Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907703 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My college roommate was a fan. I was definitely not but I really took to Trip.

The performance with Lombardo is fantastic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

I had this conversation with Chad, and I have no recollection of Hair Metal being referred to has Glam. To me, Glam was in the 70's with Slade/Sweet/T Rex.

Tesla was definitely not a Hair Metal band, despite multiple tours with Poison. They were a 70's band with an 80's production. Great band!

It certainly wasn’t referred to as hair metal in the day. Some bands were called glam metal, such as Pretty Boy Floyd but it was all just hard rock and metal.

Mid eighties the only genres were metal and thrash as far as I remember.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I had this conversation with Chad, and I have no recollection of Hair Metal being referred to has Glam. To me, Glam was in the 70's with Slade/Sweet/T Rex.

Tesla was definitely not a Hair Metal band, despite multiple tours with Poison. They were a 70's band with an 80's production. Great band!

It certainly wasn’t referred to as hair metal in the day. Some bands were called glam metal, such as Pretty Boy Floyd but it was all just hard rock and metal.

A lot of bands in '86-'88 went "glam" - especially for their first couple albums.  Poison and Warrant would be the best examples I can think of.  I mean, if the cover of Look What The Cat Dragged In doesn't scream GLAM, I don't know what does.

Around here, the moniker of Glam Metal and Hair Metal were largely interchangeable.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I never referred to any of the big hair bands as "glam metal" ,"metal" as to me they were just hard rock.  Might've used "hair band" perhaps.   One possible exception being Tigertailz - to me they were both a hair band/glam and metal.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I never referred to any of the big hair bands as "glam metal" ,"metal" as to me they were just hard rock.  Might've used "hair band" perhaps.   One possible exception being Tigertailz - to me they were both a hair band/glam and metal.

Ohh... might have to check them out.  Never heard of 'em (leave it to Brent to drop a band I've never even heard of).

But like I said, if this doesn't scream GLAM, I'm at a loss.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree Chad ..............my post was all about the term "metal".   I never got the idea of bands like Jovi , Warrant, Poison being metal and  "glam hard rock" never worked  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree Chad ..............my post was all about the term "metal".   I never got the idea of bands like Jovi , Warrant, Poison being metal and  "glam hard rock" never worked  ;D

Ahh... gotchya.  And I agree.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim (and possibly others) will probably tear shreds off me for this but when I was a kid I loved Tigertailz's glammed up version of Metallica's Creeping Death .....in fact it might've been the first version of the song I heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cp_GXO64fE

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

A lot of bands in '86-'88 went "glam" - especially for their first couple albums.  Poison and Warrant would be the best examples I can think of.  I mean, if the cover of Look What The Cat Dragged In doesn't scream GLAM, I don't know what does.

Around here, the moniker of Glam Metal and Hair Metal were largely interchangeable.

@ Paul..I absolutely remember the term Hair Metal in the 80's.

@ Chad..Yeah I guess they are as it probably depended on where in the world you were at the time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
In the late 80s in Germany "Hair Metal" definitely was a term, and like you I thought that calling it metal was stupid. Metal was Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer. Until recently I never heard the term "Glam Metal" associated with Bon Jovi, Poison and the likes. I only know Glam Rock from the 70s.

And yeah, that cover screams "glam" but it also screams "hair" (and a lot of hairspray  ;))

PS: Tesla was awesome  :metal :metal :metal
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 12:28:24 AM by Kwyjibo »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Tesla are absolute nobodies out here in Australia which is a shame - would've struggled to fill a pub out here with us diehards at their peak in the US.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I always thought it was assumed that the "metal" moniker attached to Hair and Glam was absolutely tongue in cheek.  They might as well had the label Fake Metal.  It wasn't 'real' metal like Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Priest, Sabbath etc ...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
New Helloween you guys! From their FB:

This is the beginning of something big – here comes "HELLOWEEN". The self-titled new album will be released June 18th, 2021.

Tracklist (there was a pic but FB won't let me embed it in the post):

Out for the Glory
Fear of the Fallen
Best Time
Mass Pollution
Angels
Rise Without Chains
Indestructable
Robot King
Cyanide
Down in the Dumps
Orbit
Skyfall
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I always thought it was assumed that the "metal" moniker attached to Hair and Glam was absolutely tongue in cheek.  They might as well had the label Fake Metal.  It wasn't 'real' metal like Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Priest, Sabbath etc ...

Could be. But those hair/glam bands never claimed they did metal, so why attach a false label to them and then call it fake?

Btw: As we all know the only true metal is Manowar  :biggrin: The rest are whimps and posers.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Could be. But those hair/glam bands never claimed they did metal, so why attach a false label to them and then call it fake?

Btw: As we all know the only true metal is Manowar  :biggrin: The rest are whimps and posers.

If you're not into metal, you are not my friend!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Ohh... might have to check them out.  Never heard of 'em (leave it to Brent to drop a band I've never even heard of).

But like I said, if this doesn't scream GLAM, I'm at a loss.

Tygdrtailz were pretty shit. Their second album was ok, I have that one.

And Tim, maybe it was a USA thing then. It wasn’t in use in the uk.

Offline Lowdz

New Sweet Oblivion track. I really like it. Tate is a bit back in the mix like the last track. Definite QR vibes which is a good thing.

https://youtu.be/tlpHNGDva5Q

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Sweet Oblivion track. I really like it. Tate is a bit back in the mix like the last track. Definite QR vibes which is a good thing.

Eh, it's better than the first song.  Solid.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I definitely remember Tigertailz, and the moment I looked at them was the moment that Hair Metal jumped the shark.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

The body of the song is okay but that "3 power chord"  intro is one of the most unimaginative riffs I have ever heard...........sounds like something a 10 year old came up with.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 07:45:19 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I’m surprised he didn’t tell you but Ben wrote that riff. I think he did a decent job actually.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
That Sweet Oblivion track showed up in my Spotify release playlist.  Solid is an apt description.  I'll spin the album when it drops, but have relatively low expectations.  The first album was so emotionless... Tater was clearly just going thru the motions.  The follow up stories certainly didn't make me want to go back and give 'er another listen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That Sweet Oblivion track showed up in my Spotify release playlist.  Solid is an apt description.  I'll spin the album when it drops, but have relatively low expectations.  The first album was so emotionless... Tater was clearly just going thru the motions.  The follow up stories certainly didn't make me want to go back and give 'er another listen.

Despite the turmoil in relation to the first album, I thought it was pretty good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It’s good but just needs to be turned up a notch or two (3) for me to visualize it as a true QR reunion (I’m sure everyone knows and understands)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I’m surprised he didn’t tell you but Ben wrote that riff. I think he did a decent job actually.

;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
It’s good but just needs to be turned up a notch or two (3) for me to visualize it as a true QR reunion (I’m sure everyone knows and understands)

Turned up to 11, yep, we get it. :P

Offline cfmoran13

Tesla are absolute nobodies out here in Australia which is a shame - would've struggled to fill a pub out here with us diehards at their peak in the US.
Just curious, has Tesla ever toured Australia?  Seems like it would've been an extremely long and expensive flight to try and win over a new audience.  Absolute shame, too. 

Fantastic band that should've either brought back Tommy Skeoch (never would've happened) or stopped writing new material after he left.  They've been stuck in mid-tempo purgatory ever since he left.  It's like they've forgotten how to write a rocker.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I never really took to Into The Now, but I thought Forever More was pretty good.  I thought I sampled a new album and remembering it sucking a couple of years ago.

Offline cfmoran13

I never really took to Into The Now, but I thought Forever More was pretty good.  I thought I sampled a new album and remembering it sucking a couple of years ago.
That probably would've been the Phil Collen-produced 'Shock'.  It's the only Tesla album I don't own.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That probably would've been the Phil Collen-produced 'Shock'.  It's the only Tesla album I don't own.

Yeah that's the one. WTF is that??

I freaking loved Tesla back in the day and saw them a bunch of times between 1987-1994.

Offline cfmoran13

I freaking loved Tesla back in the day and saw them a bunch of times between 1987-1994.

It's called garbage!  There are plenty of bands who could benefit from the direction of a child of Mutt Lange.  However, while the Tesla train might've been broken for a little while, that's not what it needed to be fixed.

I got to see them on the Mechanical Resonance tour, opening up Def Leppard's Hysteria show.  They were fantastic.   I was also lucky enough to see them as a 4-piece, touring their Time's Makin' Changes greatest hits album.  A very cool and unique show, for sure.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just curious, has Tesla ever toured Australia?  Seems like it would've been an extremely long and expensive flight to try and win over a new audience.  Absolute shame, too. 

Fantastic band that should've either brought back Tommy Skeoch (never would've happened) or stopped writing new material after he left.  They've been stuck in mid-tempo purgatory ever since he left.  It's like they've forgotten how to write a rocker.

After a bit of research it looks like Tesla were out here in 2007 playing a small venue.   I didn't go so either I wasn't aware or had something else on.  I almost certainly would've tried to catch them , even though I wasn't a massive fan of Into The Now.

That's the thing these days ...........bands could come out and play a small pub gig and unless you're moving around the city or checking gig guides ( I don't do either these days) they might just come and go without fans noticing.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

They were so good back then.

Since they came back I haven’t really liked anything they’ve done. That last album was poor. The one before I think I liked on first listen but JK’s voice sounded like a duck quacking.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I got to see them on the Mechanical Resonance tour, opening up Def Leppard's Hysteria show.  They were fantastic.   I was also lucky enough to see them as a 4-piece, touring their Time's Makin' Changes greatest hits album.  A very cool and unique show, for sure.

I also saw them open for Def Leppard on the Mechanical Resonance tour. But I also saw them 9 months earlier opening for David Lee Roth.

I saw them as a 4 piece too on the Bust A Nut tour.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I picked up a couple of Tesla records second hand a few years back after Chad pimped them in a roulette.  I really couldn't get into them at all.