Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896698 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I actually got a ticket to see Queensryche, I've never been a huge fan of them but my local venue had a black friday sale, 2 for 1, so I got some for a couple concerts including theirs with John 5 opening.  Figured since I can sell the other, it's a pretty cheap ticket and probably worth checking out.  I think I paid $35 after fees so if I offload the other for under face like at $20, thats a $15 ticket to see Queensryche with John 5.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd be shocked if they sell 40k tickets to any one show. Maybe LA or NY, but that's it. Hell, I'd be shocked if they sold 30k tickets to this.

10 shows already sold out, 7 more added today  :omg:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow. That’s really amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
People of our age with money now, that didn't get to see these bands in their prime, and have more money than brains or sense.  I never did get a chance to see Crue or Leppard for that matter.  But I'm sure as shit not gonna pay the prices they're asking to see them now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
People of our age with money now, that didn't get to see these bands in their prime, and have more money than brains or sense.  I never did get a chance to see Crue or Leppard for that matter.  But I'm sure as shit not gonna pay the prices they're asking to see them now.

People with some excess funds that haven’t seen Leppard, Poison or Crüe, or haven’t seen them for a long time are like Wolfking. If Kade wants ice cream, chocolate or cake, he fucking has some. Same mentality for the concert tickets. I still say one of the biggest selling features of these shows will be the drunk women; my guess is about 500 on average a show will show off their hammers.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
I'd be shocked if they sell 40k tickets to any one show. Maybe LA or NY, but that's it. Hell, I'd be shocked if they sold 30k tickets to this.

10 shows already sold out, 7 more added today  :omg:

Good Lord. Never underestimate the power of a comeback story and marketing.

Hard pass.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

People with some excess funds that haven’t seen Leppard, Poison or Crüe, or haven’t seen them for a long time are like Wolfking. If Kade wants ice cream, chocolate or cake, he fucking has some. Same mentality for the concert tickets. I still say one of the biggest selling features of these shows will be the drunk women; my guess is about 500 on average a show will show off their hammers.

:rollin

Saying that though, that's a pretty good analogy, and what Chad said too.  As Chad said, if they have the money to splurge, it's kind of a 'why the fuck not?' kind of thing I would imagine.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

also 500 drink girls showing their goods?  I didn't even consider that in the price of the ticket. 

But seriously, the atmosphere is going to be wild, hence why I chose to go to a Saturday date.  I think the next morning is going to be rough.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I very much liked Motherland and Kingmaker.  Got sidetracked, so I likely won't get to this until tomorrow now.

So what was the verdict ?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I very much liked Motherland and Kingmaker.  Got sidetracked, so I likely won't get to this until tomorrow now.

So what was the verdict ?

Thumbs up.  Nothing that sounds terribly new from Pretty Maids, but it's been a great few listens.  I'll buy it if nothing other than being a completionist.  It's just like Vanden Plas - you know what you're gonna get, and it's still awesome.  It's like chocolate cake for dessert.  Yeah, it's the same chocolate cake, but it's still awesome.  Just a shame that it's only a 43 minute shorty.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I completely forgot for a bit there that Pretty Maids had a new album.

Offline Lowdz

It’s pretty standard Pretty Maids but that still means it’s worth it.

Love the Vanden Plas.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like I should've been following the fucking shopping cart thread :lol    Down here at the moment I don't need a shopping cart to do damage to my car -  my steering wheel just melted  :lol

As far as Pretty Maids goes the reviews I have seen have been about 80% "strong album as per usual etc......"  and 20% "yeah.......getting a bit sick of the same brickwalled sound - sounds like they're in cruise control".  I'm in the 20% camp it pains me to say.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Unbelievable start to summer mate.  Not gonna be a fun three months.  We hit 41.5 degrees on Monday which is very rare up here.

Offline Lowdz

We can only dream of temperatures like that here. Mind you, it don’t miss fires like you’ve had. And a melted steering wheel? 😱

There again, everything in Oz wants to kill you, right?

Stay safe!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah - it's rather eerie down here.  We (Victoria) are the "bushfire capital of the world" in terms of catastrophic fires/loss of life but so far it's all to the north in NSW.  In terms of sheer area that is now one of the biggest fires anywhere in the world ever but thankfully loss of life has been minimal thus far.

And here we are in 46 degrees with not much going on with the smoke from NSW hovering above.  It just feels like we are not going to be lucky much longer.  They even had fire in the QLD rainforest didn't they Kade?

Anyway........on the music side of things I have almost caught up with my sampling of 2018/2019 titles (from waaaaay  behind) and have a mega list of obscure stuff to work through.  I can't be sure I will get through it all but I will try and have some sort of list or show to share before the end of summer .  See how we go.   Ben is playing "rep cricket" across January which means 7-8 hour games over multiple days so I might have to see if I can find an old iPod and crank some music while I am watching.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 02:57:45 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
We've had fires in places that we never get fires.  Where I am backs onto bushland that is slowly getting turned in residential houses and had some fires literally a couple of km down the road.  No threat to where I was though but the smoke has constantly been an issue.

The Gold Coast Hinterland got damaged which is probably 20 minutes away from where I am and yeah that's rainforest that got damaged.  Some staff live that way and came very close to tragedy too. 

Had a contractor at work on Monday and halfway through the job got a call from his son screaming to get home as fires had started on the neighbours property and was spreading.  Damn that was awkward, poor fella was shitting bricks running out to the car.  He hasn't been back to finish the job yet.....

But yeah, just fucking crazy mate.  January and February still to come too.  In 50 years our country is as good as fucked if you ask me.  :-\

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Current course and speed, in 50 years, the planet is fucked.  There are lots of places that don't have 50 years.   :-\

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Current course and speed, in 50 years, the planet is fucked.  There are lots of places that don't have 50 years.   :-\

I agree totally mate.

Offline Lowdz

If only the scientists of the world had warned us... oh, wait 😱

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

It's like Krypton all over again.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline gazinwales

Fires are pretty close to me down the NSW South Coast.
The main one is only 9km away, it's been burning for a week now, but jumped across the road in the last 24 hours.
Thus the main road out from where I am is closed atm, but I can take a longer route to get to the highway and out of town.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The main one is only 9km away, it's been burning for a week now, but jumped across the road in the last 24 hours.
Thus the main road out from where I am is closed atm, but I can take a longer route to get to the highway and out of town.

Scary Gaz.  All the best where you are.  Watching the news tonight was frightening.  Just gets worse and worse.  Devastating.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol not bad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

So no Top 50 Update?  :neverusethis:

Just kidding. Stay safe, brother.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lowdz

It's like Krypton all over again.

😀

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The Wolfster had mentioned using this thread as a starting point for bringing up classic albums and/or old school bands that deserve some recognition or discussion. Of course I support this! :metal :metal

This was the Wolfster’s idea but I’m sure he will agree that the Official Hard Rock /Classic Metal Music and Discussion and Memorabilia Thread has no order, rules or regulations; so any time someone wants to bring up a band or classic album, let’s do it!

Brent started with this awesome thread and Wolf came up with the idea, but I’m confident they will respect me to start things off with three albums I listened today:

Rush- Moving Pictures- I really think this is bar none one of the greatest albums ever and one of the defintion albums of classic rock. The album plays like a classic rock greatest hits album and pretty much every song is a classic rock classic. I hear people complain about Vital Signs but screw that, that song is fuckin awesome. Rush is one of my favourite bands and this is my favorite Rush album, so that should tell you how awesome it is

Kiss- Lick it Up. Now while Creatures of the Night is my favorite Kiss album, I think Lick it Up is a perfect beginning to the non make up years; which is a very underrated era of Kiss. This album continues the extra heaviness of Kiss and includes one of my favourite Kiss songs; the extremely underrated “Not for the Innocent”. 80s Kiss is major kick ass.

Joe Satriani- Not of this Earth. When it comes to guitar instrumental albums, I’m sure everyone on this thread has heard Surfing with the Alien. That’s my favorite guitar album but this one is 1a); this one seems to fall under the radar but I think it’s pretty much a perfect guitar album. It definitely has an 80s vibe but that’s what makes it awesome! It goes perfectly hand in hand with Surfing with the Alien  :metal
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:44:10 PM by jjrock88 »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright 3 albums to start could work j.  I will remind myself on the Rush and Satriani tomorrow as both are classics.  Not a Kiss fan so this is a fine place for me to start.

Once the discussion dies off after a few days, someone else can post an album.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Not a big Rush or Kiss fan, but that Satriani record is really good. A little bit more experimental and a little bit less polished/worked out songs than Surfing With The Alien but a great debut nonetheless.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Count me in.  I'll have to try and find time to revisit these. in the coming days.  I don't think I need a re-listen for Moving Pictures to comment on it.  It's in my Top 10 of all time, and I've listened to countless times.  Red Barchetta is my fave - the riff coming out of the solo will ALWAYS give me goosebumps.  To this day, I still prefer the Show of Hands version of Witch Hunt over the studio.  There's just something about the electronic drums in the live version.  Seeing them do this live start to finish was the cats ass.  Before the show started, I turned around to the person beside me and said "just so you know, I'll be standing during the entirety of Moving Pictures".

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Count me in.  I'll have to try and find time to revisit these. in the coming days.  I don't think I need a re-listen for Moving Pictures to comment on it.  It's in my Top 10 of all time, and I've listened to countless times.  Red Barchetta is my fave - the riff coming out of the solo will ALWAYS give me goosebumps.  To this day, I still prefer the Show of Hands version of Witch Hunt over the studio.  There's just something about the electronic drums in the live version.  Seeing them do this live start to finish was the cats ass.  Before the show started, I turned around to the person beside me and said "just so you know, I'll be standing during the entirety of Moving Pictures".

Since Jason started us off with 3 albums, I think we'll chew on these for a week or so and give everyone a chance to spin them.

This will be the first ever full length KISS albim.I have ever listened to.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This will be the first ever full length KISS albim.I have ever listened to.

Get out of town!

I like Lick It Up well enough. This album was huge for them.

Exciter is a full on metal song, and On The Eighth Day is one of my all time favorite Gene songs.

Offline jammindude

Lick it Up is the definitive Vinnie Vincent album.   That album is surprisingly heavy.   It's very much "Creatures of the Night Part 2".    It's just that they had damaged their brand so badly with the Dynasty-Unmasked-Elder run, that no one bothered to give Creatures a chance.   They needed something to shake up the norm and get some attention back.  Taking off the makeup on MTV was a brilliant move from a business aspect, and it is probably the main reason that people took notice again, and also the main reason Kiss survived.

The title track is really the only somewhat lame track on the album..and even that has a certain charm to it. 

Nothing could be said about Moving Pictures that hasn't already been said.  It's rare that to see a perfect marriage of artistic integrity, and commercial success.   Usually an artist's most respected work is not their most successful.  But once in awhile, the public gets it right.  Moving Pictures is one of those times. 

I've actually never heard Not of This Earth.   I've heard Surfing, but the only Satriani albums I own are Flying in a Blue Dream and Crystal Planet.    Love FiaBD.   But CP is a disc that I got as a freebee while working in a CD shop and I think I've only spun it once or twice and I don't even recall what I thought.     Maybe I will at least give it a spin this week just to honor the spirit of the thread.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude