Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908924 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
How many kicks in the air did DLR do?

Prolly 6 or 7.  I joked to my buddy I was there with that they should rename "Jump", to "Kick".

Canadian or not, that’s too much money. What a fucking cash grab.

Yup.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
How many kicks in the air did DLR do?

Prolly 6 or 7.  I joked to my buddy I was there with that they should rename "Jump", to "Kick".

Canadian or not, that’s too much money. What a fucking cash grab.

Yup.

I would've spent the same amount or even more, don't feel bad about the cash.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
But they've clearly jumped the shark.  Stanley spent as much time talking as he did singing, and there were individual drum, bass, and guitar solos.  From three guys that would never be considered Tier-1 instrumentalists, it was somewhat comical. 

The show wasn't exactly worth the $210 CAD that the ticket cost me.  But, the first (and last) time I saw them, so I least I can tick that box now.

Did you really expect a better musical performance though? I was thoroughly surprised how entertaining the solos were, not because of technicality but because of the spectacle of all of them, just like the entire show really. Also at ~160 us dollars, that's not a terrible price for Kiss and DLR, but still 40 more than what ipaid at MSG. I'm not sure I'd pay that much unless like you said, that was my one and only time. They are coming back to NJ and my friend wants me to go but I dont have the desire. Only two songs changed, at this point I want to save my money and see them in 2021 at MSG for their "final" show

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
If not you can catch them on the Kiss reunion tour in 2022

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Lol yup

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I know Paul and Gene have kind of implied in the past that Kiss can continue without them.  Not sure what that means or it's possible that four new members take over.  But I can kind of see that happening because Gene will be getting huge commission while 4 other guys do all the work.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think at that point, it'll be an officially sanctioned Beatlemania type thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I not only can totally see that, I kind of expect it.  I don't expect to have any interest in such a thing. 

Offline Lowdz

There are plenty of KISS tribute bands I’m not rushing out to see. This would be no exception

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Almost done running through this:

I like this. Not sure the choruses are that great, but Robin sounds amazing as does the entire band. This style is limiting, but damn, this band (musicians) rocks the hell out of it. They have really good chemistry.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I need to get to that -  I guess the chemistry side of things vs most projects isn't a  huge surprise as Reb and Jeff (the main writers presumably) were writing/touring together in Dokken for a while.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's pretty solid. ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I just had a quick run through of this..

So, I'm not saying Zak Stevens can't sing or anything, but his voice is boring as hell. He's like a cleaner Jeff Scott Soto at this point. And musically, this is so fucking boring.

Comparing this with the Black Swan is no contest to me. This has no balls musically, and while Robin McAuley is technically probably half the singer Zak Stevens is, he has way more character than the very vanilla Stevens.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I found that with Circle II Circle, most of the songs pretty much blended in and sounded the same.  It was all good stuff, but honestly I found it difficult to distinguish which song was which from all the albums.  That could be due to Zak, not sure.  He is an excellent singer though and I'll always put Edge of Thorns as one of the best Savatage songs ever.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
JJ, that's kind of my Savatage conundrum. Musically early Savatage is actually interesting, but I can't listen to Jon Oliva fucking garble his way through the songs. And later Savatage, while certainly sung better, is simply not as interesting musically.

Offline Lowdz

New Khymera track. Quite good.

https://open.spotify.com/track/2xjQlcLn8VRHGzvMDpRR5x?si=z4t0mHzeTuCU1Wyvv8jM9g

Played the a Black Swan this morning and thought it was good. Great to hear more of Reb Beach. McCauley sounds excellent.

Offline cfmoran13

JJ, that's kind of my Savatage conundrum. Musically early Savatage is actually interesting, but I can't listen to Jon Oliva fucking garble his way through the songs. And later Savatage, while certainly sung better, is simply not as interesting musically.
To me, Streets is my favorite Oliva-era Savatage.  It has a good mix of heavy and clean singing.  Dead Winter Dead might be my favorite post-Oliva (mostly) era.  The songs have diversity and the occasional Oliva vocal is a welcome change of pace.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
German band Stallion have never really grabbed me - they've been a cartoonish blend of glam and classic metal.  They've dialled down the glam a bit ,aside from the odd headband/bandana , and gone a bit more towards the classic metal image and I am actually liking this as a bit of fun 80's style metal.   The singer has a bit of the Wildside sound to him (which I like) .........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdlbPvcO5s0
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of Stallion before but that was awesome  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Are they as good as Wyld Stallions?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of Stallion before but that was awesome  :metal :metal :metal :metal

You were actually who I thought of first when I saw this vid  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Apparently Stallion is German for Steel Panther.

That was awful. :lol

I loved the part after the solo where it speeds up. Loved the ending.

I'm really conflicted on this. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

:metal

I'll give it a click when I'm not at work.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So I just had a quick run through of this..

So, I'm not saying Zak Stevens can't sing or anything, but his voice is boring as hell. He's like a cleaner Jeff Scott Soto at this point. And musically, this is so fucking boring.

Comparing this with the Black Swan is no contest to me. This has no balls musically, and while Robin McAuley is technically probably half the singer Zak Stevens is, he has way more character than the very vanilla Stevens.

I think Zak is an acquired taste.  Big fan of his and C2C so I'm looking forward to this one.  I'll try and get around to it at some stage.

Offline Lowdz

I thought it was alright.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought it was alright.

I enjoyed the two songs released so don't see me hating it personally.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

:metal

I'll give it a click when I'm not at work.

I think it’s awesome, Brent likes it, Tim thinks it’s awful.....what do you think 😆

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I said I was conflicted! ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I liked the Stallion track plenty. There is no conflict.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I liked the Stallion track plenty. There is no conflict.

Definitely

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just found this Ozzy footage on youtube. Phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZp5lxp_4Q

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Just found this Ozzy footage on youtube. Phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZp5lxp_4Q

The 1982 iPhone is truly the shits. But 80s Ozzy is spectacular and this is actually the first time I’ve seen video footage of Randy.....he is a guitar beast  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
German band Stallion have never really grabbed me - they've been a cartoonish blend of glam and classic metal.  They've dialled down the glam a bit ,aside from the odd headband/bandana , and gone a bit more towards the classic metal image and I am actually liking this as a bit of fun 80's style metal.   The singer has a bit of the Wildside sound to him (which I like) .........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdlbPvcO5s0

Hmmm....I thought the first part was pretty crap.  The solo then was excellent and made me continue with it.  The fast part was excellent and the harmonies at the end were quite incredible.  Such a wave of emotions.  I'll come back to that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You sound.... conflicted.