Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908394 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
You know a band has put out quality when a song released in 2018 can sum up and represent everything one likes in metal ie. Dust to Dust.  Could become my song on the year.

I was just thinking that tune is probably my third favorite, after the title track and We Will Rise.

Regarding my comment about the band in the other thread -- with everything those guys have gone through since first getting back together in late 2009, and all the starts and stops trying to make a new record, all the positivity surrounding it has really been appreciated. Trust me when I tell you, since 2009, then have gone through four different lead singer options, replacing and then re-replacing the drummer when Ken Mary came back, and then Ed took a hiatus, which then forced everyone else to come up with songs. And they weren't sure if Kendall's voice would work. They had started doing songs for what would become this record in 2010. I have those demos (and none of those ended up on the album). And it took eight years to really make it happen. To say they are elated that people are enjoying the record would be an understatement. A good boost of confidence as they play gigs (festivals mostly) next year, and do a follow-up album (featuring Ed in the mix again as well).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Dust to Dust is a fantastic song.  And for me there is no filler on this disc. 

The guys should be proud of this one and motivated to make more music.

Offline Lowdz

I really haven’t enjoyed much lately but the Fifth Angel is a real standout.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You know a band has put out quality when a song released in 2018 can sum up and represent everything one likes in metal ie. Dust to Dust.  Could become my song on the year.

I was just thinking that tune is probably my third favorite, after the title track and We Will Rise.

Regarding my comment about the band in the other thread -- with everything those guys have gone through since first getting back together in late 2009, and all the starts and stops trying to make a new record, all the positivity surrounding it has really been appreciated. Trust me when I tell you, since 2009, then have gone through four different lead singer options, replacing and then re-replacing the drummer when Ken Mary came back, and then Ed took a hiatus, which then forced everyone else to come up with songs. And they weren't sure if Kendall's voice would work. They had started doing songs for what would become this record in 2010. I have those demos (and none of those ended up on the album). And it took eight years to really make it happen. To say they are elated that people are enjoying the record would be an understatement. A good boost of confidence as they play gigs (festivals mostly) next year, and do a follow-up album (featuring Ed in the mix again as well).

Do you have any connections with them mate?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just checked out this track from the Three Tremors;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_qEDLpOprM

Even though I think it made me lactose intolerant now, it's pretty rocking.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah that’s definitely a rocking tune. I’m leaning towards picking this one up

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
To me it sounds like most stuff that Peck has been involved in - straight ahead metal that is competent enough but lacking memorable passages and sounding like it was written from the same recipe book as a million other songs.

Stuff like this gives me an even better appreciation for what Priest achieved with Firepower (even though I would like to cut 2-3 tracks that I consider "filler")
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
To me it sounds like most stuff that Peck has been involved in - straight ahead metal that is competent enough but lacking memorable passages and sounding like it was written from the same recipe book as a million other songs.

Stuff like this gives me an even better appreciation for what Priest achieved with Firepower (even though I would like to cut 2-3 tracks that I consider "filler")

It reminded me a little of Death Dealer but better with better production.  I know what you are saying though Brent.

I spun Firepower the other day and it's still really good.  I agree cutting a few tracks would almost make it classic.  I'd go;

Firepower
Lightning Strikes
Evil Never Dies
Never the Heroes
Guardians
Rising From Ruins
Spectre
Traitors Gate
No Surrender
Sea of Red

One of Necromancer or Children of the Sun would probably go in as that's only 9 songs, probably Necromancer, I find both a little meh, but that track list there is killer.  Short but no filler.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So tickets for KISS go on sale next week ............for a concert in Novermber 2019  :eek

Is it just me or are ticket lead times getting bloody ridiculous?  They now want to earn interest on your money per annum.  I know we're talking KI$$ here but it's a trend across the board in recent years.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's crazy. Yes, this trend is nuts.

I saw two shows this year, Helloween and Michael Schenker, and tickets for each went on sale almost a year ahead of time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok, so this is crazy. And I am not sure how it is going to sound either.

Fifth Angel is headlining the 9th annual Metal Assault Festival this coming February in Germany. Direct support on the bill? Geoff Tate's Operation: Mindcrime, which is playing a set of tunes from the EP through Rage for Order. I know they can downtune, but seriously, how the hell is Tate going to pull that off legitimately? He's singing better, but man. Of course, if I lived in Germany, I'd be there...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Lowdz

So tickets for KISS go on sale next week ............for a concert in Novermber 2019  :eek

Is it just me or are ticket lead times getting bloody ridiculous?  They now want to earn interest on your money per annum.  I know we're talking KI$$ here but it's a trend across the board in recent years.

Just booked mine for July. Taking Mrs Lowdz for a romantic night away 😜

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
That's crazy. Yes, this trend is nuts.

I saw two shows this year, Helloween and Michael Schenker, and tickets for each went on sale almost a year ahead of time.

The trend is out of hand, but I think its unfortunately necessary. There's so much competition in the marketplace, if you don't book ahead of time and market it, you'll lose sales to competing entertainment. Especially with expensive shows. I mean with KISS - those tickets are a big investment, and you want people to spend that cash, so you give them a ton of lead time to make sure nothing is on the calendar.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok, so this is crazy. And I am not sure how it is going to sound either.

Fifth Angel is headlining the 9th annual Metal Assault Festival this coming February in Germany. Direct support on the bill? Geoff Tate's Operation: Mindcrime, which is playing a set of tunes from the EP through Rage for Order. I know they can downtune, but seriously, how the hell is Tate going to pull that off legitimately? He's singing better, but man. Of course, if I lived in Germany, I'd be there...

Interesting that Fifth Angel are headlining with Tate supporting. 

Yeah, hard to see them doing the early songs much justice at all.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tate has been sounding better recently so I guess this will be a test to see how he does.  You can’t expect classic Tate but as long as he does a respectable job, that’s all you can ask. Will it happen, who knows but at least he is pulling out some of the metal songs people want to hear and making an effort to sing them.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Tate has been sounding better recently so I guess this will be a test to see how he does.  You can’t expect classic Tate but as long as he does a respectable job, that’s all you can ask. Will it happen, who knows but at least he is pulling out some of the metal songs people want to hear and making an effort to sing them.

I haven't checked out any live videos from him for a while, so I'm actually glad to hear that he has improved.

Offline Lowdz

Tate is playing 30 miles from me in a few weeks time. Might just have to go and see i& the voice is improved.

For anyone loving the new FFth Angel, the new one from Icarus Witch is worth a listen. Far better than solid. I’ve just bought it after listening on Spotify.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I thought I dropped the needle on Icarus Witch. I'll give it a full on go tonight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Listened to the Red Dragon Cartel and it’s poor. Would be ok but the shit singer ruins it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wasn't that the same description of the first album? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Listened to the Red Dragon Cartel and it’s poor. Would be ok but the shit singer ruins it.

Don't like Darren Smith on the mic?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Don't like Darren Smith on the mic?

No. Awful. I was looking forward to the return of Jake but it hasn’t been worth it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Came across this video a few weeks ago and have been hooked - these girls rock!   All female metal band from Switzerland:

Burning Witches:  Hexenhammer  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OCmwMFKDlE

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I literally saw that video this afternoon.

The singer sounds like Mike Howe....with a wig.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I was listening to the Fifth Angel album today, which may crack the 2018 Top 5, and I couldn't help but crave some actual Dio.

I thought I'd pull out The Devil You Know. I believe Dio was fantastic on this, his last album. However.....this album blows. It's a f'n plodothon on par with Angry Machines. What suckage. It's like they had no real interest in actually making an album.

I like Bible Black and Neverwhere, but this has to be one on my least favorite Dio related albums. EASILY.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
So I was listening to the Fifth Angel album today, which may crack the 2018 Top 5, and I couldn't help but crave some actual Dio.

I thought I'd pull out The Devil You Know. I believe Dio was fantastic on this, his last album. However.....this album blows. It's a f'n plodothon on par with Angry Machines. What suckage. It's like they had no real interest in actually making an album.

I like Bible Black and Neverwhere, but this has to be one on my least favorite Dio related albums. EASILY.

I was never high on The Devil You Know. If memory serves, the three new studio tracks on Black Sabbath: The Dio Years, which came out before that, were superior to The Devil You Know in every regard. Been awhile since I listened to that stuff though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I was never high on The Devil You Know. If memory serves, the three new studio tracks on Black Sabbath: The Dio Years, which came out before that, were superior to The Devil You Know in every regard. Been awhile since I listened to that stuff though.

They were.  Those extra tracks were great.  I don't even remember much from TDYK, never thought it was that good either, which is a shame.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
If memory serves, the three new studio tracks on Black Sabbath: The Dio Years, which came out before that, were superior to The Devil You Know in every regard.

They were.  Those extra tracks were great. 

Huh.. Must've been a huge oversight on my part. I don't have copies of these tracks. Just bought the digital tracks.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Just put on those three tracks now. Good shit.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
My thought is that Tim would like Ear In The Wall, but would think The Devil Cried and Shadow Of The Wind blows because of their plodding riffs.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My thought is that Tim would like Ear In The Wall, but would think The Devil Cried and Shadow Of The Wind blows because of their plodding riffs.

Dude, it's like you're in my living room listening along with me! :lol

Yes the plodding of the first two songs is a challenge to get through. I just don't like my music that way. The Devil Cried has a great solo which makes it palatable, and I love the mellower part in Shadow where Dio shines.

And hell yes Ear In The Wall :metal But that solo is wretched. :lol 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
As I was listening to Ear in the Wall, I was thinking -- Tim will love this one.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Ear was the one I knew Tim would dig also.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni