Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906226 times)

Grappler and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Had a crack at Andy's Welcome Home solo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lefQ_rAg47c

First take!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to see Def Leppard maintaining the rage as they age

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That’s fucking gross.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deathless

Good to see Def Leppard maintaining the rage as they age

Their licensing company has quite a roster of artists (https://www.epicrights.com/services/). Got to find a way to maximize that long-term revenue!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
While i kind of want to shit on that merchandise.  The reality is Def Leppard has a large female fan base.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

I have an interview with Vinnie Appice next week. Let me know if you have any questions for him please!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have an interview with Vinnie Appice next week. Let me know if you have any questions for him please!

After 1987's Dream Evil, Ronnie came back with an entire new band for 1990's Lock Up the Wolves. What was the circumstances regarding you (Vinnie) and the rest of the band no longer being part of Dio?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline RodrigoAltaf

After 1987's Dream Evil, Ronnie came back with an entire new band for 1990's Lock Up the Wolves. What was the circumstances regarding you (Vinnie) and the rest of the band no longer being part of Dio?

I'll definitely ask about that.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I really don't think Rainbow gets the recognition they deserve.  I would say either Rainbow or Saxon are the biggest hard rock bands that most people have never heard of.  But with Rainbow, songs like Lady of the Lake, Man on the Silver Mountain, Stargazer, Stone Cold, Street of Dreams etc are all outstanding.  Has anyone ever heard Rainbow or Saxon played on regular radio ?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I really don't think Rainbow gets the recognition they deserve.  I would say either Rainbow or Saxon are the biggest hard rock bands that most people have never heard of.  But with Rainbow, songs like Lady of the Lake, Man on the Silver Mountain, Stargazer, Stone Cold, Street of Dreams etc are all outstanding.  Has anyone ever heard Rainbow or Saxon played on regular radio ?

When I was a kid, I often heard Man On The Silver Mountain, Jealous Lover, Since You've Been Gone, Stone Cold, and Street Of Dreams.

Plus MTV used to play All Night Long, Death Alley Driver, and Can't Happen Here.

I think as far as longevity, Saxon is amazing.

I don't know if Rainbow is underrated. Ritchie Blackmore is one of the most popular guitarists of all time. I would also say that the Dio/Rainbow albums are the most inconsistent of the bunch.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Rainbow is a band that I have a few of their albums but just never really were able to get a firm grasp on them.  I don't know, flame me, but I've never seen what all the fuss is about with Blackmore, I honestly don't think he's a good as the credit he gets.  Maybe I need more exposure to him.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Rainbow is a band that I have a few of their albums but just never really were able to get a firm grasp on them. I don't know, flame me, but I've never seen what all the fuss is about with Blackmore, I honestly don't think he's a good as the credit he gets.  Maybe I need more exposure to him.

Oh boy, now you did it. 10,000 word response, not to mention the countless parentheses, commas, and semi colons, from Stadler incoming.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

When I was a kid, I often heard Man On The Silver Mountain, Jealous Lover, Since You've Been Gone, Stone Cold, and Street Of Dreams.

Plus MTV used to play All Night Long, Death Alley Driver, and Can't Happen Here.

I don't know if Rainbow is underrated. Ritchie Blackmore is one of the most popular guitarists of all time. I would also say that the Dio/Rainbow albums are the most inconsistent of the bunch.

Definitely wouldn't say underrated, I just think unknown.  Just never hear Rainbow or Saxon mentioned whatsoever besides the hardcores.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Rainbow is a band that I have a few of their albums but just never really were able to get a firm grasp on them. I don't know, flame me, but I've never seen what all the fuss is about with Blackmore, I honestly don't think he's a good as the credit he gets.  Maybe I need more exposure to him.

Oh boy, now you did it. 10,000 word response, not to mention the countless parentheses, commas, and semi colons, from Stadler incoming.

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Give me 3, maybe even 5 songs to check from him to change my mind.  Rainbow, Deep Purple, whatever.

I mean, he's pretty great but never quite got the cult following.  My age probably has a big part in that though.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Unless Tim does a Rainbow or Deep Purple party listening discography festivus, I'm going to say no chance you will get into Ritchie lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Unless Tim does a Rainbow or Deep Purple party listening discography festivus, I'm going to say no chance you will get into Ritchie lol

Tim is not doing one of those. :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
haha, no kidding, what a bunch of work those listening rock festivus parties are.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Maybe Bill can give me some songs then.  I know a lot but just never really been wowed by him.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Maybe Bill can give me some songs then.  I know a lot but just never really been wowed by him.

Probably move on Wolfster, I can give you Lady of the Lake, Perfect Strangers, Strargazer, Tarot Woman, Strombringer, Child in Time, BURN, Stone Cold, Street of Dreams..........safe to say you will say solid and be done.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll go through and revisit some of these songs J for sure.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

They are amazing hard rock songs, not sure if you will find them enjoyable....obviously many more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

They are amazing hard rock songs, not sure if you will find them enjoyable....obviously many more.

As I said, I know most of those, but I'll listen more intensely.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Solid answer by Wolfamania.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
But The Cult also rocks!!!

Offline Deathless

I recently got into Saxon and their last few albums have been great. I also reversed course and started with some of their early albums and production-aside they've written a lot of really good tracks.

It feels like they've actually gotten more popular in the last 10-15 years than they ever were previously. Their 80's albums all broke into the Billboard top 200 but was the lack of a huge hit the reason they never broke through in the US?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New age Saxon is just too good.  Since Lionheart they haven't put a foot wrong.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Any more small-venue shows in line for "Last In Line"?  Is Andrew still doing that now that he's in Great White as well (I heard he was)? 

I saw Vinnie in about a 200 seat club a couple years ago with Last In Line (got to meet him and his girl/wife/partner after and even walked with him out to his car) and it was AMAZING.  Nice guy; humble for the career he's had.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm too shaken.  I need a moment.  Haha. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Definitely wouldn't say underrated, I just think unknown.  Just never hear Rainbow or Saxon mentioned whatsoever besides the hardcores.

I'll sort of agree with you; even when Rainbow is mentioned, it's about "Since You've Been Gone" or "Stone Cold" and dismissed as commercial crap.  I just bought a couple Rainbow CDs on Discogs - Stranger In Us All, Live in '81, Live in Japan '84, and a box of three shows from '79 - and I was amazed at how good some of that was.  The live "Difficult To Cure" (Beethoven's Ninth) from that live show from Japan (I think it's also on Finyl Vinyl) is stellar.  I really do prefer the Joe Linquito years (that's Joe Lynn Turner's real name); there is so much material hidden in there that is good.

There's a reason Dream Theater covered all of "Made In Japan", so there's that.  But if I had to name five songs to show the greatness of Blackmore, and staying away from the obvious (like Stargazer, which is unequivocally great) I'd go with...

- Highway Star; the solo is just a level above for the sort of hard rock that you'd expect at that time;
- Gates Of Babylon (from Long Live Rock n' Roll)
- Death Alley Driver (or Power) (from Straight Between The Eyes)
- Child In Time (any live version will do, though you probably want Ian Gillan singing it)
- Any of the blues instrumentals; Son Of Alerik (a Perfect Strangers b-side), Maybe Next Time (from Difficult to Cure), Weiss Heim (All Night Long b-side)

And as a bonus track, don't laugh at me, but "Fires At Midnight" from the Blackmore's Night catalogue.  I dragged my kid to see Blackmore's Night once, and while she spent most of the night on the phone in the lobby (haha) during "Soldier Of Fortune", Ritchie did an extended acoustic intro and she was like "wow, that fucker (my word, not hers) can play!"

I am a fan boy, I'll concede that.  But while he has a style, and there's a fair amount of repetition in the catalogue, there's a reason there are really only two guys in rock that get the sort of emulation and copying that Blackmore and Hendrix get.  I will also say, Blackmore is at his best when he's pissed off.   By all accounts he hated working on "The Battle Rages On", but it's some of his best work.   Some of the riffs on that record are incendiary.   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Bill, I'll have a crack at those songs.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Any more small-venue shows in line for "Last In Line"?  Is Andrew still doing that now that he's in Great White as well (I heard he was)? 

I saw Vinnie in about a 200 seat club a couple years ago with Last In Line (got to meet him and his girl/wife/partner after and even walked with him out to his car) and it was AMAZING.  Nice guy; humble for the career he's had.

Thanks, I'll ask him about that!