Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 903575 times)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #13440 on: September 29, 2021, 12:37:09 PM »
Not trying to convince you otherwise, but my first reaction to Senjutsu was similar to yours. Maiden by numbers, a bit boring and uninspired. And Dickinson sounds old.

But I gave it a couple more spins and it has really grown on me. Sure, some is still Maiden by numbers, but done good and some songs sound even a bit different. Don't know if will stand the test of time, but for now I really enjoy it. This thing is a grower.

And Bruce still sounds old, but not in a tired way. He doesn't go for the insanely high notes and sometimes sounds strained, but he still has a powerful voice. And he has added a sort of fragility or vulnerability (missing the right words here) that conveys a lot of emotion.

So yeah, I'm totally trying to convince you.  :D Give this some more spins and see if it grows.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline nick_z

Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #13441 on: September 29, 2021, 01:01:12 PM »
Not trying to convince you otherwise, but my first reaction to Senjutsu was similar to yours. Maiden by numbers, a bit boring and uninspired. And Dickinson sounds old.

But I gave it a couple more spins and it has really grown on me. Sure, some is still Maiden by numbers, but done good and some songs sound even a bit different. Don't know if will stand the test of time, but for now I really enjoy it. This thing is a grower.

And Bruce still sounds old, but not in a tired way. He doesn't go for the insanely high notes and sometimes sounds strained, but he still has a powerful voice. And he has added a sort of fragility or vulnerability (missing the right words here) that conveys a lot of emotion.

So yeah, I'm totally trying to convince you.  :D Give this some more spins and see if it grows.

Echoing your sentiments almost word by word - except I actually enjoyed the album from the get go, in a way that hadn't happened with the last two (Final Frontier has grown a ton, by the way, but I didn't particularly like it at first). But, yes, even from a higher starting point, this album is certainly a grower.

And I absolutely agree on Bruce's performance.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13442 on: September 29, 2021, 01:42:24 PM »
It's an extrodinary album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13443 on: September 30, 2021, 06:35:24 AM »
Although Bruce sounds strained, it’s no worse than on TFF. It’s not his fault of course and if you hear him interviewed he actually sings better than he speaks!

I was very impressed with the album. I’ve given up on Maiden ever having a well produced and mixed album but the songwriting, so far into their career, is excellent.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #13444 on: September 30, 2021, 08:15:37 AM »
Alright alright alright.  I'll give it another go.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #13445 on: September 30, 2021, 08:51:03 AM »
That's a good boy  :tup  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13446 on: September 30, 2021, 08:57:23 AM »

Don't get too excited... I never said WHEN!   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13447 on: September 30, 2021, 09:34:20 AM »

Don't get too excited... I never said WHEN!   :lol

Hey it’s ok not to like it.
Unless it’s Tim with Winger - that’s just wrong 😁

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
AC/DC released a new video last for Through The Mists Of Time. This is a cool tune, but damn, this video is fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7-bIFDMSFA
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

Quick question for the good people on this thread...anyone familiar with the first album from melodic hard-rockers Fair Warning (self-titled debut)?

It doesn't seem to be available on streaming platforms, although there might be a playlist on Youtube. I'll check that one out, but in the meantime I was curious if anyone knows it and has an opinion to share -thinking of buying a physical copy, if it's worth getting. I only have their third album, Go!, which I bought back in the day and really like...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Calling Brent.

We need a Brent Signal..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I own a couple of their later albums.  Didn't think much of them.

Brent signal.  :lol  seems legit though!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 04:25:33 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brilliant!  :lol

Brentman!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Quick question for the good people on this thread...anyone familiar with the first album from melodic hard-rockers Fair Warning (self-titled debut)?

It doesn't seem to be available on streaming platforms, although there might be a playlist on Youtube. I'll check that one out, but in the meantime I was curious if anyone knows it and has an opinion to share -thinking of buying a physical copy, if it's worth getting. I only have their third album, Go!, which I bought back in the day and really like...

You rang..........:lol

Go! is a pretty good album like most of their early stuff.............a few killers and a few fillers.

I think you would likely prefer the debut - it's really their only "hard rock" album from start to finish out of the first three.  The fourth allbum "4" from 2000 toughens up the sound again somewhat .  After that album I lost interest as the quality dipped .

Fair Warning were formed out of the ashes of Zeno , so if you like the debut you might also want to check out Zenology which has the Fair Warning guys all over it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline nick_z

Go! is a pretty good album like most of their early stuff.............a few killers and a few fillers.

I think you would likely prefer the debut - it's really their only "hard rock" album from start to finish out of the first three.  The fourth allbum "4" from 2000 toughens up the sound again somewhat .  After that album I lost interest as the quality dipped .

Fair Warning were formed out of the ashes of Zeno , so if you like the debut you might also want to check out Zenology which has the Fair Warning guys all over it.

Thank you  :tup I think I'll check it out. I always enjoyed Go!, great vocals and melodies...I did end up sampling a couple of songs from the debut, and it sounds very good. And your confirmation is reassuring  :)

I've read about Zeno, but haven't heard a note. Will have to dig something up!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Brent never disappoints! :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
We leave that to you.   :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Settle down there ladies! Haha.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Lowdz

I thought the first 4 were pretty good. 4 is excellent as is Rainmaker.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought the first 4 were pretty good. 4 is excellent as is Rainmaker.

We're in complete agreement there.   And if you do get Rainmaker make sure get you get the German version with the extra track Childrens Eyes  (live in Japan) - one of the better tracks on the album and it wasn't on the Japanese version  :justjen       (it seems it was on the 2006 Jap re-release but most versions of the album don't have it).

Well I am about to listen to my first full album in God knows how long.  Some nice person remembered me and I have the new DT album here with me , so guess I had better give it a whirl.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline nick_z

Well I am about to listen to my first full album in God knows how long.  Some nice person remembered me and I have the new DT album here with me , so guess I had better give it a whirl.

Well, that's exciting!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have the new DT album here with me , so guess I had better give it a whirl.

Australia is a week ahead of the rest of the world?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have the new DT album here with me , so guess I had better give it a whirl.

Australia is a week ahead of the rest of the world?

Yep  :biggrin:

The nice person who remembered me is someone in the right place who I helped out with some music related stuff many moons ago and he knew I was a DT fan and he's looking to reduce his tab a bit  :)    A few others on DTF have obviously heard it too , so I am not the first by any means.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 07:33:17 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Really looking forward to your opinions on it Brent.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Really looking forward to your opinions on it Brent.

No worries.............trying to give it at least 3 listens for each track , as already a couple I didn't rate at first have grown a bit. It's certainly not in discussions for a "classic" in my opinion but if you liked DoT I think you'll like this.  The challenge I have with recent DT (beyond DT12) is that much of it is a good listen but I'm generally not itching to re-listen or finding the songs stick in the memory and the vocal sound/melody (and the effects on JLB's voice) give off the same "majestic" vibe in most of the songs which can make it all rather samey.

Anyway...........will come back with some track by track thoughts tomorrow some time.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
There's certainly a lot to chew on and certainly nothing that can be ascertained after just a couple of listens.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So Tim has heard it also then.  ;D

Yeah, I liked DOT a lot but it aged poorly.  I listened to it a lot when it came out but haven't had any urge to listen to it at all for a good while.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The thing about DoT is that it has peaks and valleys. There's some great songs like PBD, AWE, BW, S2N, but the rest is quite forgettable.

I think the Mangini Era is actually pretty strong, overall though. The new album reinforces this. I find the album quite thick, meaning that The Alien is a great example of how this album plays.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm confused now.............you asked me if I am somehow a week ahead of the rest of the world and you've had it all along ? 

I was going to say the same thing though - if you like The Alien and Invisible Monster then you'll like the rest of it.  I thought that they were both alright and that's about where my view on the whole album will land.   I think I like the 2nd half better than the first , so if you didn't like the two singles (early tracks) I wouldn't write it off.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, so Tim has heard it.  ???

I thought the two singles were average at best.  Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised.