Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896809 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yes, he sounds amazing. What else has he done? That tune was kind of weak, but I'm going to give that album a spin when it comes out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

Do you guys know this album/band? From Germany, it came out in 2014. I read about it kind of randomly and checked it out...I've been really enjoying it. It's a melodic hard rock/metal album at its core, but with cool ideas thrown in the blender here and there. Super-tasty guitar work (bass too!) and nice vocals, melodic and gritty at the same time (the singer is also in the Joe Perry Project, which I guess is a bit random). Fun stuff!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I remember that album cover and checking it out .............all of the guys were from existing B to C level bands if memory serves (guitarist from Axxis, someone from Rhapsody?) .  I  recall thinking it was pretty decent but not much else.  Might revisit at some stage .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't recall one single album brought up in here that Brent hasn't known in some capacity.  Unreal.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yes, he sounds amazing. What else has he done? That tune was kind of weak, but I'm going to give that album a spin when it comes out.

Not much apparently - https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/John_%22Jaycee%22_Cuijpers/355727
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline nick_z

I remember that album cover and checking it out .............all of the guys were from existing B to C level bands if memory serves (guitarist from Axxis, someone from Rhapsody?) .  I  recall thinking it was pretty decent but not much else.  Might revisit at some stage .

Yeah, I could envision a promo blurb...21 Octayne:  a "super" group from not-so-super bands  :biggrin:

Jokes aside - like I said, I actually quite enjoyed this one. A cool little record.

Offline Lowdz

Nice!  Cuijpers has been used by Arjen the last few live shows to replace the vocal parts that Russell Allen has done in Ayreon/Star One.  He indeed does have a great voice - and is rumoured to be the current "guess the vocalist" for one of the songs from the upcoming Star One album

Saw PM a few weeks ago. Singer was phenomenal, and a little bit mental 😁😁
They played this and another song from the upcoming album. The other song sounded stronger. This is a bit twee, but they are “solid”.

Offline ozzy554

So I stumbled upon 2 songs featuring Tony martin from this year that somehow flew under my radar. Guess these will hold me over until whenever Thorns comes out.

The Sonic Overlords - Past the End of Time https://youtu.be/dffa8-ZNaww

Giuntini Deathline - A Stab in the Dark https://youtu.be/z5EcKaEP6s0
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone sample the album this year Sorrow is the Cure by Legions of the Night?  It showed up on the PPUSA Top 50 end of year list.  For those that like Savatage, spin this fucker asap.  Henning Basse in on the mic - I love his voice, but I'm only a mid-level Savatage fan.  I know a few of you are more hard-core on them, so I felt the need to highlight this.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lowdz

Anyone sample the album this year Sorrow is the Cure by Legions of the Night?  It showed up on the PPUSA Top 50 end of year list.  For those that like Savatage, spin this fucker asap.  Henning Basse in on the mic - I love his voice, but I'm only a mid-level Savatage fan.  I know a few of you are more hard-core on them, so I felt the need to highlight this.

Cheers Chad. Yeah, they are certainly channeling Savatage there. I like it though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lowdz

Great voice. Strong Italian accent! 😁

Offline Lowdz

Just watched the video. It was solid, but after a minute or so I was only really watching because of the young lady’s arse! 😁😁🤗

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Turns out I actually have a Fabio song. Was looking at his discography and noticed he sang on Ayreon's Flight Of The Migrator album.

Listening to Through The Wormhole now. 21 years ago, but he's not too bad.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://bravewords.com/news/sorcerer-release-music-video-for-cover-of-ozzy-osbourne-s-waiting-for-darkness-new-4-track-ep-available-now

4 pretty good covers here, though I'm not a fan of the slowing down of Gates Of Babylon.

I thought they butchered When Death Calls truthfully.

Offline Lowdz

https://bravewords.com/news/sorcerer-release-music-video-for-cover-of-ozzy-osbourne-s-waiting-for-darkness-new-4-track-ep-available-now

4 pretty good covers here, though I'm not a fan of the slowing down of Gates Of Babylon.

I thought they butchered When Death Calls truthfully.

I didn’t mind that to be honest. I’m with Tim on Gates Of Babylon though. Doesn’t help that it’s one of my favourite songs ever.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard Sorcerer before but I was interested enough to check out some of their own stuff. I like it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Same here. I pulled them up on Spotify and seems I had Saved their album from last year. I'll have to actually check it out. :lol

The dude has some pipes, and I thought the covers were solid. I liked their take on Crusader.

Offline nick_z

I haven't heard their last album, but their first two (In the Shadow of the Inverted Cross and The Crowning of the Fire King) are very, very good.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 06:49:13 PM by nick_z »

Offline nick_z

Speaking of the covers EP - kudos to them for the Ozzy cover. Waiting for Darkness is one of my favorite Ozzy songs. So good. Cover is pretty close to the original, great vocals.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fire King was Brent's album of 2017, I'm pretty sure.  That got me into them.  The last one was excellent but I think Fire King still might be a tad better.  I haven't gotten around to the one before that though.

Offline nick_z

Since we were talking about doom-y, epic metal...this was a nice late-year surprise, released today:

Memory Garden - 1349

From Sweden, they were around in the second half of the 90s...I have their Verdict of Posterity and Mirage albums. I missed their more recent output (which was very sparse, tbh...the last thing they put out was in 2013). Anyway, I listened to this once today and I really enjoyed it. Sounds great (Dan Swano mixing, so no surprise there) and while their core sound is as I remember from the older album, I felt more engaged with the songs, which have just the right mix of doom, epic and (mild) progginess. Great vocals and lead guitar playing too. Again, only one listen, but I'll definitely go back to it...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thanks for the rec, Nick. Just dropped the needle on it and it sounds pretty decent. I'll have to come back to it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You lost me at "doom".   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's really not all that doomy.

Offline nick_z

Yeah, it really isn't...

Offline Lowdz

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's awesome Paul. We were talking about it in another thread.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Merry Christmas Chad  ;D...............and all the legends in this thread

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Merry XMAS all!  :metal

Just past 6.00 on XMAS morning here.  Hope Ben has an awesome day Brent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Merry HO HO HO!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns