Author Topic: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue  (Read 85681 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Exit...Stage Left
« Reply #315 on: October 18, 2014, 07:03:45 PM »
I know Marc had a great live Rush thread, but to Marc or John, or anyone else, what would be the definitive boots for both the PW and MP tours?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #316 on: October 18, 2014, 11:27:07 PM »
Hemispheres:
- 'the album that nearly killed the band' - everything was bombastic ... arrangements, performance, production, and most of all, cost (as they ran out of studio time, and had to mix and re-mix at different locations in England
- it wasn't until after they finished writing that Geddy realized that the songs were in registers that required him to sing higher and harder than he ever had.
- Hemispheres was too long for them to record and get on a single piece of tape in one take.

Wait, Hemispheres the song or the whole album that they were trying to do it in one go without stopping? I thought it was La Villa Strangiato that they were trying to get it done where they play it all the way without stopping and don't need to add anything else after that.  They try to do that for Hemispheres as well?  No wonder, they felt that overwhelming pressure.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #317 on: October 19, 2014, 12:26:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure they tried to do LVS in one go. I remember Geddy saying so in the movie too. I don't think a song like Hemispheres would even be attempted.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #318 on: October 19, 2014, 12:37:58 AM »
Yeah, I remember one of them said recording LVS took more time than the entirety of Fly by Night.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #319 on: October 19, 2014, 05:55:40 AM »
I assumed the quote I read (from Terry Brown) was referring to the song, not the entire album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #320 on: October 19, 2014, 08:28:33 AM »
Awesome story, Orbert!! :tup :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #321 on: October 19, 2014, 09:53:07 AM »
I still would like to know where the raw footage of this show is.   I can't help but believe that *somewhere* out there is a complete pro-shot video of an entire Moving Pictures Tour live show that was edited down for the home video release. 

Someday, I'm hoping they will find the original footage, and be able to release the entire show.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Signals
« Reply #322 on: October 20, 2014, 09:41:56 AM »
Having now reached into the mainstream with both hands, thanks to songs like "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight" being smash rock radio hits, the world was now their oyster, but, instead of going the safe route and doing another Moving Pictures, they continued to evolve, and wanted to step up the keyboards on their next album.  This, however, would clash with longtime producer Terry Brown, who wanted to see the band remain a power trio, hard rock band at heart, but the band was insistent on moving forward and letting the keys became a bigger part of their sound, which led to some clashes during the recording with Brown, who was to them in the studio what George Martin was to The Beatles. As a result, the band's 9th studio album, Signals, was a step back in regards to overall sound and production (although later CD pressings would result in remasters that helped it out a ton).  And it would be the last album produced by a man the band had referred to on more than one occasion as the fourth member of Rush.

However, despite the in-studio struggles and clashes, the album is still pretty damn good, and the songs are there.  "Subdivisions" is arguably THE definitive Rush song of the synth era - it was a minor hit on MTV thanks to a video that got a lot of air play at the time, the diehards love it, and the band has played it on many tours over the years. "New World Man," which was a last minute "Hey, we need a song that is no longer than 3:57 to fill out Side 2 of the record" tune, Project 3:57 if you will, is a nice, catchy tune, and oddly became their biggest hit on the pop charts ever (it went to number 23). Other fan favorites like "The Analog Kid," "The Weapon" and "Digital Man" are all winners, as well.  "Countdown" and "Chemistry" both have their moments, and I enjoy them, even if both have that "dang, they could have been so much better" feeling to them.  Finally, the 2nd-to-last studio-only song, "Losing It," is pretty freaking great. That one was a bit of an afterthought for me for a long time, but one day the light bulb went on and it's been a favorite of mine since.  It was around this time when Neil Peart's lyrics went from great to consistently phenomenal, and "Losing It" is a fine example of this; so is "Subdivisions."

Getting back to the sound, it's hard to know what happened, but I get the sense that it wasn't a strength of Terry Brown's to mix it to where the keys were the dominant instrument.  On an album where the keys were supposed to step up and the guitars were supposed to step back, neither sounds up front enough more often than not, but, like I said, it's still a good-sounding record on the newer remasters; the mixing just could have been better in regards to the two lead instruments.  It's strange, too, cause I've seen the video for "Subdivisions" on Totally 80s a few times, and it's obviously still from the original release, and it sounds like listening to a song on an old transistor radio.  Every time I see the video and hear it, I think, "Is that what the original vinyl release sounded like??" Regardless, I still love Signals a ton, and while it might be my least favorite of the four synth era albums, that doesn't diminish it; that merely speaks to how much more I like the next three.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #323 on: October 20, 2014, 10:03:19 AM »
Signals was an album that grew quickly for me in my formative years as a Rush fan. The opening two tracks were instant hits, as was "The Digital Man". I didn't quite love "Countdown" or "Chemistry" all that much at first, but in the years following, I came to love the whole album.

It's a marked change after the last two albums, but the three of them together form a powerful trio of albums that rivals the run of 2112-AFTK-HEMI, just in a different way. It is interesting to note that the band played all but "Losing It" from this album on its tour, which is a shame as it's quite a beautiful song, but understandable given that it would have required an additional musician to play the violin part.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #324 on: October 20, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
My father's first Rush concert was during the Signals tour, where he fell in love with Rush. If I remember correctly, it's also his favorite album.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: October 20, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »
This album has grown on me the last year or so. Subdivisions was an instant classic though, and it's a Top 5 Rush song for me. The Analog Kid, Digital Man, Losing It, and New World Man are great too. The others are okay but doesn't really do that much for me.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:47:54 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #326 on: October 20, 2014, 10:42:25 AM »
Signals was a huge step back for me, particularly sound-wise. Yes, the original vinyl sounds dull and mushy. Plus the reggae-isms were a bit OTT on a couple of songs (Digital Man, Chemistry- still don't like these songs).
The rest of the album would be great with a better production.
I love The Analog Kid and have a soft spot for Countdown. Losing It is awesome and New World man rocks. Subdivisions is cool. Th Weapon is great too.

Peart was coming into his own as a lyric writer, less fiction based stuff, more real world stuff.

I probably wouldn't rate it that high on the ratings but that's because of the issues mentioned above. PLenty of awesome here still even if it doesn't sound like I love it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #327 on: October 20, 2014, 10:46:42 AM »
This one was never a favorite of mine, but there are definitely some good songs here.  And the change in sound is quite noticeable.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #328 on: October 20, 2014, 11:02:16 AM »
SUBDIVISIONS.

:lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #329 on: October 20, 2014, 01:26:27 PM »

agree with Lowdz for the most part.  the reggae stuff is not for me.

first, the guitar parts, aside from the solos, sound like afterthoughts (and I read somewhere that Alex didn't work on his parts until late or some such).  love the solo on Subdivisions, but for much of the record you could really remove the guitar part and it wouldn't affect the song significantly.

Fuck New World Man, except for possibly a little part in the second verse, this song is without merit.  You can tell it was a last minute addition.  No creativity whatsoever.  Geddy's singing makes it sound like he doesn't even care about this song.  I guess this only got popular because it was a formulaic single-type song on the album after Moving Pictures.  I can't think of a single Rush song I feel short-changed more than this one.

In general, I just feel like the songwriting lacks on large parts of this album, again possibly related to Alex dicking around instead of participating in the creative process. 

song ranking:
Subdivisions (all time top 5 Rush song)
Analog Kid (still don't think the main guitar melody is that great, it probably detracts from the song for me)
Losing It (the build up and climax in the solo is sublime, plus the lyrics are great)
Chemistry (creative, new, different)
Countdown (love the synth solo)
Digital Man (fairly good except the chorus is stupid)
The Weapon (just could never get into this, I don' t feel like any part of the song really works)
New World Man (see above, ugh)

easily my least-listened-to album between 2112 and TFE.  fortunately Rush redeemed themselves in a big big way later in the decade.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #330 on: October 20, 2014, 01:50:43 PM »
Signals was the first studio album that came out after I became a fan. I was so into Rush at this point. Having spent the prior year and a half accumulating their catalog. I loved everything they had done up till this point. But then it came. The local radio station prmiered the new Rush song, New World Man. WTF HAPPENED TO RUSH. Surely this couldn't be them. This song was so fuc#ing lame compared to Hemispheres, Natural Science, etc..
When I bought Signals, I was so completely disapponited. The only two tracks I remotely liked were The Analog Kid and The Weapon.
I was basically done at this point being a Rush fan. Grace Under Pressure even cemented my thoughts. Even though I saw them on the Power Windows tour (Very dissappointing BTW), it was until I saw them on the Hold Your Fire tour that I became a fan again.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #331 on: October 20, 2014, 01:56:01 PM »
glad to see I'm not the only one using the F-word in conjunction with New World Man :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #332 on: October 20, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »
Over time, I have basically made peace with 80's Rush, including New World Man.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #333 on: October 20, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »
This is where Rush took it a bit too far for me.  The other Canadian power trio of the day, Triumph, also had synthesizers doing some occassionally interesting lines here and there, and it added to their sound, but at their heart, they remained a classic power trio.  Guitar, bass, drums.

Rush wanted to take it farther than that, and I don't blame them for it.  They were better musicians with higher goals; I just have mixed feelings about the results.  Geddy is not a gifted keyboard player.  It all sounds good because Oberheims sound good, and he's such a talented musician that he manages to express himself, but musically it's just not very interesting to me.

It was also around this time that rumors were flying that Geddy Lee had throat cancer.  All those years of wailing like that had finally done it.  Such a damned shame, too.  Then "New World Man" came out, and listen to his voice.  All low register, practically speaking the lines rather than singing.  Wow, it seemed the rumors were true.

Of course they weren't, but it was definitely a common belief, and believeable.  Too bad about Rush.  They were cool, but it took me a long time to come to terms with 80's SynthRush, and this album is a big reason why.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #334 on: October 20, 2014, 02:08:06 PM »

Of course they weren't, but it was definitely a common belief, and believeable.  Too bad about Rush.  They were cool, but it took me a long time to come to terms with 80's SynthRush, and this album is a big reason why.
Yeah, same here. And you mentioned Geddy's voice. I forgot to mention that too. Gone was his unique and exciting voice. It's just his humdrum lower register. Such a turnoff, because to me, I had always equated that with stopping trying.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #335 on: October 20, 2014, 02:14:56 PM »
While I generally enjoy the synth era a great deal, Signals is one of the entries that I don't enjoy as much. The production is really spotty and you can tell that the band is still in the learning process of how to blend Geddy's synthesizers more heavily into the music, as well as how much New Age/Reggae influence should be administered to the music. That being said, Subdivisions is pretty fantastic. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #336 on: October 20, 2014, 03:10:42 PM »
Loved it when it first came out. Over time, I did not like the backseat Alex took on this album. but as time went on I grew to love the album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #337 on: October 20, 2014, 07:21:40 PM »
Didn't really like Signals for a long time. I couldn't really figure it out. It was like it didn't know what it wanted to be, so it was hard to get into.

These days I enjoy it quite a bit, with my favorites being Subdivisions and Losing it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: October 20, 2014, 08:43:23 PM »
Overall I would rank Signals below GUP and Power Windows.

But I would rank Subdivisions as my all time favorite song by any band!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #339 on: October 20, 2014, 08:46:06 PM »
LOVE this album.

My #1 is The Weapon with a bullet.   (and the live version from the GUP Sountrack available in the Replay 3X box set is even better)

The only meh song to me is Digital Man.   Everything else on this album is amazing.   The lyrics to Countdown are a bit....let's just say 'not up to Peart-par'  :lol but that amazing closing riff saves the song to me.   I wish it went on for a bit longer.

Are we ranking yet?

The Weapon
Analog Kid
Subdivisions
Losing It
Chemistry
Countdown
New World Man
Digital Man
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #340 on: October 20, 2014, 09:25:56 PM »
Loved the Analog Kid when I first heard it on the Clockwork Angels Tour DVD.  As for the rest?  I may need to listen to it again.

As for Subdivisions?  Easy winner for me.  If I had got into Rush and listened to that song 5-8 years ago when I was in high school, I would have coped with things/issues there a lot easier.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #341 on: October 20, 2014, 09:57:31 PM »
Man this album took forever to grow on me. It was one of the first albums (by anyone) I had ever heard, along with Moving Pictures, 2112, and the live album A Show of Hands. I liked Moving Pictures the most, 2112 was interesting but a little dense for me at the time, and the live album was lots of fun. I had absolutely no use for Signals. It was too poppy, too easy listening. For a kid just discovering metal, this was a huge bore.

Fast forward eight or nine years and one day this album just clicked. I was going through the Rush discography in a similar fashion to what we're doing now, and I finally got to the dreaded Signals. I went into this album expecting the worst; I'd enjoy Subdivisions and it'd be all downhill from there. But then something strange happened: I actually enjoyed the entire album! Every single song, not one moment I didn't like. It's a really strong album. It doesn't have the power of Moving Pictures and I think it pales in comparison to the next two albums, but it's a great intro to the synth era. The songs are catchy and accessible, lots of great melodies, the synth sounds are really cool. I think Rush's synth sounds on this album still hold up today.

I love Geddy's voice on this too. The high pitched wailing was cool on the 70s albums, but this was a different era. A different band. He still sounds unique enough and his voice has matured quite a bit. I like his singing on these albums a lot.

Still, it is a step down from the previous 5 albums. Rush had an amazing run going from 2112 to Moving Pictures. While I think Signals is a fantastic album, it's nowhere near the caliber of the five that came before it. But it is better than their first three. I think this just speaks to how great of a band Rush is. If any other band put out an album that was not to the strengths of such a high caliber run, it'd probably be a huge disappointment. At this point, Rush at their worst were still great.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #342 on: October 21, 2014, 03:28:12 AM »

It took me a while to get used to the reggae influences and heavily prominent synths, but now I really like Signals. However, the guitars are too low in the mix at times (most notably on Subdivisions) and I haven't completely warmed up to Countdown yet. My ranking:

Subdivisions
Losing It
Digital Man
The Weapon
The Analog Kid
Chemistry
New World Man
Countdown

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: October 21, 2014, 03:33:33 AM »
This is my favourite of their synth era albums. It has the right amount of synths in the mix, not too much as on the subsequent albums.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #344 on: October 21, 2014, 04:10:43 AM »
I love the sound of this album. The next two records of the synth era are fantastic as well, but whereas Grace is very dark and Power windows extremely powerful, Signals is a bit more calm and bright sounding. It's got a great mood.

The songs themselves are amazing, especially Subdivisions, The Analog kid, Losing it and The Weapon. I also think Countdown is hugely underrated, it's one of the more progressive songs of the synth era, and that bit in the middle with the actual countdown is truly dramatic. Geddy shines with some keyboard riffs and solos on here.

I see Signals as the third album of my favorite Rush era - from Permanent waves up to and including Power windows, Rush put out a streak of brilliant albums. Hemispheres is great as well, but it's obviously very different.

EDIT: Also, wow at the rumors about Geddy having throat cancer, I never knew about that story.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #345 on: October 21, 2014, 04:20:22 AM »
Listening to the album again and Chemistry starts - \i'm thinking it's not bad, I've been overly harsh. Then the verses start and it's  :facepalm: I forgot it went like that.
Digital Man is s till poor. The rest is awesome, including NWM!

The next two albums however  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #346 on: October 21, 2014, 08:40:05 AM »
Listening to the album again and Chemistry starts - \i'm thinking it's not bad, I've been overly harsh. Then the verses start and it's  :facepalm: I forgot it went like that.
Digital Man is s till poor. The rest is awesome, including NWM!

The next two albums however  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I enjoy Signals, but I definitely think it was a flawed prototype to the two incredible albums that were going to follow it. Really can't wait to talk about Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows. :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #347 on: October 21, 2014, 09:08:01 AM »
Chemistry could have been an awesome instrumental. 

While I called Digital Man a winner in my write-up, I actually like it a lot less than I used to.  I mean, I still like it a lot, but over time, I've come to love many Rush songs more than it, while my love for that one has waned a bit.

Subdivisions and The Weapon have long been my two favorites from this one; I don't think that will ever change.  Losing It and The Analog Kid are comfortably 3a and 3b.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #348 on: October 21, 2014, 09:26:10 AM »
some funny comments here when juxtaposed.  I think I understand what you guys are talking about, but these just strike me as hilarious when you read your words back-to-back (and somewhat out of context)

TAC has the shortest fandom of a band in recorded history.

Signals was the first studio album that came out after I became a fan.

When I bought Signals, I was so completely disapponited. I was basically done at this point being a Rush fan.

Time is no factor to the king when love is involved.

Loved it when it first came out . . . but as time went on I grew to love the album.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #349 on: October 21, 2014, 09:31:57 AM »
Forgive them, they are old.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.