Poll

Have you seen DT on the Along for the Ride tour?

Yea!
67 (80.7%)
Nay!
14 (16.9%)
Don't remember
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: Have you seen DT on the Along for the Ride tour? Where? How was it?  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Re: Have you seen DT on the Along for the Ride tour? Where? How was it?
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2014, 09:28:10 PM »
I also saw them in DC, and it was awesome. Great sound, and a great performance. JLB killed it that night, and the rest of the band was in top form. MM could have been louder, and JR's solo in TSF was completely inaudible, but I otherwise had few issues.

This show also contained one of my favorite live moments... small pieces of dust and tile (I suppose) kept falling from the ceiling of the venue during the second act; it was actually very cool because it seemed like snow was falling on the stage at times.  JLB said (I'm paraphrasing) "what is this sh*t falling from the ceiling, I'm breathing it in!"

I remember that, though I thought that he was referring to the majesty logo on the floor.  :lol
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2014, 03:43:29 PM »
Boston
Riverside
Los Angeles

The Riverside show was surprisingly crushing.  Venue sounded great, whereas Boston was overly loud.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2014, 05:06:33 PM »
They didn't even come to Florida on this tour. Hopefully next year.

Offline Virtualman64

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2014, 06:51:46 AM »
Sorry to say no.But,they didn't come to Atlanta this tour.I had already saved up enough for the VIP package as well. 

Offline Invisible

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »
Buenos Aires here. Travelled almost a 1000km (roughly 600 miles) all night with three friends in one of my best friends car, listening to Scenes and SC and BC&SL all the way :metal, great roadtrip! Arrived early morning at Buenos Aires, slept, and then went to the concert. :biggrin:

It was really amazing, I'm only mildly dissappointed that because of this forum I already knew most highlights of the show but it still was one of the greatest concerts I've ever been. I didn't see the intermission though, there was a power outage right after it started that lasted for 15-20 or so minutes, but other than that it was perfect.

Highlights:
- Trial of Tears (tearjerker)
- Breaking All Illusions (DAT solo)
- Enigma Machine (I didn't care much for it in studio, turned out better live than I expected)
- The entire Awake section(missed 6:00 and CIAW but hey), the whole octave up James did in Space Dye Vest surprised the hell out of me, and again, DAT solo!!
- Illumination Theory: a monster live, one of my friends hadn't heard the new album and the first thing he said was "WTF!! HOW downtuned is that guitar?!?!?!?!" :lol

THE highlight: Overture 1928, gave me goosebumps and had all the crowd jumping like maniacs. Finally Free was excellent, but I sort of missed Pull Me Under. :P

The slight dissappointments:
- Enemy Inside and Looking Glass came out a little bland live.
- The Shattered Fortress is a great way of ending the suite, but doesn't do well on its own, not even live.

All in all, seeing these monsters perfomers breeze through all the incredibly challenging sections of their songs like it was nothing made my day. One thing is to listen to that in a studio, but seeing that they pull it off so seemingly effortless live is nothing short of jawdropping.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 12:17:25 PM »
I've been reading this more and more on here, but there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it:

I wonder WHY they don't tour the Southern States!

They seem to LOVE the Southwest!

They play here in Az. every time they tour, as well as California, Colorado, New Mexico, etc.

Do they not have enough of the following in the South?

Is it the fault of the promoters?

Do they not like the climate or the people?

What could it be?

Anyone have a clue?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 03:28:31 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Nameless One

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »
No......

They refuse to come to Dallas on this Tour...

>:( :censored :tdwn :facepalm: :-[ ???

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2014, 12:58:10 AM »
Chicago!!

Great show, probably tied as best with the 20th anniversary tour.

Offline Fredo96993

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2014, 11:34:06 AM »
Saw them three times. Manchester, Wolverhampton and Sheffield. I was a DT live virgin until this year and they blew me away in Manchester. Wolves was much heavier and had less of a "show" feeling and more crowd interaction. Then again, after seeing Marillion at Wolves Civic 4 times before I know that they are boisterous. Sheffield was kind of a mix of the two feels and I was a little disappointed that the setlist was the same on that second leg.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »
I've been reading this more and more on here, but there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it:

I wonder WHY they don't tour the Southern States!

They seem to LOVE the Southwest!

They play here in Az. every time they tour, as well as California, Colorado, New Mexico, etc.

Do they not have enough of the following in the South?

Is it the fault of the promoters?

Do they not like the climate or the people?

What could it be?

Anyone have a clue?
Rural areas are touring hell for a lot of bands. Very difficult for a "middle class" act like DT to tour and make a profit. There are some big cities in the south, but most of them are out of the way and not near any other densely populated areas. I think what's more interesting is how they tend to ignore Texas. Plus, prog metal isn't exactly selling tickets. DT seem to play midsized venues even in the biggest markets like NYC and Philadelphia, and even then they don't appear to sell them out.

Typically NA only gets a month from DT, including US, Mexico, and Canada. It's not so easy to make money playing prog metal in North America, so DT don't spend any more time here than they need to. It's pretty telling that they almost ALWAYS hit Europe twice and spend more time in Europe than everywhere else combined - I suspect that's where their bread and butter is.

Offline plgi024

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2014, 11:59:19 PM »
My 2nd DT concert!!! Oct 26th 2014.

And this time, I came alone. My brother came too but in different class with his friends.

I stood in front of Myung, and never take my eyes off his fingers.

I rarely spotted Petrucci coz he's far on my right and the other fans blocked my view. I cursed on some fans recording their show cos they too block my view; and disrespectful. So I focused more on myung, jordan on the back, and mangini when myung came to him to give jordan some space for solo...

Awesome performance. La Brie is brighter than the 1st one he was just cursing the traffic jam and frowning during the show. But now the pirate looked friendly :)

And I was soooo proud to see that I am now just as thick as JP and James!!!!!  :heart