Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 902235 times)

Offline Lowdz

I’ve heard them all. They have been consistent but I’ve always found that every other album is a good one. Not a lot has stood out in recent albums but they haven’t been shit and all have been a bit better than solid 😀

C artesian Dreams and World Upside Down were the standouts for me.

I have a soft spot for Power And The Myth but the fan base hate it. It reunited Ken Mary and Lanny Cordova from the first album but went in a proggier, less melodic direction.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I’ve heard them all. They have been consistent but I’ve always found that every other album is a good one. Not a lot has stood out in recent albums but they haven’t been shit and all have been a bit better than solid 😀

C artesian Dreams and World Upside Down were the standouts for me.

This I agree with.  I stopped buying after Precious Metal.  They had the ARP syndrome.  It was all variations of the same thing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://youtu.be/JTgayZ3_3KY

New House of Lords. Not bad but the production isn’t great, even allowing for shitty YouTube compression

Better than the first track though.

That wouldn't be hard.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

That’s true.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That’s true.

I will at least spin it and give my thoughts.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Saw that. He’s not well. Let’s just put it like that. I should be seeing him in a professional capacity 😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
He??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

He??

Until he confirms his gender it’s he from me 😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
He sells two of these and he's having the operation!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline max_security

And Blabbermouth posts on him / her every chance they can , damn it's awkward.

So yeah changing the subject , ... ultra - heavy rhythm guitar sounds from the 1980's , what amps would you say were responsible ? I'm thinking it was Fender Strats played through bridged JCM - 800's ( 50 watt ) .

Example : Tony MacAlpine Maximum Security , it is buried in most songs but it is there. Better example is Yngwie Marching Out. There are some others that escape me right now . I have always wondered if Carvin or HiWatt amps were responsible for any of this , my only experience is with Marshall.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Max-you give up on the Riot thread??

Offline max_security

^^ man I have been too busy to give it the attention it deserves. I've been out in Bartertown / Thunderdome every day . As much as I try to keep on the normal the further away I seem to get. I have been reading it though.

Offline Lowdz

And Blabbermouth posts on him / her every chance they can , damn it's awkward.

So yeah changing the subject , ... ultra - heavy rhythm guitar sounds from the 1980's , what amps would you say were responsible ? I'm thinking it was Fender Strats played through bridged JCM - 800's ( 50 watt ) .

Example : Tony MacAlpine Maximum Security , it is buried in most songs but it is there. Better example is Yngwie Marching Out. There are some others that escape me right now . I have always wondered if Carvin or HiWatt amps were responsible for any of this , my only experience is with Marshall.

Mainly Marshall’s I would say. There’s the modded one everyone rented from SIR that gave George Lynch his sound.

The thrashers went with Mesa Boogies.

Offline max_security

Or it could be that the albums I'm thinking of were just recorded at a loud volume ( relative to the room ). It's amazing how many factors apply to recorded sound and tone.

George Lynch , his sound occupies the entire frequency range of human hearing. Live gigs could be very profitable for him , just have the rest of the band stay home and it would sound the same anyway.

Mesa , I only learned about this recently ( Metallica ). That small amp that looked like it was from the 1930's was endorsed by many players ( and priced accordingly ). I would never have guessed to use one of these to make a guitar sound like a drum.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Weren't Peavey quite big back then?  I still have a little bandit, amazing tone.

Offline Lowdz

Weren't Peavey quite big back then?  I still have a little bandit, amazing tone.

I have a Peavey Vypyr. It’s good for what it is.

Offline max_security

Peavey had some decent products for the money.

Offline Lowdz

https://youtu.be/KvoqtNeQ5uQ

The newest Portnoy project song. This is fucking awful. The vocals may well be the worst part but good god, what were they thinking?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I don’t think I lasted even a minute.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

You don't say.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
30 seconds for me

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://youtu.be/KvoqtNeQ5uQ

The newest Portnoy project song. This is fucking awful. The vocals may well be the worst part but good god, what were they thinking?

Is this a covers project?  If not it seems weird to release a cover as the lead song.  I don't know the original so I can't comment on this version, but I can comment that it was fucking terrible to listen to.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You've never heard Aerosmith's Toys In The Attic?

Yes, it seems it's a covers project. Big fucking waste of time. Why would anyone buy this?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Usually when Aerosmith comes on the boneyard, I switch to hair nation

Offline max_security

Or Liquid Metal , lol. I do the same with that exact band.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You've never heard Aerosmith's Toys In The Attic?

Yes, it seems it's a covers project. Big fucking waste of time. Why would anyone buy this?

I knew it was an Aerosmith song from the name and I may have checked that album once I think based on some recommendations here but it didn't ring a bell listening to the awful cover.  I've just never been into Aerosmith at all.  Nothing I've heard from them interests me at all.

Online Anguyen92

Or Liquid Metal , lol. I do the same with that exact band.

My go-to stations is Octane or Turbo.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Sirius is still a thing?  Do people actually pay for it?  The only time I've ever used it is with periodic free offers from the manufacturer of whatever car I'd just purchased.

Online Anguyen92

Sirius is still a thing?  Do people actually pay for it?  The only time I've ever used it is with periodic free offers from the manufacturer of whatever car I'd just purchased.

Well, I still pay for it, but I try to haggle when contacting Customer Service and threatening to cancel if I get charged $20.00 a month.  I usually get them to go down to $8.00 a month, but I have to commit for 6 months.  Fine with me.  I like Sirius XM when driving for an hour trying to get to a concert.

Still in light of this pandemic, I asked to see if my subscription can be cancelled and get any credits for the time left on my subscription back to my card.  However, they informed me that I can cancel it now, and 6 months later, it will be automatically renewed and I can renew it earlier if I like or ask them to refund the credit back to my card.  That's a decent middle ground for me.  Now if only Ticketmaster can do something like that for rescheduled shows, but they are greedy monsters and changed their TOS to only "cancelled" shows that offers refunds.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:53:06 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I’m still on the Sirius train. I pay the $13 a month but I legitimately only listen to three stations- Classic Rewind, Boneyard and Hair Nation.

I know I’m behind the eight ball on this as up until a year ago I still listened to cds in my old car. Chad, what do I need to listen to in order to be current and cool? I have no idea any more!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You're asking Chad??

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Unless you say it’s still cool to listen to cds

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's all I can do in my van (real cool :facepalm:). I have no input jack.