Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908859 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sucky.

:lol  Didn't know you made the trip over specifically to see the great man Kip.  I'm impressed Tim, sorry it didn't live up to your expectations.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If you saw what Tim was up to backstage you might interpret his comment differently Kade.

Anyway.............

It was a really good gig and he's a great guy.  Will try and get a report up with a bit of video (not of Tim) at some point soon.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If you saw what Tim was up to backstage you might interpret his comment differently Kade.

Anyway.............

It was a really good gig and he's a great guy.  Will try and get a report up with a bit of video (not of Tim) at some point soon.

:lol

Did he chat with everyone?  That would have been super cool and might have made me think about going.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah , he stayed back after and was happy to meet all the fans at no charge.   He actually took a risk coming out here as the whole MRF thing turned into a debacle and most of the bands pulled out.  He decided to come out here anyway and play for his fans , not knowing whether he would be paid in full or not.   He said he hopes he gets stuck here as he loves Australia so much  :lol  He called Reb Beach's phone during the gig which was pretty funny.........my phone is shit so I didn't get much good video but will do my best.

And the bloke I got to take a photo of me and Kip stuffed it up of course  ::)    I was going to get a nice message for Tim and/or a podcast "bumper" but I am not pushy enough and decided to let it slide.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah , he stayed back after and was happy to meet all the fans at no charge.   He actually took a risk coming out here as the whole MRF thing turned into a debacle and most of the bands pulled out.  He decided to come out here anyway and play for his fans , not knowing whether he would be paid in full or not.   He said he hopes he gets stuck here as he loves Australia so much  :lol  He called Reb Beach's phone during the gig which was pretty funny.........my phone is shit so I didn't get much good video but will do my best.

And the bloke I got to take a photo of me and Kip stuffed it up of course  ::)    I was going to get a nice message for Tim and/or a podcast "bumper" but I am not pushy enough and decided to let it slide.

That's awesome mate.  I wish I went now.  Does sound like a real good bloke.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

That's awesome mate.  I wish I went now.  Does sound like a real good bloke.

Ditto.  Glad you got to take the festival in.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

He does always seem to be a class act.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Just stumbled upon The Unity.  Surely Brent or Kade knows of them or has mentioned them?  Damn this 2020 release is a nice album (Pride).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just stumbled upon The Unity.  Surely Brent or Kade knows of them or has mentioned them?  Damn this 2020 release is a nice album (Pride).

Yeah - we chatted about the debut some while back in here.........some of the guys from Gamma Ray if memory serves correct.  I have a feeling Kade wasn't a fan but I thought it was a decent album.  I haven't listened to the new one as yet but have it on my list of 1000 albums to get to :) .
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:50:43 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Henjo was one of my fav players when I was obsessed with GR back in the day but I thought that debut was pretty crap.  Might give the new one a go.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah - we chatted about the debut some while back in here.........some of the guys from Gamma Ray if memory serves correct.  I have a feeling Kade wasn't a fan but I thought it was a decent album.  I haven't listened to the new one as yet but have it on my list of 1000 albums to get to :) .

Good memory.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Picked up the Black Swan on a whim and I'm glad I did.  Fucking excellent release.  Even the old school classic rock style songs I really like.  Don't know much on Robin but killer vocals and Reb is stellar as usual.  Only listened once but look forward to spinning again.  There's some great songwriting on here.  Great sound too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Picked up the Black Swan on a whim and I'm glad I did.  Fucking excellent release.  Even the old school classic rock style songs I really like.  Don't know much on Robin but killer vocals and Reb is stellar as usual.  Only listened once but look forward to spinning again.  There's some great songwriting on here.  Great sound too.

He sounds great on this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I typed Unity Pride into Google and didn't get what I was expecting  :biggrin:

I agree about McCauley's vocals on Black Swan..........pretty impressive.  I thought there was maybe 4-5 excellent tracks , another 5 good and maybe one dud .  So a strong album overall.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Being very time poor these days , I don't get as much of a chance to share rare discoveries but if you feel like chilling out to some melodic guitar playing , have a listen to this single from 2019 which would likely make a 2019 faves podcast if there was one :)

https://andreykorolev.bandcamp.com/track/satori

Not a fan of all his stuff but the title track off this album is pretty nice too

https://andreykorolev.bandcamp.com/album/under-the-same-sun

FWIW I really didn't find much to rave about on Archon Angel..............doubt I will return to it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:26:58 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Being very time poor these days , I don't get as much of a chance to share rare discoveries but if you feel like chilling out to some melodic guitar playing , have a listen to this single from 2019 which would likely make a 2019 faves podcast if there was one :)

https://andreykorolev.bandcamp.com/track/satori

Not a fan of all his stuff but the title track off this album is pretty nice too

https://andreykorolev.bandcamp.com/album/under-the-same-sun

FWIW I really didn't find much to rave about on Archon Angel..............doubt I will return to it.

That’s really nice. I threw him a dollar!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I agree about McCauley's vocals on Black Swan..........pretty impressive.  I thought there was maybe 4-5 excellent tracks , another 5 good and maybe one dud .  So a strong album overall.

For a Frontiers release of one of these thrown together bands, they pretty much nailed this one, for once.

Offline Lowdz

For a Frontiers release of one of these thrown together bands, they pretty much nailed this one, for once.

They wrote the tracks didn’t they? They aren’t the usual shite from the Del Veccio notepad.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Don’t go and ruin The Unity for me, Kade!  Couple of clunkers on the debut, but overall, I’m digging it. Maybe because I don’t know much Gamma Ray, and not comparing his to any expectations of/from Henjo??  Whatever the reason, this is scratchin me where I itch.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
True.  Reb, Jeff and Robin wrote all the songs.  This album shows how much involvement Reb has in Winger.  So much on here sounds like later day Winger.  Johnny Came Marching is more Winger than Winger.

In the booklet too I found it strange that 3 of the members have their thank you notes but with Reb it just has the equipment he uses.  Really strange.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Don’t go and ruin The Unity for me, Kade!  Couple of clunkers on the debut, but overall, I’m digging it. Maybe because I don’t know much Gamma Ray, and not comparing his to any expectations of/from Henjo??  Whatever the reason, this is scratchin me where I itch.

Maybe I will revisit the debut and check the new one.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

I have their debut, saw them live opening for Edguy a few years ago. Nice album. Actually considered using them in your next roulette, whenever that is.

I'll check out their new one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Someone posted this today in a local Facebook group.   It's very rare to see any photos of the old stores in Melbourne from the 80s that I used to hang around in , but this brought back plenty of memories. This is even a little before my time but same store I went to many , many times and walked out with a big bag full of albums.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow, that place looks awesome! I would've definitely been hanging out there! Love the box of tapes on the counter on the right. Demos? Bootlegs?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Is this store all rock/metal or is this just the rock/metal section?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, that place looks awesome! I would've definitely been hanging out there! Love the box of tapes on the counter on the right. Demos? Bootlegs?

Not sure about those tapes..........looks like tapes were only just getting going. Might have just been blanks.

Is this store all rock/metal or is this just the rock/metal section?

It was the first location of a store called Metal For Melbourne.................all rock and metal.   It was a 5 Woo!  rated store.   :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lowdz

True.  Reb, Jeff and Robin wrote all the songs.  This album shows how much involvement Reb has in Winger.  So much on here sounds like later day Winger.  Johnny Came Marching is more Winger than Winger.

In the booklet too I found it strange that 3 of the members have their thank you notes but with Reb it just has the equipment he uses.  Really strange.

There are some very Winger like riffs on here, definitely.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad, you are taking all of those Ham n Eggers in the roulettemania to school with your promos and wrestling knowledge.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad, you are taking all of those Ham n Eggers in the roulettemania to school with your promos and wrestling knowledge.

Ham and eggers?!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Ham and eggers?!

I sincerely apologize Kade. But if you were in that roulette you would also be a Ham n Egger because you don’t know what a Ham n Egger is.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
If this is between J Boy and JJ, it sounds more like Canadian bacon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Ham and eggers?!

I sincerely apologize Kade. But if you were in that roulette you would also be a Ham n Egger because you don’t know what a Ham n Egger is.

Er.......

I just had bacon and eggs for breakfast like half an hour ago, does that count?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I just goggled it......Jason you monster!  And I thought we were friends.  :lol