Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 902502 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Arch/Matheos:  Not sure if many of you guys are into the Arch stuff, but jeez this sounds good.  Wonderful crystal clear production and mixing.  Jim's coming up with some great riffs lately and it shows again here.  The first album was hard to get the head around as Arch is a strange one and this one is more of the same but it does have a few more melodies that are a bit more catchy than what I found on the first one.  Jim does some wonderful leads on here too, his tone is amazing.  Frank shreds on the last two songs too which is a great contrast.  Will listen again.

As I said pretty much everywhere on DTF, this album is the shit. It's actually curious, I liked it so much I searched for some interviews and I found one with John where he says Jim recorded all the leads as demos and planned to have guest guitarists to actually play them and John said "no, no, Jim, I think your leads are amazing, let's keep them on the album" and Jim agreed. And on the other hand, John sang his lines a bit safer for the demos and when they meet up next time and John would add some crazy stuff to the vocals Jim would say "hey, no, John, how about we keep the previous vocal line, I liked it a lot" and so John restrained himself a bit on the album. I'd say both of those things really show throughout the record and possibly are the reason this album is my favourite of the year by far right now.

I think I'm around 30 or 35 spins into Winter Ethereal right now and I still love it. It's been a while since I've been obsessed with an album like that.

Also kinda curious about Tolkki right now I guess. Wasn't going to bother with it, may check it out now I guess.

Yeah, both those things stood out to me instantly and definitely kept my attention.  The sound quality also is sublime.  It's so good to see Frank still involved too.  He's always had some skills, quite underrated.  That riff in Wrath of the Universe is enormous.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Schwing.  That was a terrific way to start the morning.  If the rest of the album is this good, could very well be an instant contender for AOTY.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That was undeniably VP but a really excellent song to be honest.

I love how pumped the bass player is while playing the tune.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think I'll wait for the "Take The Clothes Pin Off My Nose" Vocal Remix version.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

I think I'll wait for the "Take The Clothes Pin Off My Nose" Vocal Remix version.

What, the growler version? Don’t think there’ll be one 😀😀😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

What, the growler version? Don’t think there’ll be one 😀😀😀

Fuck, that'd be cool!  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #10962 on: September 02, 2019, 06:47:36 PM »
I stumbled upon this fantastic YouTube Channel called FresnoMediaRestoration

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPVLqHbydz734aFOZBjAs5Q

It has amazing footage of shows from the mid 70's to early 80's from the Fresno area. There are a ton of audio boots, but some fantastic footage. He just released earlier this week some great video of AC/DC from 1979.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #10964 on: September 03, 2019, 02:37:28 PM »
New Derek Smalls!

http://bravewords.com/news/spinal-tap-bassist-derek-smalls-debuts-gimme-some-more-money-music-video

This is Spinal Tap is my all time favorite comedy and top 3 favorite movies of all time.  But I'll just pretend I didn't watch any of these videos lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #10965 on: September 14, 2019, 07:59:47 AM »
Uriah Heep is playing in my town next month and I'd be interested in going. I'm not familiar with their material outside of Easy Living (a killer tune), so any album/song recommendations would be appreciated.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10966 on: September 15, 2019, 05:54:38 AM »
Uriah Heep is playing in my town next month and I'd be interested in going. I'm not familiar with their material outside of Easy Living (a killer tune), so any album/song recommendations would be appreciated.

Well, probably their all time classic is Demons and Wizards (that Easy Livin comes from) so there's that. Magician's Birthday is very similar.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10967 on: September 15, 2019, 06:02:05 AM »
And among the hard rock heads Abominog (in my experience) seems to be the most popular.   They actually did a pub tour out here not so long ago but I didn't manage to catch them.  They're pretty low profile out here so was surprised to see them touring.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10968 on: September 15, 2019, 11:24:34 AM »
Ruba, their last half dozen albums are excellent. They feature Bernie Shaw on vocals. They are all quite solid rock to hard rock. Cool Hammond organ sound throughout most of it.

Here is a link to their 2018 album Living The Dream.
https://open.spotify.com/album/7qAAUNhhrA9Bjv6tCw5X3W?si=s6hl07l-RyeRjbm4ELT9RQ

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10969 on: September 17, 2019, 12:25:26 PM »
I’ve never bothered with them at all. Not sure why, just never crossed paths with them.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10970 on: September 18, 2019, 01:09:15 PM »
Just heard from a mate that Tony Mills of Shy has died. Far too young.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10971 on: September 18, 2019, 01:14:48 PM »
Must've had an...

Emergency. ;D :yeahright :|

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10972 on: September 18, 2019, 01:47:07 PM »
Really sad. Here's his wife's Facebook post. Was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer in April. Fucking April.

https://www.facebook.com/Tony.Mills.Official/posts/2931368496937434

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10973 on: September 18, 2019, 02:58:04 PM »
Oh shit, that's brutal.  RIP.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10974 on: September 18, 2019, 03:42:59 PM »
Very sad.  Nice guy............I've chatted with him a couple of times over the journey through Facebook.  :-[

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10975 on: September 18, 2019, 08:48:21 PM »
Shit, he was only 57 too.  That's harsh.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10976 on: September 19, 2019, 04:58:25 AM »
Fuck cancer.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #10978 on: September 20, 2019, 03:56:55 AM »
New single from Avatarium, looking forward to the rest of the album in November
https://youtu.be/npPd5f0GZQo

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10979 on: September 20, 2019, 10:30:26 PM »

If memory serves correct they got a spot in my Top 40 of 2017..............will keep an eye on.

IN other news Biff is out of action for some time  :-[

https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/saxon-postpone-all-2019-shows-as-biff-byford-needs-immediate-heart-operation/

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10980 on: September 21, 2019, 02:44:34 AM »
Poor Biff.  Positive thoughts to him.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10981 on: September 21, 2019, 06:03:37 AM »

If memory serves correct they got a spot in my Top 40 of 2017..............will keep an eye on.

I knew I'd heard the name somewhere before!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10982 on: September 21, 2019, 08:39:46 AM »
I hope Biff makes a full recovery. I can imagine with a surgery like that he won’t be playing for quite some time, maybe even a year or more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10983 on: September 22, 2019, 04:54:04 AM »
Now, myself and Tim seem to be pretty in sync with each other for quite some time now, but unfortunately we finally have a bit of a divide.  I checked out the new Hammerfall.  I wrote this band off as per my comments a page or two back.  What they have producing has been underwhelming and their last one was the end for me.

This new one, surprisingly, I think is actually pretty damn good.  I still don't like the Sweden song and there isn't a lot of depth here, but all in all I think it's a pretty good slab of metal.  There are some good songs here and some cool things going on.  Jociam sounds great and the production sounds good too.  There was a couple of cool cheesy heavier songs like Testify I think and Dead By Dawn.  So yeah, I wanted to hate this, but I don't.  Some of the stuff here reminds me of their earlier stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10984 on: September 22, 2019, 06:17:13 AM »
Based on that, I should check it again. But my ears are telling me not to. :D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10985 on: September 22, 2019, 07:03:56 AM »
Now, myself and Tim seem to be pretty in sync with each other for quite some time now, but unfortunately we finally have a bit of a divide.  I checked out the new Hammerfall.  I wrote this band off as per my comments a page or two back.  What they have producing has been underwhelming and their last one was the end for me.

This new one, surprisingly, I think is actually pretty damn good.  I still don't like the Sweden song and there isn't a lot of depth here, but all in all I think it's a pretty good slab of metal.  There are some good songs here and some cool things going on.  Jociam sounds great and the production sounds good too.  There was a couple of cool cheesy heavier songs like Testify I think and Dead By Dawn.  So yeah, I wanted to hate this, but I don't.  Some of the stuff here reminds me of their earlier stuff.

I am so far behind on checking out new releases it's not funny but I have seen some positive reviews , so was wondering if anyone around here would agree.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10986 on: September 22, 2019, 07:13:27 AM »
I thought it was putrid. But I'll give it another spin tonight.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10987 on: September 23, 2019, 07:50:29 AM »
Finally getting around to Arch/Matheos and , aside from being a bit indifferent towards his voice (like Lizzy Borden with less melodic sense) , I am really having to go searching for a hook to get me on board.   A lot of the lyrics seem to be just "there" and barely related to the music.   I know it's had almost universal praise too.

Only a few tracks in but feeling like the Skip button is gonna get a workout :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:25:03 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10988 on: September 23, 2019, 08:27:11 AM »
If you cut a few songs out it's actually a really good album.  Here's my abbreviated version:

Kindred Spirits

:neverusethis:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10989 on: September 23, 2019, 12:17:32 PM »
I’ve been well out of the loop on new releases this year. I just haven’t got the drive to seek out the good stuff from the solid.

I checked the Defiants album, which was ok.

The new Sinner album is pretty good, but suffers from too many singers and a couple of less inspired tracks.