Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907234 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Not that Bon Jovi is hard rock, but I don't know where else to put it, but...

I was seeing mentions of him totally sucking and even lip synching on his current tour. I've watched a few vids and he is fucking dreadful.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Bon Jovi had been terrible for ages but yeah - some of the 2021-2022 footage is beyond horrendous.  There has to be something wrong with him , whether it be some sort of degenerative illness or (more likely) deafness but he is so far off in terms of pitch/timing it's embarrassing to watch.

In recent weeks apparently he has suddenly improved quite a bit (not saying much) and is turning his back on the audience for most of the show and won't take the mic away from his mouth.  Draw your own conclusions.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 10:13:10 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Some simply don't know when to quit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Cleanbreak

https://youtu.be/k0UOjYvW7MI

Certainly not the worst thing on Frontiers

This actually reminds me of when Frontiers were putting out solid melodic rock.  Good song.

Just spun this today.  Yeah, this was most excellent.  Spot on comment, Kade.  Reminded me of Shaft of Steel.  Will definitely be looking for this when it's fully released.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Shaft of steel??  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Shaft of steel??  :lol

Don't knock it until you've tried it. 

:zydarscouch:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Anxiously awaiting Tim's reaction to Shaft of Steel .........imagining how some of Tim's favourite adjectives for albums might work in with that :lol
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 08:20:47 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Anxiously awaiting Tim's reaction to Shaft of Steel .........imagining how some of Tim's favourite adjectives for albums might work in with that :lol

It's rock hard.

I mean ..... it rock's hard.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
When Chad sent them to me, I couldn't get over the name.  I still can't.  Like seriously, WTF?!  If they were a Steel Panther kind of band fair enough but what he sent me was good, melodic yet wholesome melodic rock.   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:lol

First of all, WTF kind of name is Shaft Of Steel? Was Schlong Of Iron taken?

And I was expecting some sort of Manowar style music, but this is limp as fuck.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

:lol

First of all, WTF kind of name is Shaft Of Steel? Was Schlong Of Iron taken?

And I was expecting some sort of Manowar style music, but this is limp as fuck.

:lol How appropriate.

Also, I think Schlong of Iron is a new Rob Halford side project.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, I'd much rather take Rob Halford's Schlong Of Iron anyday.

There you go guys. Have at it. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online nick_z

Bon Jovi had been terrible for ages but yeah - some of the 2021-2022 footage is beyond horrendous.  There has to be something wrong with him , whether it be some sort of degenerative illness or (more likely) deafness but he is so far off in terms of pitch/timing it's embarrassing to watch.

In recent weeks apparently he has suddenly improved quite a bit (not saying much) and is turning his back on the audience for most of the show and won't take the mic away from his mouth.  Draw your own conclusions.

Yeah, I was watching some videos too, and been reading about what's going on...unfortunately, it really is pretty terrible and not just in the sense of him not being able to reach certain notes anymore (which has been true for a while and not unusual, of course) but, as you say, truly having trouble singing anything in the correct pitch. It does make you think something is going on, but who knows. It's sad to watch, considering he, and the band, have always put on a solid and entertaining show over the years...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, I was watching some videos too, and been reading about what's going on...unfortunately, it really is pretty terrible and not just in the sense of him not being able to reach certain notes anymore (which has been true for a while and not unusual, of course) but, as you say, truly having trouble singing anything in the correct pitch. It does make you think something is going on, but who knows. It's sad to watch, considering he, and the band, have always put on a solid and entertaining show over the years...

A recent performance actually popped in my Youtube feed as I was scrolling last night so I watched it.  Fuck, has something happened to him?  It's like he's lost a part of his brain or something.  His singing was bad and since it was Living on A Prayer he didn't much in the back half of the song.  But it wasn't only that, he was behind the music all the time too.  One of the comments even said it was in C#M when the original is in EM, and he still wasn't even close.  That's 1 and half steps down from standard tuning.

To give people an idea, Sabbath usually always play the old songs from standard tuning but live will be in Eb so just a half step down, to give a bit more heaviness.  Also, I believe the Images and Words 2017 concert in half step down in Eb too.  Lots of bands will tune down half a step to help the singers ('Arry should have done this for Blaze) but 1 and a half steps is a major detune.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The intro to Wanted Dead Or Alive was detuned so much, it wasn't even recognizable. And I don't have an ear for that kind of thing either.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
From 1984-1993, I saw Bon Jovi 7 or 8 times. And they were GREAT live.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The intro to Wanted Dead Or Alive was detuned so much, it wasn't even recognizable. And I don't have an ear for that kind of thing either.

Yeah wow.  I might check out some more out of curiosity as one of the comments on the vid I watched said it was a much better performance than some of the other shows.  WTF?! I thought!  :omg:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
From 1984-1993, I saw Bon Jovi 7 or 8 times. And they were GREAT live.

Never a fan as you know but they seemed to have the chops live and put on a good show for sure.  That's why when you see it get this bad, someone has to say something and tell him it's over.  I know we rag on James but fuck you'd hope he'd have the smarts to quit if he ever got this fucking bad.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah wow.  I might check out some more out of curiosity as one of the comments on the vid I watched said it was a much better performance than some of the other shows.  WTF?! I thought!  :omg:

And tickets to these shows aren't cheap I bet.

Yeah, he's a train wreck. And then listen to Kiske sing Skyfall the other night.....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
JBJ is awful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBryTebK2Og

Brent, this dude is from Melbourne. Do you know who he is?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I should check out that Heavy Metal Parking lot thing, never have.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

https://youtu.be/QBryTebK2Og

It's really only the first half of this. Guy walking around the parking lot while people are tailgating before a Priest show on 5/31/86 in Maryland. I saw them 5 days later..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

https://youtu.be/QBryTebK2Og

It's really only the first half of this. Guy walking around the parking lot while people are tailgating before a Priest show on 5/31/86 in Maryland. I saw them 5 days later..

:metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
JBJ is awful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBryTebK2Og

Brent, this dude is from Melbourne. Do you know who he is?

Which dude is that?   The 20 yo guy smooching his 13yo girlfriend ?  He's not from down my way :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Dammit, wrong video. :lol

This one!
https://youtu.be/2xPhkP_lF-g?t=482

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
His facial structure closely resembles the mightly DLR but no...................don't believe I have come across him.  I did get a laugh at his bewildered look as he listened to JBJ - exactly how I have felt watching recent Bon Jovi vids .

I checked out his history and it seems his performing history is more on the musical theatre side.   The only thing related to musical theatre that I have ever attended is Dream Theater  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
His facial structure closely resembles the mightly DLR but no...................don't believe I have come across him.  I did get a laugh at his bewildered look as he listened to JBJ - exactly how I have felt watching recent Bon Jovi vids .

I checked out his history and it seems his performing history is more on the musical theatre side.   The only thing related to musical theatre that I have ever attended is Dream Theater  :lol

Offline Lowdz

They should just let Phil X sing. It’s embarrassing. And they charge stupid money too.

On the bright side, I’m off to see Geoff Tate on his much delayed Rage For Order/Empire show on Friday. Should be a good night.

Offline Lowdz

Regarding JBJ, Justin Hawkins of the Darkness suggests it might be plastic surgery/Botox related. Could be?

https://youtu.be/cv7IMEELY_Q

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If anyone's interested a 35-40 min special on Bon Scott ("Australian Story") aired on Aussie TV last night with an intro by Brian Johnson  + many first time interviews etc...with his family and so on.  Not sure how long it'll be up for but it can be viewed here , assuming there's no geo-block outside Australia

https://www.abc.net.au/austory/on-the-brink-the-legend-of-bon-scott/13868820

« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 06:36:56 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, just watched the whole thing. Thank you for the link!

A phenomenal watch. The footage of Fraternity is outstanding. And it was cool to learn that AC/DC hung out with the Geordie guys in London.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Another link for you Tim..........good chance you've seen it (it's old) but thought I would post anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWzVkitDKFE

If that's not of interest then I'm sure this will be  :lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd1Sn1igFNV/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Another link for you Tim..........good chance you've seen it (it's old) but thought I would post anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWzVkitDKFE

So...I actually have seen that before. They have a great relationship.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd1Sn1igFNV/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

Holy shit that's awesome. I never knew how to look like a dork before! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Holy shit that's awesome. I never knew how to look like a dork before! :lol

I love the way he says "it's on the house"  ....what a generous man :rollin

www.theguitardojo.com.au