Author Topic: Happy Equinox, DTF!  (Read 1038 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Happy Equinox, DTF!
« on: September 23, 2014, 06:38:56 AM »
Except today, at my latitude (40 50.7' N), there are 12 hours and 9 minutes of sunlight.  Thursday has 12 hours, 1 minute, and Friday has 11 hours 58 minutes.  Seems to me the equinox should be sometime during Thursday or Friday  ???

Edit: It's a matter of definition.  Equilux is what I am thinking of, where periods of light and dark are equal.  From wikipedia:

The equinox is not exactly the same as the day when period of daytime and night are of equal length for two reasons. Firstly, sunrise, which begins daytime, occurs when the top of the Sun's disk rises above the eastern horizon. At that instant, the disk's center is still below the horizon. Secondly, Earth's atmosphere refracts sunlight. As a result, an observer sees daylight before the first glimpse of the Sun's disk above the horizon. To avoid this ambiguity, the word equilux is sometimes used to mean a day on which the periods of daylight and night are equal.

Now that I've solved that, Happy Equinox!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 07:13:15 AM by jasc15 »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Happy Equinox, DTF!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 06:59:19 AM »
It happened at 8:29 pm local time last night. And I missed it!  :'(
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 07:31:37 AM »
I for one welcome our new Autumnal Overlords.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:51:34 AM »
Well, here in Phoenix you'd never know it.  Still 100 degrees.  No such thing as Fall.  >:(
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 09:26:52 AM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 10:26:12 AM »
Hello, and welcome to another addition of PuffyPat's 373 part series: 'Mandatory Equinox Listening.' Today I would like to present one of my absolute favorite jazz standards entitled 'Equinox.'

This particular piece, like many of favorite standards, was written and originally performed by, the man himself, John Coltrane with a little help from Steve Davis on bass, McCoy Tyner on piano, and the legendary Elvin Jones on drums. It appeared on the 1964 album 'Coltrane Sound' with a couple of my other favorite Coltrane charts 'Body and Soul' and 'Central Park West.' I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Stay classy, DTF.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:44:50 AM by PuffyPat »
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.