Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 904482 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Fans of Lords of Black may be interested to know that Ronnie Romero has quit the band
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Fans of Lords of Black may be interested to know that Ronnie Romero has quit the band

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

He realised it's a shit band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
If a tree falls...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thought I'd list some newer albums that I've finally gotten around to checking out since XMas.

Euphoeron - I've probably mentioned this one and checked it out a couple of months ago really but thanks to Tim, this is a really excellent album and thought I'd mention it.  Have managed to listen a few times and a brilliant album.  And they are from New Zealand! huh!

Dee Snider - I know nothing of Twisted Sister except their couple of hits.  Dee's voice never did anything that I needed to check out more so checked this from the positive reviews, and yeah this is pretty nice.  Pretty samey until the last few songs but some cracking straight up metal.  Wouldn't be a long term classic but great metal album.

Nordic Union - Nope.  I think the second song was pretty good but Martensson is pretty much cooked as far as I'm concerned.  Didn't make it through the whole thing and Ronnie should lay this project to rest.

Lizzy Borden - I produced a better turd about an hour ago.

Dynazty - I don't think I listened to their last one at all.  Renatus I love so I don't know why I didn't, or I did and it was all the same.  Well this is all the same again, but even though you wouldn't repeat it over and over, I found it pretty enjoyable.  Some nice songwriting here and there even though we've literally heard it all before.

Ten - Speaking of hearing it all before, this came quick, and I really liked Gothica.  The samples I heard were average but I actually really liked this and a worthy follow up.  Gary produces the same songs and structure yet again, but with this lineup he's on a bit of a late career roll IMO.  Will listen again.

Devil's Hand - As mentioned in the other thread, it's Mike Slamer and he produces the goods again with some heavier moments, really enjoyable.

Riot V - I only know Fire Down Under and Thundersteel so don't know what made me check this.  It was okay, but pretty generic.  I turned it off halfway through.

Stratovarius - Great compilation and the new songs are awesome, this band is on some roll too.  Burn Me Down is one of the coolest tracks they've done for a while.  I've heard most here but a couple of songs I hadn't.  Don't care for the orchestral versions at all, it would have been fine just with the 12 tracks.  Nice little segway between albums this one.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Between Dynazty, Ten, and The Night Flight Orchestra, I think every release is pretty predictable:  enjoyable, but nothing we haven't heard before.  I'd put Nordic Union on that bus too.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Euphoeron - I've probably mentioned this one and checked it out a couple of months ago really but thanks to Tim, this is a really excellent album and thought I'd mention it.  Have managed to listen a few times and a brilliant album.  And they are from New Zealand! huh!

:metal

Yeah, this is a great album. Kind of surprised I can digest the vocals, but it creates a cool dichotomy with the absolutely stunning and gorgeous music behind it. Some real thoughtful and interesting lyrics too. This is a great band.

I would love to hear an instrumental version of this album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I’d like to hear what Brent’s rating is for Kade’s turd

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I’d like to hear what Brent’s rating is for Kade’s turd

It stinks .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I can assure you all the turd was indeed a real stinker.  My turd smelt pretty bad too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Had a listen to the Trond Holter Vlad album.  Pretty solid, although it's just Dracula all over again but not as good.  Trond is some guitarist though, he can really shred when he wants to.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Had a listen to the Trond Holter Vlad album.  Pretty solid, although it's just Dracula all over again but not as good.  Trond is some guitarist though, he can really shred when he wants to.

Won't disagree at all.  Nils is no Jorn, and the writing isn't anything fresh.  Where Dracula was a solid A, I give Vlad a strong B+

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Won't disagree at all.  Nils is no Jorn, and the writing isn't anything fresh.  Where Dracula was a solid A, I give Vlad a strong B+

Too much female vocals to for me, I expected more Nils.  Not sure if it's the same split as Dracula but felt like a lot more female vocals here.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Looks like Janet Gardner just quit as singer of Vixen. Sucks, I had never seen them, and had a ticket to a gig this April. No sense now. Hoping to get a refund.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like Janet Gardner just quit as singer of Vixen. Sucks, I had never seen them, and had a ticket to a gig this April. No sense now. Hoping to get a refund.

I'd still bang her.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I'd still bang her.

definitely

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'd still bang her.

definitely

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New Tesla song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKyjC71PdZQ&feature=youtu.be

Another one of my all time fave bands that I really can't be bothered with these days (in terms of new material)   At least they're trying to do something a bit different but I'm not really digging it.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
The last one (Simplicity) was boring, up until then I found each record to be at least good. Can't hear the new song at work but I'm not very hopeful.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This is probably only relevant to a couple of you but after not touching my guitars for 20 years or so I picked one up the other day.  After being thoroughly amazed at how SHIT I now am on the instrument I had a look at an old archive I put together a number of years back and I seriously have shitloads of guitar tab books in hard copy and PDF format - a number of them are those Japanese full band scores.

So anyway..........I am not going to put the time into creating a list of them all , but if you're after anything specific then let me know.  You can generally find individual songs easily enough on the internet these days , so perhaps this is of limited use .  But if you want a whole album in book (PDF) form - the authorised/official tab then I might be able to sort it out for you.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

This is probably only relevant to a couple of you but after not touching my guitars for 20 years or so I picked one up the other day.  After being thoroughly amazed at how SHIT I now am on the instrument I had a look at an old archive I put together a number of years back and I seriously have shitloads of guitar tab books in hard copy and PDF format - a number of them are those Japanese full band scores.

So anyway..........I am not going to put the time into creating a list of them all , but if you're after anything specific then let me know.  You can generally find individual songs easily enough on the internet these days , so perhaps this is of limited use .  But if you want a whole album in book (PDF) form - the authorised/official tab then I might be able to sort it out for you.

Keep at it mate. I’m shit but still play - it’s agreat way to relax if you don’t pressure yourself to be awesome. It will come back pretty quick I’m sure.

I’d probably be interested in the tab books. I used to collect them just to follow the score as I listened to the albums.
I remember trying to decipher Steve Vai’s transcription of Alien Water Akiss 😳🤪🤯

As to theTesla, willlisten later. I quite liked the last one but found JKks voice hard to listen to. Hounded like duck quacking 😀

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
The last one (Simplicity) was boring, up until then I found each record to be at least good. Can't hear the new song at work but I'm not very hopeful.

Simplicity was old man rock. No fire, no metal edge. Even the one before that, Forever More. Good, but nowhere near as good as Into the Now. No Tommy, no edge. Tommy has his issues, but he brought an edge to the band's music that is sorely missing. Frank Hannon and Dave Rude are both kind of hippie-ish, laid back dudes. And it comes out in the music. Tommy was nowhere near like that. And that attitude found its way into stuff. Without him, Tesla just falls flat. And it kills me to say that, because I love the band. But they haven't been the same since INto the Now.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Simplicity was old man rock. No fire, no metal edge. Even the one before that, Forever More. Good, but nowhere near as good as Into the Now. No Tommy, no edge. Tommy has his issues, but he brought an edge to the band's music that is sorely missing. Frank Hannon and Dave Rude are both kind of hippie-ish, laid back dudes. And it comes out in the music. Tommy was nowhere near like that. And that attitude found its way into stuff. Without him, Tesla just falls flat. And it kills me to say that, because I love the band. But they haven't been the same since INto the Now.

hah, I'm not even familiar with Simplicity. For the record, I actually prefer Forever More.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
While I have saved a few albums on Spotify already, my first official 2019 purchase has arrived and I'm ready to sink my teeth into it!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Holy crap, literally. Just checked that new Tesla tune. It blows. That intro and the verses. WTF?
I see it's Phil Collen producing. they should've gotten Pete Willis. Damn.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Man, I'd be very interested in what you have mate.  But transferring a whole book to pdf would be a massive task mate.

And also, hurry up and get the cobwebs out so we can start a band.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Holy crap, literally. Just checked that new Tesla tune. It blows. That intro and the verses. WTF?
I see it's Phil Collen producing. they should've gotten Pete Willis. Damn.

After 1:15, switched off, what trash.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Reporting back that the Flotsam & Jetsam kicks total ass. It does not disappoint. Best guitar solos on any F&J album, not that they're know for them.

Ken Mary is fantastic on this. I did NOT think he had that in him.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Reporting back that the Flotsam & Jetsam kicks total ass. It does not disappoint. Best guitar solos on any F&J album, not that they're know for them.

Ken Mary is fantastic on this. I did NOT think he had that in him.

Will check it out Tim.

I have actually had a lot more interest in the guitar tabs than expected  - everybody wants to see the lot it seems.  The reason why I just said "let me know what you're after" was that they're mixed up in a whole lot of other docs (not all related to guitar playing) and I thought I might get away without having to organise them  ;D   It'll need to be done eventually so I'll do it and then create a zip file with the lot in it and PM a link to those who have expressed an interest.  Might not be pronto but I will get to it.

re the PDFs Kade - most of them are already done.    It's a mix of stuff I had already converted years ago plus stuff I have got from contacts I used to have in the guitar world plus a few I found online myself in PDF form.   I do have a few hard copy ones that are not converted - wouldn't know where to start looking for them to be honest.  They include Gutter Ballet and XYZ s/t and a book with every Van Halen song A-Z  ( edit ...found Gutter Ballet in PDF and added).  But most of my others are in the digital lot.   There's some super rare stuff in amongst it  - eg  Angra Angels Cry , Armored Saint SoS, Greg Howe Introspection and Crimson Glory Transcendence for starters.

I have a similar lot I put together years ago with what many would consider the best guitar instructional material (based on my own research) but I cannot seem to find it at the moment.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:19:56 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm much more interested in a B&B podcast for the best of 2017.   :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm much more interested in a B&B podcast for the best of 2017.   :biggrin:

Will get that to you this week.

I am now realising why I didn't want to reorganise/rename all this stuff properly :lol - almost 150 books you guys are going to be getting  :omg:   Will work on it gradually in coming days.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:30:44 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Holy shit. RIP Ted McKenna.  :(

Offline Lowdz

Holy shit. RIP Ted McKenna.  :(

Saw that this morning. RIP.