Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907816 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I wonder if Chuck was influenced by these guys.  There's a few things here and there reminding me of Death.  Check 1:57 of N. E. Terror.  That's pure Death.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Escape From Within I hear some Queensryche.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Misguided Fortune absolutely rips.  That intro is so Pantera.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
What’s going on with those cockatoo birds taking over that Australian suburb? It’s freaky. How are they going to get rid of those pricks?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Kade, check out:

the album with the ninja dude on the cover

It's called No Place For Disgrace. It's their 2nd album from 1988. Jason Newsted only played on their debut.

I'm spinning this now.  Thrashtastic!  How have I not checked these guys before?!  Some great riffing here.

:metal 

It's a great album.

I wonder if Chuck was influenced by these guys.  There's a few things here and there reminding me of Death.  Check 1:57 of N. E. Terror.  That's pure Death.

That part is some badassery. I defy anyone to not bob their head during that section.. It's similar to the chorus of Dreams Of Death..the "Can you feel death creeping up on you..." part.

Misguided Fortune absolutely rips.  That intro is so Pantera.

It absolutely does. It has a great solo section. I don't think lead guitar is really the band's strength, but the section in this song is amazing.

The other song I really love is P.A.A.B. That song smokes.

One thing that stands out to me is Kelly Smith's drumming. He reminds me a lot of Dave Lombardo in that while they are both excellent drummers, they are also both easy to air drum too. I was "at the stage" a few times for them basically 6-8 feet from him and he was solid AF.

I mentioned Jason Newsted played on their debut, Doomsday For The Deceiver. That tour was the first time I saw them, though Jason was gone by then. They had a dude named Michael Spencer on bass, who coincidentally played on their two most recent albums.

Anyway, the bass player on No Place (and the next album When The Storm Comes Down) was Troy Gregory. He had a big hand in the songwriting for these two albums. I really liked his style, plus he really added some life to the band on stage. I really missed his presence when he left the band.
An example of their style on these two albums is the tightness of the rhythms as they start and stop mid line. It's a cool thing. I mean, they're not the only band that does it, but they were great at it.

Those are easily my two favorite F&J albums.

This is a bit grainy, but here's a show from Boston in 1988. They were great live back in the day. I didn't see this show, but I saw them in Providence a couple of months later. You can see how lively Troy Gregory is on stage. Also check out Michael Gilbert. He's the short guitarist way over on the left. He was a real interesting cat. He was a little short guy, but he was the fastest headbanger I've ever seen. Plus in this video, he's wearing a white collared polo type shirt. Kind of a funny dichotomy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AK9XyR5zCQ

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Good stuff Tim.  I really enjoyed it, I'll check out more of them for sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What’s going on with those cockatoo birds taking over that Australian suburb? It’s freaky. How are they going to get rid of those pricks?

Lol wut?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Lol, typical Australia.  We don't have hornets or bees or anything killer and scary, we have fucking cockatoos!  :facepalm: :lol

Lol, they are noisy fuckers too.  People wouldn't have been able to hear their TV's that's for damn sure.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I hadn't even heard of that myself.

Perhaps if Kade got a job on the news website -  I might've checked the story "Noisy fuckers descend on Nowra street"   :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I've been listening to some Rainbow this week and I decided to throw this in the car:

I bought it when it came out, but it just never sat well with me. After also listening to Michael Schenker's Immortal this week, and enjoying Ronnnie Romero's tracks, I decided to listen to this for literally the second time.

I must say that this album is really disappointing. The setlist, for the most part is very good. I'd have preferred another JLT track and I thought Child In Time was a great choice.

Whoever paid Ritchie Blackmore to put this together...I don't know, maybe they made out ok, but Blackmore sounds like he couldn't be less interested. The band literally sounds like they had one rehearsal the night before the show.  Romero sounds like some poor hometown kid singing his heart out in a lame Rainbow cover band in a tiny club in front of 12 people. That's what I picture. I listened to the Boston 1981 CD last night and there is so much power and energy. There's none of that here. Ronnie Romero is literally the only thing holding this shit together. I have no idea how he found his vocal cues. He sounds like he was the only one prepared. And while he does an amazing Dio (and Bonnet for that matter) impression, he really sounds like a copycat. Not his fault, but it kind of adds to the cheesyness of the whole thing.

They are in need of a rhythm guitarist because while the band is attempting to actually play a song, Blackmore is literally out in the middle of nowhere. Most of it is just incoherent.

This album is disgraceful. I want my money back.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I hadn't even heard of that myself.

Perhaps if Kade got a job on the news website -  I might've checked the story "Noisy fuckers descend on Nowra street"   :)

How did Tim and Jason know about this but we didn't hey?

That definitely would have been my article title too!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So I've been listening to some Rainbow this week and I decided to throw this in the car:

I bought it when it came out, but it just never sat well with me. After also listening to Michael Schenker's Immortal this week, and enjoying Ronnnie Romero's tracks, I decided to listen to this for literally the second time.

I must say that this album is really disappointing. The setlist, for the most part is very good. I'd have preferred another JLT track and I thought Child In Time was a great choice.

Whoever paid Ritchie Blackmore to put this together...I don't know, maybe they made out ok, but Blackmore sounds like he couldn't be less interested. The band literally sounds like they had one rehearsal the night before the show.  Romero sounds like some poor hometown kid singing his heart out in a lame Rainbow cover band in a tiny club in front of 12 people. That's what I picture. I listened to the Boston 1981 CD last night and there is so much power and energy. There's none of that here. Ronnie Romero is literally the only thing holding this shit together. I have no idea how he found his vocal cues. He sounds like he was the only one prepared. And while he does an amazing Dio (and Bonnet for that matter) impression, he really sounds like a copycat. Not his fault, but it kind of adds to the cheesyness of the whole thing.

They are in need of a rhythm guitarist because while the band is attempting to actually play a song, Blackmore is literally out in the middle of nowhere. Most of it is just incoherent.

This album is disgraceful. I want my money back.

Sounds like it's worth a listen for a laugh.  Truthfully, Rainbow are another that I have a few albums from but never really dug into them.

Offline gazinwales

While I haven't heard the full show, I did see the official live video's, and I thought it just lacked 'everything' that I want from a live show.
It seemed like the songs were played at a slower tempo, with no energy coming from the band or the songs.
I know Ritchie is in his 70's and has arthritis, but still when I saw the video's I was just shocked by it all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
There's three from the recent incarnation of Rainbow:  Memories In Rock, Live In Birmingham, and Memories In Rock II.   I don't really love any of them, to be honest, but that's the worst of the three.   (And no, I'm not suggesting you search out the others; like I said I don't love any of them).   

I'm not blaming him, but I never got the affection for Ronnie Romero as a singer.  He seems a cool dude, and he handled being the front man as well as one could (though if you watch the video, clearly, he was on a short leash) but he's my least favorite of the Rainbow singers.  He just doesn't have the character of those guys that came before.  I think it's because he only has one name, not two.  :)

1 Joe Lynn Turner
2 Ronnie James Dio
3 Graham Bonnet
4 Doogie White
5 Ronnie Romero

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Cool Bill, I was wondering where you stood on this. This would've been a lo better if he had JLT playing with him, but considering how little Blackmore himself sounds like he's putting in, I don't think anything would really help.

Offline ozzy554

Yeah I've only seen a few videos of this version of rainbow and that's enough for me. Romero is singing his ass off but the rest of the band is running on half power at most. I know Blackmore is in his 70s and I didn't expect him to play like he did decades ago but he was even half assing the simpler riffs too. Just comes across as a complete cash grab.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Lol, typical Australia.  We don't have hornets or bees or anything killer and scary, we have fucking cockatoos!  :facepalm: :lol

Lol, they are noisy fuckers too.  People wouldn't have been able to hear their TV's that's for damn sure.

Keep me updated on those noisy pricks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Keep me updated on those noisy pricks.

I still haven't seen this anywhere over here!   :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Those pricks are the top story on my weather app here in Canada

Offline Lowdz

Yeah I've only seen a few videos of this version of rainbow and that's enough for me. Romero is singing his ass off but the rest of the band is running on half power at most. I know Blackmore is in his 70s and I didn't expect him to play like he did decades ago but he was even half assing the simpler riffs too. Just comes across as a complete cash grab.

It was awful. I’m glad I didn’t go. I was very close, but RB just can’t rock anymore. And the rhythm section were poor.

Offline gazinwales

Loads of cockatoo's where I live, they fly around in groups and squawk so loud they are almost deafening.

Offline ozzy554

I have one of them as a pet and he is loud enough on his own. I cant imagine a whole flock of the things.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Told you guys they were noisy fuckers!

Offline Lowdz

I’ve just seen that Tawny Kitaen died yesterday. 58. She’s been a troubled soul.  I wondered why I was drawn to play Whitesnake’s 1987 yesterday.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Bachelor Party movie 84 rules!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I’ve just seen that Tawny Kitaen died yesterday. 58. She’s been a troubled soul.  I wondered why I was drawn to play Whitesnake’s 1987 yesterday.

Those Whitesnake videos came out in '87, and I am pretty sure every guy in my 8th grade circle of friends at the time worshipped all of them because of Ms. Kitaen.  :hat :hat   

Aside from Bachelor Party, I also remember her from an early Seinfeld episode (she was the ditzy girlfriend Jerry had, resulting in his brain and penis playing chess for control of the situation).

R.I.P.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Those Whitesnake videos came out in '87, and I am pretty sure every guy in my 8th grade circle of friends at the time worshipped all of them because of Ms. Kitaen.  :hat :hat   

;D

I did see Witchboard at the movies.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
RIP

Was also on the cover of Ratt's Out Of The Cellar.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn, she was fine.  :'(  So young, RIP.

Offline Lowdz

I preferred Bobbie Brown myself but those Whitesnake videos were iconic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Malmsteen;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F74Tw99qfRg

This is probably better than what he's been doing on the last few, but that's not saying much.  A real singer might have made this listenable, cause it has potential actually, but this sounds like the demo version, especially with the production.  Muddy as fuck.  A shame.

Funny, every Youtube comment is positive too.  He must approve them and delete the negatives ones.

Offline ozzy554

Looks like they've drowned his vocals in effects to give the illusion that he has any kind of range at all.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Bachelor Party movie 84 rules!

"Is that the footlong?"
"And then some!"

Randomly, this line popped into my head yesterday.

And yeah... she was every guys fap-fantasy at some point for our generation.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion