Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896927 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Ah, that's sad.

But as all those rock stars from the 60s and 70s aren't young anymore, sooner or later it will get to all of them.

Never was a fan of everything he did, but those Bat Out Of Hell records are great. May he rest in piece.

PS: There was even a short lived Bat Out Of Hell musical, which I saw 2 or 3 years ago (my wife is a big musical fan). Had a really weird story, but all of the hit songs were there. Some with lyrics translated to german, which was kinda strange, but overall it was really cool and showed the strength of those Jim Steinman songs.

Yeah, Mrs.jingle and I saw that as well a few years back. Sad to hear this ... Bat Outta Hell is a top 10 album of all time for me. Guess I know what I’m spinning this morning.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Guess I know what I’m spinning this morning.
:2metal:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have no idea who these guys are, but this is excellent.  Get a Ryche/Crimson Glory/Sanctuary vibe;

https://youtu.be/5jfVt6GKiC0

360 pages ago they got a mention in here  ;D

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42370.msg1929398#msg1929398

And you checked them out  :lol

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42370.msg1929507#msg1929507

Lost track of them like just about everything else these last few years.  Will check it out.  :metal

EDIT:  having checked it out .............sounds likey they are a bit more serious now and less of the parody that they were a few years back.  That's nice - sorta Sanctuary vibe.

Jeez you're good haha.  I said it wasn't bad though, so I'm consistent lol.  I did really like that song though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Loved Meat Loaf. Still one of the best gigs I ever saw back in 98 on the Lost Boys & Golden Girls tour.

His last few albums didn’t do anything for me. Bat 3 was the last one I mostly liked.

Sad. Dead Ringer was possibly the first album I ever had. I drew a decent copy of the cover for my wall back in the day, when I had some skills.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Loved Meat Loaf. Still one of the best gigs I ever saw back in 98 on the Lost Boys & Golden Girls tour.

His last few albums didn’t do anything for me. Bat 3 was the last one I mostly liked.

Sad. Dead Ringer was possibly the first album I ever had. I drew a decent copy of the cover for my wall back in the day, when I had some skills.

Sorry to hear that Lowdz. And I was just about to make a Meat Loaf post that, well, would not be appropriate for the Meat Loaf RIP Thread.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have a new shirt!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's beautiful!  :'(

:metal

Offline Lowdz

Nice.
I had a similar designed shirt of Schenker and another of Yngwie which I loved. They have both sadly died. The shirts, obviously 😁

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have a Schenker one. I love it!

Offline gazinwales

Tommy Johansson - Over The Hills And Far Away (Extended Version) cover
https://youtu.be/DBk7eCCiAcw

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This cover of Burn cracked me up..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw6vsHuqoGw

Check out their Dream Theater inspired stage presence.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Been spinning my copy of the new Ferrymen I got a few days ago and I fucking love it.  Could be the best of the three.  Magnus really dug a bit deeper on this one.  The Last Wave and Morning Star are easily two of the best songs he's ever written.  I'm impressed he's still got this quality in him after all this time.  It's classic Karlsson but has some older vibes in there, while being a bit fresh.  Drops a little in the second half but that's cause there's some killer tunes in the first half.

The title track and Morning Star have quite a bit of Dio Sabbath era feels.  The chorus of the title tracks rips off the Scarecrow from Avantasia though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I’ll check it out.

Offline Lowdz

I’ll have to revisit this. Played it once when it came out and don’t remember anything about it, but I wasn’t giving it my full attention.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't expect anyway to have the high praise I do truthfully.  Being a Magnus fan boy since The Battle, I'm critical but at the same time easily pleased.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I’ll check it out.

I wouldn't expect you to sit through an hour of your boy Ronnie!   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I’ll check it out.

"I'll check it out" only commits me for about 10 minutes. :lol

I'm going to pull it up tonight. I like Ronnie. I just eyeroll because he has sang on about 80 albums in the last three years.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I’ll check it out.

I'm going to pull it up tonight. I like Ronnie. I just eyeroll because he has sang on about 80 albums in the last three years.

Even if you check the title track, Morning Star and even City of Hate was a nice heavy one.

Offline nick_z

Here's another one of the random re-discoveries that I sometime share in this thread:

Dark at Dawn - "Crimson Frost" (2001)

I remember liking this when it came out and for some reason I've enjoyed revisiting it today. Peculiar power metal from Germany, with "burly" vocals and an epic feel. What makes it peculiar is the almost "gothic-metal" influence that creeps in at times. I can totally hear a mid-career Sentenced influence in some songs (the opener "The Frozen Tear", for example). To top it off, they cover Gary Moore's Out in the Fields and it kinda works!

Anyway - an interesting record. I don't think it's on the usual streaming platforms, but it looks like it's on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fUV1nXX5js

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Fantastic interview with Don Airey..

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/don-airey-interview-deep-purple-ozzy-osbourne-black-sabbath-1279044/
That was fantastic. How awesome would it be to hang out and drink beer with this guy? As much as you think you know about him and the bands he played with, there are an endless number of tangents and back alleys he can lead you down.

He phoned me up and said, “You gotta be at Morgan Studios tomorrow for Black Sabbath. Don’t worry. They’re very nice people.
  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Here's another one of the random re-discoveries that I sometime share in this thread:

I remember liking this when it came out and for some reason I've enjoyed revisiting it today. Peculiar power metal from Germany, with "burly" vocals and an epic feel. What makes it peculiar is the almost "gothic-metal" influence that creeps in at times. I can totally hear a mid-career Sentenced influence in some songs (the opener "The Frozen Tear", for example). To top it off, they cover Gary Moore's Out in the Fields and it kinda works!

Anyway - an interesting record. I don't think it's on the usual streaming platforms, but it looks like it's on YT:

I have one of their albums.  It's a nice listen.  Interesting sound for sure.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I’ll check it out.

Even if you check the title track, Morning Star and even City of Hate was a nice heavy one.

Gave this a run through. This album is...solid. ;D

The song I liked the most is The Last Ship. That's a great tune.

Offline nick_z

Fantastic interview with Don Airey..

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/don-airey-interview-deep-purple-ozzy-osbourne-black-sabbath-1279044/
That was fantastic. How awesome would it be to hang out and drink beer with this guy? As much as you think you know about him and the bands he played with, there are an endless number of tangents and back alleys he can lead you down.

This was a great read indeed!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Wow, this is excellent! :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I’ll check it out.

Gave this a run through. This album is...solid. ;D

The song I liked the most is The Last Ship. That's a great tune.

Wow, in the car just now I actually ran through that song and thought that should have been the one I recommended to you!  Magnus rips on that one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :metal

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Been spinning my copy of the new Ferrymen I got a few days ago and I fucking love it.  Could be the best of the three. 

I coulda swore I posted the same a while back, but can't seem to find it.  But yeah, I agree completely - there's no "could be" about it... it is the best of the three.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Been spinning my copy of the new Ferrymen I got a few days ago and I fucking love it.  Could be the best of the three. 

I coulda swore I posted the same a while back, but can't seem to find it.  But yeah, I agree completely - there's no "could be" about it... it is the best of the three.

Yeah, a couple more times through and it's definitely the strongest of the three.  :metal

Offline Lowdz

I’ll check it out.

We’ll be feeling the same way about Dino Jelusic ina year or so.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Dino from the Jelusic Era.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol  Nice one!

Offline nick_z

Sacred Outcry - "Damned for All Time" (2020)

Not sure if this was mentioned before. Very good album from this Greek band, with a slight tilt to the more epic end of the power metal spectrum. Interesting story too: the material goes all the way back to about 20 years prior- it was basically left unfinished for years, before the band (or most of it) decided to go back and properly record it.

Nothing too new, but everything works pretty great...production, vocals and songs - from the more straightforward (Legion of the Fallen, Sacred Outcry), to the more long-form (Where Ancient Gods are Still Hailed, Damned for All Time). There are a couple of ballad-y pieces too (Scared to Cry and Crystal Tears). Also, this cool tune - Lonely Man - that starts out like an old-school Scorpions ballad and then turns into a speedy beast (the more Euro power-adjacent song in the lot, I think)

Good stuff!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Spidergawd VI. I enjoyed the last one a lot (God damn, that opener) but this one feels like a step into the really awesome. Great vocals and the whole thing feels like a rocky, meaty, throbbing Lizzy/Maiden thing with more of a rock vocal. Just the right level of raw feel and when the leads kick in - beautiful. Nothing earth shattering but the perfect vibe, afaic.
https://youtu.be/x6zpDIyb85I
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Huh..never heard of them.
While I didn't love the song you linked, I checked out a few tracks on the album on Spotify. They are another one of those bands that channel some Thin Lizzy.  My favorite of the bunch is Dead Lord.