Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907907 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
I hadn't heard of them either. Ran into them on Spotify and just kept going back to them and they grew on me to the point where they're a regular listen. This latest album is the best, afaic. TBH, that wasn't the track i wanted to link to but there was a vid for it so, yeah.

I'll have to check Dead Lord.

Edit: Dead Lord are ticking boxes for me so far, but far more straight Lizzy tribute than Spidergawd. SG are heavier and the guy who sings for SG has an absolutely top notch delivery, imo. But liking Dead Lord so far. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 09:18:39 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ozzy554

"New" Tony Martin song Lost in Time https://youtu.be/7uHd9o7phAc

This was a Demo Tony Martin recorded for Geoff Nicholls while they were working on Scream (2005). More backstory in the description of the video.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Lowdz

Here's another one of the random re-discoveries that I sometime share in this thread:

Dark at Dawn - "Crimson Frost" (2001)

I remember liking this when it came out and for some reason I've enjoyed revisiting it today. Peculiar power metal from Germany, with "burly" vocals and an epic feel. What makes it peculiar is the almost "gothic-metal" influence that creeps in at times. I can totally hear a mid-career Sentenced influence in some songs (the opener "The Frozen Tear", for example). To top it off, they cover Gary Moore's Out in the Fields and it kinda works!

Anyway - an interesting record. I don't think it's on the usual streaming platforms, but it looks like it's on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fUV1nXX5js

Wow, this is excellent! :tup

Those vocals are hilarious. In a bad way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
https://bravewords.com/news/sabaton-guitarist-tommy-johansson-covers-gary-moore-classic-thunder-rising-video

I love Tommy Johansson. He recently joined Sabaton, but I've been following him for years in Goden Resurrection and his own band Reinxeed. The guy worships Gary Moore, and this is a great cover, especially vocally. But as hard as he tries, there's just no recreating Gary's guitar.
Still, a fantastic cover of Thunder Rising.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zoom E

Huh..never heard of them.
While I didn't love the song you linked, I checked out a few tracks on the album on Spotify. They are another one of those bands that channel some Thin Lizzy.  My favorite of the bunch is Dead Lord.

TAC, have you ever heard Pride Tiger? I believe they just released one album, in 2007. Major Thin Lizzy influences. This tune used to get some radio play in Canada.

https://youtu.be/kYxPdOF6qQw

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
While I didn't love the song you linked, I checked out a few tracks on the album on Spotify. They are another one of those bands that channel some Thin Lizzy.  My favorite of the bunch is Dead Lord.

TAC, have you ever heard Pride Tiger? I believe they just released one album, in 2007. Major Thin Lizzy influences. This tune used to get some radio play in Canada.

I have not.

The link you linked is unavailable. I did find a video to The Lucky Ones. I assume it's the same song. This is pretty poppy, but yes, total Thin Lizzy influence. Cool!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zoom E

I have not.

The link you linked is unavailable. I did find a video to The Lucky Ones. I assume it's the same song. This is pretty poppy, but yes, total Thin Lizzy influence. Cool!

Yeah, pretty radio-friendly. The whole album is similar though less poppy, I would say.

Offline nick_z

Here's another one of the random re-discoveries that I sometime share in this thread:

Dark at Dawn - "Crimson Frost" (2001)

I remember liking this when it came out and for some reason I've enjoyed revisiting it today. Peculiar power metal from Germany, with "burly" vocals and an epic feel. What makes it peculiar is the almost "gothic-metal" influence that creeps in at times. I can totally hear a mid-career Sentenced influence in some songs (the opener "The Frozen Tear", for example). To top it off, they cover Gary Moore's Out in the Fields and it kinda works!

Anyway - an interesting record. I don't think it's on the usual streaming platforms, but it looks like it's on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fUV1nXX5js

Wow, this is excellent! :tup

Those vocals are hilarious. In a bad way.

I mean, they are not great, but not hilariously bad...Let's say they have "character"  :biggrin: At times, they remind me a bit of Taneli Jarva's vocals on Sentenced's Amok album. I do think they fit the music ok but, yes, I have heard better  ;)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn, I checked out that new Saxon video for the Pilgrimage........that was fucking amazing!!  Gotta get this album ASAP.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Damn, I checked out that new Saxon video for the Pilgrimage........that was fucking amazing!!  Gotta get this album ASAP.

That's my favorite song on the album. For a band so long in their career, they are still excelling. Really one of the most dependable bands ever.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That's my favorite song on the album. For a band so long in their career, they are still excelling. Really one of the most dependable bands ever.

They just bring it, every time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Lowdz

Weirdest thing I’ve seen on YouTube today

https://youtu.be/gK_A5xJTUdU

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Weirdest thing I’ve seen on YouTube today

https://youtu.be/gK_A5xJTUdU

Ya know... mashups are kinda fun when they're naturally done, but when you have to edit the shit out of both songs of the mashup to make it work, weird doesn't begin to describe it.  Terrible is more accurate.  I lasted about a minute.

Do your worst.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Just seen on Facebook that Dave Meniketti has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He says they’ve caught it early and the prognosis is fairly good, but I’m not ready to lose Dave!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just seen on Facebook that Dave Meniketti has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He says they’ve caught it early and the prognosis is fairly good, but I’m not ready to lose Dave!

Bugger, hopefully then he can make a full recovery.  Wonderful, underrated player.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I had prostate cancer, five years ago now. Caught early it's a doddle. A very unpleasant and painful doddle, but not too serious. My life was never really in danger. Should be the same for Dave.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh hell yes!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I had prostate cancer, five years ago now. Caught early it's a doddle. A very unpleasant and painful doddle, but not too serious. My life was never really in danger. Should be the same for Dave.

Fuck man, thank God you caught in early.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh hell yes!

You know what, I wrote the last one off but I keep coming to it regularly enough.  It's actually really very good.  After the latest Ferrymen, really keen for this.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I needed a laugh today....................thanks Udo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqOvc6dClaQ

:rollin
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Me:

I have that exact same sweeper/broom!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, that sucked on so many levels. I watched all of it in abject horror.

I can't believe anyone, especially Tim, likes Udo. Fuck, it's like listening to a throat cancer patient drown in gasoline.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I needed a laugh today....................thanks Udo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqOvc6dClaQ

:rollin

What's so funny about that? I thought it was awesome and kind of heartwarming, endearing. I'm sure any overnight janitor can relate. And musically, I thought the version was very UDO-ish, and pretty legit.

I can't believe anyone, especially Tim, likes Udo. Fuck, it's like listening to a throat cancer patient drown in gasoline.

I'm much less of an Udo fan as I am an Accept fan. Early to mid 80's Accept is music of my youth. It's really about Wolf Hoffman's addictive Schenker-like tone. They had a great drummer that I loved too. I tolerated Udo then, but he was part of what made them unique.
I've not followed Udo's solo career.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Apologies to any overnight janitors in here that we offended by my comments  :angel:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Apologies to any overnight janitors in here that we offended by my comments  :angel:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'll check the vid later, but a lot if his solo stuff to me, is amazing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
He is so convincing in the video, because if there's one dude in metal that looks like a janitor, it's fucking Udo. :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
He is so convincing in the video, because if there's one dude in metal that looks like a janitor, it's fucking Udo. :lol

With a boiler like that, no shit.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought was pretty entertaining and fun. Let the man have fun I say!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah, especially working the overnight shift.

For such an iconic and simple song, there's only so much you can do with it, but I thought he did a great job with it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, especially working the overnight shift.

For such an iconic and simple song, there's only so much you can do with it, but I thought he did a great job with it.

It's just original, and love the amount if soloing in there.  I mean, why the fuck not.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns