Author Topic: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue  (Read 85627 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Hemispheres
« Reply #210 on: October 10, 2014, 03:29:38 PM »
If I could go back in time to ANY TOUR AT ALL...it would be the Hemispheres Tour. 

From Cygnus X-1 dot net, the setlist was:

snip

Interesting.  I wonder why they listed the songs in that order.  There's no question at all that this isn't the actual set list order.  At first I thought they were just listing the songs alphabetically, but that's not it, either.  Memory is a fallable thing, but they came out with "2112" then dove into both books of "Cygnus X-1".  We all remember it. 

Not saying you were wrong because you were there and I wasn't but of the dozens of bootlegs I've listened too from this tour,  Both Cygnus' were connected, but 2112 was played later in the set.  While the next tour they opened with 2112  and both Cgynus' were connected farther down in the set.

Here's a few better sounding ones from Hemispheres...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7d2NyzhIAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5_Qcz4r2JQ

And Permanent Waves...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F44x7iYR0lw&index=3&list=PLmtjR38ATGY7sWzA0laNpPkMdJ9o0rn-7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIl0b4vlpjg&index=4&list=PLmtjR38ATGY7sWzA0laNpPkMdJ9o0rn-7

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »
Rush - La Villa Strangiato. (Hemispheres) 1978.: https://youtu.be/rz1dk8eS_Jo

Where did this come from and why have I never seen it?   It's proshot...looks like a music video, but obviously recorded live.

Look no further than the bonus disc of the R-30 DVD.  There are also soundstage videos for The Trees and Circumstances that were recorded at the same time.

Hemispheres is definitely a favorite of mine.   You can tell the constant touring really had a positive effect on the musicianship here.  It's too band the band has bad memories recording this album as has been well documented.

More album cover trivia from Hugh Syme...

"The band told me, 'Go ahead. we'll see it when we get back' because they were in Wales for the whole album and all of my conversations with them were over the telephone. They didn't see it until it got out. Technically, it's an abomination. Once again it's an effort in the progressive era of punning. They talk about Apollo and Dionysus in the lyrics, so I figured that Apollo would be the Magritte businessman and that Dionysus would , again, be the re-institution of that figure."  (Creem)

Offline The Letter M

Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »

The three shortest songs on here are a lot stronger than the shorter tunes on Side B of 2112, especially the classic rock radio hit, "Closer To The Heart", which has seen its fair share of transformations on stage over the decades. The initial-tour-only-played track "Cinderella Man" is another story by Neil, based on literature, and it works pretty well, although I'll never understand why it was an encore on the AFTK Tour. And "Madrigal" was an  interesting piece by Geddy that was soothing enough. Some might call it filler, but it's Rush exploring what they can do with all their new-found equipment.

-Marc.

Don't want to be that guy but you mixed up who wrote what for Cinderella Man and Madrigal. Geddy wrote Cinderella Man while Neil penned Madrigal.

:facepalm: That was a terrible mistake on my part. Whoops! My Rush History isn't what it used to be, I suppose. Then again, I was gaga over them over a decade ago, and learned everything I could as I got in to them, but my knowledge of a decade's plus worth of other bands, new and old, have filled the gaps in my musical mind. Guess I'll keep that writing credit straight from now on!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2014, 04:19:57 PM »
If I could go back in time to ANY TOUR AT ALL...it would be the Hemispheres Tour. 

From Cygnus X-1 dot net, the setlist was:

snip

Interesting.  I wonder why they listed the songs in that order.  There's no question at all that this isn't the actual set list order.  At first I thought they were just listing the songs alphabetically, but that's not it, either.  Memory is a fallable thing, but they came out with "2112" then dove into both books of "Cygnus X-1".  We all remember it. 

Not saying you were wrong because you were there and I wasn't but of the dozens of bootlegs I've listened too from this tour,  Both Cygnus' were connected, but 2112 was played later in the set.  While the next tour they opened with 2112  and both Cgynus' were connected farther down in the set.

Here's a few better sounding ones from Hemispheres...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7d2NyzhIAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5_Qcz4r2JQ

And Permanent Waves...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F44x7iYR0lw&index=3&list=PLmtjR38ATGY7sWzA0laNpPkMdJ9o0rn-7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIl0b4vlpjg&index=4&list=PLmtjR38ATGY7sWzA0laNpPkMdJ9o0rn-7

That's funky.  Again, it's possible that I'm misremembering some details, but they definitely opened with 2112 -- the "5 of 7" version -- because it was so amazing that they did that.  I remember the yellow lights every time Geddy sang during "The Temples of Syrinx" but they also came on every time The Priests had a line in "Presentation".  It was the priest's thing.  But when they got to "Hemispheres" Geddy welcomed us to Side One of the new album, so it was the Hemispheres tour.

Here is the setlist.fm page for that evening.  It's the right night because it was The Lansing Civic Center and New England was the opening act.  But there's gotta be something wrong because they didn't just play the first two parts of 2112.  I remember those yellow lights during "Presentation".  There are three yellow lights!  I didn't see Rush again until Moving Pictures, and after that not until Counterparts, so I'm not confusing it with another tour.

I'll admit that I remembered the awesomeness of both books of Cynus X-1 and may have forgoten that they played a few other songs before that.  But this set list is wrong anyway, so who knows?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Permanent Waves
« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2014, 10:03:15 AM »
Following the wildly-progressive Hemispheres, Rush decided to tone down the long song arrangements and try to write shorter, more concept songs for their next album, their 7th, and with the 80s approaching, it seems like Rush was ahead of the curve, as that decade saw a major decline in prog music by bands that had done so much of it in the 70s.  But while many of those bands moved away from prog thanks to band member changes (see: Yes & Genesis), Rush made a conscious decision to start steering away from it, but, being that it was an old habit that was dying hard, the next couple albums still had a few longer tracks. 

Permanent Waves, released on the first day of the new decade, is in many ways THE definitive Rush record, as it cements their status as, first and foremost, a hard rock band, with the prog tendencies still creeping up here and there, most noticeably on the three-part "Natural Science," a 9-minute plus journey of riffs, dynamic shifts and some of the most insane drumming to ever come form the hands and feet of Mr. Neil Peart.  But, while on the previous three or four records, the shorter songs took a backseat to the longer tracks, that was not the case on this one.  The album's first two songs, "The Spirit of Radio" and "Freewill," were not only big rock radio hits for the band at the time, but have endured over the many years as tried and true Rush classics, with diehard and casual fans.  Both are still classic rock mainstays, as well as frequently showing up in the band's set lists.  And for good reason, as both are phenomenal in the studio and live, where they always bring the house down.

As for the other three songs - yes, this is another album with only six songs :lol - "Jacob's Ladder" has, slowly but surely over the years, taken over as my favorite from this record; I love the vibe and pace of it, and the climax, which this air drummer still considers a difficult task to do correctly :lol, is simply jaw-dropping.  "Different Strings" continued their tradition of making the 2nd to last track a "studio only" song, and while some of their attempts at writing mellow songs came off as kind of flat early on ("Rivendell," I am looking at you!), this one was knocked out of the park. The other short rocker, "Entre Nous," is most excellent, as well.

Overall, there isn't a lot more for me to add here. The band has said that writing and recording this album went rather quickly and very smoothly, so there is no controversy or anything like that to be had here; it's just an awesome Rush album chock full of great tunes.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #215 on: October 11, 2014, 10:21:09 AM »
Probably 3rd favourite for me after 2112 and AFTK. It's certainly as good as MP and benefits from not having a Vital Signs on it. No track to skip here.
Great writeup and what a way to see in a new decade.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: October 11, 2014, 10:23:02 AM »
A truly great album, I'd rank it very high if I would do a Rush album ranking. Natural Science is my favourite song here, and one of their very best ever.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #217 on: October 11, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
I love the atmosphere of Jacob's Ladder. The music tells the story as much as the words do.
Natural Science is a favourite for me. Entre Nous and Different Strings are great shorter song.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2014, 10:42:50 AM »
Much like how one can burn AFTK and HEMI onto a single CD-r, you can do the same with PEW and MP, and what a way to open any album - "The Spirit Of Radio" is a huge anthem for them, opening with a mesmerizing guitar riff punctuated by bass and drums before moving into the song's groove. This song had everything the band had - Neil's percussion and mallets/bells, some keys from Geddy, and very impressive playing by Alex. They just took everything that made them who they were and compressed it into a 5 minute song. Between this and "Freewill", they showed of their chops in 10 minutes in a way that most bands couldn't do in a whole album. Of course, you'd think there'd be no way they could top those two songs after it, but then comes along "Jacob's Ladder", which has a TON of meter changes, and that whacky 13/8 in the last half. When I was learning Rush songs on drums, this one was just as much of a challenge as "La Villa Strangiato" or "Cygnus X-1"! There's a lot to be said for that since this is a shorter tune, but it's got "RUSH-EPIC" written all over it.

Side B opens with the same chord/note that closed Side A (though I'm not sure if that was intentional or not), with the more poppy-sounding rocker "Entre Nous", which went unplayed live for decades until a couple tours ago. Then there's the only song on the album not to be played live, "Different Strings", which as Kev pointed out, continued the practice of writing a song for album only and placing it as the 2nd to last song (following "Rivendell", "Tears" and "Madrigal", with more to come in the 80's). It's a beautiful piece with some nice keys and grooves, but it fades out in the end, which I find to be a bit of a bummer, but it's a good set-up to the final track. The rocking epic "Natural Science", formed in 3 movements, contains some of the best playing I've ever heard from the band. There's a heavy, raw intensity here reminiscent of "2112" and "Cygnus X-1", but it still moves forward into new directions.

If Yes had Relayer (which harkened back to Close To The Edge in layout), then Rush had Permanent Waves (which brought the band back to 6 songs, like A Farewell To Kings), both after 6th albums with longer songs (and only four songs, although in the case of Yes, it was four REALLY long songs). This was Rush going back to some shorter songs with a refined formula. They had worked their prog muscles over AFTK and HEMI, but now it was a time to take those chops and slap them on traditional songs, creating something that rock radio had not quite heard before.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2014, 10:55:58 AM »
I'm not really fond of Jacob's Ladder or Freewill (probably my least favorite "well-known" Rush single).  I do love Entre Nous when I heard it in the Snakes & Arrows Live DVD.  Natural Science is just f'en awesome, especially during the Hyperspace section, and nothing else that can be said about The Spirit of Radio (probably my favorite "well-known" Rush single).

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2014, 02:09:35 PM »
Man, this is another great album. I didn't listen to it fully until now: I knew TSOR and Freewill of course, I also knew Entre Nous. Jacob's Ladder and Different Strings were very nice discoveries, especially Jacob's Ladder, a very dark song for Rush. And also, I didn't know any ballads by them so  :tup - Natural Science is also awesome, especially the second section.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline jammindude

« Reply #221 on: October 11, 2014, 02:28:10 PM »
Neil once said that he felt that MP was "the first *real* Rush album"...that comment always confused me because I can see a BIG shift in styles between Hemispheres and PeW, but Moving Pictures to me felt like "Permanent Waves Part 2".   I personally like PeW better, but not by much.  They are both amazing albums.   I just feel that they are so stylistically similar, that it seems odd that Neil would draw a dividing line between the two. 

At the end of the day, this is my #2 all time favorite Rush album (behind Hemispheres).   Just an amazing record.  Rush completely hit their peak at this point.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2014, 03:20:26 PM »
2 favorite album in their collection.  The mix of prog and more accessible songs were perfectly mixed and only improved on by the next album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »
It's certainly as good as MP and benefits from not having a Vital Signs on it.

lol, I agree, but it does have a Different Strings.  this song has really never done anything for me.  is there something to it I'm missing?  like some concept related to it's nonstandard chords and progressions, and calling the song Different Strings?

I've had TSOR stuck in my head for the last few days, and this is one of those rare occasions I'm glad to have a particular song stuck in my head.  It's just a great song.  I also realized after listening to Freewill again how great the bass is in the solo section.  It's hard not to be slapped in the face by the guitars there so I just never concentrated on the bassline.  Geddy is a master, I love listening to his playing and I don't often enough.

Jacob's Ladder is a great proggy song, but I guess I just have something against slow tempos.  I appreciate it intellectually but it always seems to be a slog to get through.

Natural Science is indeed great.  Love the first half, especially, and then the ending, where the last few lines of singing are, until the end.  The more deliberate part in the second half isn't as enjoyable to me, so it's always puzzled me why it's that part they've trotted out at concerts when they don't play the whole song.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2014, 08:54:11 PM »
In my head, I know that Permanent Waves is a good album, possibly a great album.  And it has some great songs on it.  But as a whole, it has never worked for me.  "The Spirit of Radio" is catchy, but I just hate that opening riff, that weirdass hook that keeps coming back, and the way the song keeps shifting gears without a clutch.  Just too weird of a song.  "Freewill" is the same.  Yes, it's catchy; yes, everyone else seems to like it, but I don't.  And for those two reasons, I never listened to Side One and thus never got into "Jacob's Ladder".

Side Two is better.  I kinda like "Entre Nous".  I'm not even sure why.  I'll be the first to admit that it's probably not as good a song as either of the hits, but it does have the benefit of not being played to death on the radio.  Yeah, "Different Strings" is kinda weak, but as Rush ballads go, it's one of the better ones.  "Natural Science' kicks ass, of course, but that makes exactly one song from the entire album that I like, and one that I kinda like.  So after following Rush for a few years, and playing the hell out of A Farewell to Kings, this one came out and was my first real disappointment.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #225 on: October 11, 2014, 09:14:41 PM »
I'm just going to come out and say it.  The Spirit of Radio is just a better "single" than Tom Sawyer is.   They are both great songs, but I think that TSOR has much more of a memorable "hit single" feel to it than TS does.   

As awesome as Tom Sawyer is, I find myself consistently surprised that *that* is their signature tune, when it's not nearly as catchy as some of the rest of their songs...Spirit being a prime example. 

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2014, 02:01:38 AM »
great album and probably my third favorite overall from the band.

toss up between Jacobs Ladder and Natural Science as my favorite from the disc.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2014, 04:56:55 AM »
A truly great album, I'd rank it very high if I would do a Rush album ranking. Natural Science is my favourite song here, and one of their very best ever.
This. I think I prefer PeW to Moving Pictures, although both albums are amazing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2014, 04:57:44 AM »
I'm just going to come out and say it.  The Spirit of Radio is just a better "single" than Tom Sawyer is.   They are both great songs, but I think that TSOR has much more of a memorable "hit single" feel to it than TS does.   

As awesome as Tom Sawyer is, I find myself consistently surprised that *that* is their signature tune, when it's not nearly as catchy as some of the rest of their songs...Spirit being a prime example.
I agree with you wholeheartedly.  TSOR is fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2014, 08:00:57 AM »
I third that.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2014, 12:39:51 PM »
I'll put in a fourth. Don't get me wrong, I could never hear either song again and die happy, but after 3 billion listens if I had to keep hearing one it would certainly be The Spirit of Radio.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mladen

« Reply #231 on: October 12, 2014, 01:03:16 PM »
Fifth.

Here's what I wrote about this album in my ''top 50 albums list'':

The transitional Rush album that achieved the perfect balance between their prog roots and mainstream modern sound that was about to follow. It has some hits that casual fans are familiar with, but also satisfies prog rock fans with a couple of lengthier, more complex songs. Especially impressive is the fact that the band managed to cram all of their elements into such a short album. Every aspect of the band’s sound can be heard on this record, and every member reveals their complete diversity, yet they only needed 36 minutes to say everything that needs to be said about Rush. Quite an achievement.

Favorite songs: Natural science, Jacob’s ladder, The Spirit of radio

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #232 on: October 12, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
Natural Science is my favorite. Maybe even my favorite Rush song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #233 on: October 13, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »

I know what you mean, but while many wildly popular songs have that one great hook, Tom Sawyer seems to have multiple hooks that blended together to make it a very popular song.

First off, you have that intro.  That immediate synth and drum crash, or whatever you want to call it, is probably one of the single greatest 1-second intros to a rock song ever, which sucks you in immediately.

Second, you have that melody.  That melody Alex plays from :46-:51 is just so freaking awesome.  Even when I was a kid who barely knew the song and didn't like Geddy Lee's voice, that 6-second part is what always made want to listen again and again. 

Third, you have those drum fills at the end of the instrumental section, oft-referred to as the most air drummed fills ever (along with that fill in In the Air Tonight).

Combine those things with everything else going on in the song, and it's popularity is not that difficult to fathom, especially since the song came out in 1981, a time when rockers were probably a bit starved for rock songs that would kick their ass once a day and twice on Sundays.

:hat

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #234 on: October 13, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »
Yeah, but TSOR is still a better song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #235 on: October 13, 2014, 04:57:40 PM »
Oh trust me, I'm not hating on Tom Sawyer. It was my very first Rush song, and I knew immediately that I had to own thatiincredible album. I still insist that Spirit is a stronger,  better structured,  catchier song that feels far more like a hit single than TS.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #236 on: October 13, 2014, 10:04:11 PM »
Oh trust me, I'm not hating on Tom Sawyer. It was my very first Rush song, and I knew immediately that I had to own thatiincredible album. I still insist that Spirit is a stronger,  better structured,  catchier song that feels far more like a hit single than TS.

I completely agree about The Spirit Of Radio. In a lot of ways I like Permanent Waves  better than Moving Pictures anyway.

More cover trivia from Hugh Syme:

"Permanent Waves was the result of a conversation which I had with Neil out at his home in the country. We spoke all evening about Rush growing up, and how we were going to do these EKG readings of each member as they weew recording. We were going to tape their temples and chests and have real heartbeats of them while they were playing. So Permanent Waves was going to be a technical statement. and we were going to treat that with red and gold foil., and do a nice study in design as opposed to a photographic thing.
 I walked out and, in the doorway said 'Wait! Let's try something with Donna Reed, with her Permanent Toni hairdo, and have her walking out of a tidal wave situation.' Neil gave me this blank look and said 'Get out of here!' The following day he asked me to consider doing just that because he'd discussed it with the rest of the band and they all thought it was more likely for a cover rather than the serious approach."  (Creem)

"The woman on the cover is a really a symbol of us. If you think that's sexist in a negative way -- well, it's really looking at ourselves so I don't think it can be. The idea is her perfect imperturbability in the face of all this chaos. In that she represents us. In the basic sense, all that cover picture means is forging on regardless, being completely uninvolved with all of the chaos and ridiculous nonsense that's going on around us. Plus, she represents the spirit of music and the spirit of radio, a symbol  of perfect integrity, truth and beauty."  Neil   (Sounds)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #237 on: October 13, 2014, 10:07:53 PM »

The three shortest songs on here are a lot stronger than the shorter tunes on Side B of 2112, especially the classic rock radio hit, "Closer To The Heart", which has seen its fair share of transformations on stage over the decades. The initial-tour-only-played track "Cinderella Man" is another story by Neil, based on literature, and it works pretty well, although I'll never understand why it was an encore on the AFTK Tour. And "Madrigal" was an  interesting piece by Geddy that was soothing enough. Some might call it filler, but it's Rush exploring what they can do with all their new-found equipment.

-Marc.

Don't want to be that guy but you mixed up who wrote what for Cinderella Man and Madrigal. Geddy wrote Cinderella Man while Neil penned Madrigal.

:facepalm: That was a terrible mistake on my part. Whoops! My Rush History isn't what it used to be, I suppose. Then again, I was gaga over them over a decade ago, and learned everything I could as I got in to them, but my knowledge of a decade's plus worth of other bands, new and old, have filled the gaps in my musical mind. Guess I'll keep that writing credit straight from now on!

-Marc.

It's all good.  I forget a bunch of stuff  too many times myself and would want to be corrected when I do so. That was the spirit in which I did it in keeping the record accurate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #238 on: October 13, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »
I slightly prefer The Spirit of Radio as well.  I was just giving probable reasons why Tom Sawyer is so popular.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #239 on: October 14, 2014, 03:19:11 PM »
I always thought Permanent Waves is more of a timeless record than those that came before and after it -- even Moving Pictures.

"Regardless of whether we fit in with today's trends in music or not, the vitality is still very strong. And if you've got that vitality, I don't think the stylistic form of music matters. It doesn't make any difference whether you're doing white reggae or the resurrected '50s rock that most new wave music is made up of, or an ongoing like we represent, a Permanent Wave that isn't affected by styles." ------ Neil     (Chicago Tribune)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »
Another stellar Rush album. If it doesn't land in my top 5 for them, it sure makes it really close.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #241 on: October 14, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »
"The woman on the cover is a really a symbol of us. If you think that's sexist in a negative way -- well, it's really looking at ourselves so I don't think it can be. The idea is her perfect imperturbability in the face of all this chaos. In that she represents us. In the basic sense, all that cover picture means is forging on regardless, being completely uninvolved with all of the chaos and ridiculous nonsense that's going on around us. Plus, she represents the spirit of music and the spirit of radio, a symbol  of perfect integrity, truth and beauty."  Neil   (Sounds)

That's interesting. I've never really "got" the album cover.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #242 on: October 14, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »
I never did, either, and even with Neil's explanation, I'm still not sure if I do.  As a teenager, what caught my attention was the pretty girl strolling along with the wind blowing her skirt so that her underwear is showing.  No surprise there.  All the other stuff going on... irrelevant.  So if the cover is supposed to be symbolic of perfect integrity, truth and beauty, okay that's great, but no one's going to be looking for any deeper meaning than Hey, pretty girl, and you can see her panties.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #243 on: October 14, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
I never did, either, and even with Neil's explanation, I'm still not sure if I do.  As a teenager, what caught my attention was the pretty girl strolling along with the wind blowing her skirt so that her underwear is showing.  No surprise there.  All the other stuff going on... irrelevant.  So if the cover is supposed to be symbolic of perfect integrity, truth and beauty, okay that's great, but no one's going to be looking for any deeper meaning than Hey, pretty girl, and you can see her panties.

The horny mind works in mysterious ways.

I always felt that Rush was affected by it's musical surroundings but always made it their own.  The times were changing with longer sonds and new wave and punk were getting stronger as well as AOR rock.  Rush was able to blend aspects of all perfectly with this album and Moving Pictures.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Moving Pictures
« Reply #244 on: October 15, 2014, 12:39:04 PM »
At the risk of copping out, I don't know what I can say about Moving Pictures that hasn't been said many times by many of us on this forum.  It is easily the band's most popular, accessible and iconic studio record.  While not number 1 on my list, if someone else puts it there, and many do, I have a hard time disagreeing with it.  This, like 2112 and Permanent Waves, is so perfect that it is impossible to find really any fault with it.  Nearly every song on it is a Rush classic, and while "Red Barchetta" has long been my favorite, it seems like every song from this is someone's favorite song from this record.  They were firing on all cylinders at this point, and Moving Pictures is the result. 

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Regarding the album cover, this has long been one of my favorites of theirs.  I love the triple meaning of the words 'moving pictures.'  Great stuff.