Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907323 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Quiet Riot is a great band. Metal Health I believe was the first metal album to go to number one and Slave to the Grind was the first to debut at number 1.

I remember watching Behind the Music on QR; they definitely rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Still can’t deny that awesomeness of the Metal Health album  :metal

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sad news about Frankie

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Frankie Banali RIP

http://bravewords.com/news/quiet-riot-drummer-frankie-banali-dead-at-68

Feel so bad for the guy.

Awful.  I don't think it's a big shock after his run of illness.  Still very young.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's been a bad week and a half.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I like it , although I hear a LOT of very familiar sounds.   Hansen is a deadringer for someone I can't put my finger on at the moment - perhaps the dude from Saint Daemon-  and I also reckon their current sound is heavily influenced by a band called Divided Multitude (who yes....were around before Pyramaze).   The other thing I struggle with is the production - as soon as it started I was a bit put off.  Just such a wall of muddy sound.

All that said , I found it a pleasant listen  :lol

Are you talking vocals?  Because the vocalist is Terje Haroy.  But yeah I can hear the Saint Deamon sound actually.  I only have Pandemonium but it's a pretty good album.  Will have to check Divide Multitude.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I like it , although I hear a LOT of very familiar sounds.   Hansen is a deadringer for someone I can't put my finger on at the moment - perhaps the dude from Saint Daemon-  and I also reckon their current sound is heavily influenced by a band called Divided Multitude (who yes....were around before Pyramaze).   The other thing I struggle with is the production - as soon as it started I was a bit put off.  Just such a wall of muddy sound.

Are you talking vocals?  Because the vocalist is Terje Haroy.  But yeah I can hear the Saint Deamon sound actually.  I only have Pandemonium but it's a pretty good album.  Will have to check Divide Multitude.

Check 2019's Faceless Aggressor.  Most excellent album
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Are you talking vocals?  Because the vocalist is Terje Haroy.

Yeah ........had guitarists on the mind while typing and prepping lessons :lol

RIP Frankie  :-\  Not a great fan of what he did to Quiet Riot post-Dubrow (on and off the stage) - his work on WASP's The Headless Children was huge and what I mostly remember him for.  :metal
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:13:07 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
That sucks about Frankie Banali.  I always respected him for keeping Quiet Riot going, even though I never cared for the tunes, aside from the classics - Metal Health is such an amazing song.

This is my favorite performance of his...the drums on Chainsaw Charlie from WASP's The Crimson Idol are fucking amazing.   :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz5ax83Yzb0

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

RIP Frankie  :-\  Not a great fan of what he did to Quiet Riot post-Dubrow (on and off the stage) - his work on WASP's The Headless Children was huge and what I mostly remember him for.  :metal

Same.  Especially the few tracks on TCI too plus Still Not Black Enough which I always found very underrated.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, what do you have for a rating for the Quiet Riot album with Paul Shortino? I’ve only heard a few songs from that one, but thought they were pretty good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The guitars/writing were often so basic with QR my ear just drifted..........I actually listened more to the album with Shortino that everyone else hates  :lol   

Everyone else except JJ  :biggrin:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The guitars/writing were often so basic with QR my ear just drifted..........I actually listened more to the album with Shortino that everyone else hates  :lol   

Everyone else except JJ  :biggrin:

😂

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

Same.  Especially the few tracks on TCI too plus Still Not Black Enough which I always found very underrated.
I always thought TCI was overrated, but the first half of SNBE is a monster. A while back I did some reading on Banali's influences, and never once did he mention anything about Keith Moon. Yet his drumming on those WASP albums seemed to be him essentially channeling Moon. At times he's not even using the hi hat. I know Blackie was a big fan, so he might have steered Frankie in that direction, but he did a great job at it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ozzy554

Crimson Idol and Dying for the World are my top 2 favorite WASP albums. Never realized that he played with Blackie for that long
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Huh. I was out on WASP after The Electric Circus. I did buy the tape of THC, but I never really gave it a lot.

I've heard TCI, but I don't remember being all that blown away by that either.

Offline Lowdz

Huh. I was out on WASP after The Electric Circus. I did buy the tape of THC, but I never really gave it a lot.

I didn’t bother with them for a long time after a Crimson Idol (not sure why because I love that album) but al their albums have plenty of great songs.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I didn’t bother with them for a long time after a Crimson Idol (not sure why because I love that album) but al their albums have plenty of great songs.

Ditto - I was really underwhelmed by Still Not Black Enough when it came out ........couldn't believe how "unheavy" it was and just stuck to the classics.  All the samples I heard were very samey and I never checked out much again until Dying For The World.   Still much prefer the classics (and keep hearing recycled riffs etc....) but he has done some good stuff in the back end of his career.

Blackie comes across pretty poor sometimes but his tribute to Frankie is quite beautiful

https://www.facebook.com/W.A.S.P.Nation/posts/3201195733299145

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
And a tribute to Yngwie by one of the greats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgmN14-qnuk

Better synced than most music videos  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Live the shot from the rear of the 4 dudes swaying back and forth. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmmm......I pretty much know every WASP album front to back, especially the later ones.  Maybe after Tim does his UFO one I should look at doing one of these listening parties.  Would love to give my views on all these albums and share my WASP journey.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmmm......I pretty much know every WASP album front to back, especially the later ones.  Maybe after Tim does his UFO one I should look at doing one of these listening parties.  Would love to give my views on all these albums and share my WASP journey.

Would most definitely follow. I’ve got albums - THC, TCI, Babylon and Golgotha. I think I may have spun s/t and Dominator once.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Would most definitely follow. I’ve got albums - THC, TCI, Babylon and Golgotha. I think I may have spun s/t and Dominator once.

There's so many more albums too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Crimson Idol and Dying for the World are my top 2 favorite WASP albums. Never realized that he played with Blackie for that long

Dying For The World is an absolute ripper.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Lol.  That was fucking awesome.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
New Black Fate.   :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPLtmcqVtDM

Didn't know they were working on an album.  Lots of nice releases coming in the next couple of months that I'm looking forward to.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Hell fucking yes.  :metal

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

That would be awesome! For me, nothing tops the first album but I definitely haven’t heard everything from them.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

I like how he added the piped in Japanese crowd noise, just like the '85 show.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lowdz

DO IT!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Time will be an issue by the time it rolls around but I'll start thinking about it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You have plenty of time. Orbert started the Jethro Tull on on May 19....three months ago!

The UFO one could be easily as long. I'm not settled on the pacing just yet.

Just plan on right after Christmas.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
You have plenty of time. Orbert started the Jethro Tull on on May 19....three months ago!

Nothing says Christmas more than W.A.S.P  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Still not great timing wise but plenty of time til then.

Nothing says Christmas more than W.A.S.P  :lol

Solid argument.