Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 904085 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, you check this out?

The more I listened the more I liked it.

Lowdz might like this..

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm just getting into 2018 let alone 2019  :lol    I do believe I have seen something about the album/heard an advance track but no - cannot say I have checked the album out.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Yngwie’s new album is a blues cover album. It will be shit.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

When you think the mighty can't fall any further......
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
He should get all his ex lead singers back for one track each and they can all sing the blues with real feeling about what a royal pain the ass he is.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 12:09:21 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
He should get all his ex lead singers back for one track each and they can all sing the blues with real feeling about what a royal pain the ass he is.

Ha!  Then you'd have a half decent album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Alice Cooper turned 71 today.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Im only a very casual Alice fan but he is an absolute fucking badass.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Surprised to see that singer Kendall Bechtel has left Fifth Angel.  After such a good buzz about the band and the new album, this seems like a strange time to leave the band.

Fifth Angel brought in a new guitarist and singer, my guess is the new singer will sound more like Ted Pilot.  Third Secret was a kick ass album, but a totally different sound for the band.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah - certainly doesn't sound an amicable split

https://www.forgotten-scroll.net/metal-news/fifth-angel-guitarist-kendall-bechtel-leaves-the-band/

I'm sure Brian will have some thoughts.

Ethan Brosh is a good guitarist (if he hangs around beyond the gigs) - although that doesn't necessarily make him a good writer of memorable vocal songs , as per Satriani/Moore.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Has anyone heard of the new singer before?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Has anyone heard of the new singer before?

Not well known at all - seems he is in a Motley tribute in Phoenix or something.

I had to dig deep but found this , which seems to be him.

https://www.reverbnation.com/musician/stevecarlson6

Not much to go on there .  Ironically the one snippet is a song called Only Time Will Tell.........sounds okay I guess.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Brent, yeah not much to go on there with how he sounds.

We will have to wait for Brian and a BMZ update.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That news is very disappointing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

When you think the mighty can't fall any further......

Well - here's the first single.  A blues (original) from the great man - most on the album will be covers which is probably a good thing given what he writes these days.  He is really becoming a caricature of himself - a shit song and the video consists of him looking like a wanker showing off his cars and guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvH1Wl6J50Y

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Hey guys, about Fifth Angel. Yeah, there's a lot going on with that band. Suffice it to say, for whatever his reasons, Kendall up and ditched them at the worst possible time. It's not really my place to explain what the band thinks, and what was going on behind the scenes, but lets just say that they were blown away Kendall would up and leave, particularly after spending so much time and effort over the past year and a half writing and recording such a well received new album, and taking over as lead singer. But he up and left his other band, TKO, a year or so ago as well, so something is up with him. What that is, isn't my place to speculate on. He's a great player, and has treated me with a lot of kindness and class over the years. I wish him the best.

And Third Secret, while good, to me, isn't up to par. And the reason for that is simple -- Ed Archer (who is now back with the band) writes all the music for Fifth Angel, and he has ZERO writing on the new one (nor did he play on it). He was out of the band (by choice) when they wrote and recorded it, and then was asked to return when they realized they needed him. And its great they are solid once again (Ed, Ken Mary, John Macko), but that's why it sounds different. The way Ed writes, and the way Fifth Angel's rhythm guitars sound are much different then how Kendall did them. Its good, but it lacks the unique identifiers that make it Fifth Angel. That's why I am always skeptical when a band loses its major writer (Queensryche with DeGarmo, for example). Because it changes the dynamic completely. Sometimes it works, often it doesn't. I am glad they did another record, but truth be told, I consider the record to be something other than Fifth Angel. When you don't have Ed (music, arrangements, lyrics), and you don't have Ted (lyrics, vocal melodies, THAT VOICE), you really don't have what made the band distinct.

As for the new band members, I honestly don't know them. I had heard of Ethan Brosh before because of his guest appearance on Michael Sweet's last album. Fantastic lead player. He's been working with Ed quite a bit to learn the rhythms that Kendall would play. Its been funny (well, not so funny) for Ed, because while he wrote all those guitar parts, he;s become accustomed to just playing the ones he chose to play over the years. So now, he has both guitar parts down cold, because he is showing them to Ethan.  :lol

But Ed said that Ethan's lead playing is amazing. He can play both Kendall Bechtel's leads and James Byrd's leads note-for-note, which if you know about the two of them, that's REALLY hard to do. So I think at least musically, Fifth Angel will be fine.

Vocally, I don't know anything about the new singer. Image-wise, he doesn't really fit, IMO. But his voice seems to have the character to pull off Ted and Kendall. But range-wise, I don't know if he can get those higher notes Ted hit. Maybe he can. But I haven't heard rehearsals, so I have no idea.

All I know is, I really wish that they get some stability. They made a band choice to let Peter Orullian go, and while Peter wasn't "the best" fit for them, he was the only voice that ever sang for them live since they reunited (and truth be told, back in the 80s, they never played live, just a couple of local record showcases), and for stability's sake, they should have kept him. He was gung-ho to do it. But it is what it is.

Thankfully, for Ed, Ken, and John, Fifth Angel isn't a full time job. THey all have careers outside of the band, and only Ken is in the music industry full time. Ed and John have regular jobs like all of us. All this music stuff is, is for their entertainment and enjoyment. So whether Fifth Angel continues after their shows, or calls it a day again, it won't hurt them. But my hope is they are able to solidify the foundation with the three of them, and then see where the future takes them after this show in a couple of weeks.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, you check this out?

The more I listened the more I liked it.

Lowdz might like this..

Whoah. HUGE Daredevil fan. What is this?!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It’s a new album by a Spanish band I think. Has an early 80’s vibe. Kind of like Klaus Meine singing for Quiet Riot circa 1983.  It’s definitely worth a listen. I’m digging it (and purchased it).

Offline Lowdz

It’s a new album by a Spanish band I think. Has an early 80’s vibe. Kind of like Klaus Meine singing for Quiet Riot circa 1983.  It’s definitely worth a listen. I’m digging it (and purchased it).

Had a listen to a track the other night after your recommendation. Liked it, will delve further 🤘

Your musical taste hasnt completely disappeared up your arse with all thesegrowls 😀

Offline Lowdz

Don’t know if I dare listen to 5he Yngwie track. The snippet on the Facebook advert was bad enough.

And Ethan Brosh is a very good player. His sister Nili is too. She played with TMac a while ago.

Offline Lowdz

Ok, I listened and it was about what I expected. Shit. I think I could actually do better. I reckon the rest of the album will sound exactly the same as that song. Mindless noodling that goes nowhere.

Apparently it’s a tribute to the blues players that inspired him. So that will be Hendrix and Blackmore then.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I keep waiting for this thread to flip over to the 300 page mark.  I don't recall ever seen a thread go 300 pages here at DTF - the mods usually like to keep things tidy and clean.

:metal
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Yngwie trying to play the blues is like Bob Dylan covering Iron Maiden.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
I keep waiting for this thread to flip over to the 300 page mark.  I don't recall ever seen a thread go 300 pages here at DTF - the mods usually like to keep things tidy and clean.

:metal

Mod restart in 3...2...1..

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Fortunately, none of them ever come in here (we're too :hat for them) so unless someone rats us out ...
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Fortunately, none of them ever come in here (we're too :hat for them) so unless someone rats us out ...

TAC has probably already cashed us in for a fancy custom title and bosk1's undying devotion.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

TAC has probably already cashed us in for a fancy custom title and bosk1's undying devotion.

I've been trying but I can't afford his asking price.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would like to see at least one more Fifth Angel album before they call it quits.  I think with Ed back in the band the sound will hopefully go back to the sound of the first two albums.  Third Secret is a kick ass album, but like Brian said, not really the FA sound at all.

Hopefully this new singer can do the first two albums justice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't find the first two FA all that similar. Third Secret is fantastic, and honestly, I don't give a shit what they do or don't do from here on out. To me, The Third Secret's main selling point was the vocals anyway. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
As soon as Kendall got that John Payne style goatee beard I knew something must be wrong  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It's just like in wrestling.  Whenever someone grows a beard or goatee, they usually turn heel.  Kendall turned heel on Fifth Angel lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't find the first two FA all that similar. Third Secret is fantastic, and honestly, I don't give a shit what they do or don't do from here on out. To me, The Third Secret's main selling point was the vocals anyway.

All of this really.  Kendall's lead playing was also a highlight for me.  I don't think I'd give a shit at all about them anymore with him not in the band.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Third Secret is a kick ass album, but like Brian said, not really the FA sound at all.

This is probably why I like The Third Secret so much.  The first 2 FA albums were kinda 'meh' for my tastes.

All of this really.  Kendall's lead playing was also a highlight for me.  I don't think I'd give a shit at all about them anymore with him not in the band.

I'll pile on with these thoughts

Offline Lowdz

Another new Tesla track. Nothing very exciting and more Def Lep than the band who recorded Mechanical Resonance and GReatRadio Controversy.

https://youtu.be/GCxRVi6vEbA

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Not really feelin' it, and as someone in the comments already said, sounds more like AC/DC meets Def Lep than Tesla.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D