Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907024 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone following the album thread will know that I'm giving '87 a fair shake at the moment.  How bloody good is 1987 ? :metal  :metal  In fact Kade ........if 1987 were a girl I'd bang her hard  ;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:35:46 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
If 1987 was a girl, she'd be way out of my league. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If 1987 were a chick, she probably wouldn't even look twice at me.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
If 1987 were a chick you guys would both be back on crutches!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Good to see that KISS have sold out their arena show in Melbourne (around 10,000 seats) and tix are on sale for a second show.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

1987 was my favourite year ever.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If 1987 were a chick you guys would both be back on crutches!

haha, nice.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
tons of great releases from 87; interested in seeing the list

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Tony Harnell (TNT) is the new singer for Skid Row.   
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:53:15 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Tony Harnell (TNT) is the new singer for Skid Row.   

what??

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Has Skid Row done anything for the past 20 years? Without Bach, I can't say anything they do would interest me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Has Skid Row done anything for the past 20 years? Without Bach, I can't say anything they do would interest me.

They've done a couple of albums and a couple of EP's I think.   A song or two on the recent EPs were heading in the right direction but Sollinger was never strong enough.

I'm not sure how Harnell will go - he has the range to nail the high notes where even Baz couldn't now but he doesn't really have the mongrel in his lower range to pull off stuff like Slave To The Grind.

At the very least he'll do competent versions live that have his stamp on them and perhaps we might get some inspired new material. Here's hoping .   They certainly won't be dashing any huge expectations as most of us really have none .  Good base to start from :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Ideally Bach is the only reasonable choice, but my interest in the band is now higher with Tony.

I actually dispise Solingers voice and the sound that Skid Row was making with his era

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Why would Tony bother?  Focus on the new Starbreaker instead.  Oh that's right, money.  Never was a Skid Row fan, do they even pull a crowd anymore?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Did they ever?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
We're kidding aren't we?  The Skids debut went 5* platinum in the days when that meant huge numbers and likely sold more than many of the bands we discuss here did in their whole careers.  These days I understand they're pretty solid on the European club scene but given their situation the return to Earth is understandable.    Very few bands can recover from the loss of a frontman who is so synonymous with the name.

They're still a big enough name to get on this Vegas bill and I wouldn't mind seeing that one  :tup

I don't expect that Harnell will take them to any great heights in terms of playing to huge crowds (he may well do in Norway as TNT are huge there) but I think their prospects for quality new material just jumped bigtime even though it likely won't sound like Skid Row.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not very social media literate but I gather the number of likes on a Facebook page is of some significance these days.  Interesting then that Skid Row have 5 times as many as Queensryche.   I would've expected about the same.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Slave to the Grind is one of my all time favorite albums.

I've only been a casual fan of TNT, but last night I was listening to some of their songs on YouTube. I'm not sure how good of a fit Tony will be. It's going to be quite a different sound but I'm definetely interested in checking it out.

And Slave to the Grind was the first metal album to debut at #1

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Now this just has to be good...........

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So Skid Row had a monster debut, but they owe a lot if their notoriety that year to Bon Jovi taking them everywhere, and then hooking up with Aerosmith.  Yeah, Slave may have debuted at #1 but I attribute that to first album holdover fans. These same fans obviously didn't like what they heard because as far I see it, Skid Row fell off the map at that point. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Doro a couple of weeks ago - looking and sounding pretty good at 50.  One of my fave Warlock songs

https://youtu.be/70Yk1FL1eq8?t=29

I have been a fan for close to 30 years, but I somehow never realized how tiny she is until watching that video.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I just never really gave Warlock a chance. I did see them open for Megadeth in 1988.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
So Skid Row had a monster debut, but they owe a lot if their notoriety that year to Bon Jovi taking them everywhere, and then hooking up with Aerosmith.  Yeah, Slave may have debuted at #1 but I attribute that to first album holdover fans. These same fans obviously didn't like what they heard because as far I see it, Skid Row fell off the map at that point. 

lolwut.
Skid Row fell off the map because of this little thing called grunge you may have heard of at the time that instantly rockblocked everything that came before it with the record companies.
The same story applies to all of those pre-grunge bands. And STTG was a killer album.

Offline Lowdz

I just never really gave Warlock a chance. I did see them open for Megadeth in 1988.

Me neither. Struggled with the accent tbh. I do have Force Majuere and Doro on cassette from back in the day but don't remember much about either except for the cover of Lighter Shade Of Pale. Never found her that hot either.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
There weren't too many decent female metal singers back in the day let alone hot ones but Doro and Lita were about as good as it gets for those with some talent.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

lolwut.
Skid Row fell off the map because of this little thing called grunge you may have heard of at the time that instantly rockblocked everything that came before it with the record companies.
The same story applies to all of those pre-grunge bands. And STTG was a killer album.
:lol
Yeah, I did hear something about it.
And that's actually a great point, but for me, the Skids' problems were of their own making. Kind of.
The debut was a huge crossover hit (Crossover = girls). The problem with Slave was that chicks did not dig it and metalheads would not go near it. They really had no audience at that point. You've got to remember that Slave was a huge shift from the first album and shocked a lot of people.
A lot of those fans of the first album were front runners and proved to be quite fickle.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
The album went double platinum, so clearly someone was buying it! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, but I think it was an automatic buy for mostly everyone that bought it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't know what you're basing that on. 2 million people don't instantly buy an album, and it's a damn great album.

Offline Deathless

New Armored Saint, the title track from their upcoming album - "Win Hands Down"

:metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Me neither. Struggled with the accent tbh. I do have Force Majuere and Doro on cassette from back in the day but don't remember much about either except for the cover of Lighter Shade Of Pale. Never found her that hot either.

I never found her to be overly attractive either.  But I got into the music because of the raw power of her voice.  The last Warlock album and her first two solo albums were amazing.  After that, my interest did start to wane quite a bit.  The problem is, her ballads were too samey and she did WAY too many of them, and the standout rockers were too few and far in between after her self-titled.  Love Me In Black also had some REALLY cool material, but it was a departure from her sound.  The album before that, Machine II Machine, she went more industrial with her sound.  Machine II Machine failed in that regard.  But although Love Me In Black continued the industrial metal experiment, the songwriting was lightyears ahead of Machine II Machine.  And I think her industrial cover of Barracuda on that album was really cool and original.

I don't know what you're basing that on. 2 million people don't instantly buy an album, and it's a damn great album.

Yeah, I'm not sure what TAC is basing that on either.  That album was a rounding success by just about any measure.  It had a bunch of singles that did VERY well, and their tour drew really big crowds.  It definitely wasn't a "first day and then dead" album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
TAC is basing it on his Fogey memory and opinion which might not only be skewed but might also be incorrect.  ;D

But I seriously have no memory of Slave leaving a lasting impression on anyone. Couple that with the decision to do a covers album next I'm sure confused a lot of people.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
TAC is basing it on his Fogey memory and opinion which might not only be skewed but might also be incorrect.  ;D

But I seriously have no memory of Slave leaving a lasting impression on anyone.

Yeah, you are either misremembering or it just didn't do well outside your circle of friends.  That album really blew up and did well for them. 

Couple that with the decision to do a covers album next I'm sure confused a lot of people.

???  Again, you must have strange friends.  It was just an EP of B-side covers to tide people over until the next album.  They were far from the only band to do such a thing during that era (or even now, for that matter).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I love everything from the Bach era Skid Row. Would still like to see a reunion at some point, but it looks doubtful.

In regards to female metal singers, what's the opinion of Hellion? Anne always sounds good to me.

And really liking the new Armored Saint

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Never checked out any Armored Saint, but that song was quite cool.