Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 904140 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Alien is excellent. And I liked Invisible Monster a lot more than you I guess. Invisible Monster, sure, I guess you could call it average, but average in this case is still pretty good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Honestly, I have only listened to the Alien I think twice.  Maybe it's time I listen to it again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I thought the two singles were average at best.  Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised.

I'm with ya brother.  I have very low expectations for this ... even lower now if "The Alien is a great example of how this album plays."

<sigh>  Could be the first DT album I don't buy.  :-\
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think I could not not buy it, but yeah, my expectations are also very very low.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think I could not not buy it, but yeah, my expectations are also very very low.

It seems inconceivable to me as well, but given the trend line of the quality of their output over the past few albums (for my liking), there's going to be a tipping point where I'm simply choosing to put my money towards music I actually love - not letting the history and status of "Dream Theater" sway my decision.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I have a pretty good feel for where this album sits with me now.  I think it's their weakest Mangini era album outside of The Astonishing (which I can't remember well).   There's nothing bad on it and a number of brilliant passages, but also nothing that grabs me from start to finish.  I would give the album something like a 7/10 and that may be a touch generous.  As per usual the performances are great and the production is pretty good - I just think they've lost a few tricks in terms of writing memorable , cohesive songs.

Song ratings after 4-5 listens of each

Transcending Time : a nice upbeat and breezy early 90s sounding song with a bit of Rush/I&W and the most commercial thing on it .  Threatened to go to another level but unfortunatley never did   8/10

Answering The Call :  My initial reaction was that this song was a cool riff and not much else , but this was the grower for me.  A more connected song than most once I let it sink in 7.5/10 and might get to 8/10

Invisible Monster:  7.25/10 -  probably didn't deserve the extra quarter point but I wanted to separate it from The Alien

The Alien :  Disliked it on first listen then it grew a bit , but just something missing for me.  7/10

A View From The Top Of The World:   Most of the last 5 minutes is great but unfortunately it took 14 mins + to get there.  The first 15 mins get a 6.5/10 ad the last 5 mins a 8.5/10.  Overall 7/10

Awaken The Master:  Liked this quite a bit on first listen but tired of it quickly.  JP's epic guitar leads are getting so samey too. 7/10

Sleeping Giant : I struggled to decipher what the intention was with this but it just seemed to meander around with little direction.  6.5/10

Some of that might change on further listens but I really don't have a desire to return to it any time soon after 4-5 listens . 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:34:51 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

It seems inconceivable to me as well, but given the trend line of the quality of their output over the past few albums (for my liking), there's going to be a tipping point where I'm simply choosing to put my money towards music I actually love - not letting the history and status of "Dream Theater" sway my decision.

This is me as well.  I haven't listened to the two songs yet - not from disinterest, but from historically underliking songs released like that - but I'm approaching this with trepidation.

Offline Lowdz

I’m enjoying it it is very much like everyone else they’ve done in the last 10 years and more. I really can’t hear another odd time signature chug on a low b . It’s just lazy and done to death. The riff at the end of the title track is great, and more of that would have been appreciated.
Instead me pretty much get a rehash of the last album, without something different like Vipeer King.

I guess setting a high standard leads to boredom. The musicianship is excellent as always, but the vocal melodies are overfamiliar and just nothing surprises.

It’s not bad, it just doesn’t stand out and is certainly not progressing.

The only new thing is the 8 string, which is a total waste of time because JM could have played the riff.

Offline Lowdz

Bloody typos but too lazy to put them right. Anyway, off to see Praying Mantis in Blackpool  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Great writeup Brent, thanks.  I have a strong feeling my thoughts will be similar.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Those are some harsh scores Brent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Great writeup Brent, thanks.  I have a strong feeling my thoughts will be similar.

I'll be spinning it tomorrow morning, and will chime in.  But my worry is that I'll be joining you two in the same boat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'll be spinning it tomorrow morning, and will chime in.  But my worry is that I'll be joining you two in the same boat.

I thought you were waiting!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Those are some harsh scores Brent.

His scores for the two singles are generous IMO.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No wonder why DT doesn't tour Australia. :lol

Offline nick_z

Is there anyone on this thread who does NOT have the album already?  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
No wonder why DT doesn't tour Australia. :lol

Hey, they've been to Brisbane, twice!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

A View From The Top Of The World:   Most of the last 5 minutes is great but unfortunately it took 14 mins + to get there.  The first 15 mins get a 6.5/10 ad the last 5 mins a 8.5/10.  Overall 7/10

You have this backwards.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

You have this backwards.

Possibly a guitarist thing as the last part is instrumental and really rocks , but we'll see what the others think in coming days.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

You have this backwards.

Possibly a guitarist thing as the last part is instrumental and really rocks , but we'll see what the others think in coming days.

I like it too, but the main vocal part ends on kind of a dud. I would've loved to have heard the chorus again, or a reprise of the guitar line at 2:42. I don't have an issue with the actual outro, but there's just no climax to the track.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

You have this backwards.

I like it too, but the main vocal part ends on kind of a dud. I would've loved to have heard the chorus again, or a reprise of the guitar line at 2:42. I don't have an issue with the actual outro, but there's just no climax to the track.

Didn't know we were talking about The Alien or Invisible Monster.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought you were waiting!

I thought the official release day was tomorrow?  Or is it next Friday?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Next Friday mate.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Is there anyone on this thread who does NOT have the album already?  :biggrin:

Yeah, me.

And I haven't heard the singles either. Waiting for my cd to arrive next friday.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I hope bosk doesn't venture into this thread lol.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
The new Gus G album fucking slays.  11 studio tracks, and 7 bonus/live ones.  This is gonna be an instant-purchase.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Chad, I did the first three songs and the Vinnie song. That's good shit right there. Thank you for the heads up. I typically ignore these kinds of releases, but I find they are perfect for work.

Offline Lowdz

Praying Mantis we’re excellent last night. The singer who works with Arden Lucassen was very good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I really like Gus as a guitar player.  I haven't followed anything from this new release but I've purchased all his solo albums so far so will probably end up getting this one too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I have a pretty good feel for where this album sits with me now.  I think it's their weakest Mangini era album outside of The Astonishing (which I can't remember well).   There's nothing bad on it and a number of brilliant passages, but also nothing that grabs me from start to finish.  I would give the album something like a 7/10 and that may be a touch generous.  As per usual the performances are great and the production is pretty good - I just think they've lost a few tricks in terms of writing memorable , cohesive songs.

Transcending Time : a nice upbeat and breezy early 90s sounding song with a bit of Rush/I&W and the most commercial thing on it .  Threatened to go to another level but unfortunatley never did   8/10

Answering The Call :  My initial reaction was that this song was a cool riff and not much else , but this was the grower for me.  A more connected song than most once I let it sink in 7.5/10 and might get to 8/10

Invisible Monster:  7.25/10 -  probably didn't deserve the extra quarter point but I wanted to separate it from The Alien

The Alien :  Disliked it on first listen then it grew a bit , but just something missing for me.  7/10

Awaken The Master:  Liked this quite a bit on first listen but tired of it quickly.  JP's epic guitar leads are getting so samey too. 7/10

Sleeping Giant : I struggled to decipher what the intention was with this but it just seemed to meander around with little direction.  6.5/10

Some of that might change on further listens but I really don't have a desire to return to it any time soon after 4-5 listens .

After going back to Brents thoughts after 2 listens, it's almost scary how much I agree with most of what's said here.  I feel Brent your scores are somewhat generous even.  I could really let rip on this album but there's no reason too.  I'm glad everyone is enjoying it but after 2 listens, I have zero urge to hear it again.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

After going back to Brents thoughts after 2 listens, it's almost scary how much I agree with most of what's said here.  I feel Brent your scores are somewhat generous even.  I could really let rip on this album but there's no reason too.  I'm glad everyone is enjoying it but after 2 listens, I have zero urge to hear it again.

For the most part, I was thinking the same thing.  This is going to be the first DT album I don't buy.  I went back through time to listen to the most recent DT releases, and just finished off with SysChaos this morning (naturally, I skipped The Astonishing).  Every album - yes, including BC&SL and SC - was far more enjoyable than this one.  I think the best way I can describe A View From ... is that it's like a person who's had way too much cosmetic surgery.  It's not awful/ugly/bad, but it's just not that (sonically) appealing or attractive to me.  Everything is so contrived - the lyrics, the melodies, the instrumental sections (the wankery is just too much nowadays, and so unoriginal), the production.... all of it is just too ... smooth? Sculpted?  I don't know the right adjective.  There's nothing natural or raw about it.  Add to that most of the vocal melodies (both how they're written, and performed) absolutely blow chunks, I've reached my tipping point with DT.  I'll save a couple of songs - Transcending Time and Answering the Call (maybe Awaken the Master), but that's it.  The title track... snoozefest.  I just kept thinking "Why don't I just listen to Illumination Theory instead - at least James could sing back then".  So many of the melodies and riffs feel re-hashed from their back catalogue.

TASTEStm!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow!

I'm going to maybe give it a week and try again.  I simply can't see what the fuss is about unfortunately.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What Chad said, I can pretty much agree with all of it.

Speaking of IT, this album isn't in the same ballpark as DT12.  At the moment, this new album would rank second last.  The Astonishing being last.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So there's 3 of us with the same opinion.....I think we're outnumbered lads.  :lol