Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 902355 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, not gonna lie, I had images of you scanning page by page of dozens of guitar tabs books, pressing the middle down firmly each time so you got a proper copy.  :lol

I'm much more interested in a B&B podcast for the best of 2017.   :biggrin:

Will get that to you this week.

I am now realising why I didn't want to reorganise/rename all this stuff properly :lol - almost 150 books you guys are going to be getting  :omg:   Will work on it gradually in coming days.

Oh, baby!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Holy shit. RIP Ted McKenna.  :(

Not gonna lie, I had to goggle his name.  RIP however.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
deleted
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 07:23:27 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, you scanned all of those in? Every page??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Reporting back that the Flotsam & Jetsam kicks total ass. It does not disappoint. Best guitar solos on any F&J album, not that they're know for them.

Ken Mary is fantastic on this. I did NOT think he had that in him.

Will check it out Tim.

I have actually had a lot more interest in the guitar tabs than expected  - everybody wants to see the lot it seems.  The reason why I just said "let me know what you're after" was that they're mixed up in a whole lot of other docs (not all related to guitar playing) and I thought I might get away without having to organise them  ;D   It'll need to be done eventually so I'll do it and then create a zip file with the lot in it and PM a link to those who have expressed an interest.  Might not be pronto but I will get to it.

re the PDFs Kade - most of them are already done.    It's a mix of stuff I had already converted years ago plus stuff I have got from contacts I used to have in the guitar world plus a few I found online myself in PDF form.   I do have a few hard copy ones that are not converted - wouldn't know where to start looking for them to be honest.  They include Gutter Ballet and XYZ s/t and a book with every Van Halen song A-Z  ( edit ...found Gutter Ballet in PDF and added).  But most of my others are in the digital lot.   There's some super rare stuff in amongst it  - eg  Angra Angels Cry , Armored Saint SoS, Greg Howe Introspection and Crimson Glory Transcendence for starters.

I have a similar lot I put together years ago with what many would consider the best guitar instructional material (based on my own research) but I cannot seem to find it at the moment.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow, It's like I can't unsee it now! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
What is the Judas Priest- Super Best Japanese band score?

I'm assuming that's when the band played on the Japanese television show "Super Terrific Happy Hour"?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I want quite a few of those.  Fucking Perpetual Burn and TMac come at me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 02:18:58 PM by wolfking »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What is the Judas Priest- Super Best Japanese band score?

I'm assuming that's when the band played on the Japanese television show "Super Terrific Happy Hour"?

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Iron Savior;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYcxJbz4fUI

You can assume what this sounds like without even clicking the link, but this is a solid tune.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Iron Savior was solid.

Didn’t dig that new Tesla song at all but I’ve barely heard any of their material since Psychotic Supper.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

You can assume what this sounds like without even clicking the link, but this is a solid tune.

I listened to this the other day and thought the same exact thing. On both accounts.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Didn’t dig that new Tesla song at all but I’ve barely heard any of their material since Psychotic Supper.

You didn't miss anything.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

You didn't miss anything.

The only song that I remember well post-PS is Cry from Bust a Nut........good song.  Aside from that it's all a bit of a blur. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Cry is one of their best songs, and I think Bust A Nut is excellent.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I do really like Cry and consider Bust A Nut their last "proper" Tesla album but for me it's a bit like Promised Land.   One or two (one in this case) tracks I really like and a few solid ones, but I could detect the magic  - from my point of view- was going missing.  And from there it was downhill pretty quick.

Last reminder to PM me please if you want the guitar/score archive .................all for the once only price of $5000  FREE!   Offer good for 24 hrs then we move along to other things like the ancient 2017 podcast ;D   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I do really like Cry and consider Bust A Nut their last "proper" Tesla album but for me it's a bit like Promised Land.   One or two (one in this case) tracks I really like and a few solid ones, but I could detect the magic  - from my point of view- was going missing.  And from there it was downhill pretty quick.

Well from there, that was it. Tommy was out. They toured as a 4 piece and then basically disappeared.

Did you just compare BaN to PL?

Personally I love Bust A Nut.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Well from there, that was it. Tommy was out. They toured as a 4 piece and then basically disappeared.

Did you just compare BaN to PL?

Personally I love Bust A Nut.

I suppose the difference between Bust A Nut and PL is that PL has songs that I really dislike whereas Bust A Nut is solid throughout with one standout track.  And PL has one standout track for me too (One More Time).

The key comparison for me is that they were both "turning point" albums where I had the feeling that they were losing the magic and that things were downhill pretty swiftly afterwards.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I get what you are saying.

I just happen to think BaN is stronger than you do. But yes, they were done after that.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I even think Psychotic Supper is a little patchy but the best songs are some of their best.

Their first two though are genre classics IMO with barely a weak track between them.   The Great Radio Controversy was the one I used in my Top 50 but Mechanical Resonance would've been worthy too.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I actually consider TGRC fairly weak.

Half killer, half filler.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well there you go!  I will have to get Wildranger to run a poll on TGRC vs Bust A Nut   ;D

I predit TGRC in a landslide with about 5 people bothering to vote  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just looking at the tracklist for BaN. There is a lot of it that is unspectacular for sure.

But I love:
Cry
Solution
Shine Away
Try So Hard

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK guys............onto the podcast. I have so much 99% ready but life keeps getting in the way I'm afraid.

Anyway - here we have the very belated, much anticipated and pretty outdated Best Of 2017..........the Top 40 show.

https://yadi.sk/d/CfyozDrRUiyGhQ

There are still two more Best Of The Rest shows to follow.  What started out of frustration at a perceived lack of quality releases in August 2017 turned into a monster project after I just kept finding stuff. I have this issue where once I start something I have to finish it no matter how many detours along the way.

These shows have been done very gradually over a long period of time and the order of release is different to the order of recording.  I actually started on the first "best of the rest" show back in March - intending to release that first-  and was talking about the "new Judas Priest album" and now I am releasing the Top 40 first etc........so the time frames are all off but the music is the important thing, right?   And in that spirit , try to forget that this is about a year too late and just enjoy discovering some new music, because that's what motivates this whole thing.  As per usual there's a fair bit of diversity in the Top 40 and pretty much every track will be liked by some and not others.  One thing I am pretty sure of is that everyone will discover something of interest.

I have another regular show half done too and this show is one where everything has been selected by Ben - I think you'll be surprised at what he's come up with.

Hope you enjoy the listen.  Tracklist to follow.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome Brent! It's 10:30 pm here right now and I have to be at work at 6:am. I'll download when I get home tomorrow.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Ben did a special intro for you to send off two thousand and SEVENTEEN  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Awesome.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I know how I'm starting my morning tomorrow!

:fistpump:

About damned time!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent >>>>>> Santa Claus

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Lowdz

Just looking at the tracklist for BaN. There is a lot of it that is unspectacular for sure.

But I love:
Cry
Solution
Shine Away
Try So Hard

I always thought BaN was half a great album, but it’s a classic compared to anything after it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'm truly honored Ben & Brent. A very nice segment.  One that I needed frankly. It's been a pretty tough last week around these parts.
Thank you.

For winning the Winger-Off, I thought I'd get Ben his own bag!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That place must be amazing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns