Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 905022 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
When it comes to Racer X (when I was young) I just listened to one song over and over -  Scarified.

That's an absolute classic.  When you think Racer X, I too think Scarified.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That sounds like a subjective opinion to me Wolfster. But then again, it could be objective. I’ll go with objectively subjective.

Both opinions could be subjectively objective.  Or they could be objectively subjective, I'm not sure.

Offline max_security

When it comes to Racer X (when I was young) I just listened to one song over and over -  Scarified.

That's an absolute classic.  When you think Racer X, I too think Scarified.

Or " Scit  Scat  Wah "
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 07:00:58 PM by max_security »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I was watching abut a half hour of this show:
https://youtu.be/lWbMu0DUzXU?t=1308

It's Motley Crue in Ohio '87.

A couple thoughts:

I LOVE daytime outdoor shows.

Say what you want about about Motley Crue, but I saw them in '85, '87' & '89, and they were great and entertaining shows. So while I thought Theater Of Pain and Girls Girls Girls both blew, the tours were great.

It's linked up to start at Ten Seconds To Love, which might be my favorite Crue tune.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard a full MC album.  I should change that.  I just never cared for the songs I've heard.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Start with Shout at the Devil, that's their best album IMO.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Start with Shout at the Devil, that's their best album IMO.

I may just do that J.

Offline max_security

I like Too Fast For Love ( first album ). It's raw as F for a studio album but the performances and songs are great. Back in high school my band played most of the first two albums .

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I like Too Fast For Love ( first album ). It's raw as F for a studio album but the performances and songs are great.

This.  Dr. Feelgood sits in my Top 50 of all time.  I thought they did a masterful job of blending their original style with commercial accessibility.  Theatre of Pain and Girls3 were way too hard of an effort to be commercial.  And I agree with Tim ... they both blew as a result.  Nikki's near-death experience brought out some better writing from him - at least for one album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
It's linked up to start at Ten Seconds To Love, which might be my favorite Crue tune.

I'll bet I could ruin that song for you forever with one word change of the lyrics.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

I like Too Fast For Love ( first album ). It's raw as F for a studio album but the performances and songs are great.

This.  Dr. Feelgood sits in my Top 50 of all time.  I thought they did a masterful job of blending their original style with commercial accessibility.  Theatre of Pain and Girls3 were way too hard of an effort to be commercial.  And I agree with Tim ... they both blew as a result.  Nikki's near-death experience brought out some better writing from him - at least for one album.

As Chad says, Dr Feelgood is a classic 80s album. Shout At The Devil is great. The debut is great but raw and more glam. The rest can pretty much be forgotten about, though Primal Scream is a good song from their greatest hits album.

It’s weird. I consider myself a Crue fan but most of their discog is shit 🤔

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I know what you are saying Paul.

The debut and SATD are heavier and harder edge.  Theatre, Girls and Feelgood are all great, but I found a bit too poppy/sugary.  If they would have just made the albums a bit more guitar heavy, I would like them even more.  But overall, the first five Crue albums are all classic rock/metal and I enjoy them all.

The self titled really has to be classified on it's own as it's a completely different sound and vibe.  I thought it was pretty good, but nothing I would go out of my way to listen to.

However, Generation Swine, New Tattoo and Saints, besides a handful of songs, are terrible.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The only post Dr Feelgood album from them that I have ever heard is Saints Of Los Angeles. I heard the song and bought the album right off. The song is one of their best tracks, but I literally don't remember a damn thing about the album, other than the fact that no song was nearly as good as the title track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The only post Dr Feelgood album from them that I have ever heard is Saints Of Los Angeles. I heard the song and bought the album right off. The song is one of their best tracks, but I literally don't remember a damn thing about the album, other than the fact that no song was nearly as good as the title track.

I agree 100%.  Easily the best Crue song post Dr Feelgood and the best song on that album.  The rest of Saints was pure tripe.  I remember both Saints of Los Angeles and Priest's Nostradamus came out at the same time.  After listening to both and thinking both were basically garbage, I really thought why am I listening to these albums when I could just listen to Shout at the Devil and Screaming for Vengeance.

Offline Lowdz

I was hugely disappointed in Theater of Pain. Haven’t played it in years. Girls is half great, half average. I didn’t like the self titled apart from Poison Apples. Generation Swine I never even bothered with.

I did get New Tattoo and I played it last week. It was ok. I liked Saints when it came out but haven’t played it in years.

I had tickets for the tour back in the 80s that was cancelled because Doc McGhee thought Nikki was going to die. They said it was because there was too much snow on the roof of the venue. There wasn’t any.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
They said it was because there was too much snow on the roof of the venue. There wasn’t any.

That sounds like code for something  :lol

I pretty much mirror what you and Jay said re their albums.    Girls , Girls , Girls has a couple of my faves in Wildside and All In The Name Of...... but yeah - like much of their stuff , lotsa filla.

I also agree with the many comments about SOLA - good title track and then  ::)

The Corabi album seems to be extremely well regarded but the couple of times i tried it , I didn't "get it."
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I didn't try it because I "get it".

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I didn't try it because I "get it".

:rollin :rollin

As Brent eludes to, I gotta think snow on the roof was more like blow up Nikki’s nose.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Shit, look at all this Crue talk.  Looks like I have to check out an album now haha.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
So I was born long after their heyday and I generally don't give a crap about most Crue songs I've heard, but I watched The Dirt the other day and thought it was cute and funny, and the actors were great. I knew most of their bio facts but watching it all play out on screen was shocking at times. Had to laugh at how clean and choreographed the ~rock show~ scenes looked; I don't doubt they had a lot of model-gorgeous people on their shows being in LA and all but most of the extras don't look or act like the people who attended any of the shows I've seen  ::) but that's how movies are made I guess.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline max_security

Tonight , Live , in New York City , THIS IS TALAS !!!...

https://youtu.be/dPXfRuR-8tY

34:04 on that link if it's not qued.

My hero Billy Sheehan on Bass . He played some wild stuff back then , he used an Eventide H9  with Pierce pre-amps and racks full of gear. He has always made stuff way more complicated than it needed to be , in the name of creativity and entertainment. One of the GREATS for sure !!!

Offline max_security

I'm going to try and stay in this thread , I get flustered if I go " out there ".

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lowdz

Bruce Kulick has just posted to Facebook that his brother Bob has passed away. Great player. Sad news.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Bruce Kulick has just posted to Facebook that his brother Bob has passed away. Great player. Sad news.

Oh wow.  Loved his work on the Crimson Idol.  RIP.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sad news

Offline Lowdz

Anyone played the new Vandenberg album? Really enjoyed it on first listen today. Good old school stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone played the new Vandenberg album? Really enjoyed it on first listen today. Good old school stuff.

This is the first I’ve heard of a new Vandenberg. Just played the track Shitstorm. That shit rocks  :metal, sounds a bit like Whitesnake.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
So apparently this guy is still going. Who buys this though? :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So apparently this guy is still going. Who buys this though? :lol

Great guitarist (often not a great writer) but everything I have heard from his latest material is about as convincing as his rug.  Sounds like he's trying to go "modern."

The YT comments are raving about it, so good for him :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah I thought that song was really bad actually.

Offline Lowdz

Saw that a couple of weeks ago. Awful.He can write some nice stuff but those stupidly fast runs all sound the same and are ever present. I do like watching his instructional stuff, he's a funny guy. The only album I really like by him is the Holland album, Little Monsters, from back in the day.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
R.I.P.  Paul Chapman.

I first heard him on Waysted's Save Your Prayers which is/was a real AOR/hard rock treasure .   I can't say I have ever listened to his UFO albums a great deal , but I am sure there are  a couple in here who rate TWTWATI very highly.  Sad news.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
R.I.P.  Paul Chapman.

I first heard him on Waysted's Save Your Prayers which is/was a real AOR/hard rock treasure .   I can't say I have ever listened to his UFO albums a great deal , but I am sure there are  a couple in here who rate TWTWATI very highly.  Sad news.

OH shit!!!!!!!!!

For some reason I knew you were posting a death. I thought Alice Cooper.

God damn...

Thoughts later.