Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896858 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
You guys are crazy, having seen Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, and Def Leppard all within the last year or two.... all were awesome live shows.  They all have their vocal issues with age, but the bands are solid and the music is still good even if it's all from the 80s.  Not being able to go because of other things (being a married father) is legit, but not allowing yourself to have an awesome night out seems a bit like a punishment on yourself.  I'll also add that BJ latest albums are definitely worse than DL or WS's latest.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You guys are crazy, having seen Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, and Def Leppard all within the last year or two.... all were awesome live shows.  They all have their vocal issues with age, but the bands are solid and the music is still good even if it's all from the 80s.  Not being able to go because of other things (being a married father) is legit, but not allowing yourself to have an awesome night out seems a bit like a punishment on yourself.  I'll also add that BJ latest albums are definitely worse than DL or WS's latest.

Cram, what I love about you is that you're a real happy go lucky kind of dude. You could pretty much go see anything and find some enjoyment in it. There's nothing better than seeing a live band, so I get it.

A few years ago, Def Leppard were playing minor league baseball stadiums and they played less than 10 miles from me, and I couldn't have given less of a shit. I'm just past them at this point in my life. Sure, any band can put on a good live show, but I judge a band and their intentions by what kind of music are they making, not the fact that they are playing 35 year old songs. Making going-through-the-motions albums ain't going to cut it for me. And I'm not rewarding that with giving them any of my money. I'd rather buy a 6 pack and put on High n Dry, or watch a youtube boot from the Pyromania tour.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

:getoffmylawn:

fix'd.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

Yeah, pretty much.

I just don't have unlimited nights out and recreational dollars, and I sure ain't wasting either on Def Leppard. Or Whitesnake. Or Bon Jovi.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's fair, but also just because they don't perform the new music as much doesn't mean they don't want to.  I feel like these bands very much do want to play the new music, they just have these huge fan bases that don't want them to.  I've never seen so many people leave the concert viewing area to the bathrooms/vendors as I did in 2003 when I first saw Def Leppard and they played some of their new music.  It was like a mass exodus that clearly the band sees too (and since then, they've hardly played new songs and just play the same hits). 

Personally, i would have loved to see DL at their Vegas residency, it seems like the only time they really played deep cuts and I believe they do like to and do want to do those songs, they just can't do that and continue to play arenas and stadiums because they'll lose all those older fans.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A conundrum to be sure.

But their new music blows, and that's my main argument.

I loved when they played those deep early cuts in Vegas. I downloaded them from all of the boots as they came up on Dime. I think I got them all. I have the live album saved on Spotify and I love those old songs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
The blu-ray is awesome, it has two of those opening sets plus the main set. 

I didn't get DF's latest album, but the singles were fine.  Better than what they performed in 2003 that shooed the crowd away.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Who is DF?   Ded Flatbird?  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Who is DF?   Ded Flatbird?  :)

:lol yea that works too

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It’s a bit of a slap in the face to fans that paid money to see the “farewell” shows from Motley Crue. But you had to figure there was a high likelihood that they would be back. These farewell tours for the most part are just a gimmick. The chance of a band staying retired is the same chance as a pro wrestler staying retired after they lose a retirement match lol. Money talks and I understand that.

As much as I would have liked to see Rush play one or two farewell shows (say Rogers Centre in Toronto), I think they may have made the right choice by just saying they are done and ending it without the possible charades.

Eddie Trunk was saying he can only think of one band that did a farewell show/tour and have stuck with it up to this point and that is Twisted Sister. I’m sure there are others but I can’t think of one.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Party pooper.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

I’d rather see DL playing 35 year old songs than anything they’ve written this century. I would go see them if they were playing nearby, as long as they left the boyband shit at home.

I wouldn’t go to see the Crue because Vince is atrocious. Whitesnake too. David’s voice isn’t there anymore. I saw them all when they were awesome and I’d rather remember them like that.

I saw KISS a few months ago and it was a great show, all things considered. Nowhere near as good as the reunion tour though. I wasn’t expecting much but I just needed to say goodbye to the group that started it all for me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And for those that were complaining about what Def Leppard and Whitesnake have sounded like for the last 20 plus years, does it now make sense why I pretty much only listen to albums from the 70’s and 80’s! You listen to the best and you end it there lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And for those that were complaining about what Def Leppard and Whitesnake have sounded like for the last 20 plus years, does it now make sense why I pretty much only listen to albums from the 70’s and 80’s! You listen to the best and you end it there lol

Haha.  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Jay would be proud of Ben tonight.   He went to a trivia night and there was a music section and they were asking all about Beyonce , Adele etc.......and Ben yells out "  Where's the stuff on the 80's mate?"  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jay would be proud of Ben tonight.   He went to a trivia night and there was a music section and they were asking all about Beyonce , Adele etc.......and Ben yells out "  Where's the stuff on the 80's mate?"  :metal

haha, nice.  They would have been so fucking confused seeing Ben yell that out.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Parenting done right.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Get ready to open your wallets if you want to see the Crue/Leppard/Poison tour:

https://krna.com/the-motley-crue-tour-is-way-too-expensive-for-iowa/?fbclid=IwAR3YSq379W-SQ8Qa38jOmerKHs4fSuK3wqzKVbVBJrk9UG0bnVKH15CFKRY

By now you've heard the news that Motley Crue is making a comeback. The band is planning a summer tour with Def Leppard and Poison. So, why shouldn't this awesome tour make a stop in Iowa?

The Great Jones County Fair would be the only promoters capable of putting on something this big. They have been known to pay a top country act over a million dollars for a performance. But this show is bigger....much bigger.

An industry friend of mine told be he was offered the show. The numbers breakout like this according to his inquiry:

Motley Crue: $2 Million

Def Leppard $1 Million

Poison: $250,000

That's a total of $3 million, $250 thousand dollars! Let's say the average ticket price is $70. That means you would need to sell 46,000 tickets just to break even. The last time I checked, there wasn't that much room at the fairgrounds.

I'm told by that same insider the goal is to sell 60,000 seats and gross around $4.5 million dollars a show. That's a lot of cash!

That article is just speculating on the average cost of $70.  I'm sure it's going to be higher.  Metallica was charging $100+ per ticket for their stadium tour.  Now you've got 3 of the biggest hair bands in the 80's on one stage, with the headliner reuniting after a hiatus, asking for over $3 million per show.

Either way, it's interesting that a promoter in Iowa turned the tour down because the bands want too much money and they don't have a venue large enough to recoup the cost.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yea, I'm definitely concerned about ticket prices here.  I plan on going but I'm not going to dish out insane money for a shit seat without a view.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Yea, I'm definitely concerned about ticket prices here.  I plan on going but I'm not going to dish out insane money for a shit seat without a view.

That's what amazes me.  I've seen so many comments from friends on social media that are incredibly excited about this tour.  Don't they realize that you're paying a ton of money to be very far away from the stage?

I've seen all three of these bands at least once, between 15-20 years ago, when they were all younger and in better shape than they are now.  There is no way is this tour going to be better than any of those shows.  No thanks, not interested this time.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Lowdz

I saw Crue back in 84 when they were hungry. Vince doesn’t look like he ever stops eating long enough to be hungry now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I saw Crue back in 84 when they were hungry. Vince doesn’t look like he ever stops eating long enough to be hungry now.

:lol

I read a rumor that part of the deal for the tour with Live Nation was he needs to lose 40 lbs, I hope its true.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I actually listened to the new Whitesnake last night while working on rosters for work.  Damn, it was pretty shit.  Coverdale sounds awful.  Couple of really nice guitar solos here and there but that's about it.

Offline Lowdz

I really liked it but Cov sounds bad.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
The lyrics are cheesy (shut up and kiss me!) but I dont hate it.  Never listened to the whole album, really don't care that much to get it, but the singles are fun but not great songs.  Whitesnake - Hey You Live NJ 2019  Man watching this makes me upset Luppi couldn't bring Secret Sphere to the US for progpower this year.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Lowdz

I went to see Uli Jon Roth live in a pub venue nearby the night before last. It was absolutely awesome. His singer was incredible, and Uli”s still got it.

Anyway, in swotting for the gig, I was listening to Tokyo Tapes I’ve had to add it to my list of best live albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I love Tokyo Tapes. The version of We'll Burn The Sky is amazing. Didn't they use the Frampton Comes Alive crowd noise for it though?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Wow! Beg much?  :lol

:lol The tour does not need a 4th band and this is funny to see this plea.  Also, one of the reasons so they can do an encore together  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I heard there will be a 4th band on the Crue/Leppard/Poison tour to open the show.  The rumor on the radio was that it's an 80's band, but a different genre than the other three. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I wonder of Tesla would grab that spot.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

Then the other bands don't have to play, because Tesla is/was so much better.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Then the other bands don't have to play, because Tesla is/was so much better.  :D

:metal :metal