Author Topic: Christian Music  (Read 4985 times)

Offline chaotic_ripper

Christian Music
« on: September 09, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »
Any fans of Christian rock, or contemporary Christian music?

Hillsong
Michael W. Smith
Third Day
MercyMe
Jars of Clay

Those are some of the big ones.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Christian Music
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:47:37 AM »
I was in a praise band for a few years that did CCM, but that ended a while back.  A lot of it was really good music which I loved playing.  I don't really consider myself a fan of CCM, but I ended up becoming familiar with some of it.

Hillsong has so much material out there, and by so many different writers, that it would be difficult not to find something to like by them.  There have a number of songs which I consider really good.

Phil Wickham gets a little samey sometimes, and sometimes creeps me out because his songs of praise often sound like love songs, but he also has a great voice and can really write a melody.

I remember doing some David Crowder tunes with some wacky keyboards, which appealed to me since I'm a keyboard player, but when I dug into more albums by Crowder, it seems that those few tunes we did were exceptions.  I didn't really like the rest of his stuff.

Chris Tomlin is pretty cool.  He's kinda like Phil Wickham in that he cranks out so many songs that they start sounding the same, but they're also usually pretty good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:50:49 AM »
I'm a big fan of 80s Christian metal; Stryper, Saint, Barren Cross, Angelica, Recon, Sacred Warrior, Neon Cross, California Metal soundtracks,

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:53:08 AM »
I'm not religious so I have no interest in terms of the religious message , but as long as it's subtle enough and the music is good then hey - good music is good music.

I can't say I have a huge amount of CCM , but a few in the hard rock/metal that come to mind would be Stryper, Holy Soldier, King James, , Barren Cross , The Brave , Guardian, Fear Not (poor man's Skid Row :)  )Tamplin/Shout and a few on the AOR side ...The Front, King of Hearts,  White Heart etc..
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »
Though not a christian, I do listen to Balance of Power and Mehida. Both good power metal bands.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 10:57:51 AM »
Theocracy was the first band that came to mind. Awesome music - so awesome that I don't mind the in your face religiousness of it all.

I also used to be a fan of Skillet, but that has passed.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 11:12:42 AM »
Not a big fan of most Christian metal.

My favorite Christian artists are Chris Tomlin, David Crowder, Hillsong, Audrey Assad, and of course, Neal Morse.

I play drums at my church every week, so I am extremely familiar with most of this stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »
Some cool Christian hard rock/metal bands out there for sure.  Just a few off the top of my head: Kutless (older material), Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch, Pillar, Decyfer Down, Ashes Remain, RED, Nine Lashes, The Letter Black, Sent by Ravens, Day of Fire, Fireflight, Flyleaf, We As Human, Disciple, 12 Stones, Demon Hunter, Love and Death, War of Ages, etc....

I could go on and on with that list, haha. I'm in a Christian hard rock band that used to play out a lot and at one point or another we played with many of those bands, most of them are great dudes/ladies.

Also some cool Christian Contemporary artists out there right now too. Hillsong, Elevation Worship, Chris Tomlin, Phil Wickham, Vertical Church Band, Bethel Church, Tenth Avenue North etc...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »
I used to listen to a lot of Delirious? I liked their Mezzanine album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 12:34:11 PM »

I play drums at my church every week, so I am extremely familiar with most of this stuff.

That's how I started. :).

I used to want to rehearse with my dad the night before but after a while it would be more like
Do you want to drum in church today?
Ok :)

I didn't even need to know what songs were being played. I knew them all eventually :P

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »
Theocracy was the first band that came to mind. Awesome music - so awesome that I don't mind the in your face religiousness of it all.

This, but I only like Mirror of Souls.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »
and of course, Neal Morse.

Surprisingly late in the thread :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 01:59:29 PM »
Neal Morse's stuff is practically its own genre.  Christian Prog, or something.  Pretty much no one else is doing it, certainly no one totally progging it up like Neal.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »
Neal Morse's stuff is practically its own genre.  Christian Prog, or something.  Pretty much no one else is doing it, certainly no one totally progging it up like Neal.
That's true.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »
I'm not religious so I have no interest in terms of the religious message , but as long as it's subtle enough and the music is good then hey - good music is good music.

I can't say I have a huge amount of CCM , but a few in the hard rock/metal that come to mind would be Stryper, Holy Soldier, King James, , Barren Cross , The Brave , Guardian, Fear Not (poor man's Skid Row :)  )Tamplin/Shout and a few on the AOR side ...The Front, King of Hearts,  White Heart etc..

Same here. Don't have much in my collection from overtly Christian bands but I'm certainly not put off by the message, just as I'm not a satanist for listening to Sabbath etc. Stryper, Whitecross, Shout, Theocracy, Liberty N Justice, Neil Morse, Scarlet Red were probably the only ones I listened to.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 02:19:19 PM »
Neal Morse is probably the only Christian music I listen to. Just haven't heard any other that appealed to me.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »
Most bands/artists that came to mind are already mentioned. Did not see Seventh Avenue, which is a solid (old school, think early Blind Guardian or Helloween) German Power Metal band.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 02:45:19 PM »
Neal Morse is probably the only Christian music I listen to. Just haven't heard any other that appealed to me.
I doubt any other would, that I can think of off-hand.  His music is the only Christian music that has ever appealed to me that was "music first."  Most Christian music is "message first".  Does that make sense?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »
Most bands/artists that came to mind are already mentioned. Did not see Seventh Avenue, which is a solid (old school, think early Blind Guardian or Helloween) German Power Metal band.
That sounds interesting. Will check out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 03:34:18 PM »
I still have DC Talk, Newsboys, Audio Adrenaline, etc in my playlist but as mentioned previously I enjoy them for the inspiration first and the music second. 
Neal morse, for me, is a win-win.
Whiteheart is an under-rated band.  Their songs are hit/miss, but the ones that are hit are excellent.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »
I doubt any other would, that I can think of off-hand.  His music is the only Christian music that has ever appealed to me that was "music first."  Most Christian music is "message first".  Does that make sense?

Yeah I don't like Christian Music that is just praising.

I prefer it when it's music made by a band who happen to be Christian.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 04:05:22 PM »

It makes sense to me.  Praise music, at its root, is about the message, so the genre has evolved based on making music that is accessible so that people will listen to the message.  Neal honed his chops in prog music first and converted later, so he writes music the way he always has, but with a different message.  "Regular" praise music won't have a five-minute instrumental section in a 20-minute song (or a 10-minute instrumental in a 30-minute song) because there's no real message there.  But Neal has an audience already, so writing music to be accessible isn't even on the table.  At least that's how I see it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 04:07:18 PM »
I love Jars Of Clay.  There are a few prog albums out there that some my like.  I'm not very religious but it's never stopped me from purchases.

The Twenty Committee - How Wonderful         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Dl7SyPjKw

Dogs Of Peace -- Do You Know       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GVWDq8sq2Y
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 04:09:56 PM »
Some cool Christian hard rock/metal bands out there for sure.  Just a few off the top of my head: Kutless (older material), Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch, Pillar, Decyfer Down, Ashes Remain, RED, Nine Lashes, The Letter Black, Sent by Ravens, Day of Fire, Fireflight, Flyleaf, We As Human, Disciple, 12 Stones, Demon Hunter, Love and Death, War of Ages, etc....

Yeah baby, on the bolded.  I love Skillet.  One of my fave five bands.  I really loved Decyfer Down's End Of Gray album, and I used to like 12 Stones, but I stop following them for reasons that I don't know why.  I heard decent things about We As Human (saw a live stream on them last Saturday.  Pretty ok), RED, and Thousand Foot Krutch and I gotta eventually listen to their stuff when I have the time.

I also liked Stryper's No More Hell To Pay album and Michael Sweet's I'm Not Your Suicide album, so I'm pretty much bound to follow those projects and whatever collaboration that Michael Sweet does with.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 04:11:24 PM »
I'm not keen on religious stuff, but Saviour Machine's Legend Part I blows my mind for being such a dark, epic rock/metal album about the book of revelations. It seems like the soundtrack for an epic movie. Their other stuff is bloody good too.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 04:15:34 PM »

Funny thing, when I first heard of Skillet, their appeal was mainly message first.  When I 1st listened to Stryper, the appeal was pretty much music first.  I was that blown away with the instrumental parts of them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 04:22:45 PM »
Just checked out some samples on Youtube. Awesome tunes, man! Rough production though.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »
I really like some of the Bethel Church stuff, Jesus Culture etc.  Edge Kingsland is another great band, with a lot of modern influences like Sigur Ros, Arcade Fire etc.  All worship music.

'Christian Music' is such a contentious issue in and of itself.  A lot of Christians listen to absolute crap just because its 'Christian'.  Reading up about the Tim Lambesis (As I Lay Dying) story reaffirmed a lot of the aspects I hate about 'Christian Music'; bands rolling with a Christian image without actually living Christian lives because it gets them an automatic audience.  Meh. 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 05:42:10 PM »
Does U2 count? They aren't explicitly Christian, but nearly all their songs that I've heard have been rich with Christian sentiment.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 06:49:41 PM »
Listen to regularly:  Neal Morse, Theocracy

Listen to on occasion: John Elefante, Saviour Machine (although just the Legend albums), Michael Sweet (solo, never cared much for Stryper), Whitecross

Enjoy random songs by on rare occasion: Newsboys, Carman, Keith Green, Rob Rock, Tourniquet, Phil Joel (formerly of Newsboys)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »
I like Flyleaf

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 07:14:14 PM »
Tourniquet

Yes!  They have some great albums.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 10:17:03 PM »
Tourniquet and Bride are two bands I love in the thrash and hard rock realm.  Theocracy is awesome as is Neal Morse.

Petra, DC Talk, Audio Adrenaline, and Third Day have a lot of cool stuff that my old band used to cover.

Did anyone else ever listen to an AOR band called Halo?  I think they only put out one or two albums in the late 80's/early 90's (produced by the Elefante brothers if I'm not mistaken).
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.