Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906116 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I was never huge into Motley - bit of a "compilation band" for me.  I could take a couple of tracks off each album up to Dr Feelgood and have a great listen.   Re GGG I always loved Wild Side and All In The Name Of......... I don't see it as bad as many seem to. 

The s/t album with Corabi has a very strong reputation out there (not here :)  ) but likewise the consensus is it should've been released under a different name.

Re the chugga riff in Untethered Angel...........to preserve my sanity we'll go with this song 24 secs in.  Not sure that this is what my subsconscious was referencing but I'll say that's it just to stop me trying to figure it out :lol

Untethered Angel https://youtu.be/gylxuO6dKOw?t=48

Lionsheart: Make Believe  https://youtu.be/A8Q2GyKaQ94?t=22
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I was never huge into Motley - bit of a "compilation band" for me.

For me too, some really killer tunes and a lot of filler on their records.

The s/t album with Corabi has a very strong reputation out there (not here :)  ) but likewise the consensus is it should've been released under a different name.

But here  :D, I'm not saying it is an all-time classic, but it is the only Crue record I can listen to in full without skipping tracks.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have been meaning to check out that s/t Crue album again to see if time has changed my opinion but it's about no. 5000 on my list of things to check out.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have never listened to a MC album.  I know a lot of their hits and nothing takes my fancy.  I know Chad tried to turn me on but I just never bothered to check out anything past their hits.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Man... Kickstart My Heart is one of my fave 80s songs.  Wild Side is up there too.  So many good memories in the 80s being baked out of my mind watching those videos.  Guess I should check out the s/t - I never did like Hooligan's Holiday when it was released.  And as a Uni student, my disposable funds went to drinking, not music.  There were only a few bands that I kept buying CDs for the period of '92-'96.  Crue was not one of them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Kwyjibo

Knwowing a bit of your music tastes, I bet you will not like it. Kade on the other hand could enjoy the self-titled more than the normal Crue records.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Has anyone checked out the Walls of Blood album from Glen Drover?  This is his big metal project with guest singers.  It's not a bad album, but it's fairly standard.  If you've heard the Discordia song with Todd LaTorre, then you know what to expect. 

It's cool to see he got a few big names to sing a song.  Henning Basse gets most of the work, with one song each for Nils K. Rue, Todd LaTorre, Chuck Billy and Ripper Owens, and then a few guys I've never heard about.

"Imperium" track listing:

01. Leave This World Behind (feat. Nils K. Rue)
02. Discordia (feat. Todd La Torre)
03. Waiting To Die (feat. Chuck Billy)
04. Blood Sacrifice Ritual (feat. Henning Nasse)
05. Tarnished Dream (feat. Tim Owens)
06. Walls Of Blood (feat. Matt Cuthbertson)
07. The Fault Of Man (feat. Henning Basse)
08. Dark Lords Of Sleep (feat. Dan Cleary)
09. Junkhead (ALICE IN CHAINS cover) (feat. Lance Harvill)
10. Seven Spirits (feat. Henning Basse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8byAEoiM-L0 - Seven Spirts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNif5pHHFdY - Blood Sacrifice Ritual
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3El_cNKe5A4 - Discordia

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Knwowing a bit of your music tastes, I bet you will not like it. Kade on the other hand could enjoy the self-titled more than the normal Crue records.

Right you were.  Wasn't a lot that floated my boat.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
In regards to the Crue, don't bother with anything beyond the s/t.  Generation Swine, New Tattoo and Saints are terrible.  Not quite Dedicated to Chaos and The Astonishing terrible, but still bad.

The s/t was solid, but such a different sound it definitely should've been released under a different name.

The first five all have good songs throughout, but also a few duds.  Shout and Feelgood are the best of the bunch.

Offline Art

The self titled Motley Crue album is indeed really good, IMHO.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I'm a big fan of Dr. Feelgood and the self-titled that has Corabi on vocals. The rest is really hit and miss. Shout at the Devil is probably third on that list. Then its just a handful of songs from the others (Wild Side from GGG, Home Sweet Home from Theater of Pain, etc.)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lowdz

I’d only bother with the first, Shout At The Devil andDr Feelgood.

There’s 3-4 good tracks on Girls but the rest is poor.

Hated everything after Feelgood. They jumped on the grunge bandwagon,

Online Kwyjibo

They sure changed their sound drastically but I wouldn't call it grunge.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I was never huge into Motley - bit of a "compilation band" for me.  I could take a couple of tracks off each album up to Dr Feelgood and have a great listen.   Re GGG I always loved Wild Side and All In The Name Of......... I don't see it as bad as many seem to. 

Re the chugga riff in Untethered Angel...........to preserve my sanity we'll go with this song 24 secs in.  Not sure that this is what my subsconscious was referencing but I'll say that's it just to stop me trying to figure it out :lol

Untethered Angel https://youtu.be/gylxuO6dKOw?t=48

Lionsheart: Make Believe  https://youtu.be/A8Q2GyKaQ94?t=22

Pour Some Sugar On Me....?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Has anyone checked out the Walls of Blood album from Glen Drover?  This is his big metal project with guest singers.  It's not a bad album, but it's fairly standard.  If you've heard the Discordia song with Todd LaTorre, then you know what to expect. 

It's cool to see he got a few big names to sing a song.  Henning Basse gets most of the work, with one song each for Nils K. Rue, Todd LaTorre, Chuck Billy and Ripper Owens, and then a few guys I've never heard about.

"Imperium" track listing:

01. Leave This World Behind (feat. Nils K. Rue)
02. Discordia (feat. Todd La Torre)
03. Waiting To Die (feat. Chuck Billy)
04. Blood Sacrifice Ritual (feat. Henning Nasse)
05. Tarnished Dream (feat. Tim Owens)
06. Walls Of Blood (feat. Matt Cuthbertson)
07. The Fault Of Man (feat. Henning Basse)
08. Dark Lords Of Sleep (feat. Dan Cleary)
09. Junkhead (ALICE IN CHAINS cover) (feat. Lance Harvill)
10. Seven Spirits (feat. Henning Basse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8byAEoiM-L0 - Seven Spirts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNif5pHHFdY - Blood Sacrifice Ritual
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3El_cNKe5A4 - Discordia

Videos not available for me except for Discordia but I'm a big Drover fan and didn't know a full album was in the works let alone out.  I'll be sure to check this out.

Offline Lowdz

Bugger. Was jamming on the guitar last night and came up with a cool riff. Fast forward to today and I just watched the video of JP and JR talking about Barstool Warrior and there’s my cool riff 😀. Different key but same riff. I was gutted.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Some unusual gigs coming our way soon Kade.   Loudness are touring for the first time - why now I have no idea .   And Girlschool supported by Venom Inc  and Raven  :lol   Good to see some of these bands making it out but they were obscure back then let alone now.   The metalheads in Melboure will turn out for anything I suppose .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck me.  I guess we are that fucking desperate.  I just get fucked over living north.  Still spewing Avantasia aren't coming.  Can't blame Tobi after the turnout for Edguy the last time they were here.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck me.  I guess we are that fucking desperate.  I just get fucked over living north.  Still spewing Avantasia aren't coming.  Can't blame Tobi after the turnout for Edguy the last time they were here.

Most of the tours I look at lately (incl. the two above) are doing the whole east coast.  Brisbane get the royal treatment compared to Perth  :lol
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 06:00:00 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I managed to sneak in one listen to the new Queensryche tonight.   A bit like the new DT......I am struggling to get all in a lather over it like many reviewers seem to be.   Sound-wise I think it's the closest the TLT era band has managed to get to classic OM-Empire era 'Ryche.  It's a great sounding album.

Like pretty much all recent QR material there often seems to be something missing .......I can tell that it's Queensryche but the guitar parts are missing the melodic sense of DeGarmo.  That's not to say that Whip does a bad job at all btw.

In the end it comes down to the songs and I think it's a bit of a step back from Condition Human.  Of the 10 songs I would rate all but one as good/solid or better , but nothing slays it IMO.  Propaganda Fashion is filler as far as I am concerned.

Unfortunately (unlike DT) I don't think anything really tops the singles that have been released to this point.   Inner Unrest could be an exception with further listens perhaps (sounds like an Empire outtake)

I need to give it a bit more time but at this stage I can't rate it any higher than low 80s , and that might be stretching it .    Aside from the one track I never felt like hitting Skip but  by the same token I wasn't itching to hit rewind/replay on much either.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 06:24:20 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I managed to sneak in one listen to the new Queensryche tonight.   A bit like the new DT......I am struggling to get all in a lather over it like many reviewers seem to be.   Sound-wise I think it's the closest the TLT era band has managed to get to classic OM-Empire era 'Ryche.  It's a great sounding album.

Like pretty much all recent QR material there often seems to be something missing .......I can tell that it's Queensryche but the guitar parts are missing the melodic sense of DeGarmo.  That's not to say that Whip does a bad job at all btw.

In the end it comes down to the songs and I think it's a bit of a step back from Condition Human.  Of the 10 songs I would rate all but one as good/solid or better , but nothing slays it IMO.  Propaganda Fashion is filler as far as I am concerned.

Unfortunately (unlike DT) I don't think anything really tops the singles that have been released to this point.   Inner Unrest could be an exception with further listens perhaps (sounds like an Empire outtake)

I need to give it a bit more time but at this stage I can't rate it any higher than low 80s , and that might be stretching it .    Aside from the one track I never felt like hitting Skip but  by the same token I wasn't itching to hit rewind/replay on much either.

Check out my track-by-track first listen report in the QR thread. It doesn't sound like Queensryche except for Wilton's leads, and a few nuances. When the voice, heart/soul, and backbone are gone, it HAS to sound different. And it does.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Unfortunately (unlike DT) I don't think anything really tops the singles that have been released to this point.   

Oh wow, that's not good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
More new Tesla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=72&v=4TVXYM_5SO8

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ozzy554

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mastodon-to-release-cover-of-led-zeppelins-stairway-to-heaven/

This is a nice thing they're doing in memory of their late manager. All proceeds will go to pancreatic cancer research.

I'm really interested to see what they will be doing with one. I assume Brann will be handling the majority of the vocals here.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Unfortunately (unlike DT) I don't think anything really tops the singles that have been released to this point.   

Oh wow, that's not good.

Yeah, considering I already got my email from Amazon that it has shipped. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh wow, that's not good.

Yeah, considering I already got my email from Amazon that it has shipped. :lol

:lol  i will still buy it if I see it instore.

Offline gazinwales

Did you go see Ensiferum play in Brisbane on Thursday night?
I saw them in Sydney last night, the crowd where insane and the band on fire, one of the best shows I've seen in many years.

Offline Lowdz

Ultimate Guitar have putup the Yngwie cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I’m not linking it. Don’t do it. Remember the Yngwie there used to be back in the 80s and early 90s. Fucking abysmal doesn’t even come close to describing it.

Ok the, you asked for it
https://youtu.be/oVsNa3LaDUE

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
His guitar weeps alright.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Kwyjibo

This one came out even better than I expected

Not  :biggrin:

Should be renamed to "While His Guitar Makes Us Weep (and not gently)"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Did you go see Ensiferum play in Brisbane on Thursday night?
I saw them in Sydney last night, the crowd where insane and the band on fire, one of the best shows I've seen in many years.

Nah mate.  That's one band I've never gotten into.  Don't think I've heard anything from them to be honest.

EDIT:  Oh, apparantely, I own their self titled......

Offline gazinwales

They were killer last night in Sydney, best gig I've seen in many years.
Their debut album is a classic, give it a listen you might be surprised by it!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I wonder if I like it, if the band will fly back for me?  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

I wonder if I like it, if the band will fly back for me?  :lol

:lol

My friend is a big fan of Ensiferum so I went to see them with him in 2014, no regrets, their live show was awesome.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.