Author Topic: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue  (Read 85481 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Caress of Steel
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2014, 11:38:16 AM »
I'm just to lazy to even do a thread like this Kev so you are all right.  Hell, I'm to lazy to add something to this and I'm a Rush nut! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »
 :lol :lol

I suspect the updates will be longer and more informative now that we are getting to the really good stuff. :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2014, 12:29:26 PM »
  Hell, I'm to lazy to add something to this and I'm a Rush nut! :lol
:lol

Okay, cool. :coolio

Maybe I am just seeing jingle's epic write-ups in the LZ thread and having an inferiority complex about it. :facepalm: :lol :lol

Don't let him intimidate you!! Nothing wrong with this thread.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: 2112
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2014, 12:40:58 PM »
The future of Rush was now at stake. Caress of Steel was a flop, and the ensuing tour, dubbed the "Down the Tubes tour" by the band themselves thanks to the crowds being smaller than they were earlier that year on the Fly by Night tour, was very disheartening to the guys, who fell that they were doing the right thing as they had some growing pains, but they had little support. The record company was bugging them to return to their hard rock roots of the first album, and the three met and figured they could do one of the three things:

1) Make another first album.
2) Quit.
3) Say,"to hell with it," and keep doing what they wanted to do.

The more they talked about, the angrier they got, as they knew they were on the right path, even though it was bumpy at times, so they happily chose number 3, which the record company couldn't do a thing about, since Rush had been given creative control in their contract.  And off they went to record their fourth album, 2112, where the sidelong title track would not only be the song that would lift them up and propel them into the stratosphere where they still remain, but would arguably stand all these years later as their best and most important piece of music ever.  Inspired by the writing of Ayn Rand, Neil Peart wrote a conceptual set of lyrics that centered around individualism, with the setting being a futuristic world.  In reality, the song is not only about one man's fight against the oppressive leaders, but Rush's fight against the record company for creative freedom and control. Rush would win.

Rush won, because 2112 was an immediate hit, selling more records in the first month than the first three records had sold at that point combined! The title track was the reason, as it was heavy and long, yet accessible at the same time, not to mention being all of Side 1, which infuriated the record exes, who couldn't do a thing about it since Rush had creative control, so they couldn't move it to Side 2 and put all of the short songs on Side 1. Radio stations even played all 20 minutes and 34 seconds of it back then (remember, this was the 70s!).  I still remember the first time I heard all of it; to say in inspired awe would be an understatement. :lol  I was still a lukewarm Rush fan at the time (this was the fall of 1991), but "2112" annihilating me the way it did really opened my eyes as to how great Rush was and is. 

Getting back to Rush's victory, while their win over the record company was more than obvious, the victory over the solar federation was more ambiguous for a bit, thanks to the death of the protagonist in the sixth part of the song, but the grand finale makes it quite clear of the victory:

Attentions all planets of the solar federation
Attentions all planets of the solar federation
Attentions all planets of the solar federation (7 words x 3 times = 21)
We have assumed control
We have assumed control
We have assumed control (4 words x 3 times = 12)

The band, years later, remarked that they had no idea about that and that it was unintentional, but I think they are just being coy. :lol

I know some think "2112" doesn't sound totally cohesive thanks to stop and starts in between the majority of the movements, but I look at the different parts at snapshots of a story we are only told parts of.  Visually, think of each part as a door opening and us getting a brief glimpse of the story, and the door closes, we move on to another part, and then another door opens.  The story is complete, but we are merely given snapshots of the major events. Make sense?

But, there is more to 2112 than just the title track; a lot more! Side 2 is jammed pack with a handful of excellent short songs, all under four minutes, from rockers like "A Passage to Bangkok" and "Lessons," to a lovely ballad like "Tears," to a rocker with great dynamic shifts like "Something for Nothing," to the oddly creepy, yet most excellent, "Twilight Zone."  As great as "2112" is, Side 2 being as good as it is, is a large reason why 2112 is such a great record.

Not only was the songwriting better on this record, but Geddy Lee's voice really started getting better here.  Sure, he had the crazy howling, like in the Temples of Syrinx section, but some of the softer singing, heard in many parts of the "2112" and "Tears," really showed that he knew how to his voice depending on the song and its nature, even if he was still a little rough around the edges at times. Meanwhile, Neil Peart's drumming has never been as furious as it was on this record, and I still maintain that the lead tone Alex Lifeson had on Caress of Steel and 2112 is the best he has ever had. The guitar solos in the No One at the Bridge section of "The Fountain of Lamneth" and at the end of "The Twilight Zone" display this quite clearly, IMO.  Overall, this is not only the most important Rush record to date, but arguably their best.  It is often said that bands do their best work when they have something to prove, and 2112 is a shining example of this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2014, 12:43:54 PM »
I freaking LOVE 2112! The song and the album. Something For Nothing is one of my favorite Rush songs ever.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2014, 12:47:10 PM »
Awesome write up; 2112 is pure epic!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2014, 01:07:21 PM »
Fantastic writeup, and definitely one of my favorite Rush albums.  I will listen again this weekend.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2014, 01:18:20 PM »
I freaking LOVE 2112! The song and the album. Something For Nothing is one of my favorite Rush songs ever.

This. All of this!

Nice write-up, Kev. I didn't realise until popping in for 2112 that you'd been struggling with your write-ups. I think they've been perfect so far. So, yeah, keep it going.

The buzz for this album, when it was released, was like nothing I ever experienced before or since. To say that all my friends, my friends siblings, their girlfriends, some of our teachers and more than a few parents were buzzed about the sound, scope and compositions on this record just doesn't really capture it.

My choir teacher in Junior High wrote some harmonies for Tears and we sang it in class. I had a jewelry class and our teacher who was a prog-maniac (we'd listen to Gentle Giant during class) loved this record and whenever Passage to Bangkok came on he'd disappear into the stock room (if you know what I'm sayin')

If you went to a Friday or Saturday night kegger, 2112 (the song) was almost always played at the end of the night and everyone would just stop what they were doing and listen. Everyone, and I mean it literally, that I hung with owned this album...even girl-friends. Among the rockers of the '70's this was THE most accessible prog-rock record out there. You might get shouted at if you put on ELP, Kansas, Yes, King Crimson, or even other Rush albums but no-one complained about 2112.

I love this album for so many reasons more than just nostalgia, but make no mistake, the nostalgia with this record is off the charts!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2014, 01:28:02 PM »
A jewelry class?

2112 is one of those records where a band goes "next level".

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »
A couple of years ago I bought the super deluxe edition of 2112. It came with a comic book and a blu ray version of the comic.  This version drastically increased my interest in the album and I highly highly recommend it

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2014, 01:33:26 PM »
A jewelry class?

Yes, I had Jewelry Design for an art class. Man, was there a lot of fringe benefits with that! :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2014, 01:33:35 PM »
Ah, the first of their string of classic albums. The title track is beyond epic, A Passage To Bangkok has a chorus designed for live greatness, The Twilight Zone is very creepy and eerie (listen to that overdubbed whispering vocals), Lessons is a cool midtempo rocker, Tears is such a beautiful ballad, and Something For Nothing rounds it off as a great rocking number. Love this album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2014, 01:34:27 PM »
A jewelry class?

Yes, I had Jewelry Design for an art class. Man, was there a lot of fringe benefits with that! :)

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42354.0
 ;D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2014, 01:41:55 PM »
Oh man, this album.  This Album!  This was my favorite Rush album for a long time.  Well, "a long time" is relative since back in those days, bands usually released an album a year, and there were only four albums so far anyway.  But by this time (1976) I was already getting into Prog, and with 2112, Rush finally joined the ranks of Yes and King Crimson with a "real" side-long epic.  And what made it even cooler was that they were a power trio.  To my junior high mind, a 20-minute seven-part epic like "2112" was pretty much the epitome of what you could do with guitar, bass, and drums.  (And I still think that.)

And the coolest thing was that the "regular" songs on Side Two all kicked ass, too.  Rush showed that they pretty much could do it all.  They could rock out with the basic four-minute ass-kicker, they could prog out, they even had a mellow song (which is probably my least favorite song on the album, but whatever).

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2014, 02:59:40 PM »
The first classic Rush album IMO :) It would probably be in my top 5 or 6 if I had to rank the discography. Lessons feels like a filler track, but the rest of the album is amazing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »
Firstly, I love Caress Of steel. I didn't for the longest time - soundwise it was a step back from FBN - but it has grown on me over the years. I'm also a fan of I Think I'm Going Bold - I've been there  :biggrin:

2112 is just awesome. It was the 2nd Rush album I heard after AFTK and they are both my favourites. It was number 7 in my top 50 and AFTK 3, but they could be interchangeable really.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2014, 05:47:52 PM »
I absolutely adore 2112...but over time, it hasn't really aged well for me.

The title track is certainly a turning point...a huge step forward in epic songwriting.  But as 2112 is to Fountain of Lamneth, so is Cygnus X-1 Book 2: Hemishperes is to 2112.  But we'll save that one for later.

My point is that even the title track was eclipsed just two years later, and the short tracks on Side 2 are spotty.   Bangkok is just OK, Twilight Zone is good, Lessons and Tears are underappreciated, and Something for Nothing is a song I used to love, but it's just too repetitive. 

On the whole, a very very good album, but completely outclassed by their later output.    Best album up to this point, but a mid-tier Rush album for me.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2014, 07:47:37 PM »
This is where Rush becomes awesome. Not much to say about this one, I thoroughly love all of it. It's probably my least favorite of their "classic" albums, but that's not saying a whole lot since it's still a top tier album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »
Wow, my opinion seems to be pretty different from most people here.

First off, great write-up Kev.  Fall of 91 is when I got into Rush as well, after my brother introduced me to them in the summer.

Side 1 is indeed great.  I agree with Jammindude that compositionally, Hemispheres surpasses 2112.  But it also doesn't rock as hard, for sure.

But side 2?  might be the biggest concentration of mediocre Rush songs that I skip most of the time, with the exception of Something For Nothing, which I think might be their best straight-ahead rocker in their entire catalog.  By straight-ahead, I mean that would be palatable for radio.  It's more sophisticated, polished, and tight than their  other rockers from the first 3 albums.  Great album closer.

Clearly Rush progressed greatly after this album, but they also lost some of that raw energy that is still on display here for the last time.  Makes sense that they capped off this era with their first live album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2014, 09:29:06 PM »
My lifeblood, spills over for this album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2014, 09:55:06 PM »
Late as fuck, I know.

One thing I loved with early-era Rush is that each album marked a progression for the band. Rather than radically changing their sound with every album, they slowly developed it and gradually built up upon their previous releases.

The self-titled isn't the band fully evolved yet, but definitely gives a hint to the great stuff yet to come. But more than just being precursor, it's still a very solid debut effort. Finding My Way, Here Again, What You're Doing, and of course, Working Man are all great, rockin' tracks. It lacks the flare that Peart brought to complete the trio, but Rutsey does his job and you know what? He does it really well.

Fly by Night is where I began to hear more progressive elements, made clear with By Tor & the Snow Dog, generally and justifiably regarded as the best track here, and I still have lots of love for Anthem and the title track as well. I know Rivendell sticks out like a sore thumb and many outright dislike it, but I enjoy it a lot. :lol It's a nice change of pace and opened up the band to more versatile song-writing.

Caress of Steel is where I feel they truly began to feel out for their ability to write epic, longer songs with The Necromancer and The Fountain, both of which I adore. Bastille Day is another great opening track (something the guys, at this point, were becoming pretty damn good at). Admittedly, I'm not too keen on the remaining two songs, but they don't drag down the album as a whole by any means.

Ahhh, 2112. I've come to appreciate another particular Rush album more, but how great the album is can't be stated enough. This is where Rush became Rush. By this time, they've become fully realized and would continue to develop further from here. The song 2112 is definitely the big motherfucker of Rush epics. I can never do it justice with words. It was the first Rush song I'd ever heard and it completely blew me away right form the get-go and however many years later it still leaves a lasting impression. I know a lot of fans don't dig the second side with it's collection of shorter tracks, but they're all still excellent to me.

Anyways, I really dig the write-ups Kev. Guess you don't need to be told fifty times, but keep it up! :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2014, 03:27:15 AM »
The riffing in 2112 (song) is just awesome. As good as anything anywhere.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2014, 05:14:06 AM »
Okay, cool. :coolio

Maybe I am just seeing jingle's epic write-ups in the LZ thread and having an inferiority complex about it. :facepalm: :lol :lol

Yeah, well at least you're moving at a decent pace here.  Work has been crazy for me lately, so that's slowing me down.  I'm totally digging your writeups too.

I suspect the updates will be longer and more informative now that we are getting to the really good stuff. :metal

Yes... the first three albums are surely the least regarded of the Rush eras, so (at least for the next 9-10 albums) I'm sure there will be much to say.

Will comment on CoS and 2112 later this morning... gotta get to my LZ listening!!!  :jets:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2014, 07:32:07 AM »
Caress of Steel:

Probably at the bottom of my stack ranking of Rush albums.  On first listen, it was almost a complete WTF for me.  Lakeside Park is one of their staples on Classic Rock radio up here.  I deeply discovered Rush (beyond the radio hits) in '90 with Chronicles, so Bastille Day was an awesome listen.  Then to hear the other three tracks... WTF.  They've aged ok, but still, this is an album I would rarely seek out to listen to.

Fun Facts:
1975 Rush won the Juno for "Most Promising New Group".  BTO was at the top of the Juno awards with Group of the Year, Album of the Year, and Producer of the Year (to Randy)
The album cover was the start of Hugh Syme's path to that career.  Prior to that, he was keyboardist for The Ian Thomas Band
The album cover was botched in production - it was supposed to be silver, not brass or gold (or whatever tone you interpret it to be)
'Bald' was written for Max Webster frontman Kim Mitchell, and also a bit of an ode to Kiss's Goin Blind.
Terry Brown on the record - "We went out on a limb with that one, and it nearly cost me my career."
Neil on the record - "I often equate it to children's drawings on the refrigerator that hang around too long.  I really wish that they would just go away."  :lol
Rush would play support for acts such as Blue Oyster Cult, Mott the Hoople, and UFO
Alex ended up having to take a job pumping gas, and helping his dad on plumbing jobs when they got back home from touring.

2112:

The song is of course in the 'God-tier' category.  Side two has its ups and downs, with Something For Nothing being the highlight for me.  For me, this album starts the greatest 5 album run ever in the history of music.  The structure of the title track has just the same kind of start/stop moments that 'The Fountain' does, but lyrically it's so much more cohesive, and musically it's vastly superior.

Fun Facts:
It was released on April 1st, 1976, and hit 250,000 in sales by the release of All the World's a Stage, just 6 months later.  Suck it Mercury!
Hugh Syme got to add a spot of Mellotron and synths on the album.
Critics slagged the album... "... the same old science fiction schtick.... surely we've heard it all before"
For $6, you could've seen Rush open for Montrose and Robin Trower; $7 at the door.
This album would launch them internationally, heading over to Britain to tour there for the first time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2014, 09:21:17 AM »
Thanks, guys. :hat

As far as Neil's "I often equate it to children's drawings on the refrigerator that hang around too long.  I really wish that they would just go away." quote, I think he was referring to both Fly by Night and Caress of Steel there, and in the same train of thought he said, "Given my druthers, I would make our first album Moving Pictures. I can't think of a single reason not to do that." :eek :eek :eek

Then again, Neil, of the three, has by far the least amount of appreciation for their 70s work.  I'll bet if he had his way, they'd never play anything from pre-1980.

Online Mladen

« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
The title track is a masterpiece and one of my favorite Rush songs. It was my number one for a while, but I think there are a couple I'd place above it nowadays. What makes the album so fantastic is the fact that there isn't a single throwaway song when it comes to the shorter ones, which is something that not a lot of albums with a side long epic can brag about (Tarkus? Foxtrot?). I especially love Bangkok, which is my go-to track when I'm in the mood for older Rush straight out rock songs, and Tears is another highlight - a gorgeous, criminally underrated ballad. Such a great record overall...

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2014, 09:51:34 AM »
Thanks, guys. :hat

As far as Neil's "I often equate it to children's drawings on the refrigerator that hang around too long.  I really wish that they would just go away." quote, I think he was referring to both Fly by Night and Caress of Steel there, and in the same train of thought he said, "Given my druthers, I would make our first album Moving Pictures. I can't think of a single reason not to do that." :eek :eek :eek

Then again, Neil, of the three, has by far the least amount of appreciation for their 70s work.  I'll bet if he had his way, they'd never play anything from pre-1980.

I can understand what he's saying.  I think he's thinking more about the lyrics than the music.  And since he's changed his political attitudes notably since then, I think it's hard for him to hear them or think they're a little juvenile.

I think if you asked him specifically about the music though, he wouldn't have as much of a problem with that.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2014, 11:26:35 AM »
I much prefer Carees of Steel to 2112. I don't know why, but 2112's second side is nowhere near as good as the main piece of 2112, though I do like A Passage To Bangkok.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread, now featuring: Rush
« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »
"I'm a Market Square Hero speeding the heat of the street pulse; the street pulse....."

I like the first album a lot. Favorites are Here Again, Before and After, Finding My Way and What You're Doing....

Always found it interesting that Ray Danniels didn't think the band would make it with Geddy as the vocalist early on.

Also interesting was that John Rutsey tore up most if not all of the lyrics in a fit of rage right before they recorded the album and that Geddy had to come up with something on very short notice.

It cost $400 to register the Mood Records name and logo.

"Putting out a record was a really big deal, going into the studio. And I remember thinking. going into the studio; all  the musicians I like, and all the bands that I like, do this. This is what they do. At one time sure, they played bars and high schools or whatever, but to go into a studio and record something that's permanent; that was a big deal. And then of course hearing it on the radio followed that. And again because it was in Toronto, it meant even more to me, 'cause this was our hometown." ---- Alex  (Up Close)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread, now featuring: Fly by Night
« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2014, 12:17:12 PM »
I love In The End, though the All The World's A Stage version is so much better than the studio.

So do I. I'm not as much of a fan of Fly By Night as some others here are (I really get off on Caress of Steel) but I love songs like In The End and Beneath, Between and Behind and Making Memories.  Anthem is pretty cool too I guess. And of course live they sound much better.

A few quotes.....

"I packed up my drums and my records and moved to England when I was 18 thinking I'd just find a band. I was a big fish in a small pond, and threw myself into the biggest pond possible, musically speaking. It was all very depressing and very educational. In trying out for a band I'd discover that they were far, far over my head in technical knowledge, in their mastery of the language and also in their snobbery----I'd just go away feeling like a piece of dirt." ----- Neil  (Musician)

"At the time he had never written any lyrics....had never thought of it I don't think. We had a date, like eight days later to play at Pittsburgh's Civic Arena opening for Uriah Heep and Manfred Mann. So that was first and foremost in our minds; we were just looking for a drummer. We never though about lyrics or anything like that. The more we got to know Neil, the more we realized his immense knowledge of the English language and his interest in reading. He was a very different person for us --- a person full of ideas and very verbose. Alex and I looked at each other --- this is the guy to solve all of our problems (laughs)    ------Geddy    (In The Studio)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2014, 12:32:32 PM »
COS is my favorite of the first three albums. Lakeside Park being my favorite song from all three albums and one of my all time favorite Rush songs. The song captures such a good feeling of nostalgia, "Though it's just a memory, some memories last forever."

Absolutely!   Some days I like it even better than 2112. (It certainly gets played just as much)

I'm always amused that Kiss pretty much disowned them musically after the tour (although Kiss did explode during this time)

More quotes.....

"Our management were worried, the record company though we were going down the tubes. We weren't making any money at all, we didn't get paid for months and we got pissed off   -----Alex   (Sounds)

"It was a low point for us in some ways, but it was also the time that we realized we had to be our own biggest fans and just make the music we believed in."  ----Geddy (Hit Parader)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2014, 12:57:25 PM »
A couple of years ago I bought the super deluxe edition of 2112. It came with a comic book and a blu ray version of the comic.  This version drastically increased my interest in the album and I highly highly recommend it

Interesting. The only thing I like about that particular release was the bonus tracks of Overture/Temples from 1981 and A Passage To Bangkok from 1980. Could have done without the rest of that package although I suppose it's nice to stick it in the DVD player once in a while and listen to it.

I love 2112.  I'll never get tired of hearing it live and takes on a whole new meaning now than when it was first recorded. It has more of a celebratory tone now.

That said a lot of this album sonically does sound kind of dated to me and is clearly trapped in the '70s, but I still find it a very rewarding listen. Big fan of  Something For Nothing, Tears and Lessons too.

"There's a lot of anger on it because that's what we feeling. It was a key album. If it hadn't been successful, it probably would have been our last."  ----Neil   (LA Times)

"A lot of the early stuff  I'm really proud of. Some of it sounds really goofy, but some of it  stands up better than I give it credit for. As weird as my voice sounds when I listen back, I certainly dig some of the arrangements. I can't go back beyond 2112 really, because that starts to get a bit hairy for me., and if I hear "Lakeside Park" on the radio, I cringe. What a lousy song! Still, I don't regret anything that I've done." ----- Geddy   (Raw 1993)

Online Mladen

« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2014, 02:28:55 PM »
My lifeblood, spills over for this album.
Took me too long to get this. And I think it's not the first time I'm late with getting references.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »
I chuckled when I saw that post.  Well done, kingshmegland. :hat

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2014, 11:17:46 PM »
This is where Rush becomes awesome. Not much to say about this one, I thoroughly love all of it. It's probably my least favorite of their "classic" albums, but that's not saying a whole lot since it's still a top tier album.

Yup, top tier but the four albums after it are even better imo.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.