Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907655 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #13370 on: September 01, 2021, 07:14:21 PM »
I even mentioned them briefly in my Top 50 back in the day under #63

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41830.msg1825671#msg1825671
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #13371 on: September 01, 2021, 07:16:05 PM »
Nick, just an FYI, you will never stump Brent when posting albums in this thread......never.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13372 on: September 01, 2021, 07:17:59 PM »

Goddamn, talking about reading the fine print. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13373 on: September 01, 2021, 07:24:52 PM »
 You guys crack me up  :rollin

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13374 on: September 01, 2021, 07:27:52 PM »
Yeah.........I used SIAM as a bit of a Queensryche substitute post Empire but the albums for me (including their 2nd album) are about 20% great and 80% just okay but yeah - did enjoy the better songs.   The boys will be surprised to know that I played tracks from this album on a little podcast I used to do around here  :lol

I've been hearing about this podcast a few times in my short time here...I understand you are not doing it currently...sounds like you had cool material on it, any chance for a comeback on the horizon?  :)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13375 on: September 01, 2021, 07:31:45 PM »
Yeah.........I used SIAM as a bit of a Queensryche substitute post Empire but the albums for me (including their 2nd album) are about 20% great and 80% just okay but yeah - did enjoy the better songs.   The boys will be surprised to know that I played tracks from this album on a little podcast I used to do around here  :lol

I've been hearing about this podcast a few times in my short time here...I understand you are not doing it currently...sounds like you had cool material on it, any chance for a comeback on the horizon?  :)

Who knows...............last one was in 2019 which is the last time I wasn't thrashing around trying to keep a business afloat in lockdown while also home schooling.   I have gone from someone who listened to music for much of the day to not being able to remember the last time I cranked an album.

Hopefully  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13376 on: September 01, 2021, 07:33:26 PM »
Wasn't the 2019 podcast actually your best of 2017? :lol

Nick, they're all listed in the OP.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13377 on: September 01, 2021, 07:36:59 PM »
Wasn't the 2019 podcast actually your best of 2017? :lol

Nick, they're all listed in the OP.

Probably................I think I have one or two that were left 90% complete but yeah.......I got way behind as it is and then I started a business and then COVID and then lockdown for basically 12 of the last 18 months (and still going)

I really miss my music but still manage to pop in here and deal with these old codgers.   :lol

It seems some/most of the old podcast links still work.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13378 on: September 01, 2021, 07:40:53 PM »
Feel for you down there mate with things getting somewhat out of hand again.  Just never ends for you guys.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13379 on: September 01, 2021, 08:06:23 PM »
Thanks Kade...............appreciate it.  Melbourne will soon hold the record for the most locked down days for any major city in the world and for businesses it has been much longer than the official "lockdown" numbers. November is looking like best case at the moment.  We had COVID done and dusted and then started opening the borders to returning Aussies and from there it was inevitable without decent quarantine facilities and prompt vaccination rollouts.  The states other than Vic and NSW are benefitting from their relative isolation but it will get everywhere eventually.   Any business left standing in Victoria at the moment deserves a medal......might buy myself one :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 08:38:02 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13380 on: September 01, 2021, 11:34:24 PM »
Thanks Kade...............appreciate it.  Melbourne will soon hold the record for the most locked down days for any major city in the world and for businesses it has been much longer than the official "lockdown" numbers. November is looking like best case at the moment.  We had COVID done and dusted and then started opening the borders to returning Aussies and from there it was inevitable without decent quarantine facilities and prompt vaccination rollouts.  The states other than Vic and NSW are benefitting from their relative isolation but it will get everywhere eventually.   Any business left standing in Victoria at the moment deserves a medal......might buy myself one :)

That's actually incredible.

It is inevitable it will come back here, we are on high alert again for a truck driver coming back from Sydney or something.  Guy lives in 2 suburbs from me lol.

Hopefully the dojo is keeping people entertained at least during lockdown mate.  We should all chip in and get you the hardest rocking medal around mate.  :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13381 on: September 02, 2021, 03:27:58 AM »
Nick, just an FYI, you will never stump Brent when posting albums in this thread......never.

I thought I knew my 80s/early 90s metal until Brent showed up around these parts. Realised I was a n00b 😁😁😁

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #13382 on: September 02, 2021, 05:03:42 AM »

This.  I tried once with a local Canadian act I saw in a pub once, and bought their cassette.  They never got any exposure anywhere.  I don't even think Google has much on them.

He knew of them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13383 on: September 02, 2021, 06:01:37 AM »

This.  I tried once with a local Canadian act I saw in a pub once, and bought their cassette.  They never got any exposure anywhere.  I don't even think Google has much on them.

He knew of them.

Brent is Google.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13384 on: September 02, 2021, 06:53:42 AM »
 :rollin

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13385 on: September 02, 2021, 07:27:04 AM »

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41830.msg1825671#msg1825671

Wow, lots of interesting stuff in this thread. I can't believe you have Ricochet in there  :) I had that one too and always enjoyed it. Laid-back prog metal...I might give it a listen today!

I was able to grab these kinds of albums at the time as there was this guy at my local CD store that would get all sorts of relatively obscure metal (prog, melodic etc.)...It was the early 90s, so a lot of the music I'm seeing in your thread. It was all the more remarkable because, for the most part, the store had nothing of the sort. But he was slowly building this niche and it was great (not for my wallet, but still).

I might post a few more myself. Seems like this is the right crowd  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13386 on: September 02, 2021, 08:49:52 AM »
I might post a few more myself. Seems like this is the right crowd  :biggrin:

Right you are, Kimosabe.

Post away.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13387 on: September 02, 2021, 01:28:49 PM »
Yeah mate, post more.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13388 on: September 02, 2021, 02:43:56 PM »

Quoting again the link to your top 50...

Haven't had the time to carefully go through the entire thread, of course (damn job  :biggrin:), but I skimmed your posts in it...it's pretty amazing how it looks like we were discovering the same albums at the same time. I mentioned elsewhere that early 90s period was when I was truly getting into music, finding new bands etc...1992 was particularly momentous, not least because of, you know, that insignificant album called "Images and Words" which I happened to buy that year  :)

If I were to do my top 50, it likely wouldn't have the same share of "melodic metal/hard rock" (for lack of a better descriptor) as yours. To be clear, I actually like pretty much ALL of the albums you listed. It's just that my list would have a larger weight on the "darker/heavier" side of metal, next to the prog and the melodic.

That said, in some instances the overlap is almost eerie! Especially some of the the albums you mention as your favorite /near favorites in that early 90s period. Colour Temple by Vanden Plas, for example. You nailed the description.  I like many of their albums - but that debut, with the combination of melodic metal and some prog, really stood out and is my favorite of theirs. Then Threshold's Psychedelicatessen...count me in the camp considering it near their very best (if not the best), thanks in large part to Glynn Morgan. The severely underappreciated Conception (I personally love their last pre-hiatus album Flow too...and I was quite happy with their comeback!).  And that little gem that is House of Spirit's Turn of the Tide! Wasn't quite sure how many actually know that one. Or the appreciation for early Stratovarius (I give Dreamspace the overall edge myself, but I agree Fourth Dimension is great)...

I wish I'd been around to actively comment on that thread, but I figured I could share some tidbits in here, since this thread appears to share many of the same participants  ;D

Anyway, it was a nice trip down memory lane...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13389 on: September 02, 2021, 04:49:35 PM »
Wolfking...clear your inbox!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13390 on: September 02, 2021, 05:10:28 PM »
Sorry teach.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13391 on: September 02, 2021, 05:11:50 PM »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13392 on: September 02, 2021, 06:38:20 PM »

Labyrinth - No Limits (1996)

This is the debut album from fellow Italians Labyrinth...I saw that there was some appreciation for their second (and breakthrough, relatively speaking) album Return to Heaven Denied, so I thought why not. Heaven Denied is well regarded in the Euro-power scene and, while that's not necessarily my main scene, I've always enjoyed the album: good song and melodies, and a great vocalist in Roberto Tiranti.

The debut, No Limits, has Fabio Lione on vocals (before he went on to sing for about 10 different bands). Here, however, the band members still use stage names (not sure what they were thinking. Joe Terry? Anders Rain? Chris Breeze?? Really?  :biggrin:) Anyway - this is, in my view, a pretty cool record. Production is not great, and the performances are not necessarily as tight as in the follow-up, but the sound is pretty unique and there's more variety throughout the tracklist. Less straight-on power, for sure. The songs have a few more twists and turns ("Midnight Resistance", "No Limits") and the keyboards often have a techno/trance sound to them that set this apart from other power-prog-ish albums of the period. Heck, there is even a full blown cover of a techno/trance song ("Vertigo") that was pretty popular at the time ;D Pretty good ballad in "Time Has Come" too. And "Piece of time" is a tune so catchy it should've been a hit-single!

Lione does a very good job, his endearing Italian accent notwithstanding  ;) Overall, the whole thing sounds a bit dated but the material is quite strong.

I don't think this is on streaming platforms, but YouTube has it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC6uVUTEJ1U

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13393 on: September 02, 2021, 06:40:46 PM »
I've never really followed up on Labyrinth.

I know the guitarist formed Vision Divine, and I love their stuff, especially the Fabio fronted Destination Set To Nowhere. That album is great!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13394 on: September 02, 2021, 06:55:27 PM »
Have you ever checked out Return to Heaven Denied? That's a pretty great power metal record, with some teeny tiny prog sprinkles on top...especially mid-career Fates Warning (the almost-title track Heaven Denied...that chorus, it could totally be Ray Alder singing it)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13395 on: September 02, 2021, 07:03:56 PM »
Have you ever checked out Return to Heaven Denied? That's a pretty great power metal record, with some teeny tiny prog sprinkles on top...especially mid-career Fates Warning (the almost-title track Heaven Denied...that chorus, it could totally be Ray Alder singing it)

Hey Nick..........thanks for the feedback above..........cool to have you in here.  When I did that Top 50 my tastes had heavied up a bit but it was based on the most influential albums in my life and I went through a long AOR/melodic hard rock phase before moving into heavier stuff, so the chilldhood influenece was more towards the rock side.

Return To Heaven Denied was also in my top 50 - seems we have a lot in common with musical taste
 :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13396 on: September 02, 2021, 07:05:54 PM »
I think a lot of our Top 50's reflected influential albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13397 on: September 02, 2021, 07:21:45 PM »
I've never really followed up on Labyrinth.

I know the guitarist formed Vision Divine, and I love their stuff, especially the Fabio fronted Destination Set To Nowhere. That album is great!

By far the best VD album.  A ripper.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13398 on: September 02, 2021, 07:36:43 PM »
I loved Stream Of Consciousness too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13399 on: September 02, 2021, 07:37:30 PM »
I loved Stream Of Consciousness too.

I have a few if their albums, they are all decent.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13400 on: September 03, 2021, 06:27:14 AM »
I've got both Heaven Denied albums, and their release this year - Welcome to the Absurd Circus - is a beauty.

Wish they released a formal recording of their performance at of Return to Heaven Denied from PPUSA a few years back.  The Return to Live DVD is just painful to watch.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13401 on: September 03, 2021, 10:08:22 AM »

Hey Nick..........thanks for the feedback above..........cool to have you in here.  When I did that Top 50 my tastes had heavied up a bit but it was based on the most influential albums in my life and I went through a long AOR/melodic hard rock phase before moving into heavier stuff, so the chilldhood influenece was more towards the rock side.

Return To Heaven Denied was also in my top 50 - seems we have a lot in common with musical taste
 :)

I’m working my way through it again atm, it made me play Never Neverland yesterday  :metal

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13402 on: September 03, 2021, 10:42:36 AM »

I’m working my way through it again atm, it made me play Never Neverland yesterday  :metal

Never, Neverland is SO good, my favorite Annihilator album. The riffs and solos are amazing on that thing. The first half is basically untouchable. A couple of lesser songs in the second (Kraf Dinner, Reduced to Ash), but this is a classic of technical thrash.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13403 on: September 03, 2021, 02:06:20 PM »

Never, Neverland is SO good, my favorite Annihilator album. The riffs and solos are amazing on that thing. The first half is basically untouchable. A couple of lesser songs in the second (Kraf Dinner, Reduced to Ash), but this is a classic of technical thrash.

Where should I go next? I have tried Alice previously but it didn’t stick with me. The singer was the big issue I think.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13404 on: September 03, 2021, 03:16:43 PM »
Well, Annihilator - or perhaps I should say Jeff Waters, since he IS Annihilator - are an extremely frustrating band. With the talent he has on guitar, you'd have expected more quality throughout the significant number of albums they put out. Alas, for the most part, that's not the case.

Alice in Hell is the other generally recognized "classic" in the discography. I think it's great (although not as good as Never, Neverland), but I get that you might be put off by the singer.

Their third album, Set the World on Fire, is an interesting one. I personally love it, but don't expect anything similar to Never, Neverland. The thrash is mostly gone and the sound is overall much softer. Yet, the songs are great, in my opinion, and the guitar work is excellent. And it has Mr. Mangini on drums (for most, not all, tracks)! Lyrics are mostly on the silly side, as you'd expect from the band, but it doesn't matter that much. Check out the title-track, No Zone, Knight Jumps Queen and Brain Dance (the latter is all over the place) for heavier stuff, Bats in the Belfry and Snake in the Grass for Annihilator's unique take on hard rock/classic metal. There are a couple of ballads - Phoenix Rising has more of an epic feel, somewhat cheesy but effective, Sounds Good to Me is a bit unusual and musically interesting - it's pretty up-tempo and it has these beautiful, clean arpeggiated guitars all over (Jeff Waters is a master of those!). Anyway, give it a try. The quality is there, you just kinda have to forget it's Annihilator  ;)

After this, um, it's a bit of a mess. The following album, King of the Kill, has Jeff Waters himself on vocals. He's not terrible, actually. There's some reprise of a slightly thrashier sound, but the album is again pretty varied. Some decent songs (the title track, Hell is a War, Second to None), but it was a disappointment for me when it came out. Plus, this is where Waters starts the tradition of rehashing large chunks of old songs, literally. Previous albums would have some nuggets/throwbacks, but it gets worse from here.

After a couple of missteps (Refresh the Demon, Remains) there's an attempt to go back to the fast 'n' heavy roots with Criteria For a Black Widow. I never particularly loved it - plus, it has the singer from Alice in Hell, so it might not be for you  :)

Then comes what I personally find the last all-around good Annihilator album: Carnival Diablos. Another change at the mic, this time bringing in Joe Comeau, formerly in Overkill (on guitars, though). He does a very good job, and has an uncanny ability to mimic a variety of vocal styles (from aggressive, to Halford-like, to Dickinson-like). Which, incidentally, is also one problem with this album: generally very good songs, but it almost feels like it was written as a compilation of songs in the styles of different bands - Judas Priest (Time Bomb), Slayer (Hunter Killer), Iron Maiden (Epic of War), and AC/DC (Shallow Grave) - so it sounds kind of gimmicky at times. But the riffs are great again (Denied, Battered), the title-track is very cool (with a beautiful Rush-like melodic interlude) and there is an instrumental (Liquid Oval) where Jeff Waters once again showcases his melodic sensibilities. This is overall a fun album, and I'd recommend a listen.

There's a second album with Comeau, Waking the Fury. Not bad, but a drop in quality for me (plus, the guitar sound is bizarre)

Then you have the Dave Padden-fronted era. He's actually a pretty talented dude, also playing guitar live. The voice is a bit of an acquired taste, I guess. But he was the singer with the longest tenure in the band (5 albums). This overall becomes a blur for me, as I stopped following closely. What I heard was very inconsistent - both across and within albums. Maybe someone here with better knowledge of this era can point you to the better material. I can tell you that, among the ones I've heard, I found "Feast" (2013) to be pretty good. It's also the last with Padden.

After that, there's three more with Jeff Waters back on vocals. I think I've listened to them a few times here and there, and the general impression was a newfound aggression, but also way less creative riffing and LOTS of recycling  ;D

Sooo...LONG story short...if you are wondering where to next - I'd say try Set the World on Fire and Carnival Diablos. Both different from what you've heard, but still good. Then maybe Feast, and a couple of the recent ones (the last is 2020) for some more aggressive material with Jeff Waters singing. Let me know how this goes!