Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896618 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have at least 6 CD's on their way to me now. Mix of old and new stuff. One of them shipped from Poland.

Is there an AA equivalent for CD buyers?

I had 6 CD's arrive today, 5 from CD Japan and one from Amazon.
Nearly all my collection is on discogs some 2,925, with not everything I have yet on their database and I started in 2015  :biggrin:
If your really curious you can look at what I have, my username is pure666metal  :yarr

I started doing the discog thing because I think you mentioned it.  I gave up an hour in because I realised how many hours it would actually take me to log them all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

We have a chain over here called JB HiFi that still carry a lot of cd's.  They are literally everywhere and some have quite extensive selections;

That's the popular section and the metal section is decent at some of the stores.  It's always a lot of fun going into the city and browsing the few stores around as they normally all have a few things different here and there.  That's all part of the fun and why I've still been buying them up to this point.  Not for the experience, but the searching and the journey getting them.

i haven't ordered online for a little bit, but I'll always be inclined to buy something I normally wouldn't buy if I go for a day out looking.

Literally everywhere? Wolf, disregard everything that has been said in the last few posts and please keep buying these little bastards.  The CD community legitmately now depends on you and whatever is happening in Australia with CD'S.

Around 195 stores across our great country, metal section in my local has shrunk a fair bit in the past few years.
I don't buy much from them unless it's a great price.

JB Hi-Fi is one if the things I miss about Australia. I worked in the mines in Western Australia, and every time I went back to Perth, I would spend a good 400 bucks on CDS and DVDs. Back then, this would get me A LOT of music!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I would really be curious what everyone thinks their tally might be for CD buying. I’m at about 2500, Wolfster is at about 3000. There has to be more, I know someone cracked the 10,000 (Brentster?)

I wouldn't be anywhere near 10,000 discs , but all up (CD and digital with a 50/50 split) I'm guessing around 8000 albums , not including various unreleased shit I've picked up over the years.  It would probably take me the rest of my life to get around to listening to the stuff I have sitting there not listened to.  So aside from the effect of the last few years on my current listening habits (pretty much nil) , my drive to check out much new music has waned a lot.   As you guys know I used to make it my business to be across everything but the strike rate with new stuff is pretty piss poor.

I do know that JB Hifi no longer stock anything from Frontiers so they had to close their Softcock Shit section, which is sad.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I would really be curious what everyone thinks their tally might be for CD buying. I’m at about 2500, Wolfster is at about 3000. There has to be more, I know someone cracked the 10,000 (Brentster?)

I wouldn't be anywhere near 10,000 discs , but all up (CD and digital with a 50/50 split) I'm guessing around 8000 albums , not including various unreleased shit I've picked up over the years.  It would probably take me the rest of my life to get around to listening to the stuff I have sitting there not listened to.  So aside from the effect of the last few years on my current listening habits (pretty much nil) , my drive to check out much new music has waned a lot.   As you guys know I used to make it my business to be across everything but the strike rate with new stuff is pretty piss poor.

I do know that JB Hifi no longer stock anything from Frontiers so they had to close their Softcock Shit section, which is sad.

Serious?

And 8000? That's massive!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
We have a chain over here called JB HiFi that still carry a lot of cd's.  They are literally everywhere and some have quite extensive selections;

That's the popular section and the metal section is decent at some of the stores.  It's always a lot of fun going into the city and browsing the few stores around as they normally all have a few things different here and there.  That's all part of the fun and why I've still been buying them up to this point.  Not for the experience, but the searching and the journey getting them.

i haven't ordered online for a little bit, but I'll always be inclined to buy something I normally wouldn't buy if I go for a day out looking.

Literally everywhere? Wolf, disregard everything that has been said in the last few posts and please keep buying these little bastards.  The CD community legitmately now depends on you and whatever is happening in Australia with CD'S.

Around 195 stores across our great country, metal section in my local has shrunk a fair bit in the past few years.
I don't buy much from them unless it's a great price.

JB Hi-Fi is one if the things I miss about Australia. I worked in the mines in Western Australia, and every time I went back to Perth, I would spend a good 400 bucks on CDS and DVDs. Back then, this would get me A LOT of music!

Nice.  If you find a good JB you can easily lay out a heap of cash very quickly.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Serious?

That's my understanding but occasionally you might get a diehard local guy who gets the stuff in I guess.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Serious?

That's my understanding but occasionally you might get a diehard local guy who gets the stuff in I guess.

That's interesting you say that, as I have seen it depends who works there and the collection they have.  There's a JB up north in Morayfield, about an hour and a half drive that sometimes I'll go for a drive and check out.  The guy working there is a big metalhead.  I saw him at a Satriani concert once years ago too actually.  Nevertheless, the metal section at that particular JB is extraordinary.  He clearly loves his work and it shows.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Buying a new CD that you had been looking forward to for awhile was always a great time. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Buying a new CD that you had been looking forward to for awhile was always a great time.

It's just the best hey.

Offline Zoom E

I have about 1800 CDs and 500 vinyl albums. I stopped buying vinyl in 1990 but still regularly buy CDs. The cost of CDs on Amazon Canada has skyrocketed though. A few years ago a new release was around $14 - $16. Now it’s about $25.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I have about 1800 CDs and 500 vinyl albums. I stopped buying vinyl in 1990 but still regularly buy CDs. The cost of CDs on Amazon Canada has skyrocketed though. A few years ago a new release was around $14 - $16. Now it’s about $25.

Yeah, I just can't justify spending as much as 100% more for something I'm only going to rip to my computer, and listen on my PC sound system or iPhone.  I don't have a CD player / sound system otherwise.  The only discs I've gotten over the past few years are part of digital art-books, or with a DVD combo-pack.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Have you kept all your old CDs if you don't have a player?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, I did.  Years ago, I put them in sleeves along with the booklet and back covers.  I was sick and tired of the cases taking up so much space - and I only had a few hundred.  You guys with 000s!  Where do you put that shit.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Funny enough, I mostly stay away from buying physical media and just buy the MP3s from amazon usually.  I wanted to get the new Alestrom album.  So I go to Amazon to buy the digital album, but its $18! WTF, usually it's $10 and cheaper than the physical disc.  The actual CD is $15 and includes the instant digital download.  So I have a sealed Alestorm album now. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Funny enough, I mostly stay away from buying physical media and just buy the MP3s from amazon usually.  I wanted to get the new Alestrom album.  So I go to Amazon to buy the digital album, but its $18! WTF, usually it's $10 and cheaper than the physical disc.  The actual CD is $15 and includes the instant digital download.  So I have a sealed Alestorm album now.

That's a weird one indeed.

Yeah, I did.  Years ago, I put them in sleeves along with the booklet and back covers.  I was sick and tired of the cases taking up so much space - and I only had a few hundred.  You guys with 000s!  Where do you put that shit.

It takes up a shit load of shelving space for sure.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

It took a while for this one to be published, but here's the interview I did with Mark Boals, who sang with Malmsteen on some of his greatest albums: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOLqLknyLZE

Offline Deathless

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I have at least 6 CD's on their way to me now. Mix of old and new stuff. One of them shipped from Poland.

Nearly all my collection is on discogs some 2,925, with not everything I have yet on their database and I started in 2015  :biggrin:
If your really curious you can look at what I have, my username is pure666metal  :yarr

I started doing the discog thing because I think you mentioned it.  I gave up an hour in because I realised how many hours it would actually take me to log them all.

I'm around 2,500 or so, and I'm in the process of both ripping all of it (lossless) to harddrive and entering it all into Discogs.  Except for some random stuff, I'm up to "W"; I just finished "Whitesnake" and will be starting "The Who" sometime probably next week.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm around 2,500 or so, and I'm in the process of both ripping all of it (lossless) to harddrive and entering it all into Discogs.  Except for some random stuff, I'm up to "W"; I just finished "Whitesnake" and will be starting "The Who" sometime probably next week.

That must have taken a fucking long time.

Offline Deathless

Is it just me or is the new Skid Row really good? I haven't listened to their non-Bach output but this sounds great. I like it much more than the first single. Hill and Snake are a really underrated guitar duo IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l78xN_hTRLk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
@ Wolfking....CLEAR YOUR INBOX!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Is it just me or is the new Skid Row really good? I haven't listened to their non-Bach output but this sounds great. I like it much more than the first single. Hill and Snake are a really underrated guitar duo IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l78xN_hTRLk

Some context before I answer: Skid Row in its classic form with Baz, was one of my favorite bands. Slave to the Grind (the censored version which includes Beggar's Day instead of Get the Fuck Out) is one of my favorite records of all time. When he left, I didn't like Solinger (RIP), nor did I like Tony Harnell's fit. I thought ZP Theart may work out...and then I saw the 30th anniversary of Slave to the Grind with him...and he was NOT good. And not surprisingly, they replaced him a few months later.

Regarding the new songs - they seem...to be pandering to fans of the first Skid Row record. Which for its time, was good. I pop it on when I'm doing stuff around the house or mindless stuff where it can be in the background. So to me, I think the new songs are a let down. They also have used Marti Frederiksen as a co-writer on a lot of material post-Baz, and as much as I think he's a great songwriter, I also think he really gives things a commercial spin. Again - the new stuff just reeks of Skid Row circa 1988 self-titled. And that's just not what I want, as a fan.

I'm also not as high on Erik Gronwall as everyone else for this particular band. Erik is amazing, and can hit some great notes, but his voice lacks the depth some of those classic Skid songs has. It's just very thin. Great singer, and best since Baz, but I still think the voice of Skid Row needs a lot of character and depth to it. Russell Allen would have been amazing. But he's busy with SX and TSO.

On an up note, all that said about Gronwall, I really wish he was fronting the band when I saw them last summer do all of Slave to the Grind. It would have been a MUCH better performance.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 11:17:47 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online nick_z

Some context before I answer: Skid Row in its classic form with Baz, was one of my favorite bands. Slave to the Grind (the censored version which includes Beggar's Day instead of Get the Fuck Out) is one of my favorite records of all time.

YES! I actually revisited it recently, inspired by someone in the "Listening" thread. Still fantastic.

I had really enjoyed their debut. I had bought it when it came out: it was part of those albums that slowly and gently introduced me to harder-rocking music (think Alice Cooper's Trash too). I was 14 when Slave to the Grind was released and I remember at the time being pretty shocked (in a positive way) at how heavy it sounded, when Monkey Business got going. And then the title-track - man, that was unbelievable. The whole thing is chock full of great riffs and melodies. Sure, not every single song is an absolute winner, but most of them are. The playing is excellent and, well, not many singers could touch Bach at the time, I think. All the range he had shown on the debut plus the right amount of grit when needed. And those ballads - just incredible.

I have only heard the first single off the upcoming new album and, based on that, I would agree with your assessment. They definitely seem to have the self-titled in mind. Agreed on the singing too - Erik is excellent, but he's no Bach (in terms of the fit for the band, I mean).

Regardless, is it even possible for them to recapture what they were doing 30 years ago? Kinda hard to genuinely replicate that attitude. Although if they do happen to release a good, fun batch of new songs, why not? We'd be all the better for it...Plus they do sound pretty good based on a few live videos I've seen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I've only got 25 fucking free spaces, why can't I get more damn it!!!!!!!??

Online nick_z

Did you ever figure out how that works?  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I sent bosk a PM but no reply.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Skid Row s/t is a Top 10 of all time album for me.  I too was shocked by Slave to The Grind, and it took some getting used to.  At first, I wasn't prepared for that level of heaviness from Skid Row, but I grew to love it.  And those 4 power ballads are all god-tier (though, nothing touches I Will Remember You, imo).

Guess I gotta check out the new tunes.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Honestly, I applaud anyone that is still paying attention to Skid Row. That's hard core.

Online nick_z

Skid Row s/t is a Top 10 of all time album for me.  I too was shocked by Slave to The Grind, and it took some getting used to.  At first, I wasn't prepared for that level of heaviness from Skid Row, but I grew to love it.  And those 4 power ballads are all god-tier (though, nothing touches I Will Remember You, imo).

Guess I gotta check out the new tunes.

Are you just referring to Slave to the Grind? If so, which one do you count as the fourth power ballad?  :)

Honestly, I applaud anyone that is still paying attention to Skid Row. That's hard core.

I actually cannot name a single tune from anything post-Subhuman Race  :biggrin:

If there's a chance they come out re-vitalized with this new singer, I'm all for a decent new album. Although, like I said, the first single didn't impress me at all.

That said, Slave to the Grind will always be an absolute classic in my music journey.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I actually cannot name a single tune from anything post-Subhuman Race  :biggrin:

Other than 18 And Life and I Remember You, I actually cannot name a single tune from anything pre Subhuman Race either.  ;D ;D

I did see them twice back in the day though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would say the three most underrated Skid Row songs are Quicksand Jesus, Midnight Tornado, and Into Another. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I sent bosk a PM but no reply.
Pretty sure it was ariich who used to be the person to put people in usergroups, might be worth sending him a PM instead.

Online nick_z

I would say the three most underrated Skid Row songs are Quicksand Jesus, Midnight Tornado, and Into Another.

Three absolutely fantastic cuts - I don't know if I'd call Quicksand Jesus underrated, since it was a single and pretty successful (if I remember correctly), but the other two, yes, they are among my very favorites "deep" tracks in the respective albums.

There are parts in Midnight/Tornado that could pass for a Judas Priest tune - Tim, you should give it a listen, it might surprise you.

Other than 18 And Life and I Remember You, I actually cannot name a single tune from anything pre Subhuman Race either.  ;D ;D

I did see them twice back in the day though.

You should revisit Slave to the Grind. You might not love some of the stuff on it, but there are some absolute bangers (the title-track!)