Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908677 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This will be the first ever full length KISS albim.I have ever listened to.

Get out of town!

I like Lick It Up well enough. This album was huge for them.

Exciter is a full on metal song, and On The Eighth Day is one of my all time favorite Gene songs.

I kid you not.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Boys, this is really quite solid. Just had a really enjoyable listen. Great classic style.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I’ve listened to a lot of the NWOBHM bands and besides the main ones, Tygers of Pan Tang stood out as one of the most talented. I think they changed their sound in the mid 80s but I don’t know tons about them, but I’ve liked everything I’ve heard.

My wild guess why they didn’t have more success would be the name of the band, which I think is pretty weak.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just about to listen to Lick it Up.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have never liked KISS, but.......I've never checked them out, so how can I say that? 

Because they are popular and mainsteam? 
Because Gene Simmons is an absolute flog?
Because I've never rated them as proper musicians?
Because of Paul's forever exposed fur jumper?
Because I've never liked their hits?

Probably all of the above.  I guess their hits I don't really rate so I've never checked out a full album.  This has only really dawned on me however with Jason bringing this one up, and this new format we're looking at is the perfect opportunity to check them out.

2 songs in and the opener is a ripper!  Great classic metal tune.  I've never really cared for Paul's voice but I don't dislike it, but I like how he pushes his range here.  That sounds cool.  Dunno anything about Vinnie but seems solid enough.  Great opener.

Not for the Innocent was a great follow up.  Almost a Y&T feel for me and a really nice hard rock tune.  Is this Paul and Gene singing this one.  I never really cared for Gene's voice though.

Which came first I wonder, the title track or Hot Blooded?  This is the type of 80's rock style that I don't care for.  It's these sorts of songs that I think shys me away from more of the classic hard rock bands of the 70's/80's.  Nothing wrong with it, but meh.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 03:12:24 AM by wolfking »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Young and Dangerous, wait is that Gene singing?  Maybe I was wrong, great tune and really cool vox.

Gimme More sounds like a Van Halen/DLR song.  Some nice leads on this.  Vinnie seems like a solid rock guitarist.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
All Hell's Breaking Loose.  Nah.

A Million to One.  This is a great hard rock song.  Lots to like about this one.

Fits Like A Glove.  Gene's vocals are actually winning me over.  Gave me a Footloose vibe at the start, but by the end, I thought this was a fucking cool song.  Vinnie puts forward a nice lead with some great note selections towards the end of his solo.  I love that chorus riff, with that root/b5 disonnance type chord.  Really cool.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Last two songs were just.....solid.

All in all I was pretty impressed.  Some really cool shit going on with this album.  Am I going to rush out and buy all their albums?  no.  But a very cool album indeed.  Is this the heaviest KISS has ever gone?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The album before Lick it Up is their heaviest and best album IMO. Creatures of the Night. The title track and War Machine are major kick ass. Actually the whole album is. I would imagine they took it to the next level for heaviness due to the backlash of the Elder and Unmasked albums which I’ve only thought were decent.  But the Creatures of the Night album is where it’s at  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The album before Lick it Up is their heaviest and best album IMO. Creatures of the Night. The title track and War Machine are major kick ass. Actually the whole album is. I would imagine they took it to the next level for heaviness due to the backlash of the Elder and Unmasked albums which I’ve only thought were decent.  But the Creatures of the Night album is where it’s at  :metal

I'll check it out Jason.

Offline Lowdz

We’ve made Kade  a KISS fan 😳🤘

LIU is a very good KISS album. Vinnie Vincent was a great songwriter and guitarist but just a failed human being. The first Vinnie Vincent Invasion album is awesome. So over the top.

Agree with Jason, Creatures is KiSS best album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
We’ve made Kade  a KISS fan 😳🤘

LIU is a very good KISS album. Vinnie Vincent was a great songwriter and guitarist but just a failed human being. The first Vinnie Vincent Invasion album is awesome. So over the top.

Agree with Jason, Creatures is KiSS best album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Vinnie failed as a human being?!   :lol  Man, dunno what that means but I'm intrigued.

Offline Lowdz

Just seems to have shot himself in the foot every time things were looking good. Sued KISS numerous times and lost, ripped off his fans by taking money for product he never sent. Disappeared off the face of the earth for 20 years. Oh, and kept dead dogs in his freezer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just seems to have shot himself in the foot every time things were looking good. Sued KISS numerous times and lost, ripped off his fans by taking money for product he never sent. Disappeared off the face of the earth for 20 years. Oh, and kept dead dogs in his freezer.

:o

Yeah.......okay then.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
It looks like the result if Al Bundy had a threesome with Rosanne and Golden Girl Dorothy.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Kade, make sure you at least check out the song War Machine. I believe there was even a growlie band that covered it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Kade, make sure you at least check out the song War Machine. I believe there was even a growlie band that covered it.

I'll check the whole album mate.

Offline cfmoran13

If you're looking to check out one of KISS' heavier songs (and, coincidentally, also a Vinnie collaboration), definitely check out "Unholy" from Revenge (1992).  It was released prior to the album coming out.  After the first listen, I couldn't wait for the new album.  It was also the first time a KISS song with a Gene vocal received a video since 1982 (Creatures Of The Night's "I Love It Loud").  It's a killer tune.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
If you're looking to check out one of KISS' heavier songs (and, coincidentally, also a Vinnie collaboration), definitely check out "Unholy" from Revenge (1992).  It was released prior to the album coming out.  After the first listen, I couldn't wait for the new album.  It was also the first time a KISS song with a Gene vocal received a video since 1982 (Creatures Of The Night's "I Love It Loud").  It's a killer tune.

That’s a fantastic song

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll check that one too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Total brain fart, but I somehow ended up clicking play with Destroyer this morning.  Excellent album, naturally.  I'll roll Lick It Up tomorrow.  As for Satch... that was a really nice listen.  Surfing with the Alien is all I really knew of Satch from that era, though I did pick up a compilation of his (Essential Joe Satriani) a couple years back.  He's mostly hit-and-miss. Not of This Earth was easy on the ears, and a quick listen.

Like Kade said, it was cool shit, but I'm not sure how often I'll get back to them.  Like most things JJ has exposed me to, I really wish I'd latched on to this upon release when I was younger.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not of This Earth is a really impressive debut.  I find Memories and Driving at Night 2 of my fav Satch songs, both are brilliant with a wonderful atmosphere.  Rubina is of course classic and the title track and The Snake are highlights too.  Really great album.

Offline Lowdz

Not of This Earth is a really impressive debut.  I find Memories and Driving at Night 2 of my fav Satch songs, both are brilliant with a wonderful atmosphere.  Rubina is of course classic and the title track and The Snake are highlights too.  Really great album.

Great album. I only picked it up because of the Vai connection, but thought it was amazing. Satch became a bit samey for me but I can put any of his albums on and enjoy them. I love his vocal tracks too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I hope things are starting to get better in Australia for everyone.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Rite?  That's some scary fuckin shit goin on

Offline gazinwales

Not any better I'm afraid to say.
In fact tomorrow Saturday 4th is shaping up to be the worse day yet.
My area might have to be evacuated, I am packing a few things int eh car tonight incase we have to move at short notice.

This is just one area affected in just one state (NSW)
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/on-the-tele/nsw-bushfires-holidaymakers-flee-south-coast-ahead-of-more-bushfires/live-coverage/845c5b2365dbc1106bd662277b2da039

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Not any better I'm afraid to say.
In fact tomorrow Saturday 4th is shaping up to be the worse day yet.
My area might have to be evacuated, I am packing a few things int eh car tonight incase we have to move at short notice.

This is just one area affected in just one state (NSW)
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/on-the-tele/nsw-bushfires-holidaymakers-flee-south-coast-ahead-of-more-bushfires/live-coverage/845c5b2365dbc1106bd662277b2da039

Sorry to hear, thinking about all of you :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Luckily not near me but it's fucking heartbreaking.  Just diabolical.  They say everything happens for a reason but there is absolutely no reason for this carnage and destruction.  Our beautiful country is fucked.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I predicted a few weeks back that we couldn't escape for long but even I didn't fathom what was coming.

We had bags packed and ready to leave (with 6 fire trucks camping overnight in our street) a few days back but fortunately didn't have to , although the fire near us is still burning.  Deliberately lit of course , probably kids.

The stuff down in eastern Victoria and southern NSW is just mind blowing.  A good friend of my sister lost her father a few days back and lots of tourists/holidaymakers risked it last week after being told to get out while the going was good and now we have tens of thousands stranded, thousands of houses/farms destroyed,  28 people dead/missing (in Victoria alone) and the military required to evacuate people by sea/air.  The area burned is the size of a couple of small countries and it looks like getting worse again in coming days.  Scary thing is Jan-March will be just as , if not hotter , than what we've just experienced.

Thanks for the wishes guys - it's impacting just about everyone I know in some form or another.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jesus, thoughts and prayers Brent.  Hopefully you can escape the worst of it in your area mate.  That is way too close for comfort.

But yeah, December is normally the coolest of the summer months.  The next 10 weeks could be even more catastrophic.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks mate.  One other thing I should mention is the toll on animal life is estimated at half a BILLION  :'( 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks mate.  One other thing I should mention is the toll on animal life is estimated at half a BILLION  :'(

Yesterday morning at work, had a kookaburra fly in on the outside railing and hang there for a while.  I got super close and he was friendly and chill.  I got some meat and was able to feed him by hand he was that friendly.  Was one of the coolest things and beautiful things I've ever experienced but at the same time made me almost cry thinking about the amount of these beautiful creatures plus all the others that have died from this.  Absolute hell on earth.  :'(