Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908783 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Kade - I was hanging out for a bit of feedback after all those downloads  :)

Make sure you check the tracklist for band names - there's some weird spelling in amongst them.

Roxx Gang
Marchello
Le Roux etc...

No worries mate.  I only really get time to listen on the weekends.  Are you going to do a tracklist of the show or have I just missed that?

You missed me saying the link is in the OP  :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 03:16:47 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Kade - I was hanging out for a bit of feedback after all those downloads  :)

Make sure you check the tracklist for band names - there's some weird spelling in amongst them.

Roxx Gang
Marchello
Le Roux etc...

No worries mate.  I only really get time to listen on the weekends.  Are you going to do a tracklist of the show or have I just missed that?

You missed me saying the link is in the OP  :)

Awesome, thanks Brent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Paris Calling by Shark Island is a kick ass tune.  From what I read, Shark Island was predicted to be the next big thing but obviously that didn't pan out.  What did you rate their album Brent?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Paris Calling by Shark Island is a kick ass tune.  From what I read, Shark Island was predicted to be the next big thing but obviously that didn't pan out.  What did you rate their album Brent?

Been ages since I have listened to or rated anything much .

Looks like originally I rated it around an 80% but over time it was a grower so probably more like high 80's.  A couple of classics , plenty of very good stuff and little I'd call filler.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I'm virtually certain this is a track you provided in one of my roulettes. Very tasty.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

I'm virtually certain this is a track you provided in one of my roulettes. Very tasty.

It’s a great album. Shake For Meis my favourite track.

Apparently Axl Rose stole all Richard Black’s moves.

I have a confession to make. A mate did me a compilation with some Heavier stuff on it. Just heard Seasons In The Byss by Slayer and really enjoyed it. Guitar solo was hit but the rest was excellent. Just never bothered listening to them before.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Seasons is a great album. Lowdz, if you've never really listened to Slayer before, that'd be the album to check out. It's quite accessible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't know much about Shark Island. But I did have the Contraband album because of Michael Schenker. I remember being disappointed by it. I think Shark Island were involved with that, no?

I saw Schenker's acoustic tour with Robin McCauley in 1992, and pretty sure the Shark Island guitarist was part of the trio.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The singer of Contraband was Richard Black from Shark Island.  I've never heard the Contraband album though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The singer of Contraband was Richard Black from Shark Island.  I've never heard the Contraband album though.

As Tim said it was disappointing - aside from the opening track from memory.  None of the band members had any writing credit on the album , so it was a bit more like a Frontiers style "project."

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The opening track was All The Way From Memphis I recall. It was OK, and you could hear Schenker on it, but after that, I just remember the thing going downhill.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

It’s a great album. Shake For Meis my favourite track.

Apparently Axl Rose stole all Richard Black’s moves.

I have a confession to make. A mate did me a compilation with some Heavier stuff on it. Just heard Seasons In The Byss by Slayer and really enjoyed it. Guitar solo was hit but the rest was excellent. Just never bothered listening to them before.

As Tim said, Seasons is probably their best album to start with.  Although, the track Seasons isn't really the best representation of the band IMO, so don't expect songs like that all the time.  South of Heaven is another good one to start with.  Reign in Blood is just classic status, good lord that's a mighty album.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
As Tim said, Seasons is probably their best album to start with.  Although, the track Seasons isn't really the best representation of the band IMO, so don't expect songs like that all the time.  South of Heaven is another good one to start with.  Reign in Blood is just classic status, good lord that's a mighty album.

All of that.

But if you didn't like the guitar solo in Seasons In The Abyss, you will not like the other solos.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

All of that.

But if you didn't like the guitar solo in Seasons In The Abyss, you will not like the other solos.  :biggrin:

Indeed.  The Seasons solo is one of their most melodic, if not the most.  As a guitarist, I don't know what the fuck they are thinking with some of their solos, but somehow they make them work.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I bit off the first 1hr40m off the latest podcast.

Brent, what I love about this podcast is the old school feel to it. Even if the songs are kind of corny (Aftermath), it adds to the vibe. In the 80's, everything was corny! :lol

And it's nice to break up the rareties with some familiar songs.

Love hearing Chinatown in the classic block. I haven't heard Come Along in ages (was never a fan). After UFO and Thin Lizzy, I was trying to figure out what would come next. My prediction was Tygers Of Pan Tang...

I really liked that Tytan track, and I thought the Lord track was old Jeff Scott Soto. I do have Digital Lies, but I've never really gone back to it after buying it.

But holy shit, that Alejandro Silva track was AMAZING!! :hefdaddy  Are all of his albums instrumental?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK, got another chunk in. Have 90 min left.

The Marcello track was great. The lyrics, especially that first verse, really hit close to home. I actually welled up listening.

The Whitesnake was actually not a bad song. I was also quite disappointed when the Badlands came out. I bought it upon its release and I was quite not impressed. You picked a good song for the show though.

And I know it's overplayed, but Dream On is spectacular. I almost forwarded through it, but I decided to listen through and I'm glad I did.

Man In The Box-I bought Facelift when it came out. It came with a VHS of 4 live tracks. I generally liked it, but I wasn't wowed by it. I actually remember thinking it was a second rate Armored Saint. I never followed up with them after that. I actually saw them twice in '91.

Modern Day Cowboy- This came out in the fall of '86. I remember driving back to college from home on a Sunday night. I heard Modern Day Cowboy on the radio and I was blown away. It was classic, but fresh. When I got to school, I literally called the radio station to find out who and what that was.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
One of my top 3 Tesla tracks, and by far my fave from MR.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Love hearing Chinatown in the classic block

Such a great fucking song.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks for all that Tim - it is all about the vibe  ;D  (that will mean more to Aussies......local movie )

I try to make the regular shows (no theme) a combination of taking us back to the classics of our childhood + a bit of a roulette without all the work :)

Alejandro Silva is just instrumental to the best of my knowledge - I have a few albums around that I still haven't checked out.

Modern Day Cowboy got lots of play from me back in the day - but as I have mentioned before Tesla were about as rare as Alejandro Silva out here - never made radio at all.

I can't say I recall hearing Dream On on commercial radio either, so not overplayed from my point of view :)  - it's a miracle how any of us Aussies discovered good music back in the day.  Lots of digging through magazines and finding the right people to talk to about music.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:23:45 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks for all that Tim - it is all about the vibe  ;D  (that will mean more to Aussies......local movie )

Oh, Brent, hell yes, good one, I totally get that, that is such a great classic movie........

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Live clip from King Diamond DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwG0uzbffbU

Fuckin' good.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:52:43 PM by wolfking »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Looks great! :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

It's rare that I pick a song and think everyone will love it - I generally have one or two of you in mind for each track.

Thankfully Tim wasn't my target with the Icon track.  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

It's rare that I pick a song and think everyone will love it - I generally have one or two of you in mind for each track.

Mission accomplished obviously.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Mission accomplished obviously.

I have been known to play something just to get on Tim's nerves (at Ben's request) so I might have accomplished multiple mission objectives   ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:58:26 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, just finished the show!

:clap:

Loved it. Really well balanced show and very enjoyable. That Avalon band is pretty good. I enjoyed that. I definitely preferred the singer on the second album you featured.

I have to say...Extreme just does not do it for me.

Oh and I forgot, that Xentrix tune was...interesting. It was awesome, but damn  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Tim :tup

There are parts to the Xentrix that I really like but I think it's their inability to work a decent verse lyric in there that throws things off - it does sound rather weird.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Alejandro Silva is on Spotify. I Saved his albums. He released an album last year. Listening to it now.
AMAZING!! :hefdaddy

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
great show!  Started off strong with a few gems like the Silva, Xentrix, and Trail of Murder.  Then from Dream On through the end was an even higher level of awesome.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Great to hear - thanks Jon  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll finish off the last hour, but thinking about it, this has been one of your most enjoyable podcasts Brent, and I haven't finished.  Sometimes those random playlist 'pick whatever the fuck I feel like' type of thing works the best than trying to fit a specific theme.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'll finish off the last hour, but thinking about it, this has been one of your most enjoyable podcasts Brent, 

Well, for me, it was so refreshing after playing roulettes the last few months, trying to discover new music, etc...

This has a great "sit back, put your feet up" feel to it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll finish off the last hour, but thinking about it, this has been one of your most enjoyable podcasts Brent, and I haven't finished.  Sometimes those random playlist 'pick whatever the fuck I feel like' type of thing works the best than trying to fit a specific theme.

I agree - they also take about 90% less work.   

That's why I did one and released it before the 2017 shows (which were already in the can) - to break things up a bit and get back to a more casual style show.  I will be trying to do more of these shows and less of the themed stuff moving forward.

www.theguitardojo.com.au