Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 901864 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #13405 on: September 03, 2021, 04:15:50 PM »
I’ll give those two a go and report back.
My abiding memory of Annihilator is that they sounded amateurish. Like Metal Church in that regard for me. Not sure how else to explain it. Waters is clearly an immense guitar player though.

Offline Lowdz

Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #13406 on: September 03, 2021, 04:51:36 PM »
Brent, just finished retreading your top 5PN and realised there’s a couple there I haven’t played since you did it and even longer. Going to have to listen to Conception and Brazen Abbot. Completely forgot about them.
Eye of the Storm on now!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #13407 on: September 03, 2021, 07:28:34 PM »
Brent, just finished retreading your top 5PN and realised there’s a couple there I haven’t played since you did it and even longer. Going to have to listen to Conception and Brazen Abbot. Completely forgot about them.
Eye of the Storm on now!

All four BA albums are top shelf.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13408 on: September 03, 2021, 07:51:01 PM »
Eye of the Storm on now!

LOVE Conception! Lots of talent there, between Roy Khan on vocals and Tore Ostby on guitar...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13409 on: September 03, 2021, 11:14:18 PM »
I am pretty much with Nick on Annihilator.................their sweet spot was Never Neverland and Set The World On Fire (although the singer might turn off some as it's not very "metal").   After that it's a bit like Queensryche after Promised Land/HITNF .............I checked back in every now and then to see if they'd done anything decent but they mostly lost me.

I'm starting to lose my musical memory a bit after the last 2 years but here's a few random tracks from their latter albums (other than Carnival....)  that harken back to the vibe of the "classic" period , but they are from albums that are mostly filler.

Torn  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMRfsbr_WIM
Death In Your Eyes  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9iqEQnkpKw   (give it time .....the first minute and a bit is just an excuse for some very cool heavy & melodic guitar work like their best albums)
Pieces of You  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiGfvV5sJh8  (Metallica ripoff i guess but Annihilator were doing this style around the same time as Metallica)

Speaking of Mangini , this is one of my favourite metal band photos .  Spot the odd guy out  :lol

Eye of the Storm on now!

:tup
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 12:20:02 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13410 on: September 04, 2021, 05:42:48 AM »
That photo is like the band is actually a 4 piece and Mangini was walking down the street and saw these guys doing a photo shoot.  He quietly comes from the side and sidles in without a sound just in time for a quick snap.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13411 on: September 04, 2021, 06:22:21 AM »
That photo is like the band is actually a 4 piece and Mangini was walking down the street and saw these guys doing a photo shoot.  He quietly comes from the side and sidles in without a sound just in time for a quick snap.

He probably didn’t get the memo it was photo day and had a Hawaiian shirt on and they made him strip to his vest 😁
I love the breathing in, chest out pose to look muscly.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13412 on: September 04, 2021, 06:55:50 AM »

Yeah pretty much. :lol

I bought Alice In Hell when it came out, but I never went any further.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13413 on: September 04, 2021, 10:03:02 AM »
Torn  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMRfsbr_WIM
Death In Your Eyes  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9iqEQnkpKw   (give it time .....the first minute and a bit is just an excuse for some very cool heavy & melodic guitar work like their best albums)
Pieces of You  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiGfvV5sJh8  (Metallica ripoff i guess but Annihilator were doing this style around the same time as Metallica)

Yes, these are all pretty good. I don't think I've ever heard the S/T, actually. Death In Your Eyes is a good example of just how amazing Waters' leads can be, and the melodic stuff he is able to mix in with the thrash...

The very last album, Ballistic Sadistic (2020), is ok too, from what I heard of it. But, speaking of recycling, listen to this:

"Lip Service"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCdTDIbnOho

and then this:
"Knight Jumps Queen"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpCefrmlXJQ

I mean, that's gotta be a "wink-wink" homage, right? And the song structure of the "original" (KJQ) is distinctive enough to start with...it's not like it's hard to detect the similarities  ;) And, by the way, Lip Service is not the first re-write either:

"21"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRXk98QtjWA

I bought Alice In Hell when it came out, but I never went any further.

You should go at least a little further and get Never, Neverland. It's excellent. And I think you'd enjoy Set the World on Fire too...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13414 on: September 04, 2021, 10:06:16 AM »
I think after Mangini joined DT, I d-loaded the albums he was on. Really didn't spend any time with them though.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13415 on: September 04, 2021, 03:03:37 PM »
I'm pretty spotty with Annihilator across the board besides the old classics.  I have a few of their albums though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 03:30:42 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13418 on: September 05, 2021, 05:54:33 AM »
 :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13419 on: September 05, 2021, 05:59:51 AM »
 :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #13420 on: September 05, 2021, 12:28:39 PM »
Ouch  ;D

But I confess it took me a while.   :laugh:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #13421 on: September 10, 2021, 04:00:29 AM »
New single from Majestica - 'Metal United' https://youtu.be/UO37wJG1j2k
Glorious cheese sandwich with some Gary Moore and Sabaton.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13422 on: September 10, 2021, 05:33:51 AM »
Tommy Johansson loves himself some Gary Moore! Will check this when I get home.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13423 on: September 10, 2021, 06:09:37 AM »
I thought that was fucking shit to be honest.  Who the fuck are these guys?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13424 on: September 10, 2021, 11:29:26 AM »
New Tony MacAlpine (last week at least).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIIAYimGibk

Seems to be part of an EP.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13425 on: September 10, 2021, 01:35:11 PM »
New Tony MacAlpine (last week at least).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIIAYimGibk

Played it last week. It’s pretty good. Better than that last album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13426 on: September 10, 2021, 03:16:07 PM »

Damn that was nice.  Sounds like old school TMac mixed with Planet X.  I thought the last couple lacked melody, but this is a great compromise.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13427 on: September 11, 2021, 11:09:41 AM »

Damn that was nice.  Sounds like old school TMac mixed with Planet X.  I thought the last couple lacked melody, but this is a great compromise.

Love this one. Shred 🤘🤘

https://youtu.be/Zw96UetOz-Q

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13429 on: September 18, 2021, 12:27:33 PM »

This kinda randomly came up yesterday. Not necessarily what I go for these days, but it was solid German metal fun  ;D They have been around for a long time and I haven't really checked them out despite seeing them mentioned here and there. Anyone on the thread more familiar?

Catchy, well-written, powerful songs. Nothing earth-shattering, but I enjoyed the listen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13430 on: September 18, 2021, 02:19:10 PM »
I bought Firesoul when it came out.

And this was my thoughts as well..

Catchy, well-written, powerful songs. Nothing earth-shattering, but I enjoyed the listen.

I'll see if I can spin the new one tonight.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13431 on: September 18, 2021, 02:27:36 PM »
I’ve given Brainstorm a few attempts over the years. Nothing seems to tickle my fancy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13432 on: September 19, 2021, 04:06:38 AM »
I’ve given Brainstorm a few attempts over the years. Nothing seems to tickle my fancy.

Pretty sure I have that one on CD.  I think Brent might have been the one that brought this band to my attention from a Podcast maybe?  But yeah, I have similar thoughts.  Scary Creatures was a good album though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13433 on: September 19, 2021, 06:16:19 AM »
I have always had Brainstorm as a good "compilation band" - most of their albums have 2 or 3 really good songs and plenty of filler.  Based on my song ratings the two more consistent albums were Downburst (2008) and Midnight Ghost (2018?).   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #13434 on: September 19, 2021, 07:21:40 AM »
Brainstorm is awesome!    :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13435 on: September 29, 2021, 04:11:33 AM »
Pretty quiet round here. There must be something new worth listening to?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13436 on: September 29, 2021, 05:22:52 AM »

Senjutsu.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13437 on: September 29, 2021, 06:50:36 AM »

+1 for Senjutsu

Also this:

Not sure it 100% fits the thread, but I think there is enough "classic" in here that it should. I've been pimping this in the "What album.." thread too, and it's been in constant rotation for me the past few days. Brilliant blend of 80s goth/new wave atmospheres and classic hard rock/metal. Their first album from 2019, Mana, is excellent too (they used to be called Idle Hands then, but I believe all of their past stuff is now filed under Unto Others too)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13438 on: September 29, 2021, 12:01:21 PM »

Senjutsu.

🤘🤘🤘

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13439 on: September 29, 2021, 12:17:10 PM »

Senjutsu.

More like Sen-meh-tsu.

I'll let myself out.