Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896947 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
In Canada, I believe there is a 30% Canadian content quota on radio. It might not be that exact number but it’s close. Maybe Chad can confirm this for me. So basically every hour on Canadian rock radio you can expect to hear Rush, Hip, Loverboy, Triumph.

Present rule is 60% annually; 50% daily.  And "Canadian Content" can be more than just the artist/band - it can be the writer, producers etc... so for all the stuff that Bryan Adams has ever written for anyone, well that qualifies.

And to be more clear for Tim, it's The Tragically Hip.  We Canadians simply know them as 'The Hip'.

It's gonna be all Rush for me for a few days - albums, concerts, interviews... anything.  This one is tough to take... harder than when Gord Downie passed (lead singer and writer for The Hip) a couple of years ago.  Ironically, from a brain tumour.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I too never heard Rush on the radio and I think Rush is one of those bands that are big in North America, but not so big in the rest of the world. When I was young, no one that I knew had a Rush record, although we were all over rock and prog and metal. We knew the name but didn't know the music. And I'm not sure if they toured Germany or Europe in the last 30 years.

That said it's still sad to hear of Peart's passing. Tremendous drummer and a definite loss to music in general.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 12:23:57 PM by Kwyjibo »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Anguyen92

They've toured Europe a few times when they were doing their "An Evening With" format.  I think they were in Europe for R30, Snakes and Arrows, Time Machine, and Clockwork Angels.  Those were not big runs in Europe that I know of though.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 02:29:23 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
R30 was filmed in Frankfurt
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Permanent Waves getting a spin from me right now.  Gonna make my way back I think.  As I mentioned I've never been a big early years Rush fan, but Permanent Waves always was the pick of the bunch for me.  Let's see if that changes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Permanent Waves getting a spin from me right now.  Gonna make my way back I think.  As I mentioned I've never been a big early years Rush fan, but Permanent Waves always was the pick of the bunch for me.  Let's see if that changes.

If you are relistening I’m confident A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres will click for you this time around. If 2112 hasn’t before, I’m sure that will too  :metal

Offline Lowdz

I too never heard Rush on the radio and I think Rush is one of those bands that are big in North America, but not so big in the rest of the world. When I was young, no one that I knew had a Rush record, although we were all over rock and prog and metal. We knew the name but didn't know the music. And I'm not sure if they toured Germany or Europe in the last 30 years.

That said it's still sad to hear of Peart's passing. Tremendous drummer and a definite loss to music in general.

They toured the UK. I saw them on R30 and refused to pay the prices on the farewell tour.

Offline Lowdz

Brent, I think 2112, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves, even A Farewell To Kings don't really have a lot in common with "70's music".

These are some of my favorite albums.

I basically became aware of Rush by hearing Tom Sawyer and Limelight on the radio.

Rush were my favourite band until Queensryche came along, then DT.
A Farewell To Kings was my first Rush album and still my favourite. But Fly By Night to Counterparts was pretty flawless to me, bar the odd song here and there.
I never liked the first side of Hemispheres- it didn’t do justice to the awesomeness of Cygnus X1.
I turned away from the next three - they were fucking awful. Clockwork Angels was much better.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Not sure how long it will last but on Sirius XM channel 27...........its now a Rush channel  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

If you are relistening I’m confident A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres will click for you this time around. If 2112 hasn’t before, I’m sure that will too  :metal

Permanent Waves was as good as I remembered.  See how these two go.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
In addition to a bunch of Aussie bands and others I haven't heard of ,  I see Queen and Alice Cooper have both donated their time (and stage) to a benefit concert in February to help Australians recover from the fires.  Good on 'em  :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I believe I read Metallica donated some money as well

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Alice Cooper is the best!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
In addition to a bunch of Aussie bands and others I haven't heard of ,  I see Queen and Alice Cooper have both donated their time (and stage) to a benefit concert in February to help Australians recover from the fires.  Good on 'em  :tup

Yeah that's massive.  Saw some images on the news last night with the devastation the wildlife are facing.   The image of a fully burnt crying koala almost brought me to tears and I can't get it out of my head.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I believe I read Metallica donated some money as well

750K.

I was kind of wishing big bands like Maiden and Priest and the likes would have done something too.

Offline Lowdz

I saw a picture of a firefighter stood on the road, staring at the flames with a koala sat next to him. Harrowing. If only I could send you some of this rain we have here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I fear what the next few bring for us.  It's not going to get better.

Offline Lowdz

Played the new Magnum today and enjoyed it. Bob sounds great.

Played the Sons of Apollo too. A bit meh,and very samey.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I liked that new Magnum track.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I've never listened to Magnum actually.  However, in my Avantasia video when he is singing, you can faintly hear me talking to myself saying "he sounds good" and he really did and does. Got a comment from someone also timestamping him sounding amazing in my video.  For such an older guy, he really can sing. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I've never listened to Magnum actually.  However, in my Avantasia video when he is singing, you can faintly hear me talking to myself saying "he sounds good" and he really did and does. Got a comment from someone also timestamping him sounding amazing in my video.  For such an older guy, he really can sing.

Wonderful voice.

Online Kwyjibo

Same for me, Magnum wasn't great, but enjoyable and miles better than SOA. Both sound generic for their genre, but Magnum have a 40 year career as a band behind them and Clarkin and Catley are in their 70s. They are allowed to not come up with something new for every record.  ;)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Spun Wolfpakk tune just now (with Mike Bormann on the mic).

Shite-fest.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Another song from the new Zak Stevens project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss-G41ets8w

This is shaping up quite nicely.

That's Simone Mularoni on the solo here too, no doubt. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Great tune  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I'd call that 2/2 at the moment.  Looking forward to it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

It's not bad. I checked the first song, Fallen, and I like the vocal on that one a lot more.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah I think the first one was probably better too.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
WTF is going on with Aerosmith with them at odds with Joey and not allowing him into rehearsals?  this is totally nuts
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
WTF is going on with Aerosmith with them at odds with Joey and not allowing him into rehearsals?  this is totally nuts

My guess is its about cold hard cash. Joey couldn't play for whatever reason, and sat out (I've heard everything from injury to drug abuse). They replaced him. I'm sure in their band agreement, there's some stipulation about members leaving for whatever reason, and Aerosmith is likely going to cite that as a reason to cut ties, which in the end, nets them one less principal in the band, and more money for the remainder of them (think Black Sabbath). Whereas Joey, is trying to show that his absence, while for cause, is now not of his own fault, and he's being kept from working when he can work.

It all likely comes down to the almighty dollar.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think it may be more than just money although I have no doubt that plays a role and probably a big one.

When I saw Aerosmith in September during the Vegas residency, before the show I was chatting with a security guard.  My ticket was for on the stage general admission (which was an AMAZING experience, one of my favorite concerts ever I think) so I wanted to ask this guy about what to expect and where maybe the best position to stand in case the band members come over (which they did throughout the night).  This guy then just started going on about Aerosmith and other things but he did tell me that it was always up in the air if Joey would show up for the show every night.  They had a guy on standby to fill in at all times because Joey was unreliable (he didn't give reasons why).  Also said the band members all hate each other, none of them get along and they all came in/out of the venue seperately and stayed at different hotels so they never interacted besides being on stage for 90 minutes.

He then also told me that strippers would be arriving in 5 minutes... which he was spot on about so I kind of believe him.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It's likely the almighty dollar.

It could also be a personal issue within the band and Joey is out of the band for spite.  Spite can be quite powerful.

If the reason is solely based on the band's opinion that Joey can't play up to standard, then I'm totally on Joey's side.  I'm not a big Aerosmith fan at all, but I'm pretty sure every member of the band isn't quite as good as they used to be.  I'm sure Joey can play well enough to have a passable performance every night; especially the Vegas shows.  I'm a big supporter of loyalty, and this wouldn't be loyalty.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I think it may be more than just money although I have no doubt that plays a role and probably a big one.

When I saw Aerosmith in September during the Vegas residency, before the show I was chatting with a security guard.  My ticket was for on the stage general admission (which was an AMAZING experience, one of my favorite concerts ever I think) so I wanted to ask this guy about what to expect and where maybe the best position to stand in case the band members come over (which they did throughout the night).  This guy then just started going on about Aerosmith and other things but he did tell me that it was always up in the air if Joey would show up for the show every night.  They had a guy on standby to fill in at all times because Joey was unreliable (he didn't give reasons why).  Also said the band members all hate each other, none of them get along and they all came in/out of the venue seperately and stayed at different hotels so they never interacted besides being on stage for 90 minutes.

He then also told me that strippers would be arriving in 5 minutes... which he was spot on about so I kind of believe him.

I LOVE these stories, Cram.  Thanks!

I posted this in a thread, not knowing there was a conversation here.  This seems staged to the max:
https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/22/aerosmith-drummer-joey-kramer-denied-judge-grammy-performance-lawsuit/

Online Kwyjibo

I'm a big Aerosmith fan, one of the best live acts I've seen, and therefore it sucks to read about all this drama, but then it isn't really news that they don't get along with each other.

Maybe it's time for them to finally retire. Their last tour in Germany was already billed as the farewell tour.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New video from Black Swan (McCauley/Beech/Pilson)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNGOVHOHbGw

You know what....I'm fucking digging it! :metal
Reb is ripping it up, and Robin sounds fantastic.

Robin looks like he should be on the next episode of Plastic Surgery Gone Wrong.