Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 901445 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
I don't want to kick the hornet's nest here, but I thought in the wake of Portnoy leaving, most of the vocals are done in his little vacuum in Canada?   I wasn't under the understanding that we get to "point fingers" to other people.

Maybe that's the problem then?  Leaving him on his own, and/or not getting real-time feedback and direction.  I have to believe that there's a 'virtual' element to things ... that while not physically in the same studio, that JP and/or JR would sync up in real-time while he's recording.  Maybe not, but then again, that is what may be the issue - leaving him completely to his own.

I’m sure the vocal melodies are mostly written for him though.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's mostly about the writing. I do not care how much time JP and MP spent getting JLB to hit "I do not fiiiight for youuuu" in just the right way when that wasn't a great vocal melody in the first place. He was free to record BAI and BITS all on his own and it was all great because the melodies worked for him and they were great melodies. Other people who want JLB in their projects know what they want him for and they write what they want him for and that's why he sounds great.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lowdz

New Dynazty. Sounds like Dynazty so that’s fine!

https://youtu.be/cBkEgjhOS_k

Also, I went to see Vega last night, and they were excellent. A couple of songs didn’t hit the mark - generally when they tried to do something a bit different from your average melodic hard rock song - but I’d go again.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Yeah, I caught that Dynasty yesterday, and you are spot on.  It was pretty much the only thing in my Spotify New Release playlist that was worth a damn.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Also, I went to see Vega last night, and they were excellent. A couple of songs didn’t hit the mark - generally when they tried to do something a bit different from your average melodic hard rock song - but I’d go again.

The last Dynazty was awesome.  I was surprised, great album.

Vega have experimented a little over the last few, the softer stuff doesn't quite work for them.  They need to stick to the flat out melodic hard rock.  Great band.  Still need to get onto the new one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://youtu.be/pjcgHPsvFVY

New Saxon.  :metal

As expected, good old fashion solid rock.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
YES! It does sound great. Biff is amazing. Saxon is automatic for me. I actually thought their last album was the weakest they've released since before Lionheart, but they have been so damn consistent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
YES! It does sound great. Biff is amazing. Saxon is automatic for me. I actually thought their last album was the weakest they've released since before Lionheart, but they have been so damn consistent.

We've talked about this before.  I don't quite agree but understand why you'd think that.  I think I'd say Call to Arms is a tad weaker.

Really though as you said, what they've done from Lionheart onwards has been remarkable.  Ljonheart was my first album from Saxon and still probably my personal fav.

Offline Lowdz

So I played Ozzy’s No More Tears today. I’ve never heard the album before. It is surprisingly excellent.

I did spit out my coffee when I heard the first couple of lines to Mr Tinkertrain though. Jeez, you can’t say that! Unless you’re Jimmy Saville or Rolf Harris 😳😳😳

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
So I played Ozzy’s No More Tears today. I’ve never heard the album before. It is surprisingly excellent.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

I did spit out my coffee when I heard the first couple of lines to Mr Tinkertrain though. Jeez, you can’t say that! Unless you’re Jimmy Saville or Rolf Harris 😳😳😳

Wow, knowing what you like and listen to, that kind of floors me a little bit.  It IS a solid record; I think it's probably my favorite non-Randy record in the catalogue.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Wow, that is a revelation Paul.  But yeah, it's a ripper.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I played Ozzy’s No More Tears today. I’ve never heard the album before.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol  why would he make that up?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

It's really unbelievable though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hey, I don't disagree.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've never listened to an entire Ozzy or Black Sabbath album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Scorps!

https://bravewords.com/news/scorpions-streaming-new-single-peacemaker

Hey Lowdz, you should check out their album Love At First Sting. It's pretty good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I feel sorry for you.

Offline Zoom E

New Scorps!

Hey Lowdz, you should check out their album Love At First Sting. It's pretty good.

The cover for the forthcoming album is kind of cool, but the album title is lame. Rock Believer.  :facepalm:

I will check out this new tune shortly.

Offline Zoom E

New Scorps!

Just gave it a listen. Definitely better than anything from their last couple of albums. Promising.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It really wasn't bad.

Offline Lowdz

New Scorps!

:lol :lol :lol :lol
You crack me up.

No, honestly, I just never bothered with it. I'd just fallen out of love with Ozzy at the time. I didn't love No Rest and wasn't a fan of Zak's playing so i just never bothered checking it out. I think I was sulking because he's got rid of Jake too. I've heard some songs from it - the singles.
I should say that I would love it more if it had a better singer on it. His "charm" was wearing thin by then.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I got a new shirt.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The Lynott! Like a fucking boss!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Lovely Mrs TAC goes.."Who's that? Jimi Hendrix?" :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh females.......

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh females.......

What are ya talking 'bout ... I thought the same thing!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh females.......

:rollin

If you are serious, we can't be friends anymore.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh females.......

:rollin

If you are serious, we can't be friends anymore.

I plead the 5th

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

You should; if you get past the hype and the radio stuff (particularly on the Ozzy stuff) there's some good material there.   I guess it depends on whether you like any of it to start with, but something like No More Tears is PHENOMENALLY consistent.  There's not a lot of gap between the best and worst songs on that album.  The mid-period Sabbath is the same way.

Offline Lowdz

Well the Star One track is fucking killer.

And I love Britny Slayes.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Praying Mantis.
https://bravewords.com/news/praying-mantis-to-release-katharsis-album-in-january-cry-for-the-nations-music-video-posted

The song is easy on the ears, even a little weak, but I'm posting to say Holy Shit! I love this guy's voice.
I wish he joined MSG instead.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice!  Cuijpers has been used by Arjen the last few live shows to replace the vocal parts that Russell Allen has done in Ayreon/Star One.  He indeed does have a great voice - and is rumoured to be the current "guess the vocalist" for one of the songs from the upcoming Star One album