Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 894562 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Speaking of Badlands, looks like Craig Chaisson has joined Jake's Red Dragon Cartel.
https://bravewords.com/news/red-dragon-cartel-jake-e-lee-announces-more-north-american-tour-dates

Oh, that's terrific!  I love Chaisson's bass work.  (but FYI, it's Greg, not Craig)
Yeah, him too!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

How would I find your top 50?

What would it be under?

What kind of top 50 list is it?

See here for links to Top 50 albums lists - mine is second from the bottom under "Recently Completed"

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=39282.0
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't get the negativity for Blue Murder mentioned on the last page.  That debut album is freaking amazing IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Don't get the negativity for Blue Murder mentioned on the last page.  That debut album is freaking amazing IMO.
Wolf, I know you've heard a lot of "freaking amaxing" music in your day. But..

I bought Blue Murder when it came out and was extremely let down. I find most of it mid tempo boring rock, and the vocals, while well sung, are so boring to me.If it was filled with tasty rockers like Black hearted Woman, then it would've been a lot better, but I find it tries to be too many things and doesn't succeed at any of them.
I actually added it to my iPod a couple years ago after one of these very same conversations. Just ran through it quickly, but it just doesn't do anything for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I bought Blue Murder when it came out and was extremely let down. I find most of it mid tempo boring rock, and the vocals, while well sung, are so boring to me.If it was filled with tasty rockers like Black hearted Woman, then it would've been a lot better, but I find it tries to be too many things and doesn't succeed at any of them.
I actually added it to my iPod a couple years ago after one of these very same conversations. Just ran through it quickly, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

Hmm...I sense a bit of sarcasm here.  :lol

But seriously, that's fair enough mate.  I discovered the album a few years ago randomly and loved it.  I guess I had no expectations going into it.  That could be a reason why I enjoyed it so much.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Don't have time to find the Kiss thread, so I thought I'd drop this here.
Paul Stanley on Joe Rogan's pod cast.
https://bravewords.com/news/kiss-frontman-paul-stanley-guests-on-oprah-where-are-they-now-this-sunday

A bit long, but a great listen.

Offline Lowdz

Hmm...I sense a bit of sarcasm here.  :lol

But seriously, that's fair enough mate.  I discovered the album a few years ago randomly and loved it.  I guess I had no expectations going into it.  That could be a reason why I enjoyed it so much.

I was very excited for it, expecting Whitesnake's 1987 mk II. It tried to be but didn't quite live up to that. There were some seriously dodgy lyrics - not in the Coverdale fashion either, just lacking in any humour (Sex Child, Black Hearted Woman etc). Most of it is fine though. Valley Of The Kings - I'm a sucker for that metal Egypt sound - Ptolemy, Jellyroll, all hit the spot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Valley of the Kings could be my fav on the album, great song.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Valley of the Kings could be my fav on the album, great song.

The three tracks I come back to are Billy, Black Hearted Woman and Valley of the Kings.   Outside of those I find it solid but patchy.  And relative to 1987..............disappointing.   

There was actually meant to be a Sykes Portnoy Sheehan band before they moved ahead with Kotzen (Winery Dogs)  ............the guy just cannot get his shit together.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:21:54 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like "The King" is in decent form with his band on their current/recent tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DMOAuCeZ6XA

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Such a great band. Andy Laroque is metal's most underrated guitarists. Plus I hear tons of Schenker in Laroque's playing!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
King Diamond is one evil dude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like "The King" is in decent form with his band on their current/recent tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DMOAuCeZ6XA

The band is solid as fuck.  Especially the leads, they were super clean and precise, especially Andy who can be a bit hit or miss at times with his leads.  The King also as much as I love him has never really been a great live singer, but surprisingly sounds stronger than ever here.  Great stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Not a bad deal for $15.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Didn't even look at the price. John Sykes, Cozy Powell!! :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
And relative to 1987..............disappointing. 

Well, maybe.  But in all fairness, there are few albums from the '80s that actually can hold a candle to 1987, IMO.  I would list it as one of THE defining albums of the '80s.

:justjen:  Hmm...that gives me an interesting thread idea...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't even know about this!
https://www.amazon.com/Live-In-84-Back-Deluxe/dp/tracks/B00NO5BVCE/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

I am all over THIS!! :metal

Yeah, read about that a while ago.  Definitely a purchase right there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
   There was actually meant to be a Sykes Portnoy Sheehan band before they moved ahead with Kotzen (Winery Dogs)  ............the guy just cannot get his shit together.
They appeared together on That Metal Show. I had actually never heard or seen Sykes interviewed in all these years, but I could not believe how "too" laid back he was. He sounded completely stoned, and his eyes nearly popped out of his head when Eddie's Metal chick on the show came out. :lol

Offline Lowdz

https://www.amazon.com/Live-In-84-Back-Deluxe/dp/tracks/B00NO5BVCE/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

I'm not sure whether this is a rerelease of a live video I had back in the day. That was really good and expect this to do the business.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm not sure whether this is a rerelease of a live video I had back in the day. That was really good and expect this to do the business.

yeah, I've seen a few clips on youtube of a show around the same time which seemed like a pro release that could be what is getting released here.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
1984.................that'd be about the last time Coverdale sounded decent live  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I saw them in '88 in Oakland and in '90 in Columbia, MD, and he sounded pretty good both times.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
https://bravewords.com/news/kiss-frontman-paul-stanley-guests-on-oprah-where-are-they-now-this-sunday

Great interview. Disagreed heavily with Paul's views and logic on piracy but it was still an entertaining listen and once they changed the subject to his book things got really interesting. I actually want to read it now.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I saw them in '88 in Oakland and in '90 in Columbia, MD, and he sounded pretty good both times.

I was exaggerating - hence the  ;D   It's been a good while though and , even though I've heard "him" sound good just in recent years , the reality is he has perfected the art of using huge reverb and background singers to great effect.

I saw him on the Slip Of The Tongue tour and have numerous soundboards from the same tour and he was horrid.  And that's what - 20 years ago.   So although I exaggerated for effect , it wasn't too far off .

Great interview. Disagreed heavily with Paul's views and logic on piracy but it was still an entertaining listen and once they changed the subject to his book things got really interesting. I actually want to read it now.
Yeah - good interview but boy............the interviewer should've dropped the piracy thing a zillion times before he did.  It just got tiring.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Yeah - good interview but boy............the interviewer should've dropped the piracy thing a zillion times before he did.  It just got tiring.

It's tricky though.  He really wanted to dig and push Paul on the issue.  Yeah, it was uncomfortable, but how many times have we all complained about interviews where the interviewer didn't ask the hard question or the follow-up question when the interviewee dodged or didn't give a very deep answer?

Offline Mosh

I liked that the interviewer didn't give in to Paul and continued to challenge him, the problem is that the guy wasn't making very convincing arguments. But he probably wasn't prepared to get into a big debate about piracy anyway. I appreciate the effort at least. 
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I liked that the interviewer didn't give in to Paul and continued to challenge him, the problem is that the guy wasn't making very convincing arguments. But he probably wasn't prepared to get into a big debate about piracy anyway. I appreciate the effort at least.
I thought he made great examples for Paul to comment on, and not to derail the thread, but how exactly is Paul wrong on this issue?

Offline Mosh

I don't think Paul is wrong, necessarily (though I disagree with his stance). I just didn't like his logic on the issue. Like when he pulled out the old "you wouldn't pirate a car" thing. It seemed like a narrow viewpoint.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I agree with Paul and do not think he is wrong, but I kind of appreciate that Rogan kept pushing--not to show that Paul was wrong, but to try to get Paul to see that it is a complicated, fuzzy issue in a lot of contexts, and it is difficult to draw the line sometimes.  The problem is just that Rogan is such in inept moron that it (not surprisingly) came across as awkward.

Offline Mosh

I think that's the main problem, they were both simplifying a complicated issue.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't know. I thought the discussion on Piracy was excellent. I thought Rogan went back to the therapy thing way too much.
But what was extremely interesting was how Paul described how he felt about creating new characters, and also that he wanted to take the makeup off for Creatures.

Offline Mosh

That's funny, I was relieved when the piracy discussion ended and thought the therapy thing was interesting. That was a side of Paul I'd never seen before.

Yea that stuff was interesting too. From what I understand, Gene was very against taking the makeup off, and I guess Paul backed down the first time but got his way eventually. Incidentally, this is also where Gene's interest in the band seemed to wane.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yea that stuff was interesting too. From what I understand, Gene was very against taking the makeup off, and I guess Paul backed down the first time but got his way eventually. Incidentally, this is also where Gene's interest in the band seemed to wane.
Very true. Paul carried that band on his back through the 80's.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I've been reading Paul's bio and Gene was in and out earlier than you know with regards to recording.  He is very frank about all, mostly himself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC