Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907249 times)

Offline gazinwales

Just awful.  Fucking sad.

The YT comments are quite positive though....
I wonder if Halford has heard or seen the video's, he would be wetting himself with laughter.
Incidentally Rob turned 70 this week, still going strong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have scrolled through the comments from all the songs so far.  I don't get it, most are overwhelmingly positive.  Im missing something obviously.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

I have scrolled through the comments from all the songs so far.  I don't get it, most are overwhelmingly positive.  Im missing something obviously.

There’s no point me even bothering is there.

Offline nick_z

New Dawn Of Solace!

They had one of my favorite albums last year, and probably my SOTY as well.

White Noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAjZ-tchYt0

This video is fucking dark!

Dawn of Solace! Same here, Waves was one of my top albums from last year. New song is very good but, yes, the video is a tad disturbing  ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

There’s no point me even bothering is there.

There was no point even KK bothering.

Offline nick_z

Kind of a random re-discovery as I was writing on the retro album thread - 1993 in particular. I was mentioning how a bunch of bands were coming out, more or less following DT's lead (and I&W in particular). One of the albums I purchased that year is this "Time is Gone" by German band Pan Ram. To be fair, this is (much) more Queensryche than DT (there isn't much DT influence to be detected here, really)

Production is so-so (drums in particular), although it gives the record a certain charm. Guitar work is very good, as are the vocals. The opener, "Target You" is a good representation of the album: again, the Queensryche vibes are strong, but the song is pretty great. There are also more straight-on metal tracks, like "The Wolf is Out", where the pace picks up. The longest song, "Passion and Crime", starts somewhat "funky" before turning into a lost "Operation:Mindcrime" track  ;) Then there's some more 80s, class-metal influence here and there ("Bad Things", "Don't Give Up").

Anyway, nothing earth-shattering, but a cool little album I happened to remember from way back...

In case you are curious, it looks like it's all on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95i-evBo77I

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow, what an obscure album..

Listening to the first song. The singer actually reminds me a bit of Jani Lane.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

What do the wise people on this thread think of this often ignored album from Tony Martin-fronted Black Sabbath?

I always had a fondness for it. I actually purchased the year it came out, and hadn't explored the whole Black Sabbath canon yet. I listened to it today after quite some time, and still found it to be very good. Well produced, with great performances (Iommi-Butler!). I like that the more "metal" Sabbath (typical of Martin's albums) is sprinkled with doomy stuff (Virtual Death, Evil Eye)...and there are songs where both dimensions coexist (Immaculate Deception). There's also some more modern-sounding stuff, like Psychophobia, that sounds pretty cool. And while we are at it, a cheesy sounding ballad as well (Dying for love)  ;)

All in all, not "classic" Sabbath, but a respectable album in my book.

Offline gazinwales

Ignored by many as it's been out of print for many years (label went bust) and it's not on any streaming platforms.
If you have heard it you'll know that it's a pretty good album.
Hopefully the upcoming re-issue will make it more available for everyone to check out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Cross Purposes is by far my favorite of the Martin Era. I think it's a great album.

Nick, when I was younger, I completely ignored the Martin Era. They came around here at least 2 times, and I totally skipped it. I was so against calling it Black Sabbath. What am I a fool?  That's what I thought. I thought using the name was a money grab, and I resented it.

I now really enjoy the Martin Era, other than Forbidden. I will get the box set that has been mentioned when it comes out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh jeez, don't get me started.  My fav Sabbath era.  CP comes after after HC and Tyr, but such an amazing album.  Underrated.

Offline nick_z

Cross Purposes is by far my favorite of the Martin Era. I think it's a great album.

Nick, when I was younger, I completely ignored the Martin Era. They came around here at least 2 times, and I totally skipped it. I was so against calling it Black Sabbath. What am I a fool?  That's what I thought. I thought using the name was a money grab, and I resented it.

I now really enjoy the Martin Era, other than Forbidden. I will get the box set that has been mentioned when it comes out.

I can understand thinking that - after all, in many ways the band sounded quite different from what "made" them Black Sabbath. But good music is good music and yes, there's definitely quality in Tony Martin's albums. I should mention I have never heard Headless Cross, as I didn't have it back then, and now it appears to be quite difficult to find (I guess I could try Youtube  :)). Of the TM albums I have, Cross Purposes is my favorite as well, but Tyr and Eternal Idol are great too (I guess Forbidden not so much, but I haven't revisited it in forever).

I wasn't aware of any upcoming boxsets...if they were to reissue Headless Cross, I'd be happy to grab it...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Headless Cross made my top 50.  It's a brilliant 80's metal album.  Iommi is on absolute fire and there is not a dud song on the whole thing.  When Death Calls is a top Sabbath song for me and could even be my fav.  Brian May does a solo on that song too which is absolutely incredible.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hey Nick, if you don't mind me asking..how old are you, and in what part of the world are you in? Not stalking! ;D
Shoot me a PM if you don't want to answer here. :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nick, don't trust Tim.

Offline gazinwales

Apparently Iommi has the rights back to all the IRS label era TM albums.
Forbidden is being remixed and the others remastered, not sure if a box set is planned, but here's hoping.

Offline gazinwales

Headless Cross made my top 50.  It's a brilliant 80's metal album.  Iommi is on absolute fire and there is not a dud song on the whole thing.  When Death Calls is a top Sabbath song for me and could even be my fav.  Brian May does a solo on that song too which is absolutely incredible.

Headless Cross is killer, love the sound, Cozy's drums are amazing, hope it's not brick walled into obliteration with the remaster.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nick, don't trust Tim.

Are you sure it was your partner that handed you the new bottle of shampoo while you were in the shower this morning? You didn't find her arm a little hairy?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, the original sounds so dynamic and full when you crank it.  The drums are a highlight for me too.  Iommi's tone as always is killer but very strong here.

Offline gazinwales

Yeah a real throwback when you crank an album and it sounded better.
These days most metal albums sound terrible and the louder the worse they sound.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nick, don't trust Tim.

Are you sure it was your partner that handed you the new bottle of shampoo while you were in the shower this morning? You didn't find her arm a little hairy?

:lol that's creepy as fuck!

Offline Lowdz

Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #13356 on: September 01, 2021, 02:44:57 AM »
I don’t think I’ve heard Cross Purposes. I don’t remember doing, anyway.
Headless Cross is a great album though. All the Tony Martin era albums are. Not sure why I didn’t bother with CP as it’s not like I didn’t rate them.

And watch out for Tim. He had his own shower experience with Kip Winger - that’s why he hates them so much 😁😁

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #13357 on: September 01, 2021, 05:13:09 AM »
Not sure if you liked Forbidden Paul, that's easily the weakest but CP is quality.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #13358 on: September 01, 2021, 05:33:10 AM »
While Cross Purposes isn't my personal favorite that goes to either headless cross or TYR I think it's the most underrated from the Era. Of course one of the best songs from it "what's the use" was only on the Japan release.

As for forbidden it's still my least favorite but it has grown on me. The album might have some of my favorite Iommi riffs on it. Shaking off the chains is my personal favorite from the album. Ok enough album but I would skip the opening track Illusion of Power. Worst choice to start the album. Should've been buried in the middle
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13359 on: September 01, 2021, 05:49:23 AM »
Shaking Off the Chains is probably my fav after the wonderful title track.  Next in line is the excellent bonus track, Loser Gets it All.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13360 on: September 01, 2021, 06:17:28 AM »
Hey Nick, if you don't mind me asking..how old are you, and in what part of the world are you in? Not stalking! ;D
Shoot me a PM if you don't want to answer here. :)

Nick, don't trust Tim.

:rollin

Happy to actually introduce myself, since I haven't done it elsewhere in the forum...

I'm 44 - my birthday was just last week! Was born and raised in Italy. Came to the US (New Jersey, to be more specific) in 2003 for graduate school , found who would become my wife in 2008 and, well, never went back  ;D Not literally - I just mean I have lived permanently in the US since  :)

We were in NJ for a few years and we moved to PA about five years ago. We live in Bucks County (if you happen to be familiar with the area), so we are still very close to the Garden State...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13361 on: September 01, 2021, 06:19:58 AM »
Happy Birthday for last week and welcome again.  Nice to have another like minded fellow around.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13362 on: September 01, 2021, 07:34:45 AM »
Not sure if you liked Forbidden Paul, that's easily the weakest but CP is quality.

Think I tried it when it was discussed before. Again I don’t remember anything if I did.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13363 on: September 01, 2021, 07:48:12 AM »
Happy to actually introduce myself, since I haven't done it elsewhere in the forum...

Cool, thanks Nick!

I feel I can understand/appreciate others' perspective if I know a little about things like age and locale.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #13364 on: September 01, 2021, 04:10:25 PM »
Anyone else read Nicks intro with this in mind?

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13365 on: September 01, 2021, 04:22:17 PM »
Um.,.no...no idea who that is. :P

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13366 on: September 01, 2021, 04:34:14 PM »
Anyone else read Nicks intro with this in mind?

Um.,.no...no idea who that is. :P

:biggrin:

Dr. Nick Riviera ...quack doctor from The Simpsons ;D Other than sharing (sort of) the first name...not THAT kind of doctor anyway  ;)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #13367 on: September 01, 2021, 06:04:12 PM »
Another re-discovery for the retro albums thread:

Siam - The Language of Menace

It has Tony Mills (RIP), of Shy fame, on vocals. Not quite sure how it did when it came out in 1994 (probably not great), but I remember some reviews were praising it. It's kind of Queensryche-lite, as in: an easy-listening version of easy-listening Queensryche  :). It's actually pretty good, especially when it rocks a little harder, and the vocals are quite impressive. They had a second album, but I never heard it.

Anyone else here familiar with this?

I don't think it's on streaming platforms, but it's on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puPTSzFCJOg

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13368 on: September 01, 2021, 07:09:20 PM »
Another re-discovery for the retro albums thread:

Siam - The Language of Menace

It has Tony Mills (RIP), of Shy fame, on vocals. Not quite sure how it did when it came out in 1994 (probably not great), but I remember some reviews were praising it. It's kind of Queensryche-lite, as in: an easy-listening version of easy-listening Queensryche  :). It's actually pretty good, especially when it rocks a little harder, and the vocals are quite impressive. They had a second album, but I never heard it.

Anyone else here familiar with this?

I don't think it's on streaming platforms, but it's on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puPTSzFCJOg

Yeah.........I used SIAM as a bit of a Queensryche substitute post Empire but the albums for me (including their 2nd album) are about 20% great and 80% just okay but yeah - did enjoy the better songs.   The boys will be surprised to know that I played tracks from this album on a little podcast I used to do around here  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13369 on: September 01, 2021, 07:11:47 PM »
The boys will be surprised to know that I played tracks from this album on a little podcast I used to do around here  :lol

Not surprised, but I definitely don't remember. I'm sure you mentioned Tony Mills, and that should've gotten my attention.