Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896691 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I feel the complete opposite about it. I think it's outstanding.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm trying so hard to see what everyone else is seeing, I really am.  It just falls short for me in every possible way.  :-[

I also didn't like ADTOE so this shouldn't be a surprise to me.  DT12 is top 5 though, weird.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'm trying so hard to see what everyone else is seeing, I really am.  It just falls short for me in every possible way.  :-[

I also didn't like ADTOE so this shouldn't be a surprise to me.  DT12 is top 5 though, weird.

And I love ADTOE, but don't really rate DT12 all that high.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

And I love ADTOE, but don't really rate DT12 all that high.

That seems to be more the general consensus.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
So there's 3 of us with the same opinion.....I think we're outnumbered lads.  :lol
Make that four.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So there's 3 of us with the same opinion.....I think we're outnumbered lads.  :lol
Make that four.

:metal  we are now starting to outnumber them.....in this thread anyway.  ;D

Nice to see you too mate.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No wonder Australia is an island. ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
If I were to rank the Mangini era albums...

ADTOE
DT12
DoT

AVFTTOTW
<scroll for about 34 seconds (one for each track)>
The Astonishing

Make that four.

I'll bet JJ thinks is stinks too.

WHOOOOO!!

I gotta check in with him on FB... haven't seen him here in a while.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll bet JJ thinks is stinks too.

WHOOOOO!!

I gotta check in with him on FB... haven't seen him here in a while.

I saw jj around earlier today for the first time in ages

:metal  we are now starting to outnumber them.....in this thread anyway.  ;D

"them" = Tim in these parts :lol

I'm actually happy for the band that it's getting such a hot response from most fans.  I just don't get it.

O/T : sad to hear of the passing of legendary manager Herbie Herbert (Journey etc...)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah of course it's great it's doing so well.  Loving the band for so long, I'm glad our opinion is the minority.

Yeah I too saw J was online.  Shame he didn't say hi.

I'd rank them;

DT12
D/T
ADTOE

AVFTTOTW

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

"them" = Tim in these parts :lol

My preferred pronoun is "him". :lol

Offline Lowdz

I’m sort of with you gents. I kind of like it when I’m listening to it but afterwards I can’t remember a single chorus. And too many riffs and lines sound like other songs they’ve done before and it kicks me out of the moment. I’m sure some wag will do a video showing them all.

Next time I just want them to write some songs before they go into the studio. The widdly bits will come when they jam on the prepared songs. There’s a reason I&W was so awesome- they lived with those songs for a couple of years, played them, reworked them over and over. They need to do that. The vocals really are an afterthought and it shows.

I have to say I much prefer the Neal Morse Band album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I’m sort of with you gents. I kind of like it when I’m listening to it but afterwards I can’t remember a single chorus. And too many riffs and lines sound like other songs they’ve done before and it kicks me out of the moment. I’m sure some wag will do a video showing them all.

Next time I just want them to write some songs before they go into the studio. The widdly bits will come when they jam on the prepared songs. There’s a reason I&W was so awesome- they lived with those songs for a couple of years, played them, reworked them over and over. They need to do that. The vocals really are an afterthought and it shows.

That's a great way of putting it Paul, I agree.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I agree with that statement about the vocals.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Interesting.

Offline Lowdz

And the drums are fucking annoying. Just going mental all over the place. Just play a bloody beat, man!

Sounds like I hate it but I’m unable to hate a DT album at this point.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I've listened to the new DT once and had the same impression as for the new Maiden.

A lot of by-the-numbers, a lot of been-there-done-that, a lot of tired and uninspired sounding vocals.

But with repeated listens the Maiden grew mightily on me, maybe it will be the same with DT.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Interesting.

My number one complaint about this album, as it is with most of their albums, is that James is way underutilized. He's their secret weapon. I love JP's guitar playing, especially his melodic solos, but James is what really separates DT from many other bands.

Offline Lowdz

Interesting.

My number one complaint about this album, as it is with most of their albums, is that James is way underutilized. He's their secret weapon. I love JP's guitar playing, especially his melodic solos, but James is what really separates DT from many other bands.

:tup

His voice sounds fine on this. He’s jus5 not given much to work with.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

That's a great way of putting it Paul, I agree.

Same ... that one's a top 3 AOTY so far for me.  The more I listen to this DT album, the more I just think "why aren't I listening to ANY other DT album (other than TA, obvs).

Listen to it long enough and you will.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And the drums are fucking annoying. Just going mental all over the place. Just play a bloody beat, man!

But it sounds like you hate it.  ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Interesting.

I'm not sure James has much left in him to work with though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
But The Astonishing was only 5 years ago, and he was phenomenal on that.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I couldn't tell you a single thing from it.  The last time James blew me away was IT.  That song and his performance on that is phenomenal.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I couldn't tell you a single thing from it.  The last time James blew me away was IT.  That song and his performance on that is phenomenal.

The I guess you'll never know. You'll nnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvveeeeerrrrrrrrr know.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The I guess you'll never know. You'll nnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvveeeeerrrrrrrrr know.

Uhh......nope, I guess not.  :lol

I love James on that line though.  I get goosebumps everytime I hear that climax.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Interesting.

I kinda disagree.  Other things he's sung on this year, he sounds good - the cover of Kickstart my Heart his kid's band did, Timo Tolkki's Avalon, and the single on Evergrey's album.  With DT, he sounds awful - which I think might have as much to do with the writing, direction he's given, and production.

As for how he sounds on TA .... no comment.  I simply can't get past the rational of having a single voice try to perform - what?? - 6 or 7 different characters on a concept album.  It just didn't work... regardless of how 'good' he may have sounded.  Also, the lyrics were shit.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fair play Chad.  James did sound good on the Tolkki album and sounds great on The Beholder.  Actually, he sounds really good on that song so I'll stand corrected.  I guess I was more thinking of his range, but a song like The Beholder, be doesn't need to rely on the age aspect. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Interesting.

I kinda disagree.  Other things he's sung on this year, he sounds good - the cover of Kickstart my Heart his kid's band did, Timo Tolkki's Avalon, and the single on Evergrey's album.  With DT, he sounds awful - which I think might have as much to do with the writing, direction he's given, and production.

As for how he sounds on TA .... no comment.  I simply can't get past the rational of having a single voice try to perform - what?? - 6 or 7 different characters on a concept album.  It just didn't work... regardless of how 'good' he may have sounded.  Also, the lyrics were shit.

I don't want to kick the hornet's nest here, but I thought in the wake of Portnoy leaving, most of the vocals are done in his little vacuum in Canada?   I wasn't under the understanding that we get to "point fingers" to other people.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think that’s definitely part one of it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't want to kick the hornet's nest here, but I thought in the wake of Portnoy leaving, most of the vocals are done in his little vacuum in Canada?   I wasn't under the understanding that we get to "point fingers" to other people.

Maybe that's the problem then?  Leaving him on his own, and/or not getting real-time feedback and direction.  I have to believe that there's a 'virtual' element to things ... that while not physically in the same studio, that JP and/or JR would sync up in real-time while he's recording.  Maybe not, but then again, that is what may be the issue - leaving him completely to his own.

Offline Lowdz

Maybe that's the problem then?  Leaving him on his own, and/or not getting real-time feedback and direction.  I have to believe that there's a 'virtual' element to things ... that while not physically in the same studio, that JP and/or JR would sync up in real-time while he's recording.  Maybe not, but then again, that is what may be the issue - leaving him completely to his own.

I’m sure the vocal melodies are mostly written for him though.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just for something different the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame are going to induct a real rock musician this weekend.   Legend..........

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal