Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908046 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm really liking the new Primal Fear.  Probably better than the last 2.  Nowhere near DTB level but very enjoyable.  Tom being more involved in the songwriting really gives this some freshness and Tom taking a lot more leads really gives it an old school PF vibe at times.  Still not keen on Alex's leads though.  He is a pretty uninspiring guitarist IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Haven’t heard the new one but can’t say that I was too overly impressed with the last two PF albums. They were good but nothing that grabbed me to replay them much.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Can't say I'm at all familiar with Brighton Rock but more awful news. Just turned 58.

http://bravewords.com/news/brighton-rock-singer-gerry-mcghee-passes-away-from-cancer
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Take a Deep Breath is an excellent album.  They were pretty big up here in the mid/late 80s.  Damn shame.  He had a pretty distinctive voice.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Haven’t heard the new one but can’t say that I was too overly impressed with the last two PF albums. They were good but nothing that grabbed me to replay them much.

More of the same but I do think this one will rank higher in the long run.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I was listening to my best of 1981 Spotify playlist today while working outside.

These two songs really jumped out at me and deserve attention!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQZIhFQjUfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD2IUyfeTyM

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
So I was listening to my best of 1981 Spotify playlist today while working outside.

Sign of the Gypsy Queen still gets a lot of radio airtime up here.  I always considered April Wine to be like Canada's version of BoC.  So many great rock n roll songs.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sign of the Gypsy Queen is one of my all time favs  :metal :metal :metal :metal

I like all the Samson songs I’ve heard. Should have had a bit more success; I think they had some singer by the name of Bruce Bruce. Plus a lunatic masked wearing drummer named Thunderstick. That guy seemed cool 😎

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Sign of the Gypsy Queen is one of my all time favs  :metal :metal :metal :metal

One of their lesser known beauties is Weeping Willow.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKCtHOICXtE

Kade, you punch the guitarist in the face and I'll kick the drummer's ass.

Brian Johnson WTF??

Offline gazinwales

Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #12400 on: September 01, 2020, 01:20:28 AM »
It's alright for that era and the song isn't too bad at all.
I have never heard BJ sing properly before either.

Perhaps you should give yourself an upper cut?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #12401 on: September 01, 2020, 01:21:30 AM »

Brian Johnson WTF??

Lol.  Can't wait to see what this is tonight.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12402 on: September 01, 2020, 01:22:38 AM »
I reckon the guitarist looks a bit like someone I know  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12403 on: September 01, 2020, 05:37:29 AM »

The song is damn nice! :lol
Totally earwormed me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12404 on: September 01, 2020, 05:43:55 AM »
I have never heard BJ sing properly before either.

Perhaps you should give yourself an upper cut?

Disco-Metal!!! It’s like ABBA and Scorpions had a hate fuck.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12405 on: September 01, 2020, 06:01:02 AM »

Brian Johnson WTF??

Ha!  Not what I expected but I thought this was at least solid haha.  His voice is awesome.  The guitarist and the drummer do need a kicking with their carry on though.

The hair though, my God the hair!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #12406 on: September 01, 2020, 06:05:14 AM »
The only April Wine song I ever heard was I Like To Rock on the Monsters of Rock lp from the first MoR festival. Can't remember anything about it but I liked that song. i will give them some attention.

That's the first Geordie song I ever heard but wow, Brian could actually sing. Awful song and I won't be bothering with anything else, but was nice to see.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12407 on: September 01, 2020, 06:15:52 AM »

2 great tunes there.  The April Wine had a wicked atmosphere.

I never checked Samson with Bruce.  Not sure why.  That rocked.  The solo section gave me strong Mercyful Fate vibes.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #12408 on: September 01, 2020, 06:24:27 AM »

Brian Johnson WTF??

Man I had never heard early Brian before. Now I wish AC/DC had incorporated more of his range into their songs.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #12409 on: September 01, 2020, 06:30:48 AM »

2 great tunes there.  The April Wine had a wicked atmosphere.

I never checked Samson with Bruce.  Not sure why.  That rocked.  The solo section gave me strong Mercyful Fate vibes.

Shock Tactics and Head On are the only albums I've heard from Samson and both were decent.Bruce upped his game considerably on NotB.

There's a very familiar track on Head On, if you listen to Maiden's Killers.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12410 on: September 02, 2020, 04:45:04 PM »
Tim, they just mentioned on the Boneyard about a new Thin Lizzy box set that’s coming out in October. He mentioned 74 unreleased tracks and a documentary. Have you heard about this?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12411 on: September 02, 2020, 04:54:05 PM »
Tim, they just mentioned on the Boneyard about a new Thin Lizzy box set that’s coming out in October. He mentioned 74 unreleased tracks and a documentary. Have you heard about this?

Yes. But apparently demo versions of released songs count as unreleased songs. I was looking at the tracklist the other day.

http://bravewords.com/news/thin-lizzy-rock-legends-6-cd-dvd-box-set-to-include-74-previously-unreleased-songs-jailbreak-demo-streaming

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12412 on: September 02, 2020, 05:06:41 PM »
I’m not familiar with some of those song titles. Are there any songs that you aren’t familiar with? I’m personally not a fan of when bands release demos as bonus tracks. I’ve never heard a demo that I liked better than the finished song; pretty much an immediate skip for me

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12413 on: September 02, 2020, 05:11:23 PM »
I’m not familiar with some of those song titles. Are there any songs that you aren’t familiar with? I’m personally not a fan of when bands release demos as bonus tracks. I’ve never heard a demo that I liked better than the finished song; pretty much an immediate skip for me

There's only a handful of tracks, but everything else has been released. I'm not interested. The only disc that would interest me would be the 1980 Chinatown show.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12414 on: September 02, 2020, 05:15:41 PM »
Was just playing “Killer on the Loose”.......that song was rocks  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12415 on: September 02, 2020, 05:16:58 PM »
Chinatown is way underrated. Those two albums with Snowy White are great.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12416 on: September 02, 2020, 06:11:35 PM »

Word.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12417 on: September 02, 2020, 06:52:36 PM »
 :tup  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12418 on: September 03, 2020, 01:16:02 AM »
Chinatown is way underrated.

Quoted for truth.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #12419 on: September 03, 2020, 07:16:17 AM »
Chinatown is way underrated. Those two albums with Snowy White are great.

Played both in the last few days as my best albums of 80-84 is on in the car. Both excellent but as with most Lizzy, a couple of skipable tracks on each.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #12420 on: September 05, 2020, 07:06:00 AM »
I can confirm that the new Stryker is solid. Nothing jumped out and grabbed me, but an ok listen.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12421 on: September 10, 2020, 07:08:23 PM »
New Lords of Black. https://youtu.be/4NMvC4IDh2E

Let the flaming begin. I don’t care what ya’ll think, anything with Romero is virtually and instant purchase for me.  :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12423 on: September 10, 2020, 07:58:27 PM »
Have you guys heard my album?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5wKBv1BMOw

:metal

Obviously I only listen to 99.99999% 70's/80's/early 90's rock/metal......................but when there is a band called Jason.....I'm sure all of you will join me in saying  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal...................thanks Timster.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12424 on: September 10, 2020, 07:59:38 PM »
Rooted in the Little Brazil section of Winnipeg! :lol