Author Topic: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Numero Uno  (Read 26569 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Escalate from the norm
« Reply #245 on: December 02, 2014, 02:45:43 PM »
My favorite Rush album.  Great choice

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Escalate from the norm
« Reply #246 on: December 02, 2014, 02:47:30 PM »
You've lost me with this top ten, sans-Awake.  Still watching from the bushes tho.

Glad to know you're still around

Well, to clarify, I've never been able to get into Porcupine Tree.  Something about it just falls flat for me.  I've tried Fear of a Blank Planet, In Absentia and The Incident and nothing.  But I can see why they're so respected, and that's cool.

Rush is a similar kinda thing.  I've listened to Moving Pictures a lot, but I still can't get fanboy about them like so many people do.  But I appreciate them, sure.

Devin Townsend and Haken are names I see bandied about alot in these forums but I've never checked them out.  I think I've lost a bit of passion for the prog metal.  Nowadays I enjoy things that are simpler but say a lot more; I dont have the patience to sit through lush prog movements much anymore :lol

Please, continue. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #247 on: December 03, 2014, 06:06:17 AM »
You've lost me with this top ten, sans-Awake.  Still watching from the bushes tho.

Well, to clarify, I've never been able to get into Porcupine Tree.  Something about it just falls flat for me.  I've tried Fear of a Blank Planet, In Absentia and The Incident and nothing.  But I can see why they're so respected, and that's cool.

Rush is a similar kinda thing.  I've listened to Moving Pictures a lot, but I still can't get fanboy about them like so many people do.  But I appreciate them, sure.

ohmygod let's be friends
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #248 on: December 03, 2014, 02:56:33 PM »

ohmygod let's be friends

done and <3

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #249 on: December 03, 2014, 04:34:49 PM »
<3

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #250 on: December 04, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »
Well, what can I say about this next album?
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

THE GLORIOUS TEN

At number four, metal in all its glory.

MEGADETH

RUST IN PRESENTS PEACE
Motherfucking top notch thrash technical metal, 1990

Now, I'll get this straight. I don't like Megadeth THAT much. Yes, it's one of my favorite bands, but they almost never really had something that awesome and jaw dropping, like so many of my other favorite bands, except for Rust In Peace.

Rust In Peace has everything you may desire from a metal record. It has balls, it's gnarly, it's performed perfectly, it's pretty melodic and the lyrics are  :heart . Of course, the only minor complaint is Mustaine's tone, but he's actually pretty great in this one. Holy shit this album is stunning from start to finish, and it's one of the very few that doesn't let down even from one second.

The album starts with a great classic, that every metalhead should know from top to bottom, Holy Wars... The Punishment Due is a two-part piece, that starts out fast and after a beautiful spanish guitar interlude, slows down the pace, but not the heaviness. And after that you get a glorious guitar solo that goes back into the first part. With lyrics dealing with the Gulf War (I think so, at least), Holy Wars is truly an awesome classic, and a perfect opener. Next, there's one of my all time favorites, Hangar 18. This song has a cool groove and catchy vocals, but what makes this song a masterpiece, is easily the instrumental section. Starting with a bit of an arabic solo, the piece starts groovin' out like never and the battle between Friedman and Mustaine ensues between these solos and it all climaxes in a double-pedal furious outro. Also, this piece is great to see live, as you do this: dundudndund ME GA DETH dudududdudu ME GA DETH. Hangar 18 is also cool because it's about Area 51 and all its misteries, and I was always fascinated by it, and so it's really cool to have a song about it. Take No Prisoners is pretty heavy, I love the alternation between riff and bass lines, and it's also catchy as hell. Especially the outro. Five Magics is the proggy piece of the record, I love everything about it, from the time changes, to the vocal effects. Poison Was The Cure is fucking fast. Jesus. After that cool bass intro, the song begins out of nowhere and you're there like  :omg: :omg: :omg: :metal :metal :metal. The rest of the two minutes is pure killing, and hearing assault goodness. Lucretia has a cool vibe, the solo in there is also one of my absolute favorite solos ever; I love the groove in this song, and it always brings me back to the times when I started listening to 'Deth, around 2011. Tornado Of Souls is another classic, the solo in there is once again, plain awesome. And before the final track, there's Dawn Patrol which is basically a bass solo with words on top. And those lyrics are amazing, about the consequences of a nuclear war. And that nuclear war is told in the title-track: Rust In Peace... Polaris starts out with a great drum intro and the song goes in 6/8 and, even if it's kinda repetitive, it's great. The second part? Even more so. That fucking ending. POLARIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSS

So, all in all, amazing, masterpiece, I just wish that Megadeth put up more albums like this one. I really can't get that into their other back catalogue albums, except Killing Is My Business. That's a great one too.

Oh also, I'm sad about the recent news. Let's see what the Daves brings us next.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
To quote my post in the Megadeth thread:

If the RIP lineup doesn't come back, I would LOVE to see DeGrasso back in Megadeth. Have you seen She Wolf live with his drum solo? FLAWLESS :metal

Oh, and speaking of RIP, you should check out my top 50 albums thread in fifteen minutes  :biggrin:

Finally, something in your top ten I can dig!

Great choice man, you started listening to Megadeth around the same time as me :lol

To me, this is the album that proves Megadeth's prowess over Metallica - at least in regards to thrash.  Its 'tallica counterpart being AJFA in '88, this album is eons tighter, heavier and polished (and needless to say, has waaaay better production).  And there isn't a riff in all thrash metal that grooves as sweet as the main riff in the title track.  The whole album is just fucking amazing. 

You're missing out on a lot of good shit by only digging this and KIMB!  No love for So Far So Good.. So What?  The remaster is much easier to stomach.  Youthanasia - omg so goooood.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I've always stayed away from Megadeth because thrash is not exactly my cup of tea, but I'll check this record out on weekend.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Rust In Peace :metal What a collection of songs on here, gotdamn.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #254 on: December 04, 2014, 09:43:59 PM »
Now, I'll get this straight. I don't like Megadeth THAT much. Yes, it's one of my favorite bands, but they almost never really had something that awesome and jaw dropping, like so many of my other favorite bands, except for Rust In Peace.

You know, Peace Sells is pretty awesome too  :'(
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline mikemangioy

Well, I know some songs of course (like the title track and wake up dead) but I never really got into that album much.
and also, from so far so good so what, there's in my darkest hour and hook in mouth which are great songs.

Another album I enjoy by Megadeth is The System Has Failed.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
I haven't listened to this album in a while, but I should. It truly deserves to be one of the milestones of metal in general. Stunning album, beginning to end (and excluding Dawn Patrol). The solo in Tornado of Souls is mindblowing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just went through the whole list, lots of stuff I haven't heard that I'll have the check out.

I think having the shorter version of "Even Less" was the right thing to do, I think it would've dragged on. I agree with most of your PT ratings however I never got the love for Deadwing

Offline mikemangioy

Before I unveil my top 3 albums, here are some albums that didn't make the cut!

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Episode 2 - The actual honorable mentions.

AVENGED SEVENFOLD - AVENGED SEVENFOLD

A7X are kind of a hit or miss band. They're pretty low on my top artists list, but they do have some great songs. What I mostly don't like about them is that they are pretty repetitive, and I don't really dig M.Shadows. I find his voice a little annoying, but when he uses it properly, he's amazing. With that said, this record is the complete opposite of my critics towards them: it's pretty experimental. It has songs that have an orchestra or a brass section (Afterlife, my favorite A7X song, and A Little Piece Of Heaven) and also some country atmospheres (Gunslinger, Dear God). Along with A7X's classic sound, this album has a groove metal feel to it that I really like. Songs like Scream and Critical Acclaim are examples of this. Great record.

PANTERA - VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER

This is another band that I like, but compared to other bands just falls pretty low on my list. But this album is godly. It's one of the manliest, heaviest and ballsy album I've ever heard, and the initial song run is such a tremendous succession of songs. Classics, hidden gems, whichever, this is a truly solid album.

GOJIRA - FROM MARS TO SIRIUS

Holy shit, Gojira are awesome. They sound very unique, and I can't classify them with any subgenre. They're french. That hits me, because this is one of the heaviest band that I know about, seriously, some of the riffs these guys write can tear down cities. This record is a good example of that: straight out of the gate you start with Ocean Planet, that has an iconic riff. I love the technicality. Then the album goes on with great songs like  Backbone (props to Mario Duplantier), the amazing Heaviest Matter In The Universe , and the fan-favorite, Flying Whales. That song contains what I define the heaviest riff ever. Truly an interesting listen, check it out if you haven't.

DEEP PURPLE - MACHINE HEAD

Well, this is a classic album. What can you say about it? It has Smoke On The Water, the most known guitar riff in history. It has Highway Star, one of the greatest concert openers ever. It's an album that contribuited for sure in the creation of Heavy Metal. Everyone is at the top of their game here, especially Blackmore and Ian Paice. That guy is a beast  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
This is a must. EVERYONE has to hear it.

Other H.M.: Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV, Nirvana - Nevermind, Sabaton - Heroes, Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle, Caparezza - Le Dimensioni Del Mio Caos, Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories), U2 - Achtung Baby.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Before the podium
« Reply #259 on: December 08, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
Machine Head is quite good, I would say. Pictures of Home, Lazy, Smoke on the Water and Highway Star are all brilliant, but sadly the rest of material is lacking, so I can understand why it isn't in your Top 50.

Offline mikemangioy

Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Before the podium
« Reply #260 on: December 12, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »
THE PODIUM
Episode One: A cheesy voyage through the human's conscious.

#3: AYREON - THE HUMAN EQUATION

Aaah. Finally the top three. And it kicks off with Arjen's masterpiece.

The Human Equation is everything that you may want from a music record. It has a variety of genres in it, the songs are soaking with emotions, the instrumentation is top notch, the song writing is top notch, the lyrics even if they are kinda cheesy, they are pretty deep, and they're laid out in a extremely cool way.

THE talks about a man who falls in a coma, and he has this confrontation with his various emotions, embodied by a HOLY SHIT cast of singers.
The thing is: you pop in the first CD, you hear the first track, which is an intro, and the actual record starts:
"Hey, that's JLB." one line later "Hey, that's Mikael Akerfeldt" - and that just makes the record, even the beginning. So, yeah, THE opens with Vigil, an intro sang by Arjen himself (who plays the Best Friend) and Marcela Bovio (the wife). I like these persons' voices, Arjen's vocals really remind me of The Beatles and other 60's british invasion stuff, whilist Marcela's voice is really sweet.
After that there's Isolation, which is easily one of the best openers I've ever had the pleasure to hear. The transition from the intro to the riff is godly.
NO ONE HERE IS DANCING TO YOUR TUNE....

DJUNT DJUNT nu-nunununu-nununu
DJUNT DJUNT nu-nununununu

that's one great riff. The song goes from a really catchy chorus to a synth interlude which leads in a very nice keyboard solo. Pain is the next track, here mr. Devin Townsend makes an appearance for the first time (it's a shame that he appears just three times in the record, I really love his work in it), and he plays Rage. Pain is a very dark song, but the chorus kinda brings back bit of happiness.
The first part of the record goes on and on, with awesomely complex songs such as Voices, and pure radio-friendly pieces, like Hope. School is another highlight of the first half of the album, I really love the chugging chorus that alternates with the calm and desolate verses. And dat orchestral section. But what takes the cake? Love. Love does. Love is one of those songs that you hear for the first time and you're there like  :omg: :hefdaddy :hefdaddy - and the good thing is that it's a pretty simple song. But it strucks you with the powerful chorus and Jesus Christ, Mikeal's INCREDIBLE performance - he just sings one line in the song but oh God, that's like my favorite thing he had ever recorded. Vocally, that is. So yeah, the first bit closes with Love which is a masterpiece.

And the second? It opens with yet another masterpiece, under the name of Trauma. This here is one of the best intros ever.

We. Won't. Let you go.
Take. You. Down below.
Dark. Crypts. Of your soul.
Locked inside your hee(*synth grows*)eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead...

YOU'RE BETTER OFF DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAD

Once again, mr. Mikael Akerfeldt.
Trauma is a funereal, dark song, almost doom metal-ish, the second part has some of the best emotional parts of the record.

Pride is a really cool song, easily one of the most heavy in the album, it has a nice groove to it and a nice folk breakdown. The album's full with those, but the only song in it that has complete folk atmospheres is Loser. It has a really cool vibe, with those mean cheesy lyrics, sung in an even cheesier way, but everythings collapses when Devin finishes the song in glory  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy - The rest of the album is all pretty emotional, because of plot reasons, that I won't spoil, but I will spoil that this record ends on a rather unexpected way. Hm.

So yeah, The Human Equation. Godly stuff. Variety, cheesiness (which is not necessarily a bad thing), philosophical stuff, top notch singer cast and possibly my favorite Akerfeldt performance. Also, I don't mind James in this album. He doesn't quite stand out, but his performance is great, and he makes this album memorable.

Great.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
You're fighting back the tears.

Just listened to this today, still as great as on the first listen. Never gets old, this one.

Edit: and I actually think this is one of the best James' performances ever.

And I'm seeing this performed live in September.  :angel: Damn, I just can't wait.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:19:40 PM by Evermind »

Offline Anguyen92

I do say that I enjoyed A7X's self-titled the most in their catalog.  Dear God, Lost, Gunslinger, Afterlife, and A Little Piece of Heaven are my faves.

Enjoyed The Human Equation as well.  Enjoyed Day Fourteen: Pride, the most, especially during that bridge with that flute? bit which lead to the guitar solo coming in.  I despise Loser.  It makes me want to punch the father of the story in the face.

Dang.  That's two albums that I considered putting on my top 50 albums thread when that time will come for me to do one.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Can't say I'm much of a fan of A7X. I've also been meaning to give Gojira a listen as well.

The Human Equation is fantastic. Arjen's a genius, and it's definitely one of JLB's best performances on any album he's been in.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I've never thought of THE as cheesy. Sure, some moments might have some cheese, but overall it exceeds lots of operas and musicals out there - I'm looking at you, Disney. Really an eclectic yet accessible album. Fantastic.

Offline mikemangioy

I've never thought of THE as cheesy. Sure, some moments might have some cheese, but overall it exceeds lots of operas and musicals out there - I'm looking at you, Disney.

Ooh, I've never thought it that way. You've changed my mind :tup

Offline mikemangioy

NUMBAH TOO

THE PODIUM
Episode two: More than just a concept album

PINK FLOYD - THE WALL

Alright, the runner up of the whole list is an album that is truly special for me. It was like the introduction to a whole new world. I've got to tell you the whole story though:

Late 2011. I discover Rush and it was like finding something I've never listened to before. All these prog things, they were pretty new for me. Long songs? Stay away from me. Complexity? Go fuck your self. But songs like YYZ, Tom Sawyer and 2112 introduced me to a new world. This became even MORE true when in early 2012 there was a big snowstorm in my town, it snowed so much that a small town of central Italy became a small village in Alaska. 10 days. No school for 10 days, and those were pretty big news for the 7th grader that I was at the time. But it was pretty boring, admittedly. My father has always been a big Pink Floyd fan, he even went to see them during the AMLOR tour, in Monza. Being bored, I decided to watch a bootleg for Roger Waters' The Wall show. Bam. Hit.

The show was so incredible, so well-thought, and it brought to life the album, both on a musical level, on a visual level and in the concept level. I must have watched them bootlegs about 10 times. And thus, The Wall became my favorite thing of all time. At least it was like that for an year or so.

The album is not just that, some songs. This album is truly like a book, a movie, an experience. Out of all the concept albums that I enjoy, this is probably the most concept-y that I've ever heard. They even made a movie out of it  :hefdaddy

The music is great: we start with powerful songs such as In The Flesh and The Thin Ice, followed by the trifecta of ABITW part 1/HDOOL/ABITW part 2 and it's a really cool succession. Mother is one of my favorites, a nice ballad with a godlike solo, solos so emotional that only Gilmour can produce.
The album (and Pink's life) goes on, with its highs (Goodbye Blue Skies, Empty Spaces/Young Lust) and lows (Don't Leave Me Now), and when the first part finishes your there like ME WANT MOAR

The second part of The Wall is just as great as the first, if not better. It's for sure a bit more quiet and generic, but once again, that's part of the concept, and the story. Here we see Pink closed in his wall, and he's desperate about it. I've never heard songs so moving as Nobody Home or Hey You, and of course that motherfucking classic of Comfortably Numb. What an immortal piece of music. The second half of Part 2 is the more upbeat part of the album, with songs such as Waiting For The Worms and Run Like Hell. But my favorite song in the whole package is The Trial. It's like a sumup of everything lyrically and conceptually, and I love how Roger alone can impersonate so many different characters. He's an actor. Also, it's nothing of importance but the guitar slide is one of the best things ever. EVER.
After the climax The Wall closes with a happy song called Outside The Wall, a bit anti-climatic, and not the best closer ever, but still, when you listen to it, you look back and realize what the heck you've just listened to.

And I still do everytime I hear this masterpiece.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah man, The Wall is, well, The Wall. Truly a milestone of the genre and a masterpiece as well. Sadly, I missed Roger with his The Wall tour in 2011 I think, wasn't in the town at that day. And he didn't come back for the second leg of his tour, which I was kind of hoping he will. Anyway, I always have the movie. :)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Yeah man, The Wall is, well, The Wall.

Well put. Great, essential PF album. There's still quite a few I prefer over it, and for me it does have occasional filler, but it's ambitious and memorable.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah man, The Wall is, well, The Wall.

Well put. Great, essential PF album. There's still quite a few I prefer over it, and for me it does have occasional filler, but it's ambitious and memorable.
This.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Yeah, The Wall isn't even nearly my favourite Pink Floyd album and still it's fucking fantastic. You know, I actually wrote my university bachelor's degree thesis on the album - specifically on the difference between the album and the film. Great album, nice choice.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline mikemangioy

Tomorrow I'll unveil my favorite album. Meanwhile, you should try to guess: the first two who guess correctly will have a surprise in the future. If they join. You'll see what mean.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Putting a full recap of you list here would help guessing.  :biggrin:

Offline mikemangioy

dammit, you're right.

Ok recap coming your way in an hour or so.

Offline mikemangioy

50. Nevermore - Nevermore, 1995
49. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - U2, 2004
48. American Idiot - Green Day, 2004
47.Enter The Grave - Evile, 2007
46.Metallica - Metallica, 1991
45.Sheer Heart Attack - Queen, 1974
44.Universal Migrator Pt.1: The Dream Sequencer - Ayreon, 2000
43.Fragile - Yes, 1971
42.The Resistance - Muse, 2009
41.Visions - Haken, 2009
40.Dead Heart In A Dead World - Nevermore, 2000
39.Powerslave - Iron Maiden, 1984
38.In Utero - Nirvana, 1993
37.The 2nd Law - Muse, 2012
36.2112 - Rush, 1976
35.01011001 - Ayreon, 2009
34.Up The Downstair - Porcupine Tree, 1994
33.In Absentia - Porcupine Tree, 2002
32.Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence - Dream Theater, 2002
31.Steal This Album! - System Of A Down, 2002
30.Herzeleid - Rammstein, 1995
29.Master Of Puppets - Metallica, 1986
28.Museica - Caparezza, 2014
27.The Art Of War - Sabaton, 2008
26.Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da - Rammstein, 2009
25.Are You Kidding Me? No -. Destrage, 2014
24.And Justice For All - Metallica, 1988
23.Ki - Devin Townsend Project, 2009
22.Dream Theater - Dream Theater, 2013
21.21st Century Breakdown - Green Day, 2009
20.Stupid Dream - Porcupine Tree, 1999
19.Verità Supposte - Caparezza, 2003
18.Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd, 1975
17.Reise, Reise - Rammstein, 2004
16.Addicted - Devin Townsend Project, 2009
15.A Night At The Opera - Queen, 1975
14.Wasting Light - Foo Fighters, 2011
13.Epicloud - Devin Townsend Project, 2012
12.Fortress - Alter Bridge, 2013
11.Hypnotize - System Of A Down, 2005
10.Fear Of A Blank Planet - Porcupine Tree, 2007
09.Awake - Dream Theater, 1994
08.Deadwing - Porcupine Tree, 2005
07.The Mountain - Haken, 2013
06.Deconstruction - Devin Townsend, 2011
05.Moving Pictures - Rush, 1981
04.Rust In Peace - Megadeth, 1990
03.The Human Equation - Ayreon, 2003
02.The Wall - Pink Floyd, 1979
01.?????? - ?????, ????

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I think either I&W of SFAM. I'll go with SFAM.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I'm going with Green Day - Dookie. lol jk.

I honestly have no idea.  I really hope its not I&W or SFAM cos that would be zzzzzzzz.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I&W is my guess

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Alter Bridge - Blackbird or Train of Thought :coolio .

Offline mikemangioy

Alter Bridge - Blackbird or Train of Thought :coolio .

Well, Train Of Thought is in the honorable mentions.  :P