Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908131 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
From what I remember, DC and Ralf were the top two until they saw Rippers tape.

I loved Tim but Ralf would have been so good in Priest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Fo sho. 

But then who for Primal Fear?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Fo sho. 

They just would have started a few years later after Ralf got the boot.  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Fo sho. 

:rollin
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
When you are a replacement singer for a big band, every morning you wake up and don't have a message saying you are fired, thats a win lol.  I'm sure Ripper and Blaze expected it every day.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Hagar probably didn’t.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Hagar probably didn’t.  :lol

Absolutely not lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brian Johnson either!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
We certainly know Tarja didn't see it coming as the original singer.  I get the sentiment for the replacement, but damn, the business is tough internally with bands at times.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Damian Wilson's shafting for the last album is one of the most brutal I can remember.  I know he was in and out over time, but damn he got fucked over there.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Damian Wilson's shafting for the last album is one of the most brutal I can remember.  I know he was in and out over time, but damn he got fucked over there.

I don't know what this means  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I don't know what this means  :metal

https://www.loudersound.com/news/damian-wilson-threshold-departure-not-a-mutual-decision

Out of the blue they just axed him.  The band recorded the album with him but didn't like it and brought in an old vocalist to take his place and re-recorded the album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I didn't realize Jon Schaffer was in Threshold.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry Kadester, that link has nothing to do with 70s/80s/early 90s.........couldnt care less  :metal

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Actually, it does. Threshold started in the early 90s .... ‘93 to be exact.  :P

And yeah, Wilson got hooped here. Though, in the end... Legends is a great sounding album with Glynn.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't realize Jon Schaffer was in Threshold.

:lol  Pretty sure Yngwie Malmsteen is the guitarist too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Actually, it does. Threshold started in the early 90s .... ‘93 to be exact.  :P

And yeah, Wilson got hooped here. Though, in the end... Legends is a great sounding album with Glynn.

Yeah, I couldn't care less on the decision cause it is a great album, but still would have liked to hear it with Damian.  pretty cold decision in the end but business is business.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry Kadester, that link has nothing to do with 70s/80s/early 90s.........couldnt care less  :metal

lol.  I was just testing you.......and you passed!

You wouldn't like them anyway.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

lol.  I was just testing you.......and you passed!

You wouldn't like them anyway.

I'm not good at this game..........how about that Dio, Rush, AC/DC, Priest, Van Halen or Maiden?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of Priest and Schaffer, Owens getting axed in Priest and then in IE would have been fucking depressing.  Considering Owens was always the voice Schaffer heard in his head when writing for IE only to be ditched again for Matt who lasted for one crappy album.  Then Stu comes in and is there to stay.  How fucking rough would that have been for him.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of Priest and Schaffer, Owens getting axed in Priest and then in IE would have been fucking depressing.  Considering Owens was always the voice Schaffer heard in his head when writing for IE only to be ditched again for Matt who lasted for one crappy album.  Then Stu comes in and is there to stay.  How fucking rough would that have been for him.

give me a break.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim got the shaft from IE......voice you heard in your head..lol.....Tim was a great singer, did probably the best job anyone could have done in Priest (way better than Ralf or DC), but was in over his head, no question, ........that Barlow album was weak, you are right Wolf.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
98 Live Meltdown is truly the  best anyone could have done vocally in Priest besides Halford no question.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

give me a break.

I thought you were having a go at me there for a minute!  :lol

98 Live Meltdown is truly the  best anyone could have done vocally in Priest besides Halford no question.

That's a fantastic live album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

give me a break.

I always agree with Wolf (except for growls)...... :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

give me a break.

I always agree with Wolf (except for growls)...... :metal

:lol  Don't worry, that's a given mate.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

Fo sho. 

If Ralf did great, and possibly even better than Owens, would they have sacked him if the fans ended up accepting him. In the same way Floor, was loved and accepted, by Nightwish fans.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Ralf would have done a good job. His vocals are more similar to Halford and it would have been a smoother transition.  I know Wolf loves Jugulator, but I think a large chunk of the fanbase wasn’t digging it or were indifferent. Jugulator was not the album fans expected and neither was Demolition overall. So for Ralf to work, the band would have had to make a classic sounding Priest album/s.....kind of like the first three Primal Fear albums lol. But I think it was a given Rob would be back at some point no matter what.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Fo sho. 

If Ralf did great, and possibly even better than Owens, would they have sacked him if the fans ended up accepting him. In the same way Floor, was loved and accepted, by Nightwish fans.

It wouldn't matter who took over.  Once Rob and the band reconciled and wanted to reunite, they'd be gone.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Plus I think with Rob, it seemed like there was unfinished business for him in Priest. Painkiller was an outstanding album and him leaving seemed unnecessary and premature. Fans definitely didn’t want a split or new singer. Unlike with Queensryche who released subpar albums and parts of the fanbase were wanting a change.

Speaking of Rob, boneyard just played Fight Nailed to the Gun. Great tune and the version on Live Insurrection is kick ass.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You are right too Jason, Jugulator and Demolition didn't help was only pushed the case for the band to reunite.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
War of Words is a great album.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

Fo sho. 

It wouldn't matter who took over.  Once Rob and the band reconciled and wanted to reunite, they'd be gone.

That would be if Ralf didn't end up becoming a fan favorite. And Label saw the money would be better to keep Ralf, than risk getting Rob back.

Or we would've gotten both, in the Halloween situation...

But, I don't how the bands contract is with their label, and all the business aspects.

Could very well, have said by to Ralf. But it all depends on how Ralf would've been accepted by the fans, and if that would be turning better profits or not. It's stupid business stuff like this, that makes bands decide on certain questionable decisions.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD