Author Topic: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue  (Read 85466 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue
« Reply #1050 on: December 28, 2014, 08:31:06 AM »
Thank you Kev.  As much as I am a Rush nut, I would have no patience or time to do a thread like this.  You rock.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1051 on: December 28, 2014, 08:41:54 AM »
I wasn't sure I'd have time to do it either, once I got a new job in October, but when I had time, I just busted out the written reviews in like 5-10 minutes and posted them.  I feel like I missed out mentioning a lot of things - for example, I didn't talk nearly as much about Neil's lyrics as I would have, had I put more time into it - but I guess I figured that we've all talked about Rush so much over the years that it was okay to not touch on every little thing. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1052 on: December 28, 2014, 09:44:44 AM »
1. Moving Pictures
2. Hemispheres
3. 2112
4. Permanent Waves
5. Counterparts
6. Signals
7. A Farewell To Kings
8. Clockwork Angels
9. Presto
10. Grace Under Pressure
11. Vapor Trails
12. Power Windows
13. Fly By Night
14. Hold Your Fire
15. Rush
16. Caress Of Steel
17. Roll The Bones
18. Test For Echo
19. Snakes And Arrows
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1053 on: December 28, 2014, 11:06:34 AM »
Top.5 Albums:

1. Moving Pictures
2. Permanent Waves
3. Grace Under Pressure
4. Power Windows
5. Clockwork Angels

Top.10 Songs:

1. Mystic Rhytms
2. Witch Hunt
3. Red Sector A
4. Tom Sawyer
5. Middletown Dreams
6. Camera Eye
7. Natural Science
8. Xanadu
9. Manhattan Project
10. Clockwork Angels

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Snakes & Arrows
« Reply #1054 on: January 03, 2015, 03:28:40 PM »
After taking all of 2005 off after the 30th anniversary tour, Rush set about writing and recording their first studio album of original material in early 2006, and they were eventually joined by producer Nick Raskulinecz, who implored the band to try to recapture some of their early sound on this modern record.  The results were mixed.  When Snakes & Arrows eventually came out in the spring of 2007, it was kicked off by a teaser online of the "Far Cry" intro, which ended with the "Hemispheres" chord, which got a lot of fans excited, thinking this was gonna be an album that harkened back to their 70s material, especially given the chatter about how Raskulinecz had tried to push them in that direction.  The thing that reminded the most about their early stuff was the light and dark contract heard quite often between acoustic sections and heavy electric ones, even if the feel of the new songs didn't match up; the dynamic was back in full force, as many songs prominently feature the acoustic guitar, often sounding like they were written on the acoustic given the simple, joyful melodies many of the songs possess. 

Personally, while I found "Far Cry" a bit underwhelming at first, and still do to this day, the album as a whole was very much to my liking.  It was extremely consistent; I liked every songs quite a bit, and several had that "I could see this being a favorite of mine some day" feel, especially "Armor and Sword," "The Main Monkey Business," "Malignant Narcissism" and the highly-underrated "Bravest Face."  There was a lot of good music out in 2007, but this was still a record that got a ton of listens in my CD player, like any new Rush record worth would get.  It was also cool that this was the first Rush studio album ever to feature more than one instrumental.  And it didn't have two, it had three!!  One of them was a nice little acoustic guitar-only tune by Alex Lifeson called "Hope," a song that is nice, if not really all that notable. 

The band was obviously pretty nuts about this album, as they have played 10 of the 13 songs from it live, nine of which were on the S&A tour in '07 and '08.  Oddly, I thought some of the songs didn't come off as well live as they did in the studio, in large part because this was an album so ripe with overdubs - see a song like "Armor and Sword" that is filled with tons of both acoustic and electric guitar - that replicating them live as is, even with triggers, was tough to pull off.  I've always loved the simply melodic joyousness of something like "The Larger Bowl."  You don't often see Rush do a song so simple and so melodic, and they made it work.  "The Way the Wind Blows" was another favorite of mine at first, but for some reason, I merely like it.  It's a good song, but it kind of has that "it could have been better" feel to it, and it kind of teeters into that uber-liberal preachiness that have infected a few of Peart's lyrics in the 21st century (along with "Faithless" and "BU2B").  Peart used to be a lot more subtle when writing about subjects like that, but with those songs he went for more directness and I don't think it benefited the songs.  The lyrics themselves do not bother me at all - I can always deal with lyrics that I do not agree with - but they just seem a bit too overtly wordy and preachy.  But to each his own.

Seven and a half years later, I'd be lying if I said I loved this album nearly as much as I did at first, but I still like it quite a bit.  It has a certain vibe you really won't get on any other Rush album, but while I still like every song on it, the overall album seems to lack that bit of Rush charm that usually is unavoidable.  I am not saying it feels sterile, but there is just something missing from it as a whole that I can't quite put my finger on. 

The only problem with Snakes and Arrows is that Clockwork Angels came after it.

Incredible album that shines even brighter live.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Snakes & Arrows Live
« Reply #1055 on: January 03, 2015, 03:46:18 PM »
I still find it strange that the band couldn't come up with a better name for a live album, rather than the lazy act of just adding "Live" to the end of their most recent studio album, but it is what it is.  A good live record, with a mostly phenomenal set list, featuring a lot of songs that hadn't been played live in a long time or never played before.  The five song-stretch of S&A songs to start the 2nd set was a bit of a buzz kill live, but this is still a great set of Rush tunes.

Awesome live album and DVD only marred by Limelight, but at least they goofed on it which was sort of fun. Bonus footage on the DVD was a nice touch.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Of all the live albums they've put out since 2003, this is probably the one I've listened to the least. Both RIR and R30 were very special, being the big comeback tour and the anniversary, while S&A Live marked a bold statement about their new album, as well as featuring a fair amount of older/rarer songs. The Time Machine tour really only had about half a show's worth of great material, and agreed about Geddy's voice here. It improved a bit for the CAT release, but here it's just a bit hit-or-miss. I believe the story was that he was fighting off a cold just before this show, and since everything had already been set up to record in Cleveland, there wasn't much that could be done. Quite a shame, and I'm sure there are bootlegs out there with better Geddy vocals, but this is the one we got officially.

And to be nitpicky, sure we didn't get a full studio album before this live album, but we didn't really get one before R30 either, and so if you don't count Feedback as a studio album (more of an EP than an LP), this is the 2nd time in 10 years that two live albums were successively released. Unless, if you count the covers EP, you could possibly consider the "Caravan" single, which was released before the Time Machine Tour, and included two early versions of "Caravan" and "BU2B". It's a neat sneak-peak in an album that would take two more years to complete and release, and hearing that single was an amazing thing. I was stunned at the playing and writing, and tried to imagine an album with that level of intensity. Also, the cover to the "Caravan" single was gorgeous, and at first, I had hoped it'd be the cover to next album, but what we got was initially disappointing, but I have since grown to love it. Red really suits the band... (debut logo, the Starman, Hold Your Fire, and probably more...).

-Marc.

Exactly, I consider that single CD/45 to be an official release (especially since these songs are different versions of what came later.)

Again, another awesome live CD/DVD set. The set list is different enough to keep them special and while I wasn't very enthused about the Moving Pictures live idea, it came off rather well in spite of having to hear Limelight again.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1057 on: January 03, 2015, 04:12:14 PM »

The picture speaks for itself.

Though I'm interested to know what it is about Clockwork Angels the people who bailed after Power Windows like so much about Clockwork Angels.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Clockwork Angels Tour
« Reply #1058 on: January 03, 2015, 04:18:37 PM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1059 on: January 03, 2015, 11:18:47 PM »
Though I'm interested to know what it is about Clockwork Angels the people who bailed after Power Windows like so much about Clockwork Angels.

For me, it's that a lot of the songs just sound powerful.  They rock, they have balls.  In the 80's, everything sounded great, but it was all produced and shiny and blended into a sometimes boring pastiche of sound.  Even when they were playing balls-out, it still felt held back somehow, like it had to be all clean and shiny.  Clockwork Angels gets dirty, heavy, ballsy sometimes in ways the 80's stuff just never did.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1060 on: January 03, 2015, 11:37:13 PM »

For me, it's that a lot of the songs just sound powerful.  They rock, they have balls.  In the 80's, everything sounded great, but it was all produced and shiny and blended into a sometimes boring pastiche of sound.  Even when they were playing balls-out, it still felt held back somehow, like it had to be all clean and shiny.  Clockwork Angels gets dirty, heavy, ballsy sometimes in ways the 80's stuff just never did.

After albums like POW and HYF, some of the songs were becoming a bit less adventurous, even by the band's standards. You didn't get songs like "Marathon" or "Manhattan Project" or even "Mission" and "Lock And Key" after these albums. There were a few great ones, some with experimental sounds and others that were obviously influenced by the music of the time, but it did start to feel a bit same-y after awhile.

I think one of the major draws of CA was that it was a full-blown concept album, with a story and characters. Sure, they had "2112" and the "Cygnus X-1" duology back in the 70's, and throughout the 80's and 90's they had thematic albums where Neil's lyrics took on certain ideas, but CA was a story, front to back, and it had accompanying comics and a novel (and an audio-book read by Neil). It was more typical-prog than anything they had done in the last 20 years, so I think that was a huge factor in why a lot of old fans came back to the band.

It was also a good move on the band's part to include a lot of those 80's songs on the CA tour, not just because they were band favorites, but also because they do harken back to a period where the band were really experimenting with a lot of different things, and it always made me laugh when I see people say CA is their best album since POW because the band played half of that album on the CA tour.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1061 on: January 04, 2015, 06:23:28 AM »
I also think the 80's songs are easier on Geddy's voice so it was a logical choice. I was lucky enough to see those songs live in the 80's
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1062 on: January 04, 2015, 06:50:45 AM »
And I still hate you for it. :biggrin: :blush :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: January 04, 2015, 09:03:24 AM »
 :biggrin:

I was thinking at the first show, "Holy crap!  I haven't seen them play tjis live since 1884!"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1064 on: January 04, 2015, 11:17:59 AM »

After PW?? I bailed after Signals!

Rush has set a very high bar in terms of writing and playing. CA is the first album in a very long time that actually lives up to their OWN standards. It is focused, complete, and refined.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: January 04, 2015, 11:50:46 AM »

Rush has set a very high bar in terms of writing and playing. CA is the first album in a very long time that actually lives up to their OWN standards. It is focused, complete, and refined.

That's a good description of CA

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: January 04, 2015, 01:14:44 PM »

Power Windows and Counterparts says Ne-Ner, Ne-Ner good sir!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1067 on: January 04, 2015, 01:17:19 PM »
I probably like Counterparts a little more myself, but CA has that "classic" feel to it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: January 04, 2015, 01:18:30 PM »
I certainly does.  To me it's proof bands need producers to push them as they get into their career.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1069 on: January 10, 2015, 10:30:17 AM »

Interesting. What would say was wrong with say....Vapor Trails. (If you can discount the obvious. If you can't that's fine because that IS there, but besides that.)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1070 on: January 11, 2020, 06:09:09 AM »
Bump.

I'll be here for a while.  Think I'll re-read a few pages per day as I go along with the discography.  Just wrapping up The Necromancer at the moment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1071 on: January 11, 2020, 08:15:14 AM »
This thread was a blast to do. I will have to go back and re-read it as well.  Good bump, Chad. :tup :tup

Online faizoff

« Reply #1072 on: January 11, 2020, 09:14:14 AM »
Never saw this thread before, will have to check it out while listening to their discography now. Still can't believe it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1073 on: January 11, 2020, 11:34:47 AM »
I'll definitely find that clip. I've never seen that as I think S&A is generally terrible.

But let me amend that to say that I will listen to it during my discog run with an open and fresh mind considering what just happened, so I can find an new appreciation for it.

I never considered S&A terrible, but it is in the lower 1/2 of my rankings. But to your latter point, Ima already finding things to like in songs I generally thought were not good. The Fountain of Lamenth was a really nice listen earlier. 

2112 is next... though I've preferred the Different Stages version since 1996. I might just bypass the studio version.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1074 on: January 11, 2020, 11:45:07 AM »
The studio version of 2112 is biblical for me. I'm off this weekend so I actually have Caress Of Steel on now, though I think we're heading out shortly.

I honestly never connected with anything on S&A. I always felt they tried to cram in music around the lyrics. But I am not skipping it this week.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1075 on: January 11, 2020, 11:49:13 AM »
Snakes and Arrows is a great album, imo, but it was definitely a grower for me.  First listen was like "ok...." but with time, the songs started to click for me; not all at once, but I'd find myself really enjoying one, then another would click, etc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1076 on: January 11, 2020, 11:57:23 AM »
I don't like Snakes & Arrows now as much as I did when it was first released, but I still like it.  I would definitely place in my bottom tier, though, which of course is no shame since there is no Rush album I do not like.  The very dry sound of the production is bothersome, however.  Even though I like all three albums they did this century, there are major sound issues with all of them (Vapor Trails is loud and noisy, S&A is too dry, Clockwork Angels is brickwalled to death).  The bottom tier albums are the one I rarely reach for anymore (the debut, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: January 11, 2020, 12:01:05 PM »
I'll definitely find that clip. I've never seen that as I think S&A is generally terrible.

But let me amend that to say that I will listen to it during my discog run with an open and fresh mind considering what just happened, so I can find an new appreciation for it.

I never considered S&A terrible, but it is in the lower 1/2 of my rankings. But to your latter point, Ima already finding things to like in songs I generally thought were not good. The Fountain of Lamenth was a really nice listen earlier. 

2112 is next... though I've preferred the Different Stages version since 1996. I might just bypass the studio version.

I was in the 6th row in front of Geddy for that version of 2112. They were on fire that night.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1078 on: January 11, 2020, 12:12:53 PM »
I don't like Snakes & Arrows now as much as I did when it was first released, but I still like it.  I would definitely place in my bottom tier, though, which of course is no shame since there is no Rush album I do not like.  The very dry sound of the production is bothersome, however.  Even though I like all three albums they did this century, there are major sound issues with all of them (Vapor Trails is loud and noisy, S&A is too dry, Clockwork Angels is brickwalled to death).  The bottom tier albums are the one I rarely reach for anymore (the debut, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows).

Huh, I always thought the production and sound was the only thing S&A had going for it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: January 11, 2020, 12:33:44 PM »
Don't have time or patience to read through this whole thread, but might skim through to read posts by Kev, jingle, and others I consider forum friends and whose musical insights and opinions I value.

I like Rush enough to say I put 2112-MP as maybe my favorite 5-album stretch of any band, while I am lukewarm at best toward the rest of their material, with exceptions like The Pass, which I might put in my favorite 20 songs of all time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1080 on: January 11, 2020, 06:40:27 PM »
So I just finished the first Rush Era of the discog. First, Permanent Waves. This album is amazing. It stretches my imagination with it's sound and music. Natural Science is and has always been mind blowing.

At first I thought of skipping Moving Pictures in this exercise. It's literally one of my most listened to albums in my life. But I listened and I'm so glad I did. This is one of those musical life changing albums.

Moving Pictures came out in the middle of my 7th grade. Within a few months I had all of their 8 tracks. The summer of '81 was about three bands. AC/DC, Van Halen, and Rush.

But there was something different about Rush. They made music that was so interesting, and challenging. They would ultimately lose me with Signals and their 80's output, as I was a hard rock fan at my core. What Rush would do I would not find very interesting. I have come to love most of their 80's Era, but at the time, I didn't pay a huge amount of attention.

So while I don't have that "soundtrack to my life" experience that many of you have, Rush was one of my main influences in my most formative years. One of my first "favorite bands. Those early Rush albums will always be so special to me. :\

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: January 11, 2020, 06:49:07 PM »
Moving Pictures sounded so modern for it's time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1082 on: January 11, 2020, 06:56:06 PM »
Moving Pictures sounded so modern for it's time.

It sounds modern now!

Permanent Waves too.

How can albums made these days sound like such ass when albums recorded in 1979 can sound so fantastic?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: January 11, 2020, 06:57:01 PM »
Question for all... I have said that 2112-MP might be my favorite 5 album stretch of music ever. Rush music before 2112 is pretty meh for me, the 80s output is hit or miss (more miss than hit), and I like to varying degrees everything Presto and beyond, though I am not as familiar with it as with the rest of their catalog. Is there a live album (or albums) that I would should check out? I don't own any, nor have I given any a good listen.

This also made me wonder if Rush will see a spike in their album sales, as so often happens after an artist's passing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: January 11, 2020, 06:59:17 PM »
Brick walls my friend. Rush had so much dimension in their sound even in an album.

Bands today don't have dimension and it's a wall of sound.

Chris, Counterparts is for you.