Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907537 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Hammerfall is really really good!!  :metal

Hell yes, I said that when I got it. Reminds me of Renegade a bit. Did you catch the King Diamond cameo?

This is the best Hammerfall album for me in a long time.

Whhhaa??  I'll relisten today.  How did I miss this??  Look forward to finding them.

It's just in one spot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Hell yes, I said that when I got it. Reminds me of Renegade a bit. Did you catch the King Diamond cameo?

Whhhaa??  I'll relisten today.  How did I miss this??  Look forward to finding them.

It's just in one spot.

I'll spin the album again soon.

Stuck working from home today as I was a bit crook late last week and on the weekend so did one of those RAT tests that came back a strong positive for COVID!  This was all I need haha.  Point of the story is, I'll get a bit of listening done today.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh shit, that sucks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Meh, it's been fine.  Bad body aches, fever, fatigue, headaches and bit of a sore throat.  To be honest, I've had flus worse than this in the past.  If COVID wasn't a thing, I'd continue through it without missing a beat.  Only did a test because I thought I should as it's the done thing these days.  It's really nothing though.....for me anyway.  I'm not vaxxed either so not sure how much of that comes into play, but after this there's nothing telling me I should go out and get jabbed.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Damn man.  I hope this doesn't get worse for you.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn man.  I hope this doesn't get worse for you.

thanks mate.  I'm already on the up.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

It's just in one spot.

That's really hidden right at the back half of Venerate Me.  Seems pointless to be honest.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It is, kinda.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Great album though.  Some very cool creative solo sections too.  Pontus has some great chops.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Holy fuck, this new Saxon album fucking rips!!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Ran through it again.  How old are these badasses?  This is fucking quality heavy metal.  Nothing soft on here either.  There is some of their heaviest shit here.  Age of Steam and Supernova absolutely burn!!

The Pilgrimage brings Lionheart era to mind and everything about this song is perfectly executed.  Lady in Gray is like Queen of Hearts 2.0 also, great song.

What an album, this could rank almost at the top of the whole later day Saxon era.  Incredible.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Ran through it again.  How old are these badasses?  This is fucking quality heavy metal. 

Biff Byford-71 (original member)
Paul Quinn-69 (original member)
Nigel Glockner-71  (drummer from 81-99, rejoining in '05)
Doug Scarratt-62 (guitarist since '96)
Nibs Carter-56 (bassist since '88)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Incredible.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Kade, listening to Evil Invaders.

I don't know whether to  :lol or  :metal .

My fucking throat hurts just listening to this guy. Musically it's pretty solid though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol  I love the vocals personally.  But yeah, dunno how the dude has vocal cords left!

Eternal Darkness!  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Why would you do this to me, Kade??
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Quote from: Mat Sinner's FB page
After such a log break, we can finally announce that we've started working on a new PRIMAL FEAR ALBUM

:caffeine:

Online nick_z

Speaking of Leppardisms...

I posted this in the Album Thread last week.

Released today. Really digging the Old School vibe on this. The singer has a great voice too.

The Tiger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8kutDV6zR8

Kassiopeia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_0wz8UtlQ
Early 80's style heavy metal instrumental. Reminds me a bit of March Of The Crabs. :metal

Good shit!

...and purchased! Fucking love this!

I am LOVING this album. Has one clunker (Hungry For Your Heart-what a fucking icky title). Reminds me a bit of Pyromania Era Def Leppard.

I gotta say, I'm enjoying this. I actually don't dislike Hungry For Your Heart...if I have to pick out a semi-clunker, I'd say Fever Eyes. But you are right that The Tiger is fantastic.

Since you mentioned this in parallel with Seven Sisters - for my taste, I prefer Seven Sisters' sound, but this is a cool album, for sure.

Kade, listening to Evil Invaders.

I don't know whether to  :lol or  :metal .

My fucking throat hurts just listening to this guy. Musically it's pretty solid though.

:lol  I love the vocals personally.  But yeah, dunno how the dude has vocal cords left!

Eternal Darkness!  :metal

:lol Yeah, the vocals sound borderline insane at times. Maybe a little much, although I'm getting used to them, a couple of listens in. The album is very good though - some tasty, melodic thrashing going on in here!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Why would you do this to me, Kade??

Lol, sorry mate.  I didn't think the vocals were that far out there but when Tim commented I was like........'ah shit hahaha'!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Fever Eyes isn't a great track. The chorus kind of lets it down. Walk With Titans (Hearts Will Break) sounds like it was directly lifted from Pyromania.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Quote from: Mat Sinner's FB page
After such a log break, we can finally announce that we've started working on a new PRIMAL FEAR ALBUM

:caffeine:

Hopefully means Matt is back fit and healthy again.

Online nick_z

Oracle - As Darkness Reigns (1993)

Do you guys know this one? I was dusting off some old stuff, and this CD came up. A few posts above we were talking about throat-shredding vocals - well, it's not too different here  ;D The singer is actually very good when he doesn't go over-the-top screaming but, man, when he does, it's a little much (and they could probably lose some of the oh-oooh-ohs...)

This band was originally called Prodigy and had a demo - in fact, it sounds like this is just the demo re-published as the debut. As far as I know, this is the only thing they released. The sound is kinda raw, but there is some tasty US power-prog here. The riffage is great and pretty fierce, almost thrashy at times.

The whole thing is a tad exhausting in one sitting - everyone is playing with almost relentless intensity (that drummer is pounding pretty hard!) and the songs are long. There's a lot of soloing with classical influences, and the sweeps come from all over  ;D Again, it's a little out of control sometimes, and they could all use some restraint (you can tell it's a demo - a well-recorded one, for sure, but a demo nonetheless)...I guess it was youthful exuberance...

Anyway, I've always had a fondness for this one and I enjoy it when I occasionally revisit it.

No streaming, but the album is here if you are curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1a8WlRE-zQ

(Looks like the singer passed away - RIP  :-[)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nick, that is fucking tasty. Seems the drummer is Brent Smedley on this.

Online nick_z

Yes, that's right! And his brother Kent on guitars...

Metal Archives has this other band, Eternal Odyssey, with just the two of them, releasing an album in 2019 (Awakenings). I'll have to check that one out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This popped into my youtube feed today. Great footage of Accept from 1981.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt1k6I0aptM

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listened to a fantastic interview this morning..

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/dean-delrays-let-there-be-talk/id546210508

..just scroll down to the Viv one, I think its the third one down.

I saw a brief recap on youtube about his time with Dio and not getting paid, so I accessed this, the whole interview, and I literally just sat through the entire 90 minutes. It's career spanning and gives insights into playing in Ireland, his love for Gary Moore and Thin Lizzy, joining Dio, his cancer, and his time with Def Leppard. He interview asks they key questions and it's really revealing.

@ Kingshmegland, he mentions New Hampshire about the 55 (55:20) minute mark, and again mentions that he lives on the East Coast towards the end when talking about recording the new Def Lep album.

I wish I liked Def Leppard's music more. I really do.

Online nick_z

Stray Gods - "Storm the Walls"

Ok, so this is for the most part pure Iron Maiden worship, so don't expect anything new...but I guess I'm enjoying this more than I should?  ;D

The band is from Greece and, in a way, the sound is a mix of early and more recent Maiden. Sometimes it's almost uncanny how similar the singer sounds to Dickinson (the beginning of Black Horses!). I can hear a slight power metal influence in Naked in the Fire (Edguy, maybe?) and some 80s melodic hard rock in Love in the Dark (and dare I say the solo is a little Mr Crowley-esque?), but otherwise we are talking Iron Maiden through and through.

It's short and sweet, though, and a fun listen!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :rollin :rollin

This is too much!

I have about a half dozen albums in my Spotify that sound just like Maiden.

It's actually pretty good musically. It's just hard to take these vocals seriously.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Saw this on a new album ticker..

Dorothy-Gifts From The Holy Ghost

Here's a video to the song Rest In Peace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg2P3MH5WYs

Pretty standard musically, but holy shit she has an amazing voice! Gonna check out the rest of the album and will report back..

Offline jammindude

Pretty standard musically, but holy shit she has an amazing voice! Gonna check out the rest of the album and will report back..

That song was so country I thought it was gonna marry its cousin.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

That song was so country I thought it was gonna marry its cousin.

:lol

Country? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

This is too much!

You want a replica of Maiden??  Try Monument - Hair of the Dog is a good song/album as evidence.  If imitation is the sincerest form of flatter, then Maiden is flattered-as-fuck by these guys.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

This is too much!

You want a replica of Maiden??  Try Monument - Hair of the Dog is a good song/album as evidence.  If imitation is the sincerest form of flatter, then Maiden is flattered-as-fuck by these guys.

Yes, you hooked me up with then a few years ago.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Although I quoted you, the comment was directed to Nick mostly.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Although I quoted you, the comment was directed to Nick mostly.

:blush :blush :blush :blush :blush