Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907774 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline nick_z

Great news - I loved For All Kings. Liked it much, much better than Worship Music, so I'm excited to hear what they are cooking.

Offline Deathless

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Weird, wonder what happened since they were full speed ahead with ZP.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/skid-row-parts-ways-with-singer-zp-theart-replaces-him-with-ex-h-e-a-t-frontman-erik-gronwall/

He's a better fit than Theart................has the raw energy and live chops that they've been missing.  Probably boosts their profile in Europe but it's all pretty late in the game. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ran through Blizzard Of Ozz this morning, and I must say that Don Airey has some very tasty parts on the album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deathless

Weird, wonder what happened since they were full speed ahead with ZP.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/skid-row-parts-ways-with-singer-zp-theart-replaces-him-with-ex-h-e-a-t-frontman-erik-gronwall/

He's a better fit than Theart................has the raw energy and live chops that they've been missing.  Probably boosts their profile in Europe but it's all pretty late in the game.

For sure. New song was released today, what are all your thoughts? I think the Music and production is pretty good, some of the vocals/lyrics are meh. Interested to hear the rest of the album later this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVBK1bvCczU

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I dug it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Lyrics are fucking horrible. Seriously. Who are they aiming at with that?

The singer from HEAT is cool, though, and I liked their first 2 records a lot. If they could fix them lyrics I'll be right on board.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

The singer from HEAT is cool, though, and I liked their first 2 records a lot. If they could fix them lyrics I'll be right on board.

Fortunately, I was multi-tasking, and not really paying attention to the lyrics!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I think he sounds very close to Sebastian Bach, almost like an Arnel/Steve Perry thing.  The song reminded me of classic Skid Row. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory

Fortunately, I was multi-tasking, and not really paying attention to the lyrics!

:lol

Offline Deathless

Yeah on a second and third listen they are BAD. Also, I don't personally dig the spaces where it's just the singer singing over a drum beat but it's OK. I love the guitars and production. If this is a middling/decent track the album should be good.

Offline Lowdz

He wasn’t the singer on the first two HEAT albums, that was the guy with the gigantic mouth that I really can’t watch. Erik has one of those voices that I can listen to on anything- it just sounds great.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Blackout was released 40 years ago today.

I bought the cassette at a campground/gas station in North Carolina as we were driving to Florida. My father let me get it, but warned me that I might not be able to get something at Disney, which is where we were heading. That was fine with me.

1982 was the summer between my 8th and 9th grade. I was 13.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory

He wasn’t the singer on the first two HEAT albums, that was the guy with the gigantic mouth that I really can’t watch. Erik has one of those voices that I can listen to on anything- it just sounds great.

I've only heard H.E.A.T II, tbh.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Here's the new guy with Skid Row.
https://youtu.be/2_kplXloSwc?t=46

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Tearing Down the Walls and Address the Nation are both brilliant.  Especially ATN.  Don't care for much else from these guys.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Will have a bash. Nice one.

Offline gazinwales

The always brilliant Tommy Johansson does it again with is take on Alone
https://youtu.be/K7iDWCZNu4c

Offline Deathless

Here's the new guy with Skid Row.
https://youtu.be/2_kplXloSwc?t=46

Do you think he sounds just like Bas? He's really close at times, in others he's not. Actually reminds me a bit of Todd with Queensryche. Has some nice grit to his voice in places.

I never saw them with Bach but he had an incredible range back in the day.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory

Tearing Down the Walls and Address the Nation are both brilliant.  Especially ATN.  Don't care for much else from these guys.

I tried ATN tonight. Holy shit, that cheese is intense! Pungent! The Leppardisms on the title track were quite offensive to me but the full force flavour kept me in. For a while. Then I had to bail. I'll go back to it cos if there are other songs without the Lep vibes I expect I'll be tickled. I played Adrenalin from HEAT II afterward and that fully delivered.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Speaking of Leppardisms...

I posted this in the Album Thread last week.

Released today. Really digging the Old School vibe on this. The singer has a great voice too.

The Tiger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8kutDV6zR8

Kassiopeia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_0wz8UtlQ
Early 80's style heavy metal instrumental. Reminds me a bit of March Of The Crabs. :metal

Good shit!

...and purchased! Fucking love this!

I am LOVING this album. Has one clunker (Hungry For Your Heart-what a fucking icky title). Reminds me a bit of Pyromania Era Def Leppard.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Added to my 'check it out list' of 2022 releases.

Offline Lowdz

Speaking of Leppardisms...

I posted this in the Album Thread last week.

Released today. Really digging the Old School vibe on this. The singer has a great voice too.

The Tiger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8kutDV6zR8

Kassiopeia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_0wz8UtlQ
Early 80's style heavy metal instrumental. Reminds me a bit of March Of The Crabs. :metal

Good shit!

...and purchased! Fucking love this!

I am LOVING this album. Has one clunker (Hungry For Your Heart-what a fucking icky title). Reminds me a bit of Pyromania Era Def Leppard.

Sounds like a hundred other NWOBHM albums that went nowhere to me. Each to their own 🤷‍♂️

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I checked one track, it was....solid.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm two songs in, and i would concur.  I don't get the Leppard vibes (yet).  I'll spin the whole thing, but atm, I'm not thinking it's something I'll come back to.  This year has actually been littered with some really good releases, and we're not even 100 days into the year.  I've bought already bought 5 albums, and have another 15 saved on Spotify.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

This review is solid.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Spun the whole thing. It improved as it went along. I think I will give this a few more listens.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Spun the whole thing. It improved as it went along. I think I will give this a few more listens.

Yeah, there's some excellent old school style music on it. I dig it big time. I mean I could do without Hunger For Your Heart and Fever Eyes is pretty weak, but I like everything else on it. The Tiger is an awesome tune.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Hammerfall is really really good!!  :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
I enjoyed Bomber enough but not to come back to. Would be abs delighted to walk into a small local venue and find them playing though.

Spidergawd VI is still getting regular rotation for me in the classic rock/metal area. Just some perfect moments on there. The sound, the vibe. Will be one of my AOTY contenders, for sure. :metal

There are a couple of slightly-scruffy-sounding, female-fronted bands I like in this area too.

Tower - Shock To The System
Sanhedrin - Lights On

Neither are perfect but both have good vibe. Tower, I'd love to see live. She just pushes every vocal to the max.  :lol

The chick from Sanhedrin sounds a LOT like comeback era Joey Tempest to me, strangely.

And just because I'd feel bad if I didn't mention it - King Witch - Body Of Light is a cracker.

Offline Lowdz

I played it last week and enjoyed it. And that’s never happened with a Hammerfall album before :omg:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Hell yes, I said that when I got it. Reminds me of Renegade a bit. Did you catch the King Diamond cameo?

This is the best Hammerfall album for me in a long time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Hell yes, I said that when I got it. Reminds me of Renegade a bit. Did you catch the King Diamond cameo?

This is the best Hammerfall album for me in a long time.

Whhhaa??  I'll relisten today.  How did I miss this??  Look forward to finding them.