Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908843 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I was about to ask why that guy was grabbing his nuts but you answered the question. I believe Dokken opened for Priest on this tour. How was the show? I’ve watched Priest Live and it was a great video

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yes, Dokken did open.

I have posted this before too. Don Dokken was standing very close to us during Priest's set.

So obviously this was my first time seeing Priest. I thought they were great. I wasn't a fan of Turbo at the time, but I knew I wanted to see them. I did skip the Ram It Down tour though.

Dokken was a great live band. I always thought their albums didn't have enough depth, and live, the songs just seemed better. Jeff Pilson was always great on stage. I always thought Don Dokken was a douche. I saw them in 86 (opening for JP), 87 (opening for Aerosmith), and 88 (MOR tour). His stage banter blew.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hey, I roamed those parking lots back in the day. Such a great time.

I’m willing to bet $50,000 right now that no 1986 Camaro was blasting growlie shit while you roamed the parking lots looking for ladies in acid wash jeans lol

Jason, I've posted this pic before, but this was me in 1986.

Iron Maiden bumper sticker
Black AND red laces on my Nike high tops
Pooka bead necklace. :lol
Kind of mullet. :lol :lol

Are you sure it wasn't 1985?  Where's Doc?  Was he taking the picture?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 02:36:17 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I figured I'd put this here instead of the album thread.

Just ran through:

Eddie Clarke is really good on this. He has some great solos. I love how this is tracked, where you can clearly hear Eddie and Lemmy, and how they intertwine with each other. This album is really easy on the ears. Love it. Good stuff!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Just ran through:

Eddie Clarke is really good on this. He has some great solos. I love how this is tracked, where you can clearly hear Eddie and Lemmy, and how they intertwine with each other. This album is really easy on the ears. Love it. Good stuff!

We can make this the next album for our hard rock classic album discussion.  I was always a very casual Motorhead fan and have a few of their albums.  Don't think I have this one, but will add it to the long list to listen to.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim, what would you rank as the top three Motörhead albums?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Just ran through:

We can make this the next album for our hard rock classic album discussion.  I was always a very casual Motorhead fan and have a few of their albums.  Don't think I have this one, but will add it to the long list to listen to.

Ha.  Went through my collection and I have a 2cd deluxe edition!  This can go in the car tomorrow.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I can't say I've ever listened to a Motörhead album. Guess this is where I'm starting.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

I used to like Motorhead but apart from Killed By Death I haven’t heard anything after Iron Fist. I outgrew Lemmy”s voice pretty quickly but at the time there was very little metal around.

No Sleep til Hammersmith is a classic live album though.

Ace of Spades would be my favourite studio album by them and it’s decades since I listened to Bomber.

I do have a best of on my best of memory stick but I do tend to just go for the hits. And they were hits in the UK.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've never listened to a Motorhead album either and honestly Lemmy's voice is not what I like to listen to at all.  It's really prevented me from ever trying more than a few singles.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The only Motörhead albums I’ve bought are Ace of Spades, No Sleep til Hammersmith, Motorizer and a couple of best ofs. I will say that whenever Ace of Spades comes on, that’s an immediate crank the volume up.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tim, what would you rank as the top three Motörhead albums?

I do think it's fair to say Ace Of Spades is the best of the Classic Lemmy/Eddie/Philthy Era.

My Go To Motorhead album is Orgasmatron. I also really like Another Perfect Day, the album with Brian Robertson. There's a great King Biscuit CD from that lineup.

I really like Rock N Roll, Aftershock, and their final album, Bad Magic.

That last album is really good. Similar to how Heart Attack quite prophetically ends Thin Lizzy's Thunder & Lightning, the final song on Bad Magic is When The sky Comes Looking For You...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjEhBa-QZhM
It made my Top 31 of the Last Decade.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just put Bomber into the cd this morning.

I really can only pinpoint a few albums.  From what I own, Inferno was cool from what I remember and 1916 was good.  We Are Motorhead is decent too.  One More Fucking Time is a great song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Great Woods
Mansfield, Ma
August 14, 1991

(1916 tour)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Had a listen to Bomber and it was cool.  Nothing that blows me away but never been a massive Motorhead fan.  It's fun and refreshing blasting something like this in the car which I never do.  Organic sound, just 3 guys playing some rock.  Yeah, Eddie has some nice blues rock solos going on and track 8 I think that has the long opening solo is very cool.

One thing I did like was the subtle key changes in the songs.  They work in really well and keep things pretty fresh.  Stone Dead Forver is of course classic but forgot how much of a cracker this was.  Poisin I think it must be called also was a ripper.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Had a listen to Bomber and it was cool.  Nothing that blows me away but never been a massive Motorhead fan.  It's fun and refreshing blasting something like this in the car which I never do.  Organic sound, just 3 guys playing some rock.  Yeah, Eddie has some nice blues rock solos going on and track 8 I think that has the long opening solo is very cool.

One thing I did like was the subtle key changes in the songs.  They work in really well and keep things pretty fresh.  Stone Dead Forver is of course classic but forgot how much of a cracker this was.  Poisin I think it must be called also was a ripper.

Exactly.

I mean you pretty much know what every Motorhead album is. But to me, whenever I feel like I need to hit the "reset button", I usually reach for some Motorhead. It's kind of a Metal soul cleansing. Like getting an oil change. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Exactly.

I mean you pretty much know what every Motorhead album is. But to me, whenever I feel like I need to hit the "reset button", I usually reach for some Motorhead. It's kind of a Metal soul cleansing. Like getting an oil change. :lol

Jason likes this comment.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Moving Pictures just went in as I reached my final work destination for the day.  This will be the soundtrack for my ride home

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Red Barchetta is my #1 Rush tune.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I just never got the hype for this song.  I see it ranked so high for people but I'm clearly missing something.  We'll see.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I just never got the hype for this song.  I see it ranked so high for people but I'm clearly missing something.  We'll see.

Honestly it has a personal meaning for me. This came out when I was like 12, and my grandfather passed away around this time. I was close with him, and when Geddy sings about his "uncle's place", it reminds me of my relationship with my grandfather. I love the imagery of the "goes screaming through the valley" line. It's just about a time of innocence with someone you love and a time you miss.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Honestly it has a personal meaning for me. This came out when I was like 12, and my grandfather passed away around this time. I was close with him, and when Geddy sings about his "uncle's place", it reminds me of my relationship with my grandfather. I love the imagery of the "goes screaming through the valley" line. It's just about a time of innocence with someone you love and a time you miss.

Nice.  It's great when songs have such nostalgia and such a sentimental meaning.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have never managed to get into Rush or Motorhead , although Killed By Death has to be contender for best song title of all time  :lol

I had a listen to Red Barchetta and yeah...........I can find some things to like about the music but I have always struggled with Geddy's vocals and the lyrics seem very "random" if that's the word - they may tell a story but seem to have very little rhythmic structure.    That's actually one thing I always struggled with on SFAM - compared to I&W where I felt the lyrics were mostly a perfect fit for the music , I felt that for SFAM they had a bunch of story-lyrics that needed to be used whether they fit the music or not.

Anyway.............I realise I am the odd one out with Rush (and SFAM) around here.  I had a few submissions in my roulette that I didn't mind but I'd had enough of Red Barchetta half way through. 

I will take a quick listen to some songs off Bomber soon and see if they grab me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I'm only a casual Motorhead fan, I have Ace Of Spades of course and I know a couple of other songs, but I always felt that that was all the Motorhead I needed. Maybe I will give those others mentioned here a spin.

Same goes for Rush, a couple of tunes are good, but I haven't (yet) heard the greatness everyone is talking about.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So I am not the only one  :hifive:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, Moving Pictures was actually a lot better running the whole way through.  I still am totally missing the love for RB.  I think that song being at number 2 always just didn't sit well with me in regards to the album and it's flow and I think caused my somewhat underwhelmed opinion.  I just don't find the song memeroable at all and there's not much in there I can say I really enjoy. 

TS and Limelight are fucking brilliant.  Just amazing songs, really.  Camera was cool but didn't hold my attention but I think if I gave it more attention it would be a grower.  YYZ is a wonderful instrumental piece.  Witch Hunt is very nice and something different and I loved Vital Signs.  That's one song I never gave any attention too but it's a wonderful song.

Based on its strengths, it's a top album.  It just feels so short, with 7 songs it feels there should be one more longer type tune.  I really want to get the fuss over RB, but I can't at this stage. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Stumbled upon this tonight.

The epitome of classic hard rock and heavy metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcx3OjNMlu4

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
I had no idea this song existed.

https://youtu.be/4ZrF76MuF0w

the bass and drum work...just...crazy.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't get it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Every thread I have posted in today has Tim saying he doesn't understand anything.

I think he is right.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

What do you mean?

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hey Tim, in case you didn't snag a ticket for the stadium tour at sold out fenway park, they just added a second date there  :lol