Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 903562 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ugh I'd rather not a 4th, no need to take away from Def Leppards set. I do think Tesla might be too good for that opening spot. Tesla also opened for Def Leppard and Poison only a few years ago too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I mentioned Tesla, because Tesla toured a lot with Def Leppard and Poison in the 80's. Heck, they even wrote a song about Steve Clark.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
It would be fitting, kind of hope for a band that I'd not only like but never saw before personally.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It would be fitting, kind of hope for a band that I'd not only like but never saw before personally.

Do you have a wish list knowing it's will likely be from that era?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nope, I really haven't discovered bands from that era since I loved it in my high school days and those bands I pretty much have all seen now (besides Motley Crue). It would be nice to discover a band in this opening slot. I won't be mad if it does end up being Tesla, they were good when I saw them earlier this year. I know they'd be good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I wonder if Whitesnake gets a sniff.

Offline Lowdz

Stryper are pitching for the gig.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Stryper are pitching for the gig.

You posted yesterday right after I posted that. Now you bring it up? :lol

(You must not've clicked the link..)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I hope this guy ends up in a really great full time gig.................yeah Animal Drive are good and his project with Lynch seems pretty decent but he is basically Ray Gillen reincarnate.

https://youtu.be/FjtLhdgObQQ
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:46:28 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I hope this guy ends up in a really great full time gig.................yeah Animal Drive are good and his project with Lynch seems pretty decent but he is basically Ray Gillen reincarnate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjtLhdgObQQ&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1DewygWFShKGMaJO_4pk2GhSf9y7F5sU9TFd4DQSBd2M_e-P2IIb-qbTw&t=205s

He has a great voice and I’m looking forward to the album with Lynch.
Let’s hope Jake hears this and gets excited enough to go back to a Badlands style with him, rather than the shit that is Red Dragon Cartel.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
For Savatage fans ...........the new single from Zak Stevens fronted Frontiers project Archon Angel (with Aldo from Secret Sphere) premieres at the link below in 9 hrs time.

Hopefully it's better than your average project band!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN5xdP3GOC8&fbclid=IwAR2qpzu1-cmMp7xZczw1dIvBJydLZeGK-DN18DkMeMfIqKUML-C7xaj5HhA
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fingers crossed.

Hopefully a new C2C is on the horizon sometime soon also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Sounds pretty good. Old school Zak-era Savs sound for sure. Dig it.

Seems like that is Frontiers' thing now -- put classic singers with albums reminiscent of their older bands to draw in suckers like me.  :lol

Needless to say, after this single, I'm in.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Get ready to open your wallets if you want to see the Crue/Leppard/Poison tour:

https://krna.com/the-motley-crue-tour-is-way-too-expensive-for-iowa/?fbclid=IwAR3YSq379W-SQ8Qa38jOmerKHs4fSuK3wqzKVbVBJrk9UG0bnVKH15CFKRY

By now you've heard the news that Motley Crue is making a comeback. The band is planning a summer tour with Def Leppard and Poison. So, why shouldn't this awesome tour make a stop in Iowa?

The Great Jones County Fair would be the only promoters capable of putting on something this big. They have been known to pay a top country act over a million dollars for a performance. But this show is bigger....much bigger.

An industry friend of mine told be he was offered the show. The numbers breakout like this according to his inquiry:

Motley Crue: $2 Million

Def Leppard $1 Million

Poison: $250,000

That's a total of $3 million, $250 thousand dollars! Let's say the average ticket price is $70. That means you would need to sell 46,000 tickets just to break even. The last time I checked, there wasn't that much room at the fairgrounds.

I'm told by that same insider the goal is to sell 60,000 seats and gross around $4.5 million dollars a show. That's a lot of cash!

That article is just speculating on the average cost of $70.  I'm sure it's going to be higher.  Metallica was charging $100+ per ticket for their stadium tour.  Now you've got 3 of the biggest hair bands in the 80's on one stage, with the headliner reuniting after a hiatus, asking for over $3 million per show.

Either way, it's interesting that a promoter in Iowa turned the tour down because the bands want too much money and they don't have a venue large enough to recoup the cost.

Those tickets will be a low-end of 100 for nosebleeds, and probably top-tier at 300+ (before resellers start gouging). Guaranteed. And people will (stupidly) pay. Motley Crue is pointless - Vince can't sing at ALL. Def Leppard - Joe Elliot is OK, but back in 2006, his midrange was gone. Thankfully, the rest of the band can sing which makes up for it (not the case with Motley). And Poison - at least Brett can still sing his stuff.

The tour will be a smash success, but they won't be getting any of my money.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Sounds pretty good. Old school Zak-era Savs sound for sure. Dig it.

Seems like that is Frontiers' thing now -- put classic singers with albums reminiscent of their older bands to draw in suckers like me.  :lol

Needless to say, after this single, I'm in.

I'm a sucker for these Frontiers things too when they have singers that I love.  This is a great song and Zak hasn't lost a touch. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Grapp,

Yep, he's as good as ever. Listening to Edge of Thorns now.  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Liking this Archon Angel track.   :tup  Thanks for the tip, Brent.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Looks like Joan Jett and the Blackhearts are the 4th band for the Motley Crue tour.  I'm not against this, fits what I was asking for as in a band I haven't seen before. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow, that's horrible.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Wow, that's horrible.

:lol knew this was coming

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
For Savatage fans ...........the new single from Zak Stevens fronted Frontiers project Archon Angel (with Aldo from Secret Sphere) premieres at the link below in 9 hrs time.

Hopefully it's better than your average project band!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN5xdP3GOC8&fbclid=IwAR2qpzu1-cmMp7xZczw1dIvBJydLZeGK-DN18DkMeMfIqKUML-C7xaj5HhA

I'm sorry, I just had to stop this vid for a moment at the 0:29 mark and have a laugh at the blatant Savatage rip offs here. Edge of Thorns or Gutter Ballet? Why not both? Will continue now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Saying that, the song was pretty impressive.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
average project band!

That's redundant.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Dates for the Motley Crue tour announced and WTF no date at Metlife Stadium, but doing Citifield in Queens on a Sunday?  Ugh, looks like I'll go to the Saturday show in Philly.  Just reserved myself a hotel room (refundable) in case prices start to sky rocket with people traveling for the Saturday gig. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
average project band!

That's redundant.

Only exception being when it involves a member of Winger  :metal

Next week there will be a single released from another one featuring Reb Beach , Robin McCauley and Jeff Pilson.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I saw the Reb Beach one coming up.  Frontiers fucking loves these random projects.  It's like the have a bunch of names in a hat and just out 4 or 5 and bam, that's a band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
average project band!

That's redundant.

Only exception being when it involves a member of Winger  :metal

Next week there will be a single released from another one featuring Reb Beach , Robin McCauley and Jeff Pilson.

I saw that.

Dates for the Motley Crue tour announced and WTF no date at Metlife Stadium, but doing Citifield in Queens on a Sunday?  Ugh, looks like I'll go to the Saturday show in Philly.  Just reserved myself a hotel room (refundable) in case prices start to sky rocket with people traveling for the Saturday gig. 

They're playing Fenway. Hardly a Stadium...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I saw the Reb Beach one coming up.  Frontiers fucking loves these random projects.  It's like the have a bunch of names in a hat and just out 4 or 5 and bam, that's a band.

The big issue with a lot of them is that it's a bunch of well known musicians playing other people's songs.  It works well very rarely (early Place Vendome) but it's the same with bands like Revolution Saints , as discussed in the other thread.  You have a guy like Jack Blades who is considered one of the better writers in melodic rock just playing stuff from the menu offered up by Leonardo DeVeccio & Co.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol Fenway is pretty small for a stadium, looks like they went for baseball stadiums not football stadiums.  Def Leppard and Journey played Fenway last year and a bunch of other baseball stadiums.  With no other support. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The big issue with a lot of them is that it's a bunch of well known musicians playing other people's songs.  It works well very rarely (early Place Vendome) but it's the same with bands like Revolution Saints , as discussed in the other thread.  You have a guy like Jack Blades who is considered one of the better writers in melodic rock just playing stuff from the menu offered up by Leonardo DeVeccio & Co.

Indeed.  Just seems strange.  It is the Frontiers Factory after all haha.  I thought most of the first album was excellent so hopefully this third one can offer something decent again.

The other problem is, is when these guys just play generic songs written by others, there's really no fucking point them playing.  It doesn't matter who plays them really.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That was the bit where you were supposed to one-up me on the mangling of Alessandro's name  :P

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Anguyen92

That Motley Crue/Def Leppard /Poison/Joan Jett tour is playing in SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, CA (where the Rams is going to play and is going to be next to the Forum and the first ever concerts there will be T. Swift headlining..... where tickets "sold out" quickly.)

I didn't even think, even with Motley Crue's history in LA, that this bill would be big enough to do a football stadium.  I mean I would think a more feasible venue of choice for a great turnout would be Dodger Stadium, but I guess people really think a lot of people, that wants to relive their 80s youth, will shell out stadium prices for tickets and sell around 60k tickets?  I don't know.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
60k is a lot of people, I think 30-40k is doable for this tour.  Def Leppard and Journey were doing huge shows.  Motley Crue/Poison/Joan Jett will easily make up for what Journey alone was pulling in plus more.  It's 22 dates, not nearly as long as that tour either (I think that was over 40 shows) with the stops a bit more spread out (no NJ show for example). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'd be shocked if they sell 40k tickets to any one show. Maybe LA or NY, but that's it. Hell, I'd be shocked if they sold 30k tickets to this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd be shocked if they sell 40k tickets to any one show. Maybe LA or NY, but that's it. Hell, I'd be shocked if they sold 30k tickets to this.

and those markets likely have the highest ticket prices too

Here are stats from the 2018 Def Leppard / Journey NA tour:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Def_Leppard_%26_Journey_2018_Tour

Fenway park was sold out at 34k.  Most of the smaller shows in arenas with less seats were sold out and they did a lot more shows on that tour so they weren't as georgraphically spaced out.  All the stadium dates sold well.  I'm most certain the promoters were looking at the $$$ when seeing these stats. 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8480677/journey-def-leppard-tour-wraps-1-million-fans

Have to pay to see the full article which I am not doing but you can see from the snippet, 1 million tickets sold and over 97 million gross from that tour.  30k is definitely happening at many if not all of these dates (Hershey for example only holds 27k and will probably sell out again) for next year.