Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908569 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nobody makes leather and whips look more cooler than Rob Halford  :metal

oh hell yeah baby!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Second time through the Fifth Angel was better. I didn't get the Dioesqueness (sp?). That perspective helped. It's heavy. It's cool, but I'm still missing a certain spark.

Really?  I don't know how one could not think of Dio listening to this album.  I've listened through it once and on my second spin now, up to Queen of Thieves.  That song is brutal, that, the title track and I think End of Days or something are my favs so far. 

The album does seem slightly short and ended quicker than I expected.  But man, Kendall can sing and play.  It was great to hear his lead playing and even only knowing him from Time Will Tell, his style and sound are instantly recognizable and sounds like Fifith Angel.  Dunno if it's a home run yet, but a very strong album.

Offline Heavy Metal Hippie

Yeah. It's super obvious.
Don't know why I didn't get it, but apart from the singing, I was hearing a strong Maiden influence.
Okay, how can I atone for that ? I guess listening to Holy Diver and The Last In Line should do it.   

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Kendall's vocals are indeed a cross between Dio and some other influences. I really like the record. I do think the rhythm guitars aren't as dynamic, but that'll change once Ed is on the next record. To me, The Third Secret is a nice restart to the band. I expect the next one to be the home run. Fingers-crossed. But  am still enjoying this one and hope they do a warmup show again in Seattle.

I know there is a new NW Metal Festival scheduled for March 2. Bands yet to be announced, but I am pretty sure that Q5 is playing, so I am hoping with a new record, Fifth Angel headlines it.

p.s. I love the song We Will Rise. That solo is classic Kendall Bechtel.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:30:18 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I just saw Eden's Curse has a best of coming out!  WTF?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A Best Of what?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A Best Of what?

:lol

I really like their first 4 albums but the last one was shit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I also saw Frontiers releasing an 'ultimate' Jorn boxset with all his albums, live albums and bonus stuff but doesn't include his debut album Starfire!!?

:rollin

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
A Best Of what?

Symphony of Sin.  I dug that.  Or did they have a release since then?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A Best Of what?

Symphony of Sin.  I dug that.  Or did they have a release since then?

Their last one was called Carnival.  Should be called Crapival.

Symphony of Sin might be my fav, that's a wonderful melodic rock album.  Lots of songs but no real filler IMO and the vocals are awesome.  I was so pumped for Crapival so was so let down.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The new Fifth Angel is all kinds of awesome! It doesn’t sound much like the first two Fifth Angel albums, but it’s still a classic metal sounding album and the Dio vibe is constant throughout.

It’s not going to top Judas Priest for me, but there is no question it will be my second album of the year.

Also has anyone by chance checked out that Three Tremors album? I’ve been on the fence for that one

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I also saw Frontiers releasing an 'ultimate' Jorn boxset with all his albums, live albums and bonus stuff but doesn't include his debut album Starfire!!?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The new Fifth Angel is all kinds of awesome! It doesn’t sound much like the first two Fifth Angel albums, but it’s still a classic metal sounding album and the Dio vibe is constant throughout.

It’s not going to top Judas Priest for me, but there is no question it will be my second album of the year.

Also has anyone by chance checked out that Three Tremors album? I’ve been on the fence for that one

I forgot about that one.  I'll try and get onto to that one Jason.  I'm not expecting much from it though to be honest.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm trying to catch up on releases new and ones that have gone past.

I tried listening to the second Almanac album and found it balnd, boring and generic with crappy melodies.  Got halfway through.

Also tried the new Black Majesty but the production was so muddled and brickwalled that it's really hard to enjoy the songs.  First couple of songs seemed pretty okay but production kills it.  Roland Grapow should stick to songwriting and playing the guitar, not producing.

Checked out a bit of the latest Chris Caffery and while it seems like a step up on his last one, still couldn't be bothered getting through the whole thing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Kendall's vocals are indeed a cross between Dio and some other influences.

p.s. I love the song We Will Rise. That solo is classic Kendall Bechtel.

I hear some Ripper Owens. Not sure who influenced who...

I also love We Will Rise. That chorus is unreal.

Sam, since you're familiar with them, does Kendall cite Michael Schenker as an influence?

The beginning of Can You Hear Me reminds me a lot of Tales Of Mystery and the intro riff to Shame On You is CLASSIC Schenker.

The thing I love about Can You Hear Me is that when it begins, I automatically think "obligatory ballad" but it's a great tune. Again, I think the vocals are fantastic and take the song to another level.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Checked out a bit of the latest Chris Caffery and while it seems like a step up on his last one, still couldn't be bothered getting through the whole thing.

I could barely hum a song from Caffery's solo stuff.   Good guitarist etc......but without riding on the coat tails of the Oliva brothers , I'm not sure he would've made much of an impact in the songwriting stakes.  I don't have everything he has done mind you .   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I tried listening to the second Almanac album and found it balnd, boring and generic with crappy melodies.  Got halfway through.

Also tried the new Black Majesty but the production was so muddled and brickwalled that it's really hard to enjoy the songs.  First couple of songs seemed pretty okay but production kills it.  Roland Grapow should stick to songwriting and playing the guitar, not producing.

Almanac-Don't really know what all the hubbub was about their last one TBH. I had zero interest in the latest one.

Black Majesty-Haven't gotten around to it. It's not that I don't like them, but I kind of already know what I'm going to hear.

Chris Caffery -So I honestly don't know much about him other than he's in Savatage. Months ago, when his new album broke, I thought I'd give it a listen on Spotify with open ears. Holy shit did it blow. Talk about boring hard rock by numbers..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I could barely hum a song from Caffery's solo stuff.   Good guitarist etc......but without riding on the coat tails of the Oliva brothers , I'm not sure he would've made much of an impact in the songwriting stakes.  I don't have everything he has done mind you .

I do agree, although I quite liked his first two album. (Faces and God Damn War)

He definitely wouldn’t be able to make records if he wasn't in Savatage.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Almanac-Don't really know what all the hubbub was about their last one TBH. I had zero interest in the latest one.

Black Majesty-Haven't gotten around to it. It's not that I don't like them, but I kind of already know what I'm going to hear.

Chris Caffery -So I honestly don't know much about him other than he's in Savatage. Months ago, when his new album broke, I thought I'd give it a listen on Spotify with open ears. Holy shit did it blow. Talk about boring hard rock by numbers..

You are pretty much on the money mate.  I thought the first Almanac was good but I think the novelty quickly wore off going into the second album.

Yeah the Black Majesty is the same thing yet again mate. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree re Almanac.     I rated the first one but the second was just a pale imitation of the first and quite disappointing.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ironically, I just listened to Tsar earlier tonight while walking the dogs.  Great album.  Their follow up... not so much.  Bland and forgettable for sure.

New King Company album was very enjoyable.  I enjoyed it more than the debut.

Agree on Black Majesty.  Wasn't bad, but there was something missing to make it a good/great album.

What else... I really liked Manimal/Purgatoria; Dynazty was more of the usual - enjoyable, but not something I'm gonna go back to very often; ditto on Mob Rules.

That's about it for the bands worthy of this thread.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Chad, you turned me on to Manimal, who I thought was great. I checked their new album and it blows big ass chunks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Even though I may get thrown out of here but I did pick up the new Vega and I think it's...........er, I guess I better take it elsewhere.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Even though I may get thrown out of here but I did pick up the new Vega and I think it's...........er, I guess I better take it elsewhere.

I'm going elsewhere too - at least until I get visions of "big ass chunks" out of my head.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I fucking knew that was coming from some asshole. But I thought, nah, that's too easy.

:lol :lol

WTF are you doing in here anyway? ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I'm the kind of asshole who takes the easy ones. :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm going elsewhere too - at least until I get visions of "big ass chunks" out of my head.

It has some really cool melodic rock songs on it even though it's pretty light.  Although the solo are possibly some of the worst, shittiest and sloppiest guitar playing I've ever heard.  How they all approved some of these solos is beyond me.  I should send them an email.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I kind of agree with Tim, going back to the Fifth Angel in regards to the last song.  I don't think the last song is bad or anything, but Shame on You is the perfect 'second last' track on the album, but then the last song also sounds like a 'second last' song on an album.  It needed something bigger to finish the album off IMO.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You know a band has put out quality when a song released in 2018 can sum up and represent everything one likes in metal ie. Dust to Dust.  Could become my song on the year.