Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907796 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Never checked out any Armored Saint, but that song was quite cool.

You need to check them out.  One of the most underated bands in metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
From that video I saw a link to Raising Fear.  Listening now, good album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
March of the Saint album, along with Symbol of Salvation would be my favorite.  But you cant go wrong with any of their material- everything they have released is gold.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What?

They are a borderline Top 10 band for me.
Raising Fear is AWESOME!!!!
Best song off of it is Book Of Blood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRHQEtFq0HU
Awesome solo from Dave Prichard

Check that out. Better yet, check out the live version off of Saints Will Conquer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOzmOKYSZU8
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:38:34 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought you were following my Top 50   :P  ;D  Symbol of Salvation for me too - check out Reign of Fire or Tainted Past
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:22:27 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I thought you were following my Top 50   :P  ;D  Symbol of Salvation for me too - check out Reign of Fire or Tainted Past
I love Tainted Past, and Burning Question.

The last time I saw them with Dave, Jeff Duncan had already joined the band and they played both Reign Of Fire and Spineless, well before SOS came out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like I got some homework boys.  Always knew the name, but just a band I never got around to checking out. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like I got some homework boys.  Always knew the name, but just a band I never got around to checking out.

I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but do you like the John Bush era of Anthrax? What a voice on the dude, but I always thought his work with Armored Saint better suited him. You'll love the band!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Kade.........might be up your alley:

Michael Denner and Hank Shermann, the original guitar players of Mercyful Fate's legendary Melissa and Don't Break The Oath albums, have created a new classic in the forthcoming EP, Satan's Tomb, coming in 2015 on Metal Blade Records. These songs were crafted with the Mercyful Fate worldwide legion of fans at the forefront of their collective minds. The band is simply called Denner / Shermann and the music for their debut release has been completed and promises to be one of the finest pure classic metal releases of 2015.

Shermann first called upon Marc Grabowski (Demonica) to handle the bass guitar, followed by the only drummer that made sense for many obvious aspects, the one known as Snowy Shaw (Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Dream Evil). Many voices were considered, but fate lead them to Sean Peck (Cage and Death Dealer). He was not only a fan but had the versatile vocal skills to make the new songs come to life like their fans would expect.

Hank Shermann comments: "We have been writing and recording with an incredible line up of musicians and the fans are in for a dark, classic, heavy metal treat for sure. We wanted to get back to the essence of what we created back in the early 80s. The music inevitable sounds like you would hope it to be, fans of our early work should be very excited."
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but do you like the John Bush era of Anthrax? What a voice on the dude, but I always thought his work with Armored Saint better suited him. You'll love the band!

Never got into Anthrax much either man, they were another band I just didn't get around to checking out.  Will add to the list too.

Kade.........might be up your alley:

Michael Denner and Hank Shermann, the original guitar players of Mercyful Fate's legendary Melissa and Don't Break The Oath albums, have created a new classic in the forthcoming EP, Satan's Tomb, coming in 2015 on Metal Blade Records. These songs were crafted with the Mercyful Fate worldwide legion of fans at the forefront of their collective minds. The band is simply called Denner / Shermann and the music for their debut release has been completed and promises to be one of the finest pure classic metal releases of 2015.

Shermann first called upon Marc Grabowski (Demonica) to handle the bass guitar, followed by the only drummer that made sense for many obvious aspects, the one known as Snowy Shaw (Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Dream Evil). Many voices were considered, but fate lead them to Sean Peck (Cage and Death Dealer). He was not only a fan but had the versatile vocal skills to make the new songs come to life like their fans would expect.

Hank Shermann comments: "We have been writing and recording with an incredible line up of musicians and the fans are in for a dark, classic, heavy metal treat for sure. We wanted to get back to the essence of what we created back in the early 80s. The music inevitable sounds like you would hope it to be, fans of our early work should be very excited."

Yep, already on my radar.  I wish a MF reunion were possible, but this is the next best thing.  Sean Peck's okay, he has some pipes.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Metal-Pioneers-L/dp/B00RZXWWGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425261468&sr=8-1&keywords=inside+metal

If anyone is still interested Part 1 of the Inside LA metal series (1 of 3 ) is finally out on DVD.  Aussies can get it locally through Utopia.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Is live to see it, but I just don't think I could part with any $$ for it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
These names mean little to me but anyway..........

German/American metallers ACCEPT have announced the addition of guitarist Uwe Lulis (GRAVE DIGGER, REBELLION) and drummer Christopher Williams to the group's ranks.

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/accept-announces-new-guitarist-drummer/#AG1s6i8iCtUj780k.99

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Interesting. Never heard of them! :D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Uwe Luis, nice.  Shame he's probably going to be stuck on rhythm only.  Next album Wolf should share solo with Uwe, he's pretty good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
All things considered (and allowing for the vox being a bit low in this vid) AC/DC are sounding pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWzS1lFW3Q&feature=youtu.be

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Rock Or Bust was an interesting album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
18 and Life by Skid Row w/Harnell on vox

https://skidrow.com/media/music/SkidRow_18_and_Life.mp3?hc_location=ufi

As expected he's hitting notes Baz couldn't these days but the low end lacks some edge.  On the whole though I think it sounds good.  Having said that I think they picked the track well - I still can't imagine how the heavier songs like Monkey Business, Slave To The Grind Youth Gone Wild etc....will sound much like the originals.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
All things considered (and allowing for the vox being a bit low in this vid) AC/DC are sounding pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWzS1lFW3Q&feature=youtu.be

AC/DC are always pretty consistent, with the main variable being Brian, and it looks like this was 3rd in the set after two Bon songs, so he should have been nice and warmed up at that point. Angus is sounding a little rough for him, which is what I experienced when I saw him on the Black Ice tour, but he's always been such a tight performer that for any other guitarist his age, I'd still consider his playing very good. I'm still not a fan of them playing down a half step. Maybe if they'd done that 20 years ago it would have made a difference, but I don't see the point now.

As expected he's hitting notes Baz couldn't these days but the low end lacks some edge.  On the whole though I think it sounds good.  Having said that I think they picked the track well - I still can't imagine how the heavier songs like Monkey Business, Slave To The Grind Youth Gone Wild etc....will sound much like the originals.

Pretty good. The high notes sound like a bit of a struggle, but he managed them nicely. Better than the awful version of I Remember You they re-recorded with that other vocalist.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Sounds good.  Way way way better then Johnny.

Offline Deathless

Sounds good.  Way way way better then Johnny.

They should have picked up Harnell 15 years ago! I'm excited to hear the new EP now. The music on the last two was very solid.. the singing was not.  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Look what I stumbled across today guys.............(part of  :-\ ) my 1978 set of KISS cards.  I haven't seen these in 25-30 years and I was super obsessed with these cards from around the age of 6 or 7.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Awesome!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Wow.  I had a set of those too, but they are LONG gone.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I believe my brother has the same set of cards. No idea if it's complete or not though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I absolutely had those!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I had them all and like a young jerk, I handled them like crap.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Those cards look like they are in very good condition

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't believe how wimpy Tygers of Pan Tang's 1987 effort is  :lol   It's a good AOR album but just doesn't sound like them at all.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I can't believe how wimpy Tygers of Pan Tang's 1987 effort is  :lol   It's a good AOR album but just doesn't sound like them at all.
The only things I had were Wild Cat and Spellbound.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well some of the songs on this make Bon Jovi sound like Napalm Death  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Another new Armored Saint track "Mess" available here.   I hate to say it but , even though parts of it are good,  I think the song title is accurate  :lol

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/armored-saint-new-song-mess-available-for-streaming/

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Was that called the Wrecked Age or something like that? I remember hearing it and thinking it was wimpy.

I'll check out the AS later

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Another new Armored Saint track "Mess" available here.   I hate to say it but , even though parts of it are good,  I think the song title is accurate  :lol

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/armored-saint-new-song-mess-available-for-streaming/

I like it.  But then again, I'm biased in the sense that Armored Saint can do no wrong in my eyes!