Author Topic: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue  (Read 85667 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Moving Pictures
« Reply #280 on: October 17, 2014, 12:48:32 PM »
Marathon is #1 for me.  Then those mentioned are right up there.

Marathon is in my Holy Trinity of Rush Songs :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #281 on: October 17, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »

If I had never seen Rush live, I don't know that I would have a true appreciation of Marathon. Loved the old laser show with the laser man running.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #282 on: October 17, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »
I'd have to think a little about what I'd put as #5, but LVS and 2112 would be 3 and 4 respectively.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #283 on: October 17, 2014, 12:58:32 PM »

If I had never seen Rush live, I don't know that I would have a true appreciation of Marathon. Loved the old laser show with the laser man running.

I agree, I loved that laser man. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #284 on: October 17, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »
2112 and Cygnus X-1 Book 1: The Voyage constantly fight over the top spot for me. The Camera Eye and La Villa are also way up there, probably in my top 5. I imagine Jacob's Ladder isn't too far behind.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #285 on: October 17, 2014, 01:27:03 PM »
I started to do a Rush song top 50 and had to give up. I had about 25 songs in my top 5  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Exit...Stage Left
« Reply #286 on: October 17, 2014, 02:10:12 PM »
Okay, it's only been two days since my MP write-up, but let's get the live album out of the way so we can dig into the synth era next week. :hat

So yeah, say what you want about Exit...Stage Left now.  Like I said before, I am not into reviewing live albums, so we'll see if others have more to say. :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #287 on: October 17, 2014, 02:14:03 PM »
so we can dig into the synth era next week.

Oh can't wait for that..  :yeahright

Exit Stage left was the first album that came out that I was aware of the band. In the summer between my 7th and 8th grades, I got everything by the band on 8 track!!

Loved this live album. Still do. Would love to hear some unknown facts about it from the group.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #288 on: October 17, 2014, 02:20:45 PM »
Okay, it's only been two days since my MP write-up, but let's get the live album out of the way so we can dig into the synth era next week. :hat

Oh boy! :hefdaddy :hat GUP :heart
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #289 on: October 17, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »
Power Windows is my favorite Rush album, so yes, looking forward to the next 4 albums on this. This live album made me appreciate Jacob's Ladder a lot more.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #290 on: October 17, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
I listened to this live album last week, and I have to say, it was a really pleasant listen. Loved the tracklist.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #291 on: October 17, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
The tracklist is great, the tour was great, and the album they were touring was great.  But the sound of this album is weird.  It may be that it was the first DDD album I'd ever heard and my ears hadn't adjusted yet, or it may be that they hadn't yet figured out how to make DDD albums sound good because it was so new, but somehow, despite being a live album with amazing performances, this album always sounded very dry and lifeless to me.  I never quite figured it out.  Then an asshole ex-roommate of mine stole my copy of the album (along with a bunch of others) and sold it for drug money, so I haven't listened to it in years.  But I remember it sounding weird.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #292 on: October 17, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »
The tracklist is great, the tour was great, and the album they were touring was great.  But the sound of this album is weird.  It may be that it was the first DDD album I'd ever heard and my ears hadn't adjusted yet, or it may be that they hadn't yet figured out how to make DDD albums sound good because it was so new, but somehow, despite being a live album with amazing performances, this album always sounded very dry and lifeless to me.  I never quite figured it out.  Then an asshole ex-roommate of mine stole my copy of the album (along with a bunch of others) and sold it for drug money, so I haven't listened to it in years.  But I remember it sounding weird.

Yeah there was something about this album that just sounded dull and lifeless. At the time I loved live albums but I'd take the studio versions of these songs every time (though I like Broon's Bane), and I wouldn't say that about Strangers In The Night, Alive II, Unleashed In The East etc.
It sounded that way on vinyl too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #293 on: October 17, 2014, 03:24:52 PM »

Yeah there was something about this album that just sounded dull and lifeless. At the time I loved live albums but I'd take the studio versions of these songs every time (though I like Broon's Bane), and I wouldn't say that about Strangers In The Night, Alive II, Unleashed In The East etc.
It sounded that way on vinyl too.
I think part of that speaks to the strength of of the studio production for AFTK through MP, especially PW and MP. 70's Kiss, Priest, and UFO all seemed to have remedial productions.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #294 on: October 17, 2014, 03:43:43 PM »
Yeah, "Broon's Bane" was cool.  It was like Wow, an instrumental acoustic intro to the song!  So groundbreaking, so awesome, so 1981!

Seriously though, it was cool.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #295 on: October 17, 2014, 04:06:05 PM »
Moving Pictures - Great album, even though I like it just a little less than PEW, possibly because the songs on side 1 have been over-played, both on radio and on tour. Side 2 is the more experimental side, which I enjoy a little more, mostly because of "The Camera Eye" and "Witch Hunt". There really isn't much else I can say or add about this album that hasn't already been said, so I'll move on to...

Exit...Stage Left. If ATWAS was the band's raw album, this was a complete 180. This sounds like a studio album without a lot of crowd, and fading out/in between some tracks. It's very noticeably pieced together, although the runs of songs sound amazing, particularly "Broon's Bane/The Trees/Xanadu". The live rendition of "La Villa Strangiato" absolutely slays, as does "Jacob's Ladder". To me, this is the band's Seconds Out, their Yessongs/i], their Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends - it's got some epic moments, great live sound, but it does sound a BIT too sterile, even after a couple remasterings, although the latest version from the Sector box sets is an improvement.

One of my favorite live albums, but after creating my personal Complete Live Tour set, the live setlists for the PEW and MP tours are better in completion than the ESL track list. I do wish we'd get complete soundboards for BOTH tours, official or otherwise, but what we do have from boots and official releases is great.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #296 on: October 17, 2014, 04:18:15 PM »
One of my favorite live albums, but after creating my personal Complete Live Tour set, the live setlists for the PEW and MP tours are better in completion than the ESL track list. I do wish we'd get complete soundboards for BOTH tours, official or otherwise, but what we do have from boots and official releases is great.
I agree 100%.

Not sure what Seconds Out is though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #297 on: October 17, 2014, 04:30:17 PM »
Seconds Out was the second live album from Genesis.  It was long regarded as the definitive live Genesis album, and still is by many.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #298 on: October 17, 2014, 04:34:23 PM »
See avatar. ;D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #299 on: October 17, 2014, 04:39:33 PM »
That's not your avatar, that's your "Personal Text".  Too bad, too.  That band went through a lot of changes stylistically, and it's a shame that none of it appeals to you.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #300 on: October 17, 2014, 04:59:05 PM »
This is *THE DEFINITIVE VERSION OF YYZ*!!!   This drum solo is so good, that it was the first time I ever heard a drum solo in regular rotation on local rock radio.   This drum solo has over the years become the most memorized and hailed drum solos in rock history.     I love this drum solo...can you tell?  :hat

This was my favorite live Rush album for a very long time.  I love every single note of it.   In retrospect, I suppose I can hear what people are talking about with the sound, but it never bothered me.  This is THE live album I grew up with.   The experience most 12 year olds had with Kiss Alive...I had with ESL.     BB/TT/Xanadu may be the best recorded "side" of live music in history...pure eargasm.   

There's not a single note of ESL I don't adore, and it is probably still my favorite live Rush album.  Sometimes I like Different Stages a bit better, but it's hard to replace your first love. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #301 on: October 17, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »

Completely agree.  It sounds sterile.  I love the songs, but like you said it sounds lifeless.

BTW, I got it for Christmas with, wait for it................AC/DC - For Those About To Rock.  Live album for the young mind, one album for my groin. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #302 on: October 17, 2014, 06:24:29 PM »
This is *THE DEFINITIVE VERSION OF YYZ*!!!   This drum solo is so good, that it was the first time I ever heard a drum solo in regular rotation on local rock radio.   This drum solo has over the years become the most memorized and hailed drum solos in rock history.     I love this drum solo...can you tell?  :hat

For my Senior Recital at college (I was a music major), I played YYZ as my final piece, the ESL version complete with drum solo (well, my slightly different interpretation of it), and it was pretty fun to learn and play.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #303 on: October 17, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »
I'm not even a drummer, and I swear it's the only drum solo that I have MEMORIZED NOTE FOR NOTE. 

BTW, my second favorite drum solo of all time?   I made an audio rip of the Images and Words Live in Tokyo home video.   I cannot figure out why MP hates solos so much.   I think *that* solo has the same "musical" quality that Neil gave his solos....I think Mike was extremely good at creating "musical" solos when he did them, and I can't figure out why he didn't want to do them anymore, and expressed a dislike for them.  And I put that IAWLiT solo very close the the YYZ solo. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #304 on: October 17, 2014, 07:25:02 PM »
This is the first time I've heard this live album being called "sterile". I'm surprised ,I always liked the sound of it a lot and it's a really great album. Perfect if I want a fix of this era of Rush. The only thing I don't like are the fades between songs. Not sure why they couldn't just crossfade audience noise together. But that's a minor gripe, the music itself is top notch. Not of the magnitude of other live albums, but still a lot of fun.

Different eyes see different things, right?  :biggrin:
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #305 on: October 17, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »

Thank you J-dude, I was surprised no one mentioned this before you.  It is so great that transition into and out of the drum solo, plus I like the fact that the solo isn't overly long like it's become in the last 20 years.  Take YYZ and LVS alone are enough to warrant buying this CD.  The Lerxst in Wonderland solo on LVS is different from the studio version, but chill-inducing nonetheless.

Other than that, yeah the production just makes everything seem so distant and dry unfortunately.  Like they were playing behind a curtain, and all the fadeouts don't help trying to make it feel like you're actually at a concert rather than listening to a bunch of separate takes.

But yeah, I'll take ESL over the other live albums.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: October 18, 2014, 07:05:16 AM »
Despite not being an actual concert release, this is a great live release.  I had the VHS of it, that got a lot of plays - usually accompanied with some "environmental enhancements" for me and my buds, and the phrase "eeRE!!!".  :hat  Geddy's double-neck bass was :omg.

Drum solo - epic

LVS - still god-tier.

Though I prefer a couple of their later live releases, this too was the release in the late 80s that continued my expansion of the band beyond just the popular hits.  Listened to the shit out of this before my first concert in 1991 - and got baked out of my mind.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #307 on: October 18, 2014, 08:34:43 AM »

Thank you J-dude, I was surprised no one mentioned this before you.  It is so great that transition into and out of the drum solo, plus I like the fact that the solo isn't overly long like it's become in the last 20 years.  Take YYZ and LVS alone are enough to warrant buying this CD.  The Lerxst in Wonderland solo on LVS is different from the studio version, but chill-inducing nonetheless.

Other than that, yeah the production just makes everything seem so distant and dry unfortunately.  Like they were playing behind a curtain, and all the fadeouts don't help trying to make it feel like you're actually at a concert rather than listening to a bunch of separate takes.

But yeah, I'll take ESL over the other live albums.

Yeah, I can understand some of the complaints about the weird sound on the vocal songs, but both YYZ and LVS are insane on ELS. In fact, I greatly prefer the ELS version of Lerxst in Wonderland over the original. :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #308 on: October 18, 2014, 12:06:10 PM »
Geddy's double-neck bass was :omg.

Geddy and Alex jamming together on their double-necks during the rocking part of Xanadu's long intro is still Rush's single most awesome live concert video moment ever. :metal :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #309 on: October 18, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »
At the risk of copping out, I don't know what I can say about Moving Pictures that hasn't been said many times by many of us on this forum.  It is easily the band's most popular, accessible and iconic studio record.  While not number 1 on my list, if someone else puts it there, and many do, I have a hard time disagreeing with it.  This, like 2112 and Permanent Waves, is so perfect that it is impossible to find really any fault with it.  Nearly every song on it is a Rush classic, and while "Red Barchetta" has long been my favorite, it seems like every song from this is someone's favorite song from this record.  They were firing on all cylinders at this point, and Moving Pictures is the result. 

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Regarding the album cover, this has long been one of my favorites of theirs.  I love the triple meaning of the words 'moving pictures.'  Great stuff.

More of a fan of side two than side 1, especially Witch Hunt and Vital Signs. YYZ and Red Barchetta are the stars of side 1.

This album arrived at the right time, too.

Haven't thrown in Alex yet so:

"We renegotiated our record deal on the strength of that record. So that automatically added to our longevity. We knew that we had the budget for so many albums for the next 8 or 10 years or whatever [Note: actually through 1989's A Show of Hands} So in many ways it guaranteed us that freedom to make whatever records we wanted to make. And to, I guess instill some confidence in the record company that we were capable of making records that they could be commercially happy with---which is not a big priority with us, believe me. The artistic end of the album is what's most important."  ---- Alex  In the Studio: Moving Pictures.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #310 on: October 18, 2014, 12:53:07 PM »

So yeah, say what you want about Exit...Stage Left now.  Like I said before, I am not into reviewing live albums, so we'll see if others have more to say. :lol :lol

An iconic live album for a number of reasons...great tracklisting, kind of a greatest hits live release, took advantage of the success of Moving Pictures and kept the band on the road, showcased the what the band could do live for newer fans of the band.....

All that said, there isn't much live about this live album.  In the process of  fixing a few mistakes, a lot of the energy was drained from this album as others have said.  I used to listen to this a lot when it came out, mostly because that was all there was if I wanted to hear anything live from that period (and I wasn't quite aware of bootlegs yet. I think this album may have been the reason I sought out bootlegs  or it just could have been that I'm a geek)  Found out later that this wasn't particularly representative of the band live at all as a lot of the humor is removed from the album. It's a favorite album cover of mine too.

Also found out later (via bootleg) that a playful intro to La Villa Strangiato was cut from the version they used too.

At least Natural Science and Vital Signs were left on the cutting room floor (Vital Signs live appeared a short time later and the B-side to New World Man. Who knows what happened to Natural Science...)

It's kind of a shame that the "classic" period that this album is supposed to represent kind of falls short, but I think that's partly due to the technology at the time. Maybe it's similar to the way that The Song Remains The Same (musically) isn't as good of an indicator of what Led Zeppelin was either.

More useless trivia about the cover from Neil:

"We wanted to have Snaggelpus's tail on there. You know,'Exit...Stage Left', with a picture of just his tail. Forget it! They wanted all kinds of legal hassles and tons of money." ------Neil     Canoe online 10/16/1996

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: October 18, 2014, 02:02:44 PM »
Fun Facts:

A Farewell to Kings:
- the band started headlining ... with Cheap Trick and Max Webster opening
- the album was recorded in England
- not sure if it was ever seriously considered, but rather than adding a fourth member, this is where they REALLY pushed themselves instrumentally. "We were faced with the choice of adding a band member or else getting really ambitious and doing it ourselves.  We wanted more textures, new sounds."  -- Peart
- it was their first certified Gold album in the US
- Cinderella Man was lyrically based on the movie Mr. Deeds Goes to Town; Xanadu inspired by Citizen Kane

Hemispheres:
- 'the album that nearly killed the band' - everything was bombastic ... arrangements, performance, production, and most of all, cost (as they ran out of studio time, and had to mix and re-mix at different locations in England
- it wasn't until after they finished writing that Geddy realized that the songs were in registers that required him to sing higher and harder than he ever had.
- Hemispheres was too long for them to record and get on a single piece of tape in one take.

Permanent Waves:
- recorded back in the motherland... even if it was in Quebec.
- Freewill only hit 103 on the Billboard charts; The Spirit of Radio - 55
- TSOR was taken from the tagline of local radio station, 102.1 CFNY (now known as "The Edge", and playing a 'new rock' format)
- working title of the album was Waveforms

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #312 on: October 18, 2014, 04:11:16 PM »
My one story from this period pretty much centers on the ingestion of non-tobacco and I know that direct references are frowned upon here at DTF, but this is the story.  Mods can delete it if they feel it's inappropriate.  Also, it's pretty long.  You have been warned.

I was a Music major at Michigan State University, as was my roommate.  The two of us, plus another of my good friends, had scored tickets see to Rush on March 15 in Detroit.  Elsewhere on these boards, I've shared the tragic story of why I did not graduate with a degree in Music, but the events of this story factor into it.  Basically, I had an audition the following morning at 8:00, before the panel who would decide whether or not I would continue as a Music Education major.  They would not allow me to reschedule the audition, and I wasn't going to miss seeing Rush, so I just faced the fact that I would be seeing a concert in Detroit, driving home whenever, and attempting to audition the following morning.  I had already become quite disenchanted with the College of Music at Michigan State.  I wanted to be a band director.  I can play every instrument, winds, brass, even percussion, and my favorite teacher from high school was our band director.  Anyway, "to express yourself through an ensemble, you must first be able to express yourself as a virtuoso upon your chosen instrument" was what they told me, and I had to choose a major and minor instrument.  I liked saxophone, but there was only one sax professor, Dr. Forger, and he was so busy that he only had time for four students.  So basically, in a school of 45,000 students, there could be only four saxophone majors, and I had to audition to be one of them.  I had to beat at least one of his current students.

We were college freshmen, had all been to Detroit before, but never on our own like this, always with our families on trips and stuff.  So a road trip to Detroit to see Rush, the three of us, was a major event.  The afternoon of the show, we got ahold of some non-tobacco.  We weren't sure how long it would take us to get there, but we were going into the heart of Detroit, and also knew that by then we'd all be pretty stoned and might get lost, so we allowed three or four hours.  We figured if we got there early, fine, we could check out the town a bit, get something to eat, whatever.

We rolled several before leaving the dorm.  Many, many.  It was a weekday, so traffic on the highway to Detroit was light and we did in fact get there hours before the show was to start.  For those who are unfamiliar with the geography, Detroit is basically on the Canadian border; Michigan and Ontario are separated by the Detroit River.  You can cross over the river via The Ambassador Bridge, or drive under it via The Windsor Tunnel.  As we were driving around downtown Detroit, wasted, checking out the scenery, we'd pass signs saying "Tunnel to Canada" or "Bridge to Canada" with an arrow telling you which way to turn at the next intersection.  With two hours to kill, "Let's go to Canada!"  Over and back, just to do it.  Sure, why not?  What could go wrong?

We decided on the tunnel, because the bridge might be too freaky because we were so high.  In the tunnel, one of us (I honestly don't remember who) said "Let's burn one in the tunnel!"  Yeah!  This is so cool, we're smoking one in the tunnel!

The sign up ahead said "All Vehicles Must Stop For Customs".  OH SHIT!  Yeah, we hadn't thought about that.  We rolled all the windows down (like that would help at this point) and quickly got a story put together.  We're going to Toronto, I had friends there (which was true) and we were on Spring Break from MSU (which was close enough).  Okay.  We get to the gate, the man in the uniform leans in and asks where we're headed.  Chris the driver says "Toronto" at the same time my buddy Mitch in the back seat says "Toledo".  He puts a red card on the windshield and asks us to pull over for "further inspection".

They searched us, and didn't like what they found.  They searched the car, and found even more, and didn't like that, either.  They separated us and strip-searched us.  All we had was the non-tobacco.  We were all 18, but were still basically "stupid kids" and they threatened to call our parents and it worked, and we were scared.  We were in Canada, had crossed an international border with contraband, and among other things, could be charged with smuggling.  I personally came clean and told them the truth, that we were killing some time before a concert, but I really did have friends in Toronto, my dad was born there, and that we just wanted to visit Canada while we were so close.  I had no idea whether my friends would stick to the story or not, but at this point it didn't really matter.

Basically, they knew we were just stupid kids and not a threat to national security or anything, so they kept us long enough to scare the shit out of us, then sent us back to the United States.  They told us that we were welcome to visit Canada in the future, but please leave the illegal stuff at home.

We got to Cobo Hall and found our seats literally seconds before Max Webster came out.  We hadn't missed anything!  Max Webster were great, and of course Rush was amazing, as they always are.  The one thing I remembered was that there was a song on the radio at the time, "Battlescar" which was the two bands together, all seven of them (Webster had a keyboard player), and since they were touring together, it would make perfect sense for them to play that one song together.  But they didn't.  It was a Max Webster song, from their current album Universal Juveniles, and Webster played it by themselves.  They wasn't just disappointing, but seemed kinda dumb, a missed opportunity.  Rush was there, backstage, and could have joined them for the one song.  It would have been so cool.  But no.  Anyway, it was still a great concert.  Both bands were great.

We got back to East Lansing around 2:00 in the morning, so wired up that I couldn't sleep for a while, and it didn't help that I knew I had to get some sleep before my audition.  Didn't matter.  I sucked at the audition.  I was not going to beat out any of Dr. Forger's four current students, and thus ended my career as a Music Major at Michigan State University.

But it was a great concert.  Worth getting kicked out of the College of Music?  I wasn't gonna pass the audition anyway, so yeah.  Definitely worth it.  This is Rush we're talking about!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: October 18, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »
Awesome story Bob.  You definitely got a logically minded border official.  Such things are extinct these days.  No way an 18-year old you would get the same treatment today.  Thank your lucky stars.  That depending on how much you guys had, it could mean a lifetime ban... minimum 1-year for sure.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #314 on: October 18, 2014, 04:27:46 PM »
Oh yeah, it definitely could have been much worse.  But this was 1981.  It was a simpler time.